PDA

View Full Version : Paging Kachina Ken

sigepmock
09-20-2004, 01:09 PM
oops wrong guy,
The fuel pump in my truck is not putting out the required pressure at high rpm's so it needs to get replaced. I have been quoted $609 installed from the dealer does this sound correct? And should it be dying already? Only 48000 miles on the truck.
03 2500HD 6.0L
Thanks,
Chris

Kachina26
09-20-2004, 01:24 PM
I don't think Ken is in the car business. I am a GMC tech, those pumps are typically around $300 or so just for the part. We get about $270 to install and then add a fuel filter for about $50, and that's about right. Have you replaced the fuel filter before?

sigepmock
09-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Sorry Kachina26,
You're the guy I was looking for. Sorry Ken. :frown:
Yes I have replaced the filter before and I actually tested the fuel pressure about 9 months ago before I installed the Whipple and it was fine but now it sounds like the pump didn't like the extra load that was put on it to keep up with the supercharger. Just wanted to see if the price was in the right ballpark and if you know of any issues with the pumps. Thanks for your help.
Chris

Kachina26
09-20-2004, 01:53 PM
I doubt that your whipple had any affect on the pump. I might question the findings of your mechanic. Most fuel pumps on newer vehicles fail or run, low pressure is rarely a concern. A dirty mass air flow sensor,(contaminated by an over oiled KandN filter) can mimic a bad fuel pump including setting a lean code. Make sure your guy checked pressure is all I'm saying, but he sounds fair on the price.
Hope this helps.

sigepmock
09-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Thanks Kachina26,
The truck is actually at Whipple right now and they are using it as a test bed for some 03 Whipple kit upgrades. They were testing it with all the new goodies and fine tuning the ECM tune when they encountered a slighty lean condition at high RPM's. They tested everything out and discovered the fuel pressure was dropping off at high RPM's. They thought it might be a clogged fuel filter but I replaced it once already at about 36k miles and it has 49k miles now, so we don't think that's it. They took it to the local dealer who helps them out on stuff like this and he said it was a bad fuel pump. I'm not there so I have to trust the guys and so far they have been up front and honest going above and beyond. So I think I will just have it replaced and then if the problem still exists afterward, I'm sure they'll track it down and work something out with me. Thanks again for your help.
Chris

Kachina26
09-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Sounds like you are in good hands there.
Randy

KACHINA KEN
09-20-2004, 11:27 PM
I don't think Ken is in the car business.
Nope but I do alot of car shows (lighting) :p

Havasu Hangin'
09-21-2004, 04:10 AM
Most fuel pumps on newer vehicles fail or run, low pressure is rarely a concern. A dirty mass air flow sensor,(contaminated by an over oiled KandN filter) can mimic a bad fuel pump including setting a lean code. Make sure your guy checked pressure is all I'm saying, but he sounds fair on the price.
Hope this helps.
I am on my third fuel pump on my '04 Sub 8.1. It has a whopping 5,000 miles on the truck. According to the GM engineers...it is a "known problem".

Kachina26
09-21-2004, 05:43 AM
I am on my third fuel pump on my '04 Sub 8.1. It has a whopping 5,000 miles on the truck. According to the GM engineers...it is a "known problem".
Wow, I haven't run into that yet. We have had our share of fuel pump issues in the past, so I'm not doubting it. Pretty happy that I'm not seeing it too, those tanks are a booger to remove.

djunkie
09-21-2004, 05:57 AM
I have worked on many chevy trucks and replaced lots of fuel pumps in them. They do have a tendancy of premature failure. I've learned that it helps to fill your truck up before it hits quarter tank. Those fuel pumps rely on the gas in the tank to keep them cool. Also it may not be a bad idea to change your fuel filter every 10,000 miles. I have had many times when I thought I was having motor problems and it ended up just being a plugged filter. Hope this helps...Good luck

Kachina26
09-21-2004, 06:03 AM
I have worked on many chevy trucks and replaced lots of fuel pumps in them. They do have a tendancy of premature failure. I've learned that it helps to fill your truck up before it hits quarter tank. Those fuel pumps rely on the gas in the tank to keep them cool. Also it may not be a bad idea to change your fuel filter every 10,000 miles. I have had many times when I thought I was having motor problems and it ended up just being a plugged filter. Hope this helps...Good luck
You can go 30k miles on filters, it is good to keep gas in the vehicle. And yes, we had MANY fuel pump problems in the mid 90's. I still make good money replacing them, but not as many as I used to. Not to worry, GM will change the design of them and I will have another rash of them. Maybe the 04's will be the ones?

Havasu Hangin'
09-21-2004, 07:22 AM
Also it may not be a bad idea to change your fuel filter every 10,000 miles. I have had many times when I thought I was having motor problems and it ended up just being a plugged filter.
I was told that the 04's have the filter built in the tank with the pump. Lifetime filter? What the hell is that all about?

Kachina26
09-21-2004, 07:24 AM
I was told that the 04's have the filter built in the tank with the pump. Lifetime filter? What the hell is that all about?
That's about BS, Dodge has been doing it for years. Kia does it, I don't like it. I don't know if it's for cost reduction, or ease of assembly at the plant or what. But that's what I mean about them making a change that ultimately results in more money for me.
:idea:

Havasu Hangin'
09-21-2004, 07:28 AM
Even if I put one inline, it will still be after the one in the tank.
Maybe they expect to change pumps every 30,000 miles with the filter? Can you say, "disposable pump"?