PDA

View Full Version : no mess oil change

Mighty Thor
09-20-2004, 06:09 PM
I have read several posts and articles about how to change the oil on your boat and there are suggestions ranging from pumping out through the dipstick to installing fancy drain plugs and associated plumbing. There are also those who just drain into the bilge and then clean up the mess.
Here is a simple no mess solution that should work for most boats:
1. Get a couple of heavy duty garbage bags and put one inside the other. 30 gallon seems to work the best for me.
2. Buy or borrow sawdust. my neighbor is a cabinet maker so I just raid his garbage can. You can get it at pet stores, home improvement, farm and ranch, lots of places.
3. Tuck the garbage sacks under the engine so that the oil can drain into the opened bags. Pour the sawdust into the bags, the more the better but keep in mind that you will need to remove the whole package later.
4. Open the drain and let the oil drain into the bag with the sawdust, you should be able to pull the oil filter and let it drain too.
5. The sawdust should soak up the oil and make it less likely to slosh around. Replace the drain plug and the filter and then carefully pull the garbage sack out from under the engine being carefull not to catch the plastic and tear it. dispose of the bag and oil in an appropriate manner.
6. I have done this several times on three different boats and never spilled a drop.

Infomaniac
09-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Great idea !!
I have used that technique to catch the v-drive oil. Minus the saw dust. Not that much oil in the v-drive.

TRG
09-21-2004, 07:55 AM
i read the article in the new HB mag about a quick disconnect hose,... seems to be the easiest way to do a service! check it out!
just my pennies in the bucket!

Havasu Cig
09-21-2004, 04:50 PM
The hoses make it easy. Just pull them through the drain plug holes and drain the oil into a bucket.

bigpapasean
09-21-2004, 04:53 PM
A good old shop vac works great. Just pull the pan plug and let the vac do all the work. No mess and it sucks the oil out faster than any thing else.

Bre
09-22-2004, 12:10 PM
I think FastTimmy uses the garbage bag method... we just get our oil out through the dipstick... hook it up to a cordless drill and it sucks it all out. Each way is easy enough for any woman or man to do.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
09-22-2004, 08:52 PM
How do you dispose of the OIL/SawDust mix.....
I don't think that AutoZone will take that soup.....
It dosen't really take that long to pump out 15 quarts into a 5 gallon bucket..
Then AutoZone will take it.....
GreenParty friendly......Not bad for a OC Republican!!!!!
CJG

Some Kind Of Monster
09-23-2004, 08:58 AM
The hoses make it easy. Just pull them through the drain plug holes and drain the oil into a bucket.
I have employed this method on both my boat and a friends boat and let me tell you it takes FOR EVER to drain the oil this way. I can't believe that this is an isolated situation because both of our boats do the same thing! I even pulled the motor and blew the hose out with a compressor. It was free and clear. My next idea is to open the drain hose and make a fitting to connect the compressor (throttled down of course) to the dipstick opening. Then again maybe I should just buy larger ID plumbing.. On the other - other hand, maybe I should just use a garbage bag with saw dust.

superdave013
09-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Put a -12 or 16 bulkhead through the back of the boat by the drain plug. Cap the outside and run the hose to the pan. My flat had the -16 set up and 14qts took no time at all to get out.
I used to use the bag method. I used tall kitchen bags, two at a time and didn't put much in then due to the snag factor. Got pretty good at it but it took awhile. Shop vac worked good to but it trashed the vac.
I'm with C.B. about the saw dust. Sounds like a big mess that's hard to get rid of.

Brian Ray
09-23-2004, 12:32 PM
I used the bag method and it worked fine....minus the sawdust of course. AutoZone wouldn't like that....;)

Havasu Cig
09-23-2004, 12:40 PM
I have employed this method on both my boat and a friends boat and let me tell you it takes FOR EVER to drain the oil this way. I can't believe that this is an isolated situation because both of our boats do the same thing! I even pulled the motor and blew the hose out with a compressor. It was free and clear. My next idea is to open the drain hose and make a fitting to connect the compressor (throttled down of course) to the dipstick opening. Then again maybe I should just buy larger ID plumbing.. On the other - other hand, maybe I should just use a garbage bag with saw dust.
Were the engines warm before you drained the oil? It is not as fast as using a pump through the dipstick, but I have not had the problems you have had. I usually let my drives drain overnight though so maybe i am just patient.:)

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
09-23-2004, 05:35 PM
boy I have to change my oil

Mighty Thor
09-23-2004, 09:37 PM
I do usually warm the oil before I drain it. As for the disposal, In my case we have an oil burning shop heater so we just pour the slop into the strainer and let the oil drain into the tank. The sawdust goes into the barrel stove to heat the other building. I got this idea from a deal I used to get in oregon when I lived there. The auto parts store sold a disposable oil drain kit that consisted of a cardboard box with the bag and sawdust already in it. You opened the box, opened the bag, drained the oil and then took the whole thing back to the store. I guess I don't know whether there are similar deals elsewhere.

Some Kind Of Monster
09-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Were the engines warm before you drained the oil? It is not as fast as using a pump through the dipstick, but I have not had the problems you have had. I usually let my drives drain overnight though so maybe i am just patient.:)
I have had to change my oil at the lake a couple times (water in the oil) and it took hours (maybe 3 hours) to drain my pan. It was warm (just pulled the boat from the water). I have my pan off my motor right now so I am going to see what the deal is. I don't know whay two motors are doing the same thing though??? Probably just a small ID hose needs to get bigger.

Ultra Compulsive
10-01-2004, 09:51 AM
I put a fitting in the drain hole...w/hose....doesn't take forever, but it is slow. I just bought an oil evacuator at a local store for 179.00. It works with compressed air, and sucks oil out of anything, even the dipstick.

NashvilleBound
10-01-2004, 03:01 PM
How about the oil filter setup from Billet Marine? I unscrew the 4 hex bolts and walla, filter element slips out...replace with new. ZERO drips.

moneysucker
10-01-2004, 03:03 PM
I don't want to give up all my secrets but the hose from the oil plug hole is the way to go. I have also noticed that it drains way too slow. I use a cheap universal fuel pump and hook it to the drain hose and leads to the battery. My choice of pumps wasn't the best with 1/4 inlet and outlet it does ok but doesn't like pumping cold 50wt. They work very fast for normal oil.

DrewDown
10-04-2004, 03:07 PM
This is what i use, When the oil is warm it sucks it out before you can swap out the filter. Works awsome.
http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?prod_id=40344&current_category=oil&current_category=oil&cart_id=980142480

CARRERA
10-10-2004, 03:21 PM
A good old shop vac works great. Just pull the pan plug and let the vac do all the work. No mess and it sucks the oil out faster than any thing else.
What's the rush? Why not just let it drain and not make a mess of the shop vac.?

CrazyHippy
10-10-2004, 04:26 PM
I change mine w/ every tank of gas... Not sure what you guys are having problems with???
BJH

moneysucker
10-11-2004, 07:48 AM
For filter change, I use a quart size zip lock bag and place it around the filter and un screw it let the filter fall into the bag, Zip it and pull it out from under the motor. No mess

Goldy
10-11-2004, 11:32 AM
Hola Amigos. Anyone out there know what kind of set up I would need in order to drain the oil thru a oil drain hose that has a "ball-bearing" check valve on the end? I have an 87' Bahner w/ a 454, jet drive. It came with the oil drain tube already installed. The hose has a brass end cap and when removed there is a ball-bearing check valve. I'm sure there is a small connector I need to allow the oil to flow. Anyone seen this set up before? Thanks. Goldy Out.

LHC30Victory
10-11-2004, 02:13 PM
boy I have to change my oil
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/509/1284ATTDR-10-04_063.jpg
AND WASH UP AFTERWARD

moneysucker
10-11-2004, 07:17 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/509/1284ATTDR-10-04_063.jpg
AND WASH UP AFTERWARD
You are running fat. Check your plugs. I bet they are black not the cinamin color that they are supposed to be. May need to re jet. Soot is safe though. No worry of running too lean

Goldy
10-13-2004, 03:58 PM
Test
Hola Amigos. Anyone out there know what kind of set up I would need in order to drain the oil thru a oil drain hose that has a "ball-bearing" check valve on the end? I have an 87' Bahner w/ a 454, jet drive. It came with the oil drain tube already installed. The hose has a brass end cap and when removed there is a ball-bearing check valve. I'm sure there is a small connector I need to allow the oil to flow. Anyone seen this set up before? Thanks. Goldy Out.

Mighty Thor
10-20-2004, 05:12 PM
I thought I saw a kit like this I think it was a Fram.

hack job
10-22-2004, 07:52 AM
This is what i use, When the oil is warm it sucks it out before you can swap out the filter. Works awsome.
http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?prod_id=40344&current_category=oil&current_category=oil&cart_id=980142480
i use this as well . we also bought one of those electric ones they arent very good they are loud and slow . the oil boy is like 7 pumps and it fills up in like two or three mins, then you dump and go again( it only holds like 5 qts)

old rigger
10-23-2004, 08:59 AM
My old boss at Advantage had changing oil down to a science at the races where he ran his K boat and in earlier days, his circle jets. If he had to change oil in-between heats, he'd just back out the little plug in the block by the oil pressure gauge line. Attach a little custom line he had made, light the engine off and at an idle and that blown BBC would dump all the oil in a bucket in about 30 seconds. When the oil would start to sputter cooing out of the tube, he'd shut the engine down, button everything up and go back racin'. Never hurt the engine. Not that I'd do this, but that was his way of doing it.
For the trip home it was a different story, with the boat hooked up and ready to hit the road, he'd pull the drain plug out of the pan and go. By the time he got home the oil had drainded out of the pan, through the drain plug hole in the transom and onto Hwy 10. Wipe the bildge and rear crossmember of the trailer with a little simple green back at the shop, and he was done. How'd ya like to follow that rig home from the river?

bilgewiper
10-24-2004, 08:14 PM
Thats how I used to do it too. Back in the day with my old jet boats. I had a tee coming off the base of the oil pressure sender with a valve on it that I slipped a hose on and Old Rigger is right on when he says the oil is all out in 30 seconds! At idle with valve open and oil shootin out the oil PSI still didn't drop below 5 PSI. I did it for many years on differnt boats/engines and never had any issues with it.

beyondhelpin
10-30-2004, 03:16 PM
I use the same thing you do. I have tried the electric pump. Sucked! I have tried the drill method. Sucked! I have used the drain hose. It works ok but if you are impatient like me it is excruciating to wait like that. The extractor works great. Just give it a few pumps and it just keeps drawing the oil out. By far the easiest, cleanest, least time consuming method I have ever used.
http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/vendor/16/big/40344_0.jpg

19cobaltcd
11-19-2004, 08:30 AM
I put one of those fram sure drain thingys on my pan. Bought a longer hose at Home Depot. Ran the hose out of the boat drain into a pan. Worked like a charm, not a drop in the bilge. (My bilge is not real easy to reach all over). Worked for me.

voodoomedman
11-19-2004, 11:19 PM
My way is pretty easy. I took it to Absolute Speed and Marine in Havazoo. Oil change, trailer serviced, drive oil changed, alignment checked...The hardest part was giving up a few hundred bucks.

Squirtcha?
11-23-2004, 07:40 AM
I have a the drain hose kit and just pooch it out through the bilge plug hole. Then use my handy dandy spare Holley fuel/oil pump. Got the pump for free and the 5/8" heater hoses slip right over the drain hose.
http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/data/500/19oil_drain_kit.jpg

DrewDown
11-24-2004, 06:08 PM
For the trip home it was a different story, with the boat hooked up and ready to hit the road, he'd pull the drain plug out of the pan and go. By the time he got home the oil had drainded out of the pan, through the drain plug hole in the transom and onto Hwy 10. Wipe the bildge and rear crossmember of the trailer with a little simple green back at the shop, and he was done. How'd ya like to follow that rig home from the river?
Sounds messy in the bildge and inconsiderate to others.

Jeanyus
11-30-2004, 05:41 PM
I have read several posts and articles about how to change the oil on your boat and there are suggestions ranging from pumping out through the dipstick to installing fancy drain plugs and associated plumbing. There are also those who just drain into the bilge and then clean up the mess.
Here is a simple no mess solution that should work for most boats:
1. Get a couple of heavy duty garbage bags and put one inside the other. 30 gallon seems to work the best for me.
2. Buy or borrow sawdust. my neighbor is a cabinet maker so I just raid his garbage can. You can get it at pet stores, home improvement, farm and ranch, lots of places.
3. Tuck the garbage sacks under the engine so that the oil can drain into the opened bags. Pour the sawdust into the bags, the more the better but keep in mind that you will need to remove the whole package later.
4. Open the drain and let the oil drain into the bag with the sawdust, you should be able to pull the oil filter and let it drain too.
5. The sawdust should soak up the oil and make it less likely to slosh around. Replace the drain plug and the filter and then carefully pull the garbage sack out from under the engine being carefull not to catch the plastic and tear it. dispose of the bag and oil in an appropriate manner.
6. I have done this several times on three different boats and never spilled a drop.
Well I made it to step 3, now where do I put the garbage bags?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859drain_plug.jpg

Mighty Thor
12-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Well I made it to step 3, now where do I put the garbage bags?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859drain_plug.jpg
Probably best to put it over your head cause it don't look like it will fit under that oilpan.

Jeanyus
12-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Should I take the sawdust out before I put the bag over my head?

moneysucker
12-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Should I take the sawdust out before I put the bag over my head?
Naw, you're good. As for dumping the oil on the road... What do you think Cal Trans does to the asphalt to keep it nice? They oil it. I would say he is saving the state and the tax payers money. I have not dumped strait oil on the road but when my flywheel cut my drain hose, I did fill the bilge with water at each gas station air water machine with some soap and drained it in between to re fill at the next one.

Tresguey
01-07-2005, 06:10 AM
i have a hose coming from my pan which is a 16 quart pan and a dual remote filter from perma-cool. which i would guess at 18 quarts. i have been haveing a water in the oil prob. and when i tried to drain the oil it was a very slow process. so what i did was rig a old electric gas pump to the drain hose and it only took 20 minutes compared to the 4 hours with gravity. has anyone ever try that?

GunninGopher
03-07-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't want to give up all my secrets but the hose from the oil plug hole is the way to go. I have also noticed that it drains way too slow. I use a cheap universal fuel pump and hook it to the drain hose and leads to the battery. My choice of pumps wasn't the best with 1/4 inlet and outlet it does ok but doesn't like pumping cold 50wt. They work very fast for normal oil.
This must be an east county thing.
I've done this to 2 jet boats now I it works great. I mount the fuel pump to the stringer. One the first one I had a valve in line. I'd always forget to shut it off after an oil change, but it never leaked out. I didn't even bother with a valve on the one I just put on my latest jet. It doesn't take long to drain at all when it is warm, but takes about 3x longer when cold. I'll bet I can have my oil drained before any other tube pump system out there.
It only costs about $40 to make. and everything is there ready to go. When I sold my last jet, the guy that bought it said it was a strong selling point. I did change the oil a lot because it was so easy. I used to do the trash bag method, but I always made a mess. I had to do it this last time before installing the hose and pump. By the time I finally could get the plug out, I goofed up the bag and had to just vacuum it out.

Mighty Thor
05-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Moved this up cause someone asked in the Jet forum.

BADTOON
05-12-2006, 05:13 AM
I pulled my existing drain hose to the front of the engine, adapted a AN fitting to it then set up a 3/8 hose with one end an AN fitting connect the two togeather hook the hose to my vacuum pump a couple of pumps and done

slingingsmoke
05-13-2006, 02:29 PM
I have employed this method on both my boat and a friends boat and let me tell you it takes FOR EVER to drain the oil this way. I can't believe that this is an isolated situation because both of our boats do the same thing! .
more time for BEER!