PDA

View Full Version : Got turned away from LHC Marina yesterday

burtandnancy
09-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Yes, the nazi at the gate said nothing longer than 32 feet was allowed!! When did this start? Did we LOOK noisy? There was no question at Windsor.

markc
09-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Burt, is it your same boat from Mead?

Tom Brown
09-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Did you try cursing at them?

SoCalOffshore
09-21-2004, 01:33 PM
All of the summer they have limited to 32 feet. I am not sure why. Originally they said water level, but obviously that is not the case.

Mandelon
09-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Hey comparing those guys to Nazis is an insult to Nazis....... :rolleyes:

Essex502
09-21-2004, 02:29 PM
BurtandNancy...if you would...send a description of what happened to LakeRacer. We are gathering the evidence of the LHC Marina's violation of their concessionaire contract. Also, check the Havasu Noise threads that are pinned for more information. Please consider writing to the Arizona State Land Department with your experience.

Tom Brown
09-21-2004, 02:43 PM
I'm no attorney but what's wrong with limiting boat length? It may not be nice for the guys with big boats but it seems legit to me. Regardless of the reason, if they have a clear policy on boat length then it seems legit.
Turning someone away because of a crazy gel scheme or wild looking boat is a whole different issue.

Havasu Hangin'
09-21-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm no attorney but what's wrong with limiting boat length? It may not be nice for the guys with big boats but it seems legit to me. Regardless of the reason, if they have a clear policy on boat length then it seems legit.
Turning someone away because of a crazy gel scheme or wild looking boat is a whole different issue.
I think that the issue is that if the boat is legal on the lake, then they are discriminating.
There is no boat size limit on the lake, and the marina's lease does not allow it to arbitrarily limit what boats can be on the lake.

jackpunx
09-21-2004, 03:42 PM
I wonder if any of the boats in slips are larger then 32 .. that would be a nice picture

Dr. Eagle
09-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Hey comparing those guys to Nazis is an insult to Nazis....... :rolleyes:
NO LAUNCH FOR YOU......
32 FEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BoatPI
09-21-2004, 04:10 PM
I think the issue here is public access to the lake and that they are given this lease to provide this access at a cost to the public. I imagine they could limit issues that involve public safety, but at 32' that seems to miss the mark by about 10 or more feet. When they have allowed boats to sling into the water, now NO access over 32'. The beat goes on.
But this is a serious nissue for public access. It is NOT about someone's ego, pocket to buy a larger boat, it is about public access for everyone. That is why many have written letter to AZ land dept. Assuming some of the noise posts are accurate, the marina cannot in my opinion restrict access based on some civillains noise meter or ear. That may violate their terms of agreement with the state. One could ask, are blue colored boats prohibited on Sunday's from launching, and red boats on Tuesday?
In CA most all beach ares MUST have signed public access, even in areas that would normaly obstruct the publics right to the ocean for a significant distance. As I recall the Malibu area delt with this in past years and were required to mark trails.

burtandnancy
09-21-2004, 10:14 PM
markc, no for this event we took the twin Vipered Hallett from the factory.

bordsmnj
09-21-2004, 10:28 PM
i thought we were all boycotting that place. those guys are fags!

C-2
09-21-2004, 10:34 PM
If the state gets involved and takes action against the marina - they have a lot to lose. Even as its stands now, when the lease comes up for renewal, they're gonna see all the negative input about the operation of the marina - and maybe they won't award another lease to the current owners of the marina.
City, state and county agencies are strange - they're always up to something. Sometimes an issue like this could be a catalyst for an agency to explore other possibilities for use, or even to break a lease. You just never know what their little evil minds are up to.
Meaning, good for us, bad for the marina. Nobody wants state officials suddenly up their *ss. :hammerhea :hammerhea

220EagleXp
09-22-2004, 06:58 AM
Sombody need to get these people on video for evidence to build a better case against them.. The camera doesn't lie. :cool:

superdave013
09-22-2004, 07:01 AM
Now I could almost see them having a size limit. I mean come on, how big are those truck / trailer combos? Do they have enough parking for them and everyone else? Seems they would take up the space of 3 normal sized boats.

Gerard
09-22-2004, 07:25 AM
Dave, there's plenty of room for bigger vehicles to park. Just because someone has a big boat/trailer, they should be able to enjoy the lake also.

Gerard
09-22-2004, 07:26 AM
Dave, there's plenty of room for bigger vehicles to park. If someone has a big boat/trailer, they should be able to enjoy the lake also.

superdave013
09-22-2004, 07:29 AM
Dave, there's plenty of room for bigger vehicles to park. Just because someone has a big boat/trailer, they should be able to enjoy the lake also.
point taken, I really don't know what they have there as far as parking I never go there.
I understand that the lake is for everyone and agree with that 100%.

Essex502
09-22-2004, 07:31 AM
Our major complaint against the Marina is the inconsistent nature of its rules establishment...rules keep changing or they are inconsistent with the concessionaire contract they must abide by with the State of Arizona. For those of you who haven't read the thread on the Noise problems with the Marina, please do so...there is a lot of good information about what the Marina is doing and how it violates the contract. Remember...the Marina is a privately owned and operated business on land leased from the state and they must abide by the contract with the state. Today they are NOT. Please write a letter to the State as shown below:
State Land Department - Arizona
Public Records, Operations Div.
1616 W. Adams
Phoenix, AZ 85007
In the letter describe your negaative experience with the Marina. This only takes a little bit of your time and effort and $0.37 postage.

Havasu Hangin'
09-22-2004, 07:32 AM
Now I could almost see them having a size limit. I mean come on, how big are those truck / trailer combos? Do they have enough parking for them and everyone else? Seems they would take up the space of 3 normal sized boats.
Dave...you need to get off the bike and out more.
They have more parking than anywhere else. They built a HUGE dirt lot just for the big weekends (it has to be a couple acres).
In fact, they are the only launch ramp that can accomodate my trailer at the ramp. Everywhere else, I can't make the turns without taking up someone else's lanes.
Let me know if you ever wanna come out an experience "the adventure" that is launching the HH Tugboat...

superdave013
09-22-2004, 07:39 AM
lol, I'd love to help launch the s.s. HH boat. I've never ridden in anything like it before and would jump at the chance.
As far as me getting out, well I do but as you know myself and most of my friends have smaller boats. I just don't go to Havasu due to that. But I'd show up to spend the day on a big rig if I get the chance. Well, that's if I could afford my share of the gas. What's it cost in fuel for a day on your boat?

Essex502
09-22-2004, 07:40 AM
Dave...you need to get off the bike and out more.
They have more parking than anywhere else. They built a HUGE dirt lot just for the big weekends (it has to be a couple acres).
In fact, they are the only launch ramp that can accomodate my trailer at the ramp. Everywhere else, I can't make the turns without taking up someone else's lanes.
Let me know if you ever wanna come out an experience "the adventure" that is launching the HH Tugboat...
HH...if you haven't written a letter to the state it would be very helpful if you would. Your stated reasons for wanting to use the Marina and the possibility of you not coming to Arizona for recreation if you couldn't would be an excellent point to make.
Thanks.

Havasu Hangin'
09-22-2004, 07:58 AM
I've never ridden in anything like it before and would jump at the chance....Well, that's if I could afford my share of the gas. What's it cost in fuel for a day on your boat?
You don't want to know what the gas bill is...but we'll have to plan a day- it'll be fun. My boat is slow and boring compared to most...but it's nice not to really worry about the chop.
HH...if you haven't written a letter to the state it would be very helpful if you would. Your stated reasons for wanting to use the Marina and the possibility of you not coming to Arizona for recreation if you couldn't would be an excellent point to make.
Thanks.
Actually, I was planning to write one this weekend- it's one of the few things that I am fairly good at.
I'll keep you posted.

76BARRON
09-22-2004, 08:17 AM
Just take the big boat's down to the parker strip! No size limitations there!
Heard of 40 footer(s) there!

dirty old man
09-22-2004, 08:20 AM
I saw the Hot Boat Manufacturers Poker Run on Monday, some really neat boats heading down to the springs. Can't understand why the big launch problem on week-days, theres unlimited parking even for the stretched pu's and the Peterbuilts, and no crowds in the lanes at any marina. Lots of cats out there, but who dreams up the colors and graphics nowdays? I hope the customer pays up front, I wouldn't park some of them in a ghetto.