PDA

View Full Version : Need opinons please

jdogginla
09-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Am I better off purchasing a boat right now ( in the next month or so) or am I better off waiting til Feb/March and going to the boat show and trying to negotiate a better deal.
A) I know it's the end of the season and boat sales drop off
B) As a consumer, if I'm ready to buy......do I have better negotiating power at the boat show, where I can easily walk away and go to another builder 300 ft away?
Thanks for your opinons

Sleek-Jet
09-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Opinions, you came to the right place.
I would say you're in a better position to bargain at this point in the year. People wanting to sell their boats are looking at storage, insurance, ect... for the next couple of months and would rather in be someone else's problem.

core attitude
09-21-2004, 01:44 PM
You might want to check around with some of the builders you are interested in. I know that some like to keep their guys busy during the slower months and will "deal" a little to do so if it looks like they might be slower the usual.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
09-21-2004, 01:46 PM
wait until a cold rainy day then go to boat builder

Roxysnow
09-21-2004, 01:47 PM
We were looking at new boats last year and the following year they went up in price 8k forthe identical boat w/ 1 or 2 different features. I have the price sheets to prove it. Alot of builders want to sell these boats before season is over too. If you wait til March, thats price selling season.

DryHeatOnly
09-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Do your dealing BEFORE the LA boat show which is in late Jan/early Feb.

Powerquestboy
09-21-2004, 01:54 PM
I Like to buy in november, December, January. I think a lot of people put their boats up for sale at the end of the season and start to sweat when nobody calls them for a couple months. As for a new boat I would think manufactures would deal a lot more when they are desperate for business and I have seen people get very good deals at the boat show. I think it just depends on what time of year the boat show is. Anytime before their busy season starts I think is good for bargaining.

vodkarocks
09-21-2004, 02:02 PM
I ordered my boat right around this time last year and paid about $7500 less than people that waited

redneckgirl
09-21-2004, 02:06 PM
October-December :D
RNG

dicudmore
09-21-2004, 02:11 PM
just buy the damn thing already, they are only going up in price :cry:

jdogginla
09-21-2004, 02:18 PM
just buy the damn thing already, they are only going up in price :cry:
LOL...........I wish I could make up my fricken mind. And now, Ultra has entered the equation. LOL

dicudmore
09-21-2004, 02:21 PM
its definitely a tough decision, I feel your pain.
Lot of beans to part with, and who to give them to :idea:

CEO
09-21-2004, 03:33 PM
BUY MINE~
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1264Joe_and_Wilma-med.jpg

DryHeatOnly
09-21-2004, 03:34 PM
LOL...........I wish I could make up my fricken mind. And now, Ultra has entered the equation. LOL
Refresh my memory...what size, style & price range are you looking in?

jdogginla
09-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Refresh my memory...what size, style & price range are you looking in?
I've got it narrowed down to 3 boats. All them have their +'s and -'s. But I'm down to the 30'Shadow Kachina, 25/29 Shockwave and possibly the Ultra 27'Shadow.
I'm leaning a lil more to the Kachina only due to the Bang for the Buck factor.

cc322
09-21-2004, 04:43 PM
I would start looking now, If you decide on something soon you will miss the 2 to 3% price increase that most builders pass on to you because Mercury raises there engine and drive packages every year

voodoomedman
09-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Seriously Check out the 27 Shadow. It is a wicked boat. And Ultra is quality with awesome customer service. Call John in San Diego or John in Corona and tell them you are on the ***boat boards. John West is always on here saying that he gives good deals to Board members.

Mandelon
09-21-2004, 08:28 PM
October, November and December, best months to buy a boat or a house. Once the boat shows start the builders get busy again.

DryHeatOnly
09-21-2004, 09:02 PM
I've got it narrowed down to 3 boats. All them have their +'s and -'s. But I'm down to the 30'Shadow Kachina, 25/29 Shockwave and possibly the Ultra 27'Shadow.
I'm leaning a lil more to the Kachina only due to the Bang for the Buck factor.
If you haven't done it already, I'll bet a test ride in all 3 with similar power and in similar conditions will help you make that final decision... :cool:

Daytona100
09-21-2004, 10:39 PM
Buy an ELIMINATOR great boat awesome resale. :cool:

bordsmnj
09-21-2004, 10:53 PM
buy thanksgiving it's prime buyin'time if your buyin' new. not so long of a wait for a custom that time of year. you wanna be in the mold before the boat show hits. what about a Howard?

CA Stu
09-21-2004, 11:27 PM
I may be going against the grain here, but if you're willing to wait, wait until after the first of the year.
My reasoning is that after the election, if the Feds raises the interest rate again and the housing market has a "correction" (We all know this will happen soon enough), there is going to be a S-load of low hour boats for sale CHEAP.
My personal belief is that a lot of folks have bought boats with the (smoke and mirrors) equity in their homes, and once that evaporates (within a year from today) and thier APR mortgages payment goes through the roof (on a house that they owe $150K more than it is worth), there will be a fire sale on lightly used boats within 6 months.
Thanks
CA Stu
PS remember, free advice is worth what you paid for it :D :D :jawdrop:

Kwicherbichen
09-22-2004, 12:54 AM
I think it's widely accepted that the off season provides better bargains for savy shoppers in both new and used markets. I get the feeling you are looking to buy new and I would suggest taking a look at the used market as well. This year alone I saw at least 4 Shadow Cats that were bought new and on the market in less than a year. Shopping for a boat, for some, is like going grocery shopping when you're hungry.....We over buy only to discover later it cost too much or we bought more than we needed. I've seen it hundreds of times.
Just my .02 but look at the used market and let someone else pay the depreciation. Good luck with your choice :wink: