PDA

View Full Version : How do i do this?

dave186
09-21-2004, 04:54 PM
ok, so ive been sanding my boat down getting it ready to hopefully prime the top this weekend. now, i need to get to the sides, basically get it off the trailer, what and how do i do this? i was thinking of using the cherry picker to lift the back end up, but then i dont know about the front.

Squirtin Thunder
09-21-2004, 05:15 PM
I have done that three times. I is easier to do if you have a strap in the rear hanging from re-enforced rafters for the rear and a engine hoist for the front. But first you must remove the trailer, so use the engine hoist in the rear and a floor jack on the front section by section. Use heavey strap like 2" - 2 1/2" safer that way lots of towels or carpet too.
Have fun
Jim

BrendellaJet
09-21-2004, 05:23 PM
You can use a strap, but it will just end up in your way. Here is what I did:
Took two concrete blocks with the 4x4 straps cast into them(used for patio covers etc...Home depot has them) Then took two 12 foot pices of 2x6 and bolted them in(had to double up on the 2x6 for the first few inches so they would fit in the 4x4 Straps and not wobble too much when the boat gets placed on them. Placed a bolt through the staps and 2x6, and positioned the blocks towards the front of my garage, the other ends of the 2x6 were placed on the ground, and I used a pice of 4x6 to tied the 2x6s together at the opposite end. Effectively I created a set of bunks for the boat to sit on.
Me and a friend pushed the boat right off the trailer and onto the new bunks. Worked perfect. Ill see if I can dig up a pic.
You could also use some old tires , but the makeshift bunks made it real simple to put the hull back on the trailer.

badrat
09-21-2004, 06:07 PM
I think there was a earlier thread about doing this, I just finished re doing my boat, and I made a A frame hoist out of 4x4 steel tubing with runners on the bottom for 4 swivel casters, and a chain hoist on the top cross member, then made a H shaped steel piece that would bolt to the stringers, , Then backed the trailer and boat under the hoist , found center and hooked it up and picked it off the trailer, left the boat hanging in the air and did all the work underneith and then painted it , buffed it out and set it back down and went to the lake, it cost about 200.$ but has come in very handy for replacing the motor in another boat, Wanna borrow it?? :wink: :wink:
Bill

sanger rat
09-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Thats slick Bill. Got any more pics. How you you find the balancing point of the boat?

dave186
09-21-2004, 06:18 PM
well i got creative. i used a big strap and my engine hoist to pick up the back then set it down on a 4x4 placed across some big jackstands. then i stacked some wood blocks under the sides to keep it from rocking. now i went to the front with my hoist and used the strap again, picked it up untill it would clear the trailer and pulled it out the side. then set the front down on a few saw horses. its not the sturdiest thing, but its the perfect height and i dont need to get inside of the boat or anything so im not to concerned. ive got some steel saw horses at work, so i may bring them to support the back if i need to get inside for anything.
im painting it this weekend, so i better get busy!

BrendellaJet
09-21-2004, 06:25 PM
That sounds like a lot of work! But thats AWESOME! Hard to beat if you can borrow that!
But if you are still thinking about that set back, you might as well look it over for hook and get those strakes extended too, maybe play with the pump entry too.(Southwind right?)
Ive flipped my boat upside down 2 times, if you are gonna be working on the bottom of the boat, suspending it right side up aint gonna work.
Realistically though, if you are happy with 85 mph(or less), bottom work likely wont be needed as long as its been on a nice trailer all its life. Talk to Squircha? about his boat. Southwind copy and hes bangin on the door to 90 and I dont think hes touched the bottom(but has setback).

badrat
09-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Thats slick Bill. Got any more pics. How you you find the balancing point of the boat?
I picked up one end of the boat while it was still on the trailer and slid a 2x4 under it about where I thought center might be, and set it back down on the board, and moved it untill it was balanced, then eyeballed where the center point was and then placed the H shaped fixture on the stringers and bolted it down,, I did miss the center a little too much forward but put some barbell weights in the back ot balance it, I have used this A frame for a lot of things, I origionally made it to lift car bodys on and off their frames , lots better than depending on a lot of people to help, and it breaks down into 3 pieces for storage,

slotracer
09-21-2004, 07:16 PM
how heavy is the a-frame?
pat(slotracer) :D

Mighty Thor
09-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Lant night I had to get the Hondo hull off the truck frame it was sitting on, long story, involves a dead guy and a missing title, anyhow, four ten foot 4x4 s on end and four 2X4s and two 2X6 s and voila one drive through boat hoist. I used two come alongs and two tow straps to lift the hull off the truck. Then set the whole thing down and put the castors under the 4X4s so I could roll the thing around. I like the hoist in the pictures too. A pair of those and some easy way to roll the boat over and a guy could start his own buisness. Hmmm.

wideopen545
09-21-2004, 08:08 PM
we used a cheery picker on the front and two floor jacks and two 4x4s on the rear

badrat
09-21-2004, 11:30 PM
how heavy is the a-frame?
pat(slotracer) :D
when assembled it probably weighs 150 lbs. but it breaks down into 3 pieces for easy storage, we rolled the whole thing around with the boat hanging, width can be adjusted by just using a longer top bar, I have one 8' and one 10 ' Bill