PDA

View Full Version : **Quad Question** Not boat related...

79 HUSTLER
09-21-2004, 05:48 PM
If you had the choice between a 05 Banshee and a 05 YFZ450 and these were your only choice, which one would you purchase and why.. I need something for this year as a motor for the rail will not be done in time so I would like to get something in the meantime.. Any opinions would be great and I thank anyone for their input..
Also my local dealer has a YFZ450T and I have not seen another with the T on it, What does the T stand for on this model
Thanks again, KELLY

BLOWN HOWARD
09-21-2004, 05:50 PM
I would go for the yfz450 i like the powerband better than the banshee's, The cost is quite a bit dif too. I have several buddys with both bikes and both are great, you will have better re sale with the 450

EmpirE231
09-21-2004, 05:54 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about the new 450's, and I would assume they're a good all around bike. I never riddin one but when I sat on one I didn't really like the way it feels...it seems like you're on top of the bike, rather than being in theat comfortable middle (get what I'm saying?). we have a banshee, and love it. love the sound, the speed, the ride. if you go w/ the banshee, you'll need to get some pipes for it becuase they make a night and day difference. for duning they are set up pretty good...but wider arms and an extended swigarm are always nice. one thing for sure....top end, you'll never catch a banshee w/ the yzf

79 HUSTLER
09-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the input, and still up in the air as which one to get...
top end, you'll never catch a banshee w/ the yzf
This is what I hear all the time, but what if you had a both bikes set up with identical mods (pipes, headworks etc etc) how with the two compare against each other..
Thanks KELLY

bordsmnj
09-21-2004, 06:30 PM
in stock form the 450 will beat banshee(stock Vs. stock). i got the 450 'cuase i didn't wanna deal with a two stroke. if you ain't gonna ride it anywhere but the dunes and your gonna put money into it a banshee's probably the one to get but if your gonna ride it anywhere else definantly get a 450. most that have tried my bike step off and say"i can't believe that's not a two stroke". with a 450 plan on a re-jet,pipe and intake mod for full affect. i'd re jet either way. let me see if i can find the link to the 450 vs. banshee vs, raptor, dune test in one of the atv mags.

cave
09-21-2004, 06:35 PM
I ride a Banshee. Toomies with a cool head. This is the stock one. I love it. Great all around quad. I road the 450 and after lowering the shock it was nice. The 450 has awesome shocks. Good responce for a thumper too. It aint no Banshee. If this is just a back up for your rail go for what is least expensive. No premix for the 450. cheaper to modify the Banshee. There are alot of aftermarket parts for the Banshee. The 450 is still kinda new. Either way get a pipe for one or the other. It really makes a difference. You'll hate yourself if you dont.
If you go duning around what is left of Glamis and need to go to the store figure a way to lock the seat release. B*st*rds will swoop your seat while your shopping.
Oh dont let the sales guy snow ya. If he tells you that you'll smoke a Banshee on the top end. I love it when one lines up to my stock one with a big grin. They dont line back up for another after that. Good quad. Not a Banshee. with a good rider the 4fity has potential.
Good luck.
http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/violent/sterb003.gif Seat stealers

79 HUSTLER
09-21-2004, 06:37 PM
in stock form the 450 will beat banshee(stock Vs. stock). i got the 450 'cuase i didn't wanna deal with a two stroke. if you ain't gonna ride it anywhere but the dunes and your gonna put money into it a banshee's probably the one to get but if your gonna ride it anywhere else definantly get a 450. most that have tried my bike step off and say"i can't believe that's not a two stroke". with a 450 plan on a re-jet,pipe and intake mod for full affect. i'd re jet either way. let me see if i can find the link to the 450 vs. banshee vs, raptor, dune test in one of the atv mags.
That is great info and is just the type of stuff I need to hear. I say that I will mostly visit the dunes but am sure that since I am so close to many deserts that I will do that as well. Does a 450 come with a green sticker or does it matter on DMV??? Thanks for the info, it helps very much..

Magic34
09-21-2004, 06:38 PM
450 all the way. I wish it was just a little bigger. I went with the Predator 500 and I am doing mods to it as we speak. I may still end up with a 450 for the dunes.

79 HUSTLER
09-21-2004, 06:41 PM
I ride a Banshee. Toomies with a cool head. This is the stock one. I love it. Great all around quad. I road the 450 and after lowering the shock it was nice. The 450 has awesome shocks. Good responce for a thumper too. It aint no Banshee. If this is just a back up for your rail go for what is least expensive. No premix for the 450. cheaper to modify the Banshee. There are alot of aftermarket parts for the Banshee. The 450 is still kinda new. Either way get a pipe for one or the other. It really makes a difference. You'll hate yourself if you dont.
If you go duning around what is left of Glamis and need to go to the store figure a way to lock the seat release. B*st*rds will swoop your seat while your shopping.
Oh dont let the sales guy snow ya. If he tells you that you'll smoke a Banshee on the top end. I love it when one lines up to my stock one with a big grin. They dont line back up for another after that. Good quad. Not a Banshee. with a good rider the 4fity has potential.
Good luck.
http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/violent/sterb003.gif Seat stealers
That is some BS about the seats, phuck that shit. How do you like the way your banshee rides on the trails, would you think about changing to a 450 if you just road the trails and top end was not the whole deal??
Thanks for the info, trying to get this figured out tonight. KELLY

79 HUSTLER
09-21-2004, 06:42 PM
450 all the way. I wish it was just a little bigger. I went with the Predator 500 and I am doing mods to it as we speak. I may still end up with a 450 for the dunes.
Thanks for the vote, maybe my I can teach my wife to ride decent and just get one of each :idea: :idea:

cave
09-21-2004, 06:50 PM
Best way to choose is to ride a friends. Remeber this deal about the mags. They are ridin by pro riders! You get a novice on one of these big hogs and they get hurt quick! I ride my Banshee in the desert every weekend in the fall and winter here in AZ and the bigger quads are great in the open stuff but when it gets tight your screwed. I liked the 450 but it's not a 2 stroke. responce is nice but its not a 2 stroke. It cost more to modify. Now please dont all you thumpers beat me now. I like the 450. Love the shocks!!! But I ride a semi stock Banshee that handles just as well. What ever you get, Adjust the rear shock for your wieght and you'll be happy!!! Both handle great in the desert or dunes. Get the Pipe for what ever you pick up!!!!! you wont regret it.

bordsmnj
09-21-2004, 06:51 PM
the 450 comes just barely in just barely legal for a green sticker. yamaha took a red sticker motor and de-tuned it for that reason. so stock they are way lean and flow is restricted. i rode my bike for a day and a half for break in then re-jetted, piped, and put on a k&n air intakekit threw away the lid. and wow.whole nother animal. on the street in front of my house if i stab it and hold it in third gear there's almost no way to keep the front end on the ground- 150 pounds sitting on the gas tank! also you can retard the exhaust cam one tooth and get more top end but you loose just a tad off the bottom,so i haven't bothered. the info is out there to redo the jetting and git it right on the first try. i did and had never worked on a quad before. ask trailer park cassanova for more details or if you want i can send all the info yuh need - if you get the 450.

bordsmnj
09-21-2004, 07:05 PM
may issue of 2004 dirtwheels mag. isn't accessable. but here's some other links full of info from real world riders- still gotta sort b.s. from fact though.
http://www.bluetraxx.com/phpBB/index.php?sid=b33c0e66c5d4284108bdaa5cfd42e786
http://yfzcentral.com/invision/
http://www.theatvcompound.com/forums/index.php

79 HUSTLER
09-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Best way to choose is to ride a friends. Remeber this deal about the mags. They are ridin by pro riders! You get a novice on one of these big hogs and they get hurt quick! I ride my Banshee in the desert every weekend in the fall and winter here in AZ and the bigger quads are great in the open stuff but when it gets tight your screwed. I liked the 450 but it's not a 2 stroke. responce is nice but its not a 2 stroke. It cost more to modify. Now please dont all you thumpers beat me now. I like the 450. Love the shocks!!! But I ride a semi stock Banshee that handles just as well. What ever you get, Adjust the rear shock for your wieght and you'll be happy!!! Both handle great in the desert or dunes. Get the Pipe for what ever you pick up!!!!! you wont regret it.
Great thanks for the info, I am sure I will order a pipe with the bike so that should be taken care of. I think I am looking more at the 450 just because the green sticker issue. If I was out of cali it might be more towards the banshee.. Thanks again for the info its really helping.. KELLY

MAINEVENT
09-21-2004, 07:17 PM
If you had the choice between a 05 Banshee and a 05 YFZ450 and these were your only choice, which one would you purchase and why.. I need something for this year as a motor for the rail will not be done in time so I would like to get something in the meantime.. Any opinions would be great and I thank anyone for their input..
Also my local dealer has a YFZ450T and I have not seen another with the T on it, What does the T stand for on this model
Thanks again, KELLY
I would go for the YFZ i had a banshee and it SUCKED for trail riding i had pipes clamp ons and rejetted cool head tons of extras on it and it was a great for the dunes and that was it make sure you carry extra plugs :boxingguy if you plan to crise around....I have now a YFZ and its a F'n Killer bike I dont have a pipe on it yet but i retarded the cam and rejetted and airbox mods and i will tie up or beat a piped banshee everyone can say what they want this bike is very fast and is possible in beating the banshee and it is also a great trail riding bike has a nice low nid and top end
MAINEVENT<----I WOULD PICK THE 450 :D
The T if i am not mistaken is just a different years model just like the banshee had ie: Banshee 350a-b-etc....

79 HUSTLER
09-21-2004, 07:18 PM
the 450 comes just barely in just barely legal for a green sticker. yamaha took a red sticker motor and de-tuned it for that reason. so stock they are way lean and flow is restricted. i rode my bike for a day and a half for break in then re-jetted, piped, and put on a k&n air intakekit threw away the lid. and wow.whole nother animal. on the street in front of my house if i stab it and hold it in third gear there's almost no way to keep the front end on the ground- 150 pounds sitting on the gas tank! also you can retard the exhaust cam one tooth and get more top end but you loose just a tad off the bottom,so i haven't bothered. the info is out there to redo the jetting and git it right on the first try. i did and had never worked on a quad before. ask trailer park cassanova for more details or if you want i can send all the info yuh need - if you get the 450.
Thanks for the help and the links, gonna go through those in detail in a few. I think I am leaning more towards the 450 due to the green sticker deal and since I am still stuck in cali I will wait on a banshee. Thanks for the info and helping out. KELLY

100mbs
09-21-2004, 07:28 PM
I would go with the 450. 4 Strokers are more reliable than a 2 Stroker (especially since it is a Honda). Has the Green sticker so you can ride anywhere. 4 Strokers are very fast now a days.
That's my .02.

79 HUSTLER
09-21-2004, 07:29 PM
I would go for the YFZ i had a banshee and it SUCKED for trail riding i had pipes clamp ons and rejetted cool head tons of extras on it and it was a great for the dunes and that was it make sure you carry extra plugs :boxingguy if you plan to crise around....I have now a YFZ and its a F'n Killer bike I dont have a pipe on it yet but i retarded the cam and rejetted and airbox mods and i will tie up or beat a piped banshee everyone can say what they want this bike is very fast and is possible in beating the banshee and it is also a great trail riding bike has a nice low nid and top end
MAINEVENT<----I WOULD PICK THE 450 :D
The T if i am not mistaken is just a different years model just like the banshee had ie: Banshee 350a-b-etc....
Thanks for the info, I am a little concerned what the T is for as I have not seen it on any other 450 and this one is about 500 cheaper than the other dealers. It does say titanium valves on the fender (maybe something to do with the T) but if I am not mistaken all 450 have titanium valves, correct???

bordsmnj
09-21-2004, 07:41 PM
i think the last letter might have to do with the color. i'll check.
nope. i was wrong . got nothin to do with the color. i don't know what it is.

BIGTYME
09-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Ridden both,( own a banshee ) Banshee Rides better in my opinion, It is faster, However the YFZ will jump better, and beat the banshee in everything except the dunes. A Banshee on trails is not a good idea, just not made for that.
I have experiences with both. I would 100% go with the YFZ due to a few simple reasons:
- NO MIXING GAS!!!!
- Other than dunes, all around better bike
- Less maintenance and only a little little bit behind a banshee
- Green Sticker
Weigh the pro's and con's and there should be no question in your mind that the yfz450 is a much much better all around bike.
Good Luck!

DryHeatOnly
09-21-2004, 07:59 PM
I've always been of the opinion that Banshee's are great drag/sand hill quads. The YFZ is an excellent dunin' quad...one that you can flick around pretty easily. I heard it does pretty good on the hills as well ;)
BTW...Aren't we supposed to be boycotting the Glamis store? :notam:

RiverRatMike
09-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Personally I'd go with the YFZ. The four-stokes out today have just as much power if more than a 2-stroke. I have a 04 Yamaha WR450F that is just has tons of power and won't quit. Plus a 4-stroke will out last a 2-stroke engine any day.
Thanks again, KELLY

RiverRatMike
09-21-2004, 08:02 PM
bring on the Banshee my WR450F would walk that thing!
I've heard nothing but good things about the new 450's, and I would assume they're a good all around bike. I never riddin one but when I sat on one I didn't really like the way it feels...it seems like you're on top of the bike, rather than being in theat comfortable middle (get what I'm saying?). we have a banshee, and love it. love the sound, the speed, the ride. if you go w/ the banshee, you'll need to get some pipes for it becuase they make a night and day difference. for duning they are set up pretty good...but wider arms and an extended swigarm are always nice. one thing for sure....top end, you'll never catch a banshee w/ the yzf

Flyinbowtie
09-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Our family has one of each. We only ride the dunes. I'm an old fart, and love the 97 Banshee, (the same ride as a 2005 Banshee) it is mildly hopped up.
The YFZ is unreal. It will, with my 125lb son on it, run right with a stock Banshee up the face of Sand Mountain, and will outhandle them as well. Banshee tech is mid eighties. The YFZ is pulling a ton of support fromt he aftermarket, and has a long way to go before it reaches its' potential.
While my heart says Banshee, my head says YFZ.
I am thinking of buying a couple of Banshees and stashing them. When Yamaha quits building them, they will double in value over 5 years. ;)

Jrocket
09-21-2004, 08:57 PM
bring on the Banshee my WR450F would walk that thing!
You sure are proud of that dam trail bike arent ya! Hows this,my crf 450 will walk you.

RiverRatMike
09-22-2004, 08:33 PM
bring it on
You sure are proud of that dam trail bike arent ya! Hows this,my crf 450 will walk you.

RiverRatMike
09-22-2004, 08:39 PM
had a crf450 I bought bran new last year. Peice of S***! After only 100 miles the valves burnt up. I sold the crf and went with the Yamaha WR which has more power than the crf 450 I had. 1000 hard riding desert miles on the WR and not one problem. :cool:

dave186
09-22-2004, 09:05 PM
i wont get into the yam vs. honda thing, its as bad as ford vs. chevy. but my bike will take either of your little 450s. :p

Dawn Patrol
09-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Go for the YFZ 450! They are very Nice!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5989YFZ_450-med.jpg

bordsmnj
09-22-2004, 09:52 PM
nice lookin' ride :D what graghics are those? just bought alba's.

wsuwrhr
09-22-2004, 10:19 PM
Racer's Edge (http://teamracersedge.com)
For all your ATV and watercraft toys.
Check out this site, my friend's place.
They do their own engine development, manufacture their own parts, build and maintain bikes and watercraft, AND a wheel and an engine dyno for the hardcore folk.
Brian
I am in the market for a pair of Banshee's.

bordsmnj
09-22-2004, 11:00 PM
are they here in so cal ,Brian?
i've seen some of they works in maga zines and at the sand show last week end. nice stuff they do.

wsuwrhr
09-23-2004, 12:45 AM
are they here in so cal ,Brian?
i've seen some of they works in magazines and at the sand show last week end. nice stuff they do.
Hey BordsMJ,
They are in So Cal, a mile or two south of Westech, in Mira Loma/Riverside.
Brian
I was really bummed I had to miss the show last weekend.

sandstorm
09-23-2004, 04:52 AM
Well I havent had a boat as long as Ive had a quad so Ill give you my 2 cents. I lived in coos bay oregon for 8 yrs and owned a quad the hole time. I started out right away with a banshee and rode it in the dunes for yrs. I loved the rush of the power band on the banshee, but being in the dunes and in the trails there was always someone faster so in a very short time I was riding a superior sleeve 509 t-reks, fast on the flat especially on the alcohol. In 98 I broke my back, and riding a drag bike was out of the question in 99 the DS650 came out and a friend of mine bought on for his wife. Since I couldnt handle the banshee anymore I bought a 660 grizzly. I rode the ds650 for the first time in the summer of 2000. I was amazed that I could ride all day and my back didnt hurt. So I bought my first one in 2001. now 2 yrs later I had 2 of them one stock and one with a 760 pami on the bottle making 106hp at the rear tire. within that 2 yr time period I also bought a raptor and had a 690 sparks kit in it but It wasnt a good ride and the frames on them flex and crack if you really use them. The DS is really are a all around bike. And the sweet thing is the ability to smoke off a built banshee on the hill and the flats. A few yrs ago when the 450 came out a real good friend of mine bought one, I rode it and wow the power was good but it felt like riding a blaster. Im 6ft 235 and Im sorry but the 450 is a small guys bike. Good power for a 450 though, In my opinion If I was to rebuy and do it again Id do a built DS..

mxbundy
09-23-2004, 06:24 AM
Dave186,
What the hell are you doing lurking around in here, shouldnt you be on the way to DIRTWEEK? :D
You still hang with 380excman?
This is border line spam, but I have a small business that caters to the vintagemx world,(x-tremevintageyz.com) as a part of that I got into making seat foam and covers for the old bikes since they are no longer available from the oem`s.
Well after some needling from a friend I have ventured into the quad world and I just finished a mold for the YFZ to make a desert seat kit for it. All my buds were complaining that this bike has a hard seat. Well no more, I now have a seat that is 1.5 inchs taller than stock and of a nice soft material that while soft, still offers support.
The Honda 450 is about a week from being done and and then the raptor is next followed by the 400ex and Banshee and on and on and on.
later
mxbundy

dave186
09-23-2004, 06:35 AM
hey bundy whats up? i sent ya a PM.

jeepinscott
09-23-2004, 06:57 AM
I have the two wheeler version four stroke yamaha, so my opinion comes with bias. I also have an old warrior 350 for the wife, (quads are for girls.) The new four strokes are not your dad's four strokes. They get it done.
Honda is also making a 450 quad based on the crf 450 and I've heard that it's a decent bike. The crf does not make the power as fast as the yamaha, but it is smoother in it's delivery, read ridability.
Either is a great choice. I think it comes down to price and use.