PDA

View Full Version : 205MPH Motorcycle ticket!!!

JustMVG
09-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Saw this and wanted to share,
dre_2k2_f4i
Attention *****
205 MPH Speeding Ticket
I wonder how much this cost...
http://wcco.com/localnews/local_story_265090112.html
Reprinted without permission:
Sep 21, 2004 7:58 am US/Central
Wabasha, Minn. (AP) With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a Stillwater motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.
On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.
When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.
"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."
Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.
After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.
The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license -- and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.
<SNIP>
Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kilrtoy
09-21-2004, 07:33 PM
JACKASS
WOW that is inasne

ratso
09-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Hope he was wearing his helmet...

Havasu Hangin'
09-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Hope he was wearing his helmet...
At that speed...a helmet will just make you look better for the funeral (maybe)...

wsuwrhr
09-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Jackass? I hardly think so.
Relatively speaking, compared to other dangerous hobbies, I think sportbikes are a pretty good rush. :hammer2:
I been 175 several times. I would do it again.
So that is my worthless .02
Brian

Racer277
09-21-2004, 08:17 PM
So is this bullshit LEO held stopwatch admissable in court?
God, I hope not. Give me a break.

Havasu Hangin'
09-21-2004, 08:20 PM
So is this bullshit LEO held stopwatch admissable in court?
God, I hope not. Give me a break.
I agree. He probably just used an hourglass instead of a stopwatch.
That's almost as bad as those rediculous motorcycle officers who think that their radar is any better than an hourglass... :jawdrop:

MagicMtnDan
09-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Helmet! :) :) :) That's funny!
At 205 MPH you don't need a helmet if you crash - the body will be a sack of pulverized bones if they find it. :skull:

bordsmnj
09-21-2004, 10:41 PM
helmet hell. he's gonna need a proctologist for the bill the state is gonna give him for that :2purples:

Kilrtoy
09-21-2004, 11:09 PM
I agree. He probably just used an hourglass instead of a stopwatch.
That's almost as bad as those rediculous motorcycle officers who think that their radar is any better than an hourglass... :jawdrop:
Hey if they pass that 1/2 cent sales tax the cops can get rid of their hourglass and maybe come into the 20th century with radars that will sterolize their nuts. I heard they really want to raise it a full cent so they can get lidars and come into the 21st century.
and yes that is legal for the airplane to do that. try reading 40802 of the V.C., I just did....

PHOTOGLOU
09-22-2004, 02:32 AM
13 years ago I got a ticket on a M/C for 150 in a 55 and got traffic school don't think that happens anymore

superdave013
09-22-2004, 03:53 AM
JACKASS
WOW that is inasne
I bet that bike handles better at 200 then that chopper of yours does at 50mph.

Havasu Hangin'
09-22-2004, 04:02 AM
...and yes that is legal for the airplane to do that. try reading 40802 of the V.C., I just did....
Isn't any time measurement considered a speed trap?
Section 40802 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=40001-41000&file=40800-40808) A "speed trap" is either of the following:
(a) A particular section of a highway measured as to distance and with boundaries marked, designated, or otherwise determined in order that the speed of a vehicle may be calculated by securing the time it takes the vehicle to travel the known distance.
This means that "airplane surveillance" tickets are illegal in California, unless the arresting officer paces your vehicle to determine your speed.

Kokopelli
09-22-2004, 04:43 AM
This means that "airplane surveillance" tickets are illegal in California, unless the arresting officer paces your vehicle to determine your speed.
The airplane is using time/distance to calculate its own speed. The plane is pacing you, therefore it is not a speed trap. Some other states allow time/distance measurements where the officer sits on an overpass and uses the lines to calculate your speed.

Havasu Hangin'
09-22-2004, 05:42 AM
The airplane is using time/distance to calculate its own speed. The plane is pacing you, therefore it is not a speed trap.
That is funny.
If an airplane is using time/distance to calculate it's own speed, then doesn't the same calculation apply to the paced vehicle? Pure comedy.
Also, I'd like to see a judge that upholds a pace from an airplane:
Judge- "So what was the distance you paced the vehicle at?"
Airplane Pilot- "It was about 1,000' (give or take 100')...and about 1/4 mile behind (give or take 1/8 mile). Also, I got hit with a couple crosswind gusts, so I had to change course a couple times...but I kept my eye on the stopwatch!"
You traffic officers are very funny. Don't quit your day jobs...you'll never make it in the real world.

dankirk
09-22-2004, 05:47 AM
Section 40802 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=40001-41000&file=40800-40808) A "speed trap" is either of the following:
(a) A particular section of a highway measured as to distance and with boundaries marked, designated, or otherwise determined in order that the speed of a vehicle may be calculated by securing the time it takes the vehicle to travel the known distance.
What makes you think that section applies in Minnesota? Different states=different laws.

Havasu Hangin'
09-22-2004, 05:48 AM
What makes you think that section applies in Minnesota? Different states=different laws.
Kilr was referring to Cali. That's who I quoted.

superdave013
09-22-2004, 05:52 AM
All i know is that if that was me that got the ticket I'd frame it. lol
Heck, I'm best one so far was combo speeding (96 in a 45)/ reckless negligent opperation (racing) at Lake Web (B.V.)

Jbb
09-22-2004, 05:53 AM
Good ole HH.....stirring the pot and livin life in the fast lane :D
Another outburst like that,however....and you will be spending a night in the box... :lightsabe

MagicMtnDan
09-22-2004, 05:54 AM
If you ever get a ticket from an airplane or helicopter pacing your vehicle fight it. The officer in the airplane and the ticketing officer both will have to show up in court that day. Chances are you'll walk (I did when I was paced "speeding" down Beach Boulevard in Huntington Beach some years ago). At least that was the law back then.

Second "PLACE"
09-22-2004, 05:55 AM
No doubt he was hitting warp speed......But 205mph?
The European MOTO-GP bikes raced by the factories, and the fastest riders in the world JUST broke the 200mph mark last year. I question his "calculation"
3 time world champion Valentino Rossi was clocked at 188mph at the race in Motegi, Japan last Sunday.....Wonder if they used Al Loney's "calculation" technique. :confused:

Havasu Hangin'
09-22-2004, 06:01 AM
Good ole HH.....stirring the pot and livin life in the fast lane :D
Another outburst like that,however....and you will be spending a night in the box... :lightsabe
Brian...you should know by now...I only stir the pots that I am intimately familiar with.* :cool:
*I should have a PHd from traffic school by now...

superdave013
09-22-2004, 06:06 AM
No doubt he was hitting warp speed......But 205mph?
The European MOTO-GP bikes raced by the factories, and the fastest riders in the world JUST broke the 200mph mark last year. I question his "calculation"
3 time world champion Valentino Rossi was clocked at 188mph at the race in Motegi, Japan last Sunday.....Wonder if they used Al Loney's "calculation" technique. :confused:
My brotherinlaw and his friends all have turbo busas that run well over 200. Crazy fockers strap GPS units to the bars and make runs. Had some good pics before my hard drive crashed.

Jbb
09-22-2004, 06:07 AM
Brian...you should know by now...I only stir the pots that I am intimately familiar with.* :cool:
*I should have a PHd from traffic school by now...
lol....indeed....The sensitivity training room at the headquarters building for the company I work for ....hasd a desk with my name on it... :cool:

Wet Dream
09-22-2004, 06:47 AM
The airplane is using time/distance to calculate its own speed. The plane is pacing you, therefore it is not a speed trap. Some other states allow time/distance measurements where the officer sits on an overpass and uses the lines to calculate your speed.
How wrong you are. The plane cannot calculate its own speed. Wind speed is never a constant and therefore "pacing" isn't posible. It is simply a measure of time between two lines. The times it takes you to travel between these lines determines your speed. All interstate roads have them, but not in every section. As you drive down the road, look on the shoulder. There will be a white line, about 12 to 18" wide, perpendicular to the fog line, on the outside of the travel lane. In most cases there will be another line 1/2 mile down the road. This time calculates to a speed. In some areas, like here, there is a box in the patrol car. Push a button once to start the timer, press it again to stop it. It automatically calculates your time to speed. Its called Vascar. Now, if you get pulled over by an officer that says you have been clocked by plane, really he can't write you the ticket if you don't want to. The officer that clocked you can. So if you refuse to let the ground officer sign it and want the person in the plane to do it, well, you'll sit there until the plane is done with its operation, lands, and the officer takes his time to get to your location.

FastTimmy
09-22-2004, 06:56 AM
My brotherinlaw and his friends all have turbo busas that run well over 200. Crazy fockers strap GPS units to the bars and make runs. Had some good pics before my hard drive crashed.
I have seen over 230 mph out of a turbo Highbusa (?) those things are crazy..

cruser
09-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Many years ago, while in the Air Force, I was trained in the use of Vascar. Air Force liked it because it does not emit RF that could interfere with military radio/radar. Undetectable by radar detectors. As reliable as the operator. At normal speeds, like < 100, minor errors in starting/stopping the timer does not really make a big difference in the speed over a 1/4 mile measured distance. Trained to clock vehicles while pacing from behind, ahead, or parallel. Trained to use any landmarks along side the road, over passes, signs, lamp posts, etc. You could enter either the time or distance first and then enter the missing parameter.
Possible for a dishonest cop to create a few extra tickets but it is also possible for the dishonest cop to do that using any speed detection device. He could just lie if he wants.

JustMVG
09-22-2004, 12:09 PM
The Dutch World team is selling CBR100RR's that are race bred and built that way but street legal to anyone with the cash and shipping cost, with the build they have reached over 200+ mph without any problems or failures, my guess is the guy had a turbo system and or NO2, i feel sorry for his buddy who was running 150+ and got caught.
Team Ten Kate is the seller.
Mike VG

dicudmore
09-22-2004, 01:28 PM
however accurate it may or may not be, thats wicked fast :D

NastyOne
09-22-2004, 01:39 PM
That is funny.
If an airplane is using time/distance to calculate it's own speed, then doesn't the same calculation apply to the paced vehicle? Pure comedy.
Also, I'd like to see a judge that upholds a pace from an airplane:
Judge- "So what was the distance you paced the vehicle at?"
Airplane Pilot- "It was about 1,000' (give or take 100')...and about 1/4 mile behind (give or take 1/8 mile). Also, I got hit with a couple crosswind gusts, so I had to change course a couple times...but I kept my eye on the stopwatch!"
You traffic officers are very funny. Don't quit your day jobs...you'll never make it in the real world.
ROTFLMAO! :D

NastyOne
09-22-2004, 01:44 PM
:rolleyes: I highly doubt this kid was doing 205. I bet he was moving fast as shit but maybe 180-190. I hope this kid takes the mods of his bike and goes to court to show the judge that the bike can only do 175... TOPS!

Kokopelli
09-22-2004, 02:27 PM
How wrong you are. The plane cannot calculate its own speed. Wind speed is never a constant and therefore "pacing" isn't posible. It is simply a measure of time between two lines. The times it takes you to travel between these lines determines your speed. All interstate roads have them, but not in every section. As you drive down the road, look on the shoulder. There will be a white line, about 12 to 18" wide, perpendicular to the fog line, on the outside of the travel lane. In most cases there will be another line 1/2 mile down the road. This time calculates to a speed. In some areas, like here, there is a box in the patrol car. Push a button once to start the timer, press it again to stop it. It automatically calculates your time to speed. Its called Vascar. Now, if you get pulled over by an officer that says you have been clocked by plane, really he can't write you the ticket if you don't want to. The officer that clocked you can. So if you refuse to let the ground officer sign it and want the person in the plane to do it, well, you'll sit there until the plane is done with its operation, lands, and the officer takes his time to get to your location.
Hmmmm, how do I respond to someone who starts their reply like that! :boxed: The plane is calculating ground speed.
Obviously PA laws and citations are different then here in backwards CA. In CA, there is a place on the citation for a second officers name. CA officers do not need to land their plane to sign tickets. Also, VASCAR (time/distance measurements) are not legal in CA for the purposes of speed enforcement (see previous speed trap code).
But, what do I know......

Ultracrazy
09-22-2004, 02:28 PM
The JACKASS was speeding........I don't think the LEO needed and radar or a "pace" on a guy doing 205 or 105......the idiot was going way to fast. Bet if this guy ending up killing a loved one......this thread would take on a whole new meaning to you folks.

Keithb87
09-22-2004, 02:37 PM
I thought Minnesota was one of the last frontiers... No speed limit on the hwy. Or was that Montana? :confused:

RADDONKEY
09-22-2004, 03:06 PM
I had a bone stock hyabusa, it ran 192 indicated right out of the box. By far the most incredible machine you can buy for 10k. You could get a ticket on the freeway in first gear(85mph) and it was a six speed. Roll on 100mph wheelies were no problem. So all ya need for 200 is a pipe, remap fuel injection, sprocket, and a HUGE nutbasket! :cool: RD

Tom Brown
09-22-2004, 03:13 PM
The sensitivity training room at the headquarters building for the company I work for ....hasd a desk with my name on it... :cool:
How does sensitivity training work in your outfit, Brian? :confused:
Do they put a cardigan on you, strap you to a barcalounger, and force you to watch Cosby show reruns?

Jbb
09-22-2004, 03:33 PM
How does sensitivity training work in your outfit, Brian? :confused:
Do they put a cardigan on you, strap you to a barcalounger, and force you to watch Cosby show reruns?
No.....the woman in charge sees me come in,loses all expression in her face,and says " Oh....You again......Have a seat..." ....I go to my usual chair....and usually am asleep in less than 5 min.....! :D

Kilrtoy
09-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Now we know how you got the name wet dream. I agree REFUSE TO SIGN IT

Kilrtoy
09-22-2004, 03:42 PM
Possible for a dishonest cop to create a few extra tickets but it is also possible for the dishonest cop to do that using any speed detection device. He could just lie if he wants.
All cops are liars, They are taught in the ACADEMY LYING & DISHONESTY 101
if they cant pass that they are kicked out of the academy.
Also they have Violate minorities rights 101 and harrasment 101....

Tom Brown
09-22-2004, 03:43 PM
I go to my usual chair....and usually am asleep in less than 5 min.....! :D
She's probably impressed that a hippy type, such as yourself, even has a job. :D

God
09-22-2004, 03:44 PM
I can't believe they caught me? I should have never slowed down and waited for Moses. Medamnit!

Jbb
09-22-2004, 03:46 PM
She's probably impressed that a hippy type, such as yourself, even has a job. :D
Hippy Type.....Rock on Brown...you know I am all about Peace Love and Understanding.....Unless you drive an outboard.... :wink:

mickeyfinn
09-22-2004, 03:48 PM
Don't know how it works out west but in Georgia your first trip to court is to enter a plea. The days of hoping the arresting officer are pretty much done. Once you plead not guilty they arrange to have the citing officer in court on your court date. Now if you are clocked by a plane and the arresting officer is on the ground you stand a good chance of beating it if the one who actually took the measurement does not show up. I recieved a ticket for 80 in a 55 at a time when I was carrying 14 points on my license. The officer was in the median of the interstate shooting radar and radioing to another 2 patrol cars about 2 miles up the road telling them who to pull over. I had no choice but to either plead not guilty or lose my license for a while. While waiting for my turn to come up on the docket I was talking to an attorney who was also waiting and he told me that in cases like this 90% of the time the one who shows in court is the one who issued the ticket. He advised me that if this was the case All I had to do was inform the judge that this was not the officer who was operating the radar and that anything he had to say was hearsay and not admissable. It happened, I did and the judge threw it out. I think that is the only break I have ever got from the traffic courts.

Tom Brown
09-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Rock on Brown...you know I am all about Peace Love and Understanding.....
Actually Brian, my last comment was just my subtle way of letting you know I was the one who gave you the feedback that says, "Get a job, you God damn hippy!".
Don't worry, it was positive.

Kilrtoy
09-22-2004, 04:07 PM
In california there is a thing called "15".
for those who know, you know what I mean and for those who dont, you may find out some day.... I know I did......

Jbb
09-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Actually Brian, my last comment was just my subtle way of letting you know I was the one who gave you the feedback that says, "Get a job, you God damn hippy!".
Don't worry, it was positive.
I knew it was you Tom,...I tried to return the Karma ...but the board rejected my goodwill towards you...something about closing the borders ...I dont know.... :D

coolchange
09-22-2004, 05:01 PM
I highly doubt this kid was doing 205. I bet he was moving fast as shit but maybe 180-190. I hope this kid takes the mods of his bike and goes to court to show the judge that the bike can only do 175... TOPS!
Bwwaahahaha. I doubt he was doing 205, maybe 200 or 201.But not 205. :D Wanna see fast? Turbo Busa goin 205------> across the dirt!!!
El Mirage this guys makin a pass and I'm like WTF? Clutch slippin at the mile marker? Then I realize he's got wheel spin at 200 tryin to hook up!! :sqeyes:

Tom Brown
09-22-2004, 05:17 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

Wet Dream
09-22-2004, 06:51 PM
I thought Minnesota was one of the last frontiers... No speed limit on the hwy. Or was that Montana? :confused:
That would be Montana. Daytime speed limits are "Reasonable and prudent". Night time speed limits for all vehicles are 65 mph.

Wet Dream
09-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Hmmmm, how do I respond to someone who starts their reply like that! :boxed: The plane is calculating ground speed.
Obviously PA laws and citations are different then here in backwards CA. In CA, there is a place on the citation for a second officers name. CA officers do not need to land their plane to sign tickets. Also, VASCAR (time/distance measurements) are not legal in CA for the purposes of speed enforcement (see previous speed trap code).
But, what do I know......
I'm not trying to sit here and argue, but the "plane" does not calculate ground speed. A plane's speed in measured in knots, roughly the same as ground speed (MPH). But since the air is always buffeting in different directions and has different densities, it never a constant factor. Here in the regional area, (OH, IN, IL, PA, NY, WV, VA, etc. etc) they do not need to land the plane either, but if you refuse to sign the ticket until the officer that recorded or timed your speed signs the citation, the officer on the ground can either place you in jail, revoke your license, or make you wait for the officer in the plane to come out and issue the ticket himself.
Now granted, airplane enforcement may be illegal in CA, this didn't happen in CA.

Racer277
09-22-2004, 07:30 PM
The cop used a stop watch.
"The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph."
If he was off by oh let's say .66 of a second while recording that 'admissable in court' measurement, then what would the speed be?
This is a joke. No professional uses hand held stop watches for recording sub 5 second measurements.
Name should be Looney, because he thinks he is a professional at judging speed. Reckless driving ok, est at 150 plus, maybe ok. But to say that my handheld stopwatch (from an airplane) clocked him in 4.39 seconds is plain stupid. :hammer2:

northern baja
09-22-2004, 07:42 PM
I'm sure they'll work something out. I understand his dad is a sargent in the sheriff's orfice.
This is an annual event. The flood run along the river brings in a few thousand bikes for a mad dash down the river. I understand several tickets were issued for 100+.
As far as I know this year was actually good in that no one died on Saturday. A buddy is on the EMT crew that works the road just south of where this happened. In years past he has always bagged atleast one. This year things were quiet on Saturday. The bikes were still thick on Sunday though and the ambulances were busy.
Everybodys stupid sometime, I just wish them the same luck I had when I was pulling this shit!

Ultracrazy
09-22-2004, 08:17 PM
All cops are liars, They are taught in the ACADEMY LYING & DISHONESTY 101
if they cant pass that they are kicked out of the academy.
Also they have Violate minorities rights 101 and harrasment 101....
Whoa........dude.........I hope your not serious? But if you are........next time......don't sign the ticket and I'll visit you in jail. :p

TCHB
09-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Today the top end race bikes are just now going over 200mph and cost about $1MM spent by Honda. I do not think this guy was even close! I think he was stupid trying to go that fast on the street.

Seadog
09-23-2004, 06:05 AM
In many states, the straight sections of major roads are marked with lines that have an emblem to identify them. The ones I am familiar with use time dated cameras to show the enter time and the exit time. Legal, reliable and does not require the officer to be present in court. Some states are looking at other means of using time elapse photography and similar devices to give out speeding tickets.
As for the bad mouthing police and acting like your sh!t dont stink when you violate the law, get real. Most cops are decent people doing a difficult job. You want a bada$$, just give them carp. They are better at dishing it out then you will ever be. I have learned a few tricks about how much you can push the speed limits, but I still get pulled over now and then. Most times I get off with a warning. I got one ticket reduced from 30 mph over to less than 10 mph over and the cop apologized for giving it to me. It is simple, I treat them with the respect they deserve and do not give them a line of BS that they have heard before. They know that people make mistakes and most of them have pushed the speed limits. Accept that you screwed up and they are not as interested in seeing you get punished.

superdave013
09-23-2004, 06:13 AM
Today the top end race bikes are just now going over 200mph and cost about $1MM spent by Honda. I do not think this guy was even close! I think he was stupid trying to go that fast on the street.
go to this site and say that
http://www.labusas.org
Lots of bikes going over 200 these days on the street. Keep in mind there is no rule books like you have in racing.

Havasu Hangin'
09-23-2004, 06:22 AM
Lots of bikes going over 200 these days on the street. Keep in mind there is no rule books like you have in racing.
And keep in mind that tall gears in race bikes aren't always desired...

superdave013
09-23-2004, 06:28 AM
this is from the new paper that did the write up. It's a response to someone's e-mail.
"Mr. Tilley apparently works at a shop that specializes in supercharging motorcycles, and his bike is, according to the police, custom. The big Hondas are certainly capable of such high speeds under modification, and apparently this guy has (or had?) one. But it is definitely possible he will contest the stopwatch clocking, not that it really matters. So what if he was driving 180, not 205? At that speed, it make little difference legally.
Pioneer Press
345 Cedar St
St Paul, MN 55101"

superdave013
09-23-2004, 06:29 AM
And keep in mind that tall gears in race bikes aren't always desired...
And you don't see turbo's with a nice lil nitrous cooled intercoolers either.

NastyOne
09-23-2004, 07:40 AM
If he was off by oh let's say .66 of a second while recording that 'admissable in court' measurement, then what would the speed be?
This is a joke. No professional uses hand held stop watches for recording sub 5 second measurements.
Name should be Looney, because he thinks he is a professional at judging speed. Reckless driving ok, est at 150 plus, maybe ok. But to say that my handheld stopwatch (from an airplane) clocked him in 4.39 seconds is plain stupid. :hammer2:
Thats exactly what i'm saying! There is no way that this guy was right on the money! Its such a crock of shit.

coolchange
09-23-2004, 08:00 AM
I have a friend that has a busa and a badass Buell. They used to meet at 2 am on the third weds. of evry blue moon in months with only one E or some secret thing. They had a course in and around the L.A. area with course watchers. I fyou entered a section and got a green course was Probably clear, If it ws red you broke up and hauled away. If you fell a 1/4 mile off the group you dropped out. He was taqlkin about a guy when he was pinned on his Busa that just flat left him. Said he had to have hit 2 bucks. :jawdrop: They stopped when one guy did a parked car at about 140. I love to cruise my bros Gamma but that shit is insane!

Kilrtoy
09-23-2004, 08:37 AM
Whoa........dude.........I hope your not serious? But if you are........next time......don't sign the ticket and I'll visit you in jail. :p
DUDE like totally serious :supp:

Havasu Hangin'
09-25-2004, 06:55 AM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0922042speed1.gif

Moneypitt
09-25-2004, 07:26 AM
My friend Jim Owen, a firefighter from Iron Mountain Michagan, holds 4 world land speed records in a couple different classes. Salt flats at 213, the east coast runway at marsden standing mile at 216 and change. At that time, 2004, his was the fastest Kawi on the planet. With a little detuning he rides it on the street/highway. MP

RandyH
09-26-2004, 08:31 AM
8/6/2004
Suzuki Hayabusa Streetbike Clocked At 251 MPH In Texas
From a press release issued by Scott Guthrie:
Scott Guthrie, at age 59-3/4 an aging road racer for sure, slammed Rich Yancy's street legal Suzuki Hayabusa hard through the 250 MPH barrier, to a final official record speed of 251.148 MPH. That's the fastest speed ever recorded for a streetbike, and the fastest record in history for what land speed racers call an "open wheel bike," and the track record.
Guthrie's big speed came on his final run Sunday 1 AUG 04 at the TEXAS MILE top speed race (www.texasmile.com) near Goliad, TX. The 251.148 MPH terminal speed was after a standing-start mile run to the timing trap. Guthrie said "With the wind coming up, and the day getting warmer, I knew that run was going to be the only chance in my life to break the 250 MPH barrier. The run before was a 248 MPH time, so I knew the bike was ready. I just had to put down the best pass of my life to get the record."
Rich Yancy, an engine man for Dale Earnhardt Inc, trucked his daily ride bike from his home in Charlotte NC to Texas for just this meet, at Guthrie's insistance. "This is the best paved Land Speed Racing track available in the USA, and I knew we had to go there to have any real chance for this record. My agreement to ride for Rich was up Sunday evening, so this was it," Guthrie allowed later. "I knew the bike was capable of that speed, I just had to be the one to ride it."
Before Guthrie took over the fast seat, builder Yancy himself made a track-record run of 244.358 MPH. "It is so confidence inspiring that Rich is willing to build and tune the bike, prepare it and deliver it to the track by himself. And then he sets the track record himself, and hands me the keys! I just KNEW the bike was safe, fast, and would run straight." Guthrie glowed, "How many tuners will do that for their riders? Rich is a quiet genius with the bike, and one of the world's best land speed racers, in his own right."
Yancy's bike is almost standard in appearance, with stock appearing bodywork and tank, stock forks, stock wheelbase, and full street equipment. The big difference is the addition of a MR TURBO turbo kit, which has been extensively modified by Yancy, including a VERY trick Yancy designed -and-built intercooler. No skinny thing, the bike weighs in at full standard curb weight.
"This bike is so docile off the throttle, you get no idea about the power on tap. Rich told me he was going to ride it to work when he got home, and show it off to his friends at the job." Guthrie said. In addition to building the record setting Hayabusa, Yancy had a hand in building the engine for this years' winner of the NASCAR Daytona 500.
Terry Kiser, builder of the MR TURBO kit was on hand to watch Guthrie's record breaking 251 MPH blast. Kiser remarked: "Guthrie's run was by no means easy. From 500 yards away, I saw the wind catch him twice. He's lucky he stayed on!" Kiser then took the bars himself, and posted a 239.304 MPH personal best.
Guthrie is no stranger to road racing. Long time readers may recall that one of Guthrie's TZ750's finished 8th and 10th in the Daytona 200 in 1983 and 1984, under John Long.

MagicMtnDan
09-27-2004, 05:38 AM
MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (AP) -- People across the United States are shaking their heads over the kid ticketed for allegedly riding his motorcycle at 205 mph -- some out of disapproval, others because they doubt he went that fast.
Ever since a State Patrol pilot clocked Samuel Armstrong Tilley's 2002 Honda RC51 going a quarter-mile in 4.39 seconds on September 18, people in chat rooms, garages and biker bars from Sturgis, South Dakota, to Los Angeles have been buzzing about the alleged feat on Highway 61 near Wabasha.
"Certainly anyone who flouts the law to that extent is seen by some as a latter-day Robin Hood, flying in the face of authority and doing stuff we all want to do but common sense stops us from," said David Edwards, editor-in-chief of Cycle World, a magazine based in Newport Beach, California.
Edwards is among the many experts who doubt Tilley's bike could have gone so fast. "More likely, the cop with the stopwatch had an itchy trigger finger," he told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis.
"There are lots of guys who have been spending a lot of money and a lot of years at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah trying to join the official 200 Club and most still haven't done it," Edwards said. He said Tilley's bike would have needed an add-on turbo charger to go above 165 mph.
State Patrol pilot Al Loney, a 27-year veteran, and his superiors stand by their report.
Tilley, who graduated from Stillwater High School last year, hasn't returned numerous calls seeking comment. He's due to appear in Wabasha County Court on October 25.
Tilley purchased his motorcycle last summer from Tousley Motorsports in White Bear Lake, where he once worked.
Tousley President Larry Koch said Tilley is a nice guy, "but I really want to ask him: 'What in the hell were you thinking?"'
Here's over 100 more pieces of coverage from around the world:
http://news.google.com/?hl=en&ncl=http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/27/national/main645686.shtml

superdave013
09-27-2004, 05:52 AM
8/6/2004
Suzuki Hayabusa Streetbike Clocked At 251 MPH In Texas
From a press release issued by Scott Guthrie:
Scott Guthrie, at age 59-3/4 an aging road racer for sure, slammed Rich Yancy's street legal Suzuki Hayabusa hard through the 250 MPH barrier, to a final official record speed of 251.148 MPH. That's the fastest speed ever recorded for a streetbike, and the fastest record in history for what land speed racers call an "open wheel bike," and the track record.
Guthrie's big speed came on his final run Sunday 1 AUG 04 at the TEXAS MILE top speed race (www.texasmile.com) near Goliad, TX. The 251.148 MPH terminal speed was after a standing-start mile run to the timing trap. Guthrie said "With the wind coming up, and the day getting warmer, I knew that run was going to be the only chance in my life to break the 250 MPH barrier. The run before was a 248 MPH time, so I knew the bike was ready. I just had to put down the best pass of my life to get the record."
Rich Yancy, an engine man for Dale Earnhardt Inc, trucked his daily ride bike from his home in Charlotte NC to Texas for just this meet, at Guthrie's insistance. "This is the best paved Land Speed Racing track available in the USA, and I knew we had to go there to have any real chance for this record. My agreement to ride for Rich was up Sunday evening, so this was it," Guthrie allowed later. "I knew the bike was capable of that speed, I just had to be the one to ride it."
Before Guthrie took over the fast seat, builder Yancy himself made a track-record run of 244.358 MPH. "It is so confidence inspiring that Rich is willing to build and tune the bike, prepare it and deliver it to the track by himself. And then he sets the track record himself, and hands me the keys! I just KNEW the bike was safe, fast, and would run straight." Guthrie glowed, "How many tuners will do that for their riders? Rich is a quiet genius with the bike, and one of the world's best land speed racers, in his own right."
Yancy's bike is almost standard in appearance, with stock appearing bodywork and tank, stock forks, stock wheelbase, and full street equipment. The big difference is the addition of a MR TURBO turbo kit, which has been extensively modified by Yancy, including a VERY trick Yancy designed -and-built intercooler. No skinny thing, the bike weighs in at full standard curb weight.
"This bike is so docile off the throttle, you get no idea about the power on tap. Rich told me he was going to ride it to work when he got home, and show it off to his friends at the job." Guthrie said. In addition to building the record setting Hayabusa, Yancy had a hand in building the engine for this years' winner of the NASCAR Daytona 500.
Terry Kiser, builder of the MR TURBO kit was on hand to watch Guthrie's record breaking 251 MPH blast. Kiser remarked: "Guthrie's run was by no means easy. From 500 yards away, I saw the wind catch him twice. He's lucky he stayed on!" Kiser then took the bars himself, and posted a 239.304 MPH personal best.
Guthrie is no stranger to road racing. Long time readers may recall that one of Guthrie's TZ750's finished 8th and 10th in the Daytona 200 in 1983 and 1984, under John Long.
Well well well, I guess my brotherinlaw is no longer the builder/tuner of the fastest bike in Texas. lol, bet he's pissed and hard at work right now!

Tom Brown
09-27-2004, 06:49 AM
I can hit 45 k/h on my mountain bike.

Kilrtoy
09-27-2004, 11:39 AM
This is a joke. No professional uses hand held stop watches for recording sub 5 second measurements
yeah people dont normally run past 120 either, so whats your point

racecar.hotshoe
09-27-2004, 11:40 AM
This is a joke. No professional uses hand held stop watches for recording sub 5 second measurements
yeah people dont normally run past 120 either, so whats your pointWhat about Rosco P Coaltrain...

Racer277
09-27-2004, 11:42 AM
yeah people dont normally run past 120 either, so whats your point
Well, in motorsports, people normally run well past 120. But again for recording measurements below 5 seconds, no professional would ever use a hand held stopwatch. My point is this should not be admissable in court.

Kilrtoy
09-27-2004, 11:52 AM
This guy is on a public street, who by the way was endangering innocent motorist live, This guy is a criminal, this was not some PROFESSIONAL closed course race. Compare apples to apples.

fat rat
09-27-2004, 12:19 PM
I have seen over 230 mph out of a turbo Highbusa (?) those things are crazy..
I thought I was running good at 160 plus on a 1975 Z2 750.......back in the late 70's. I can't even imagine.........230. Now a days, I get my ELR up around 120 and I'm backing out of it. :rolleyes: :cool:

Racer277
09-27-2004, 12:28 PM
This guy is on a public street, who by the way was endangering innocent motorist live, This guy is a criminal, this was not some PROFESSIONAL closed course race. Compare apples to apples.
I was referring to the person estimating his speed. IMHO that person should be a professional and use professional equipment if it is to be admissable in a court of law. Of course that is IMHO. :hammer2:
Sorry this has been so confusing for you.
BTW isn't he supposed to receive some type of trial before he is determined to be a criminal? But, I am not a pro on these matters either.

superdave013
09-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Yo Kilrtoy, what do you think about these big poker run style boats cranking down havasu (or under the bridge at the Avi) at 140+? Is that ok or are they endangering me or you when we are trying to teach a kid how to ski?
I'm not sayin what's right or wrong. I just wanna hear your take first then I'll give mine.

Wet Dream
09-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Yo Kilrtoy, what do you think about these big poker run style boats cranking down havasu (or under the bridge at the Avi) at 140+? Is that ok or are they endangering me or you when we are trying to teach a kid how to ski?
I'm not sayin what's right or wrong. I just wanna hear your take first then I'll give mine.
I'm waiting for a response on this one. :D

Tom Brown
09-27-2004, 01:43 PM
I just wanna hear your take first then I'll give mine.
Yeah Kilr, kick in with your point of view so we can judge you on it. :D

MagicMtnDan
09-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Yeah Kilr, kick in with your point of view so we can judge you on it. :D
Of course if your point of view is accompanied by a new, revealing pic of your lovely wife then I don't think anyone will even read what your post :D

Kilrtoy
09-27-2004, 02:02 PM
Ok you are willing to concede to 150MPH, that is still how fast over the speed limit, So yes you get a trial and yes even if the cop was off by your estimates 55MPH, he is still a crimina,l he is endangering peoples lives...

Kilrtoy
09-27-2004, 02:04 PM
I have seen this, where they fly by crowded places and I think they are jackass's, next question, but I also dont think the river is a place to teach a person let alone a kid how to water ski. And yes they should be cited for whatever its called, Some form of reckless driving...

Kilrtoy
09-27-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm waiting for a response on this one. :D
Do you even know where the AVI is....

superdave013
09-27-2004, 02:42 PM
next question, but I also dont think the river is a place to teach a person let alone a kid how to water ski. ...
WHAT???????????? Sorry but my pool is to small to teach a kid to ski in. Countless people have learned to ski at Havasu or the river.
Race course is for racing and the public lakes and rivers are for fun. Yes, that includes sking.
I'm down for a lil illegal river racing as much as the next guy. But some of this stuff is off the flippen hook. Bad ass with out question but I'm still in shock that there is not someone getting killed every weekend out there.
And yes they should be cited for whatever its called, Some form of reckless driving...
You're sliping kilr. I thought you would site the code # and everything. That would be Reckless and Neglient Opperation. (don't ask how I know)

Racer277
09-27-2004, 02:48 PM
I also dont think the river is a place to teach a person let alone a kid how to water ski. And yes they should be cited for whatever its called, Some form of reckless driving...
I don't buy it. The river is a place to teach, and to float, and to swim, and to have fun. Also to race.
When someone does something stupid, and endangers or hurts another, he should be taken to task for it. There are laws against that.
Fair enough KLR.

Kilrtoy
09-27-2004, 02:54 PM
So, these speeds on the street make you a criminal without trial, but on a (public) river, they are ok?
I don't buy it. The river is a place to teach, and to float, and to swim, and to have fun. Also to race.
When someone does something stupid, and endangers or hurts another, he should be taken to task for it. There are laws against that.
Selective cutting and pasting , just isnt gonna cut it, reprint my whole qoute. The last line after that you have have SELECTIVELY left out....
And yes the river is not the place. I used to ski/wakeboard/tube at the river years ago, But it also wasnt as crowded back then either, I would never think of doing such a thing now, out of pure safety for myself and passengers.
I didnt qoute the section, because it was a lose/lose situation, Someone would say well the waterways are az and im a resident of az not cali, or visa versa

Second "PLACE"
09-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Huh ?

Second "PLACE"
09-29-2004, 01:58 PM
Yup

Kilrtoy
10-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Trooper Darryl L. Haywood
Florida Highway Patrol
Florida
End of Watch: Saturday, October 2, 2004
Biographical Info
Tour of Duty: 24½ yr
Badge Number: Not available
Incident Details
Cause of Death: Vehicle pursuit
Date of Incident: Saturday, October 2, 2004
Weapon Used: Not available
Suspect Info: Apprehended
Trooper Haywood was killed when his patrol car crashed during a pursuit.
He was pursuing a motorcycle on I-4, just east of State Road 44, in Volusia County. At about 1345 hours, Trooper Haywood was alerted to be on the lookout for a Porsche and a motorcycle racing at speeds of over 150 miles per hour in the eastbound lane of I-4. Trooper Haywood spotted the two vehicles, but both drivers pulled away at a high rate of speed. The Porsche escaped, but Trooper Haywood continued to try to stop the motorcyclist. During the pursuit, the right rear tire on Trooper Haywood's Chevrolet Camaro patrol car blew out and caused the patrol car to hit another vehicle. The patrol car then flipped several times and struck a tree on the south side of the interstate, killing Trooper Haywood.
The driver of the motorcycle was apprehended later in the day by deputies from the St. Johns County Sheriff Department. He was charged with felony aggravated fleeing and eluding.
Trooper Haywood had served with the Florida Highway Patrol for four years, and had previously served with the New York City Police Department, where he retired at the rank of Detective. Trooper Haywood was awarded the Florida Highway Patrol's Trooper of the Month for July 2004 for his life-saving actions in pulling a motorist from a burning vehicle.
He is survived by his wife, two children, and grandchildren.

wsuwrhr
10-03-2004, 07:06 PM
"Certainly anyone who flouts the law to that extent is seen by some as a latter-day Robin Hood, flying in the face of authority and doing stuff we all want to do but common sense stops us from," said David Edwards, editor-in-chief of Cycle World, a magazine based in Newport Beach, California.
Edwards is among the many experts who doubt Tilley's bike could have gone so fast. "More likely, the cop with the stopwatch had an itchy trigger finger," he told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis.
"There are lots of guys who have been spending a lot of money and a lot of years at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah trying to join the official 200 Club and most still haven't done it," Edwards said. He said Tilley's bike would have needed an add-on turbo charger to go above 165 mph.
---------------------------------------------
"doing stuff we all want to do but common sense stops us from"
Yea, someone living on the edge. Anyone think think they are getting out of this life alive?
"would have needed an add on turbo to go above 165"?
What era is this guy from? The 70's? There are more than a few liter-class STOCK motorcycles going over 165. I own one ten years old that will eclipse that speed.
Brian

wsuwrhr
10-03-2004, 07:21 PM
I am curious to know as to where, in respect to the nearest town, that this guy was caught speeding on.
Anyone want to know what I-40 traffic is like in the early morning hours?
I know of several highways in So Cal, some well traveled and some not, that are suited for these kinds of speed, whether it is LEGAL or not.
I didn't vote on a speed limit, who decided that? A survey, facts and figures on which speed is safer for an accident? Come on, people are still dying. Seatbelts save lives, right?
People die of all causes, some tragic, some not.
Been happening since the beginning of time, every new law we pass saves peoples lives right?
Laws are good, keeps people safe right?
Guess what, people are still dying, everywhere. We can't stop it, yet we pass more laws to fix it, won't work. At least it hasn't yet.
What a rant,
Flame away, just don't send me negative reputation, it is just an opinion.
Brian

JustMVG
10-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Jan 1 2005 the max speed limit in Ca. will be dropped back down to 65mph max, no more 70, why? because the amount of time that the accidents were taking to clean up mostly on I 15 so expect some major ticketing going on starting the first of the year. Didn't want to Hijack the thread but pass on this info, Mike VG