PDA

View Full Version : Who Would Have Thunk!

racecar.hotshoe
09-21-2004, 08:03 PM
WASHINGTON - A London-to-Washington flight was diverted to Maine on Tuesday when it was discovered passenger Yusuf Islam — formerly known as singer Cat Stevens — was on a government watch list and barred from entering the country, federal officials said.
AP Photo
United Airlines Flight 919 was en route to Dulles International Airport when the match was made between a passenger and a name on the watch list, said Nico Melendez, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration. The plane was met by federal agents at Maine's Bangor International Airport around 3 p.m., Melendez said.
Homeland Security Department spokesman Dennis Murphy identified the passenger as Islam. "He was interviewed and denied admission to the United States on national security grounds," Murphy said, and would be put on the first available flight out of the country Wednesday.
Officials had no details about why the peace activist might be considered a risk to the United States. Islam had visited New York in May to promote a DVD of his 1976 MajiKat tour.
One official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Islam, 56, was identified by the Advanced Passenger Information System, which requires airlines to send passenger information to Customs and Border Protection's National Targeting Center. The Transportation Security Administration then was contacted and requested that the plane land at the nearest airport, that official said.
Melendez said Islam was questioned by FBI (news - web sites) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials.

Racer277
09-21-2004, 08:14 PM
So...since he wasn't allowed into the country his flight was sent to...Maine. I'm sure there were alot of passengers on there wondering WTF, aren't there more federal agents in...Washington...than in Maine? :hammerhea

uvindex
09-21-2004, 08:24 PM
So...since he wasn't allowed into the country his flight was sent to...Maine. I'm sure there were alot of passengers on there wondering WTF, aren't there more federal agents in...Washington...than in Maine? :hammerhea
If you look at a globe (not a map) you can see that Maine is on the way to DC when coming from England. So, Maine is pretty much the first part of the US that they get to, and therefore they don't have to fly over more of the US with a possible terrorist aboard. Plus, Maine doesn't have many terrorist targets that I'm aware of, while DC has a bazillion of them. :)

racecar.hotshoe
09-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Cats in the cradle and a rag on my head.WTF :mad:

Racer277
09-21-2004, 08:30 PM
I admit that I miss the point. What does it matter how much of the us he fly's over? If he fly's over 100 miles or 1000 miles of the US, I don't see the difference. The only thing that might really make a diff is if they turned the plane around. That's when I would be really pissed as another passenger. But, again, I don't see the point of a compromise, he landed in the US. He was greeted by agents before he got off the plane. That could have happened in DC and been a lot less inconvenient and less spectacular (what the terrorists want, right?).
If the worry was a bomb (I can only assume) then why is Maine ok?