PDA

View Full Version : Howard 28 Bullet or DCB 28 Extreme

riverbum
09-21-2004, 08:09 PM
I am looking to purchase a new boat and am narrowing it down to the Howard 28 Bullet or the DCB 28 Extreme. The hull construction and rigging on both are impecable. Price is comparable, so now it time to make a decision. Give me your opinions on either of these boats.

Bre
09-21-2004, 08:12 PM
The numbers (speed) speak for themselves.... buy the Bullet.

Mandelon
09-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Howard. I think the Bullet just looks better.
But ask Roln 20's, he might have an opinion. :mix:

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-21-2004, 08:14 PM
I am looking to purchase a new boat and am narrowing it down to the Howard 28 Bullet or the DCB 28 Extreme. The hull construction and rigging on both are impecable. Price is comparable, so now it time to make a decision. Give me your opinions on either of these boats.
we use to own a 28 extreme from DCB.. we loved it.. but I think you should go with what you want..
what are you going to put in it speed wise.
we had a teague 800 with a blower.. and the top speed we got with an open bow was 93.. or so.. :p

TOBTEK
09-21-2004, 08:21 PM
P/M...MACH26/javier here on the boards. He has a beautiful 03 DCB Extreme 28 forsale with a 575 in it. Was just talking with him tonight. im sure someone here has pics of it from the 03 LA boat show. The thing is FLAWLESS! And remember speed isnt everything, how many weekends do you run WFO all the time?

riverbum
09-21-2004, 08:23 PM
I am still working on the engine package. Both of the boats come stock with the Merc 496 mag. I would love to get the HP 525.

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Which of those boats have the deeper V? Which one would be a better preformer in the salt? I would imagine the DCB.....

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-21-2004, 08:25 PM
I am still working on the engine package. Both of the boats come stock with the Merc 496 mag. I would love to get the HP 525.
well good luck in the search.. but to honest.. you would be very happy with the DCB.. they are awesome boats and the crew there is even better.. :wink:

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Which of those boats have the deeper V? Which one would be a better preformer in the salt? I would imagine the DCB.....
But of course.. I have a pic of ours if you want to see it in the water if that helps.. :D

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-21-2004, 08:27 PM
But of course.. I have a pic of ours if you want to see it in the water if that helps.. :D
Post it...I would like to see it MFV

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-21-2004, 08:30 PM
this is our old boat..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/719Havasu_15-16-03_026-med.jpg

WetWillie
09-21-2004, 08:30 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/672P0003963-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/672P0003964-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/672P0003974-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/672P0003973-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/672P0003975-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/672P0003976-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/672P0003977-med.JPG
W

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-21-2004, 08:31 PM
Very nice MFV....

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Very nice MFV....
thank you.. I loved that boat.. but now we have the kitty.. and she purrrrs.. :D :devil:

Kilrtoy
09-21-2004, 08:33 PM
DCB is a 22 V

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-21-2004, 08:37 PM
thank you.. I loved that boat.. but now we have the kitty.. and she purrrrs.. :D :devil:
I am looking at upgrading my SW 25 to the 29 but maybe I should give DCB an opportunity when I get serious. I think the SW would be a bigger boat and not just because of the 29 -vs- 28 but because the swim step is not counted on the SW. I may be wrong on that one though. I would love to get the Bullet also but it does not have the freeboard I would want nor the size I would require.
I would probably pay at least another $20K for the DCB and I am not sure it would be warranted. That is just a guess on my end.

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-21-2004, 08:38 PM
DCB is a 22 V
K...How about the Bulelt?

riverbum
09-21-2004, 08:42 PM
The freeboard on the Howard is 40 " and the DCB 42". Both of the boats have a 22 degree v.

bigq
09-21-2004, 09:07 PM
The freeboard on the Howard is 40 " and the DCB 42". Both of the boats have a 22 degree v.
Look at the entry on the Howard, it will slice the salt if you go there. I think the Howard would handle speed better (only from what I have read). Both are put together well, but I would venture to say Howard was a little stouter.

BLOWN HOWARD
09-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Read in all the mags the Bullet is the fastest vee bottom in its class ever tested!!!!!!!!! Nobody makes a more effiecient hull than howard does!!!!!!!!

Riverhound
09-21-2004, 09:36 PM
So how was the visit to Howard today? ;)

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Read in all the mags the Bullet is the fastest vee bottom in its class ever tested!!!!!!!!! Nobody makes a more effiecient hull than howard does!!!!!!!!
No arguing with that one. The Bullet is definitly a well built, fast boat. If/when I get that size of boat I think I want something that can handle the ocean. It may handle it OK but I would think that 4 foot rollers would really cause havoc on the Howard. I have never been in one before though.

cdog
09-21-2004, 10:13 PM
I've been told that the Howard is a great boat but in order to get the speed out of it, the design has less freeboard and is more narrow. If you plan to go in the ocean much I don't think i'd recomend the Howard. But the next step would be a Lavey Craft. That's a Damm Nice Boat! If I could afford one that's what I would have bought. I just picked up my 29 ft. Shockwave and am planning on running it for the first time this weekend. The DCB's are nice but Lavey has more experience with the V hulls and they hold up in competition and win races so that say's it all to me. Good luck on your choice, they are all nice boats.

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-21-2004, 10:26 PM
I've been told that the Howard is a great boat but in order to get the speed out of it, the design has less freeboard and is more narrow. If you plan to go in the ocean much I don't think i'd recomend the Howard. But the next step would be a Lavey Craft. That's a Damm Nice Boat! If I could afford one that's what I would have bought. I just picked up my 29 ft. Shockwave and am planning on running it for the first time this weekend. The DCB's are nice but Lavey has more experience with the V hulls and they hold up in competition and win races so that say's it all to me. Good luck on your choice, they are all nice boats.
Congrats on your new 29 :)

cdog
09-21-2004, 10:45 PM
Congrats on your new 29 :)
Hey thank's. Are you going out this weekend? We're going to havasu.

jbtrailerjim
09-22-2004, 05:08 AM
Tough choice but if I was going to choose between the two. I'd probably go with the DCB. I was parked next to a 28' Bullet this weekend in Havasu and it just seems small for a 28' boat. Very nice boat though. I'm thinking I'd be mighty happy with either one. Good luck with your choice.

SHOCKWAVETOM
09-22-2004, 05:15 AM
I will be at Mohave for OP6

beer hunter
09-22-2004, 05:46 AM
this is our old boat..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/719Havasu_15-16-03_026-med.jpg
Beautiful boat Mrs. Flyin Vee, I like the looks of the 28 Extreme much better without the canopies :)

OGShocker
09-22-2004, 05:57 AM
Both companies build OUTSTANDING boats! I would suggest driving both before choosing either.
If you go with Howard have Gene give a delivery date in writing . I have heard horror stories from some folks over the years.
Any Howard owners that want to rep' snipe me? Please sign your snipes.
BTW, I hear DCB throws a "better" Regatta!

MagicMtnDan
09-22-2004, 06:03 AM
Congratulations on your new 29'er cdog! Post some pics - that's an awesome boat!
As for the DCB Extreme vs. Howard, it'd be an easy choice for me - I'd go with the Howard all the way. I haven't heard of another vee-bottom that size goes that fast while handling that well. I am surprised to hear they're both in the same price range based on what Javier's boat is going for used. Howard's work is very clean.
Personally I like the 29' Shockwave Magnatude - it's a bigger boat with more freeboard and the ocean is calling (reminds me of a Seinfeld episode with George and the shrimp).

OGShocker
09-22-2004, 06:06 AM
Look for us and throw "a shocker" to OGShocker! We'll be out there this weekend.
Congrat's on the new 29!

Starloans
09-22-2004, 06:24 AM
I have the DCB 28 with the 525. It lives in Havasu and is a visitor of Catalina in the winter. Handles the ocean well. I go with a guy that has a 24 Lavey. I have also ridden in the Lavey to Catalina. His Lavey handles the ocean nearly as well as my 28, just not as fast. :D The driver beats the shit out of the Lavey too. Tough boat. I would buy one. The Lavey takes everything he gives it. They make world class race boats also. I think he has a tall freeboard compared to a lot of other 24s. I have ridden to Catalina in a 24 Ultra. Tough ride in the ocean. Never ridden in the Howard. I see the DCB has a taller freeboard compared to the Howard. I think that will be important in the ocean. Just looking at the two at the 04 boat show I think the DCB may have a wider beam. I haven't checked the mfg on that. Basically, if you want speed the bullet will be the way to go. Less freeboard, narrower. If you travel in the ocean or need more room (mine is the open bow, mid cabin) go with the DCB. I would not go with less than a Merc HP525. maybe a 575. I like low maintance so I stick with "stock" power. I get 80 in the winter on San Diego bay with just me. Plenty fast for an old guy. :sleeping: Good luck.

FastTimmy
09-22-2004, 07:00 AM
I didn't take the time to read the whole thread but Buy the bullet the 28 dcb is a tank...Very well rigged but still a tank. Maybe you could have DCB rig the bullet???

TOBTEK
09-22-2004, 08:04 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/672P0003976-med.JPG
id have to go with this DCB, It has the 12v socket upgrade :messedup: :p :D ...thats a biggie :sqeyes:

cdog
09-22-2004, 08:43 AM
Ok so here's a pic of my boat. Hopefully I will make it this weekend. I'm a little nervious about launching the boat. I have 2 wheel drive Sub and it's just me and my wife so this should be interesting. I did'nt want to cross our pickit line and launch a LHM but the conditions are always better there and less slime on the ramp and cross wind. So far with my old Schiada my wife was useless when launching the boat so we'll see. I'm still chasing down a prop and have to assemble the rest of my exhaust, planning on doing some of that today. What are the odds of a 2 wheel sub pulling my 29 out of the water without sinking the sub? I ordered it with Posi so that should help.

cdog
09-22-2004, 08:47 AM
It's not letting me upload any pic's. It uploads but does not appear on the post?

little rowe boat
09-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Both companies build OUTSTANDING boats! I would suggest driving both before choosing either.
If you go with Howard have Gene give a delivery date in writing . I have heard horror stories from some folks over the years.
Any Howard owners that want to rep' snipe me? Please sign your snipes.
BTW, I hear DCB throws a "better" Regatta!
I own a Howard and I could not agree with these statements more.
Get the delivery date in writting and please ask Gene about the Regatta.

Roxysnow
09-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Ok so here's a pic of my boat. Hopefully I will make it this weekend. I'm a little nervious about launching the boat. I have 2 wheel drive Sub and it's just me and my wife so this should be interesting. I did'nt want to cross our pickit line and launch a LHM but the conditions are always better there and less slime on the ramp and cross wind. So far with my old Schiada my wife was useless when launching the boat so we'll see. I'm still chasing down a prop and have to assemble the rest of my exhaust, planning on doing some of that today. What are the odds of a 2 wheel sub pulling my 29 out of the water without sinking the sub? I ordered it with Posi so that should help.
You shouldn't have any problem pulling the boat out. We have a 30' Sleek and we've pulled it out with our Z71 Tahoe no problems. We didn't need to use the 4x4 mode either.

Roxysnow
09-22-2004, 09:22 AM
How could you go wrong with either boat? Both awsome boats. Engines packages offered are identical unless you go custom. Howard has been around a long time and DCB also makes an outstanding boat. Boy, I feel bad for you! :yuk: Good luck on your choice. Either boat you choose will be a winner!

throwerb
09-22-2004, 09:33 AM
I say buy the bullet

SummerObsession
09-22-2004, 09:44 AM
I agree both are great boats!
The only way to truly decide is to spend some time on both boats. If you are going to the ocean, test them there. Then you will know for sure.
Personally, after having a boat with canopies, I would not want anything else. You can run WOT all day and not feel wiped out at the end of the day!
I would think it would be tough to find a better ridded boat than a DCB, but I haven't seen a Howard up close.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-22-2004, 09:51 AM
I would love to get the HP 525.
We have the 525, bada$$ motor! Only problem is soot buildup on the transom but it's not all that bad now.

Lakeshow
09-22-2004, 09:54 AM
There is a very nice 2002 DCB 28 Extreme in the showroom at DCB. It has a Paul Pfaff Naturally Aspirated/Fuel Injected 700 to go along with the 12V Cigarette Lighter Socket.

HALLETT BOY
09-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Dcb and Howard were my in my top 3 list also , went with a Hallett 270 ! Can't
beat for it for all around great boat...take delivery in about 2 weeks !

No Regrets
09-22-2004, 10:01 AM
Dcb and Howard were my in my top 3 list also , went with a Hallett 270 ! Can't
beat for it for all around great boat...take delivery in about 2 weeks !
Nice choice. :cool:

RiverDave
09-22-2004, 10:02 AM
The numbers (speed) speak for themselves.... buy the Bullet.
I'm not saying anything one way or the other.. ;) I'm just saying that Bre is a girl after my heart. :D They are both very nice boats I'm sure you'll be happy with which ever one you choose. :)
RD

BoatFloating
09-22-2004, 10:17 AM
I'm not saying anything one way or the other.. ;) I'm just saying that Bre is a girl after my heart. :D They are both very nice boats I'm sure you'll be happy with which ever one you choose. :)
RD
Nice middle of the road answer Dave..... Get off the fence... If it was me and if I ever had to own a V again it would be a 28 Bullet period.....

Mandelon
09-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Isn't Lavey coming out with a 29'?? Prolly be in the same price range and would durable as anything for big water.

HavasuDreamin'
09-22-2004, 12:03 PM
Nobody makes a more effiecient hull than howard does!!!!!!!!
Fountain! :2purples:

havalen
09-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Buy the howard.if you can find the write up powerboat did on the bullet you will see its perfect for the salt

Havasu Cig
09-22-2004, 02:54 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of Skater, Outer Limits, Dragon. After all the boat that Fountain set the record with was built by Skater. ;)

BLOWN HOWARD
09-22-2004, 03:57 PM
My 22 Howard Offshore has done many trips to catalina for the ski race. I wouldnt own any other Vee bottom than a howard bottom line!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starloans
09-22-2004, 08:48 PM
I didn't take the time to read the whole thread but Buy the bullet the 28 dcb is a tank...Very well rigged but still a tank. Maybe you could have DCB rig the bullet???
I don't think I would call it a tank. Looks ok with chicks and some white dude sitting beside me. :eek:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/438DCB_RS_107.jpg

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-22-2004, 09:02 PM
Nice middle of the road answer Dave..... Get off the fence... If it was me and if I ever had to own a V again it would be a 28 Bullet period.....
Thats cause your a hater.. LOL!! :D

BLOWN HOWARD
09-22-2004, 09:04 PM
No Hating going on here looks like he is just stating the facts thats all :mix:

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-22-2004, 09:05 PM
No Hating going on here looks like he is just stating the facts thats all :mix:
his facts and my facts.. we are both right IMO..

BLOWN HOWARD
09-22-2004, 09:34 PM
Your pretty funny. By the way how is the boat running what is the top speed you have reached.

roln 20s
09-22-2004, 09:34 PM
Howard. I think the Bullet just looks better.
But ask Roln 20's, he might have an opinion. :mix:
Mandelon, lucky guess, I do have an opinion. If I was buying a cat, its a DCB. If I was buying a vee, which I happen to be, its all about the Howard Bullet. I've riden in KillerVs 28 Bullet at 100mph, just rock solid. The only vee that compares to the Howard...PHOTOGLOU's 120+ mph Fountain, thats pretty nice too :D :) I responding on the other topic as well. Both are made well, I'm not sure if Dave is using balsa wood and stuff std on his, but all Howards are. Not too many builders use 100% balsa- for example, one I know that does, some may have heard of them- Schiada! Both are nice boats, but the magazine awards say it best- howard sportboat of the year 2 of the past 4 years (2001 and 2003). Most high performance vees want to porpoise and/or chine walk, not the Howard. Its been stated over and over, at 20, 40, 70 or over 100--pure performance. I'm buying one and you WILL see it hitting catalina.
Rocky-- you are definately not a hater, definately telling the truth :D
I don't think there is much more to say, just talk to Gene and tell him Roln 20s was talking about his Bullets-I'm sure you will get some good stories (maybe even a discount) just for telling him that.
PM me with any specific questions. I can speak of driving Dr Marg 25 Bullet most of the summer.
Roln 20s

SummerObsession
09-23-2004, 05:26 AM
Yeah, but in order to get a 29' boat, you have to order the 32. :eek: :eek: :D :D

RiverOtter
09-23-2004, 05:35 AM
Yeah, but in order to get a 29' boat, you have to order the 32. :eek: :eek: :D :D
Now that is funny :D

UnionJack
09-23-2004, 05:57 AM
Both are nice boats, but if you want speed go for the howard, but if you want everything else, style, etc go with the DCB, with every boat dave and the crew make they reakky put the Custome in Dave's Custome Boat

little rowe boat
09-23-2004, 10:49 AM
I own a 22 HCB and it handles the big stuff,like many 24's and 25's,so I figure the 28' bullet will probably,hang with the bigger boats in the big water.

Havasu Cig
09-23-2004, 11:44 AM
I own a 22 HCB and it handles the big stuff,like many 24's and 25's,so I figure the 28' bullet will probably,hang with the bigger boats in the big water.
Depends what kind of "bigger boats" and what type of "big water" you are talking about. IMO the 28' bullet is a nice lake boat but I have doubts how it would handle some nasty ocean conditions. ;)

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-23-2004, 05:30 PM
Your pretty funny. By the way how is the boat running what is the top speed you have reached.
sorry just saw this.. so far we really haven't ran it too hard but we have seen 113 and still have a bit of throttle left in her.. :D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
09-23-2004, 05:32 PM
this could be fun

BLOWN HOWARD
09-23-2004, 06:29 PM
What are you guys waitin for let the hammer drop she what she will do. I know you didnt pay all that money to still have some throttle left in her. You gona do some speed runs this winter.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
09-23-2004, 06:32 PM
What are you guys waitin for let the hammer drop she what she will do. I know you didnt pay all that money to still have some throttle left in her. You gona do some speed runs this winter.
the winter is made for CATALINA runs

cc322
09-23-2004, 06:37 PM
Isn't Lavey coming out with a 29'?? Prolly be in the same price range and would durable as anything for big water.
I think Chris said that Lavey is comming out with a 32 footer soon, also thier were alot of 2750 nuera's out at the regatta and them are some sweet deep looking boats, I think money wise you would get the most from Lavey, proven race hull, and they look damn nice in person.

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-23-2004, 06:40 PM
I hope we can do some this winter. thats when she will be at her best..
I think he hasn't really opened it up yet because he is not that use to the boat really and the safety is first with him.. so until he is 100% confy in driving her then it will not be opened up.. :) but I say it is not much longer.. :p

Starloans
09-23-2004, 07:13 PM
this could be fun
Oh yes it could be fun. SYA and Cig have the 411 on Catalina. I've been a few times myself. You can leave and everything is peachy. It can get real shitty real quick out there and 22 feet could get ugly. My 28 tank even looks and feels like a fishing bobber in a storm out there. I will be making some runs this winter. Cola, I think has a 30 Essex can also attest to the conditions in the big pond. Not saying anyone else has never been out but 22-28 feet can be a stretch on anything less than a perfect day no matter the brand.

Havasu Cig
09-24-2004, 08:24 AM
Oh yes it could be fun. SYA and Cig have the 411 on Catalina. I've been a few times myself. You can leave and everything is peachy. It can get real shitty real quick out there and 22 feet could get ugly. My 28 tank even looks and feels like a fishing bobber in a storm out there. I will be making some runs this winter. Cola, I think has a 30 Essex can also attest to the conditions in the big pond. Not saying anyone else has never been out but 22-28 feet can be a stretch on anything less than a perfect day no matter the brand.
Well put SL, I have had days when I had to visit the chiropractor the next day after a hard run. :D :cool:

BLOWN HOWARD
09-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Correct me if I'am wrong, But Howard Boats is the only one who I have found that gives a life time warranty on the hull.
Speaks for it self!!!!!

little rowe boat
09-28-2004, 08:42 PM
So RB. have you made a decision?

Boozer
09-28-2004, 08:44 PM
Will it be as aerodynamic and stylish as their deck boat?
Personally... (My opinion isnt worth much due to the fact of never riding in either boats but I am trying to get my post count up) I would go for the Howard. Read the reviews and look at the numbers. Howard is probably the way I would go (then again I havent ridden in either boat so maybe id go the other way). MY VOTE goes to the howard (Please disregard this vote because I dont know what I'm talking about.)
How'd you like my John Kerry style post??

havalen
09-29-2004, 11:04 AM
POWERBOAT APRIL 2001 HOWARD TESTED IN OCEAN OFF LONG BEACH IN 4 FT WATER
POWERBOAT FEB 2004 DCB TESTED AT MISSION BAY FLAT WATER. WHEN YOU READ BOTH YOU WILL ANSWER THE QUESTION YES I SHOULD BUY THE HOWARD :idea: :idea: :idea:

CEO
09-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Joe, you know what I think!!

Havasu_Dreamin
09-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Soemthing else to maybe consider is Streamline. I believe they are made in Phoenix and while I have never seen one up close I do know that they have some deal with DCB where they use the DCB 28 Exreme bottom but with a different deck, I think. I believe that HB did an article about it a few months back.

riverbum
09-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Thanks for all the posts, I appreciate all the info. I have personally driven a DCB 28 extreme, took a test ride with Gene from Howard in a 25 ft on Saturday, very impressed with both.. I have yet to ride in a 28 Bullet. Gene is working on that. Several have mentioned the Lavey 2750, I will be riding in one on Saturday. Looks a decision is a few weeks away.

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Thanks for all the posts, I appreciate all the info. I have personally driven a DCB 28 extreme, took a test ride with Gene from Howard in a 25 ft on Saturday, very impressed with both.. I have yet to ride in a 28 Bullet. Gene is working on that. Several have mentioned the Lavey 2750, I will be riding in one on Saturday. Looks a decision is a few weeks away.
just make sure you make the right one.. they are alot of money and anyone you choose should be your own choice.. good luck and happy safe boating with what ever you decide. :D

riverbum
09-29-2004, 07:51 PM
It is a tough decision. We boat mainly in Parker or Havasu. We have never boated on the ocean.

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-29-2004, 07:52 PM
It is a tough decision. We boat mainly in Parker or Havasu. We have never boated on the ocean.
we use to boat in the ocean, but not with anything other then a bayliner for fishing. :wink:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
09-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Well put SL, I have had days when I had to visit the chiropractor the next day after a hard run. :D :cool:
you got that right I have left catalina at 5PM comming back like a dumazz and had waves coming over the bow, that deep-vee did its job. I think the DCB and Howard are both nice boats, but for the ocean the taller the better but for speed the Howard is by far faster

phebus
09-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Whichever you go with, go with the most power you can afford. You'll never regret it.

roln 20s
09-29-2004, 09:05 PM
If you like the 25, just wait until you ride in the 28. That extra feet does make a difference IMO. Tell Gene that Patrick said to hook you up with a ride with Jimmy--after that might as well bring the order form to the test...one word--SOLD. If you are in Havasu, call me and I'll give you a buddy's number that has a 28 bullet open bow with the HP500- he'll give you a ride and talk up his boat anyday.
I personally like the Lavey 2750, but there have been numerous things around here about "chine walk" and problem handling- I believe even ***boat mentioned it.
Its a big decision, and whatever decision you do make--remember, it was the RIGHT one. To each his own, and whatever works for you was the best decision.
Roln 20s <--voting for the Howard

Goodtime$
09-29-2004, 10:29 PM
my 2 cents is worth 2 pesos. Isnt DCB building an FX for ocean racing? so that is some comfort in the design. I am not sure how the the Howard runs in big water, but im sure its pleasant.
Hot boat may have not liked the Lavey 2750, but that thing hauls ass in the big water, its a nicely crafted V in the size range to consider definately.

havalen
09-29-2004, 11:45 PM
:redface: :redface: :redface: We wont tell anyone that you ordered a bullet before you got your new boat .syi helped you get rid of your other boat now tell the truth you wanted the bullet.you never rode in the bullet so you cant say it wont handle the ocean.dont just look at the howard and say it wont handle big water take a ride and you wont be sorry

riverbum
09-30-2004, 08:51 PM
I have 2 rides scheduled, a Lavey 2750 this saturday and a Howard 28 Bullet in about a week. I want to be sure.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-04-2004, 06:05 PM
:redface: :redface: :redface: We wont tell anyone that you ordered a bullet before you got your new boat .syi helped you get rid of your other boat now tell the truth you wanted the bullet.you never rode in the bullet so you cant say it wont handle the ocean.dont just look at the howard and say it wont handle big water take a ride and you wont be sorry
come on Len, you must be getting old you took me for a ride in the 28 Bulllet. I never said the Bullet cant handle the ocean, I said the taller boat the better and the Bullet was by far the faster boat. Hay len turn on your PM feature so I can send you messages

havalen
10-04-2004, 06:33 PM
OH SHEIT MEL I GUESS LIVING IN HAVASU HAS MADE MY BRAIN RELAX WILL YOU FORGIVE ME :hammerhea :hammerhea

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-04-2004, 06:35 PM
OH SHEIT MEL I GUESS LIVING IN HAVASU HAS MADE MY BRAIN RELAX WILL YOU FORGIVE ME :hammerhea :hammerhea
see you better leave those young girls alone

havalen
10-04-2004, 06:38 PM
HOW DO U DO THE E MAIL THING :mad:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-04-2004, 06:51 PM
HOW DO U DO THE E MAIL THING :mad:
go to USER CP, then go to EDIT OPTIONS, then MESSANGING AND NOTIFCATIONS, make sure the box for RECEIVING PRIVATE MESSAGES is checked
if you need more help call me or i will call you

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-04-2004, 10:59 PM
Did It Work

Kilrtoy
10-04-2004, 11:16 PM
my 2 cents is worth 2 pesos. Isnt DCB building an FX for ocean racing? so that is some comfort in the design. I am not sure how the the Howard runs in big water, but im sure its pleasant.
Hot boat may have not liked the Lavey 2750, but that thing hauls ass in the big water, its a nicely crafted V in the size range to consider definately.
WHAT, HOT BOAT didnt like a boat, what tree was I sleeping under to miss this one....
Not knocking Howard, but I think they are a little to low pro for the big blue....

riverbum
10-16-2004, 08:31 PM
:rollside: Riverbum did you get to ride in the 27 levey and 28 Howard and if so how did it go and have you made up your mined.
I went on a test ride in a Lavey 2750 with a 496 ho last weekend. The boat handled the rough water nicely and was a nice ride. I can understand the comments made in Hot Boat regarding the boat letting you know if it is not trimmed correctly. It requires a lot of driver input. I was to go in a DCB 28 extreme on Monday, but the boat sold. I am still looking for a DCB owner to take me for a test drive. Anyone offer? I am hoping to ride in a Howard 28 Bullet this week if all works out as planned.

roln 20s
10-23-2004, 10:40 PM
Riverbum--did you ride in the Howard last week. I talked to Gene briefly and knew he a had a couple of test rides set up--were you one of the lucky ones? What were your thoughts?
Roln 20s

riverbum
10-24-2004, 06:37 PM
I want to thank everyone for all your posts. It was a difficult decision. Weighing all factors, DCB had all the characteristics I was looking for in a new boat: Rigging, interior upholstery, gel coat, overall performance, with plenty of freeboard. I was looking for a large boat feel, and the DCB 28 extreme fits the ticket.
I had the opportunity to ride in a Howard 25 and 28 bullets. Gene took us in both rides. Exceptional rides. Very nice boats, I prefer a boat with a higher freeboard.

WILD LAVEY
10-24-2004, 06:48 PM
DCB's are nice boats. good luck with your new toy.

mbrown2
10-25-2004, 07:58 PM
I want to thank everyone for all your posts. It was a difficult decision. Weighing all factors, DCB had all the characteristics I was looking for in a new boat: Rigging, interior upholstery, gel coat, overall performance, with plenty of freeboard. I was looking for a large boat feel, and the DCB 28 extreme fits the ticket.
I had the opportunity to ride in a Howard 25 and 28 bullets. Gene took us in both rides. Exceptional rides. Very nice boats, I prefer a boat with a higher freeboard.
Great to hear...that would be a tough choice, but Dave and all of the riggers and crew down there; even Carlos :D are great and will build you the boat of your dreams.

riverbum
10-26-2004, 06:57 AM
:cool:
Well it looks like you have made your decision, Best of luck. By the way what engine and drive did the Howard and DCB have and how much more free board did the DCB have. :cool:
Both the DCB and Howard had the Bravo 1 XR drive and the Mercruiser HP 525 EFI. The freeboard is 42 on DCB vs 40 on Howard. The DCB looks and feels like a larger boat.
My boat will be done early next year. I ordered the XR drive and 525 HP.
Yes, Dave and his crew build a NICE boat

BLOWN HOWARD
12-18-2004, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=Speedman]:boxingguy
DCB 28 Ex. 575HP does a 77 mph. Hot Boat mag.
Howard 28 Bullet 525HP does a 80 mph. Power Boat mag.
Speaks for it self on this one and i think maybe Dave even slipped Hot Boat Mag a little something on the side to add a couple of Digits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

bunny 166
12-18-2004, 04:40 PM
There you go again, They are both equal boats, BH

BLOWN HOWARD
12-18-2004, 04:43 PM
Hey i have never said nothing bad about the DCB they are a very nice boat!!!!! I am just saying if it were up to me i would go with the more efficeint hull. Thats all just my opinion

Havasu Hangin'
12-18-2004, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't look at speed numbers alone.
You can make a bottom faster by adding less deadrise, or making a bigger pad or step (more lift)...but it may sacrafice handling and/or rough water capability.
It's all about tradeoff, and really depends on what you are using it for.
If I was spending that kind of money...I'd fly both before I put a deposit down.

BLOWN HOWARD
12-18-2004, 04:48 PM
It's all about tradeoff, and really depends on what you are using it for.
If I was spending that kind of money...I'd fly both before I put a deposit down.[/QUOTE]
Your definetly right you def need to try both but from what i have heard about the bullet the bottom sounds like they got it worked out pretty good not only speed but feeling safe at the high speed. Does anybody know were DCB got there bottom from or is it an orginal they came up with. I believe the bullet evolved from the 22 offshore!!!

bunny 166
12-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Do you honestly think bunny 166 knows anything about this stuff?? I have a house guest posing as me....... :D :D

BLOWN HOWARD
12-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Show who the house guest is???? Pic

bunny 166
12-18-2004, 04:56 PM
gimmee a sec--gotta load it into the image center... :boxingguy :D :D

bunny 166
12-18-2004, 05:02 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2066IMG_0501.JPG

Phat Matt
I hope it's not that Kilr guy. :hammerhea

BLOWN HOWARD
I bet before i even see a pic that KILRTOY is hangin at your house right now, he is a total give away on the keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats up KILR

BLOWN HOWARD
12-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Knew it hey Kilr i was down at DCB the other day and was gonna stop and take some photos of that DCB you were looking at but didnt have time sorry. But just wanted you to know i was thinking of you!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Kilrtoy
12-18-2004, 05:08 PM
I would never buy a boat that has three letters for a name,http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/tosser.gif That was for someone else.
Im at home, I wish I was at bunnys househousehttp://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Havasu Hangin'
12-18-2004, 05:15 PM
But how do Kilr's nails look? :hammerhea

CJ
12-19-2004, 01:10 AM
I wish my 28 Eagle with the 525 was out of break-in. I would go WOT and give you my stats. Gonna be a few months considering I have less than two hours on it.
Anyone know how fast it should go? I was guessing late 70's.

boatnam2
12-19-2004, 07:37 PM
i have a 27 lad im not using if anyone needs one.

CJ
12-19-2004, 11:00 PM
It would be my guess :idea: if you were runny a 26" lab and tapping that rev. at 5350rpm witch it should ,You would be 70 to 72 and with a 27" lab and still should hit the rev. 73 to 75. What prop are you running ? The numbres should be close By going back to all the test that I read in the last 4 to 5 years The 2005 28 Bullet open bow with a 525 merc. hit the rev. and using a 27" lab got 80.8 mph. It would be hard to hit those numbers. Hurry up :sleeping: 8 more break in hours to go. Be safe and goog luck.
Just running the stock Bravo 26p. Not really interested in top speed tho. Just curious. Just want to cruise comfortably at better then 55-60 (Top speed of my old Commander. I will have no problem doing that considering at 4000rpm I was running 55 on my GPS.
You say 8 more hours. I was told I could hit WOT a bit here and there during the second 10 hours but not to run it full out for 20 hrs.

Kilrtoy
12-19-2004, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE=BLOWN HOWARD][QUOTE=Speedman]:boxingguy
DCB 28 Ex. 575HP does a 77 mph. Hot Boat mag.
Howard 28 Bullet 525HP does a 80 mph. Power Boat mag.
Speaks for it self on this one and i think maybe Dave even slipped Hot Boat Mag a little something on the side to add a couple of Digits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:[/QUOTE
(1.)What do mean on this one I think Howard has had nothing to hide in the last in the 4 and half years that I have seen. I have been Following there 28 bullet and amoung other 28s as well for a long time. (2.) And I would hope that the DCBs 28 would do at least what was said and with out help because if it did'nt I would not be a very happy boat owner if I bought it and did not do what was listed. And that go's for any other boat builders as well. I would have thought that the DCB 28 should have run at least 83 to 85 with that power plant. :jawdrop:
Not true, two different mags conducted the test using different equipment water temps, weather (WIND) fuel on board , boat laid up light , etc..... propped for overall Vs top end..... wayto many variables and of course we all know how they tweak and tune the motors for those special test runs....
Like in cars how two different mags test the same car and come up almost a full second different on times.....

BoatFloating
12-20-2004, 07:06 AM
I'll sum this up for you. The Howard 28 Bullet will walk all over the 28 DCB hands down. The DCB is a nice boat but the Howard is a better bottom for speed and handling period..... Same power the Howard will win ever time in speed and over all rough water handling.... IMHO...
Ricky :messedup:

THOR
12-20-2004, 07:48 AM
It would be my guess :idea: if you were runny a 26" lab and tapping that rev. at 5350rpm witch it should ,You would be 70 to 72 and with a 27" lab and still should hit the rev. 73 to 75. What prop are you running ? The numbres should be close By going back to all the test that I read in the last 4 to 5 years The 2005 28 Bullet open bow with a 525 merc. hit the rev. and using a 27" lab got 80.8 mph. It would be hard to hit those numbers. Hurry up :sleeping: 8 more break in hours to go. Be safe and goog luck.
Those equations are helpful, but not 100% accurate. They can be way off if the boat weight, hull type, x dimension, etc are not considered. My boat is a living example of a faulty prop calculation.

Kilrtoy
12-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Do not know anything about that article, what motor is in that boat you are speaking of,
Oh I did look on Powerboat magazine .com and the DCB28 Extreme, beat out the Howard for sport boat of the year.....

plaster dave
12-21-2004, 09:39 PM
their both great boats and eveyone has their opion so it's not going to be solved on this forum. With that said I OWN A HOWARDbut I did test drive a howard and dcb but they were both cats so sorry. :jawdrop: :D

BoatFloating
12-21-2004, 09:58 PM
Do not know anything about that article, what motor is in that boat you are speaking of,
Oh I did look on Powerboat magazine .com and the DCB28 Extreme, beat out the Howard for sport boat of the year.....
I see the DCB folk have you brain washed. Step away from the crack pipe. Just because the DCB cult tells you they're the best boats period there are a few that are better and the Howard Bullet is one.
From Powerboat
2004 Outstanding Sport Boat Performance:HOWARD 25 BULLET
2004 Sport Boat of the Year:DCB FX-28 EXTREME
2003 Sport Boat of the Year: HOWARD 28 BULLET
2001 Sport Boat of the Year: HOWARD 28 BULLET
If you want a 28 Extreme for half the price for the same boat go buy a Streamline. It's the DCB 28' that DCB sold to them.
This must be how you do your reseach....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/16161617AKillerLakerFan.jpg
:jawdrop: :shift:

THOR
12-21-2004, 09:59 PM
What is your example and what boat do you have
I have an Ultra 247 w/ a 496 HO and my hull weighs a very light 3200 lbs. I am running a 26.5 labbed 4-blade that has some cup taken out as well. This boat has a double step bottom. With about 10 gallons of fuel and little gear I ran 78 mph on the GPS. My point is, hull weight, configuration, prop work, etc is not considered and people are relying heavily on this equation that is good in a general sense, but is very limited.

mbrown2
12-21-2004, 10:22 PM
I'll sum this up for you. The Howard 28 Bullet will walk all over the 28 DCB hands down. The DCB is a nice boat but the Howard is a better bottom for speed and handling period..... Same power the Howard will win ever time in speed and over all rough water handling.... IMHO...
Hmmmm...me and Rocky agree...I must have picked some Strawberry's along the way somewhere... :)
As a very staunch and supportive DCB owner, If I were buying a 28 V, it would be the Howard....It is faster....you never will have the same conditions or same boats, but with like for like power, it beats other 28's time and time again... :idea:
Now cats on the other hand....just look below.. :boxed:

Kilrtoy
12-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Ricky , its better to sleep like this
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/16161617AKillerLakerFan.jpg
THAN THIS, Does fred know your out of bed.... you better hurry back
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38Rockycuddle_copy.jpg

BoatFloating
12-22-2004, 07:56 AM
Once again the only ammo you have. Seems like you like to pass out all over the place. Does Wally Gator know your cheating on him????? Should I call you Dr Doolittle. Once again ask Santa for a bigger package for Christmas or at least some smaller undies.... :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/16161617KT_attck_by_animals_2-med.jpg

Havasu Hangin'
12-22-2004, 08:02 AM
Kilr...don't mess with Goatblowing. It's obvious he's owned both boats for many, many years, and driven them in all kinds of conditions. His seat time in both (with similar power) is second to none. :notam:
In fact, I heard he sold his Howard and bought his Aftershock because the Howard did not catch on fire on a regular basis.

BoatFloating
12-22-2004, 08:12 AM
Kilr...don't mess with Goatblowing. It's obvious he's owned both boats for many, many years, and driven them in all kinds of conditions. His seat time in both (with similar power) is second to none. :notam:
In fact, I heard he sold his Howard and bought his Aftershock because the Howard did not catch on fire on a regular basis.
Pipe down Mister....... Unlike the other Koolaide drinkers here, magazine test like Hot Boat and Powerboat are all feel good stories. I've been in the Howard 28 Bullet since my good friend (Killer V) owns the one that won Boat of the year in 2003. It has the Brumett twin turbo in it and I doubt any 28 DCB would keep up with him. Well maybe Joey when the Bullet was towing him in.
:hammer2:

Havasu Hangin'
12-22-2004, 08:23 AM
Pipe down Mister....... Unlike the other Koolaide drinkers here, magazine test like Hot Boat and Powerboat are all feel good stories.
..the one that won Boat of the year in 2003.
For a guy that discounts the mags, you sure seem to keep bringing up awards. :confused:
So I guess the "my friend has a Howard" is the new criteria for telling people that "the DCB sucks". Man, this sets a whole new standard for boat evaluations... :hammer2:
What's next..."my dad can beat up your dad (even though I've never seen your dad)"?

mbrown2
12-22-2004, 08:33 AM
So I guess the "my friend has a Howard" is the new criteria for telling people that "the DCB sucks". Man, this sets a whole new standard for boat evaluations... :hammer2:
LMAO... :)

IN2MX
12-22-2004, 08:43 AM
Get your popcorn!!!!! :argue:

BoatFloating
12-22-2004, 07:02 PM
For a guy that discounts the mags, you sure seem to keep bringing up awards. :confused:
What's next..."my dad can beat up your dad (even though I've never seen your dad)"?
I'm your daddy..... Let me get this straight you are giving DCB props.... You must be expecting a good present from Santa because your being awful nice.
:hammerhea
I didn't say DCB sucks. What you trying to get me Lynched with the cult. I just said the 28 Howard is better than 28 DCB. Evena DCB owner Mbrown agreed with me. So pipe down Tuna boy..... :cool:

Kilrtoy
12-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Oh yeah RICKY,
well my babies momma's, 2nd auntie's, cousin's, sister, next door neighbor, in the 909 told me, that if you, have twin outboards and paint them to match your boat, it slows your boat down.......
is this true, I cant find this in either Hot boat or power boat, i havent tried family boating yet :idea:
:D :D :D :D :D :D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-22-2004, 07:40 PM
boy I just made me a fresh jack & coke

Kilrtoy
12-22-2004, 07:47 PM
make me one, this is gonna be a long night

roln 20s
12-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Well, since I know Mike, the son of Gene, who owns Howard and I PIMP Howard more than ex girlfriends---I think this allows me to say "Howard Bullets are the Best." Oh yeah, I have riden in them too, does that count at all?
MBrown, Speedman and Rocky all know whats going on--the Bullet is the Vee bottom to own. Kilr--we have discussed this before, you know the first step is just admitting you want one :)
Roln 20s <-- its been awhile since I have been here, you all crack me up! This thread has become tonight's bedtime story!

Kilrtoy
12-22-2004, 10:32 PM
First and Foremost, I have never and will never own a howard, or desired to own a howard. The utter lack of business skills is more over whelming than the product. Is howard a good boat at the top of the food chain, no arguement from me. But when i am considering spending my hard earned money on anything, there must be a degree of professionalism. HOWARD HAS NONE....

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-22-2004, 10:36 PM
this is going to be good

roln 20s
12-22-2004, 10:44 PM
First and Foremost, I have never and will never own a howard, or desired to own a howard. The utter lack of business skills is more over whelming than the product. Is howard a good boat at the top of the food chain, no arguement from me. But when i am considering spending my hard earned money on anything, there must be a degree of professionalism. HOWARD HAS NONE....
LMAO--Just giving you a hard time; I knew that was coming. I believe you have told me that word for word a couple times...just making sure nothing changed! I know how you feel, and respect that. But I am impressed by your "top of the food chain" statement, thats good stuff. Kilrtoy- you have always been first class and honest, I love that...and the Mrs-hehe :D :)
Roln 20s

Havasu Hangin'
12-23-2004, 06:37 AM
I just said the 28 Howard is better than 28 DCB.
So I guess you drove "your buddy's" Howard for a couple seasons, in all types of weather and water conditions...then swithed that exact motor into a 28' DCB, and proceeded to drive the DCB for a couple seasons in all types of weather and speed conditions? :messedup:
Man...and all this time I thought you were on your own boat (putting out fires). :sqeyes:
In my opinion, I think it's rediculous to say one is better than the other, unless you've owned both with similar power to what the guy is looking for.
I've spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel of a DCB, and I can offer my opinion on the good and the bad, but I have no right to compare it to a Howard.
So stick to what you know, pizzaface. :notam:
:D

BoatFloating
12-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Well if that's you criteria for owning your next boat then I would say you've narrowed it down to a short list. Hell I had issues with Cult boats owner. It happens at every boat MFG. Mike at Howard will admit his dad should stay in the back sometimes but that doesn't change the fact they make a good boat.
In my opinion, I think it's rediculous to say one is better than the other, unless you've owned both with similar power to what the guy is looking for.
Uh HELLO!!! That's why I said in my opinion. And now you gave me yours.... IMO when I rode in that 28 Howard in different conditions I was trully amazed as it handled like a cat thru some nasty water. I've had an Extreme owner tell me that he wasn't happy with some of the power to speed ratio and some of the handling at the upper speeds.
I've spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel of a DCB, and I can offer my opinion on the good and the bad, but I have no right to compare it to a Howard.
Have you been in the Howard??? If not your in the same position I'm in..... So if someone comes in here and wants opinions on a couple different boats only a person that can offer an opinion is a person that owned both of the boats in question. Looks like the threads will be pretty short..... :supp: So give us your opinions on the the Tug and the Cig then....:sleeping:
I'll say it one last time...IMHO. You compare Apples to Apples the Howard would walk away from the DCB. Now the bells and whistles that's up to the buyers own tasts. Like the thread starter said he went with the DCB for the higher freeboard and that's his choice. My point is only on performance..... IMHO....
So stick with what you do best quoting people and busting balls.... ;)
Goose and Red Bull please....

Havasu Hangin'
12-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Uh HELLO!!!
OK, Pizzaface...I'll make this simple for you. Other than hearsay, how do you know which boat is better?
Any first hand experience to back this up, Team Pepperoni? (not "a friend" or "a guy I talked to"...) :idea:
I can see it now. The new Powerboat tests...did they actually test the boats? Nope...they heard "from a guy" whose friend rode in one that it is a better boat. :messedup:
So stick to what you know, which is probably limited to the best way to fill the gas tanks from the bilge. :supp:
:D

Kilrtoy
12-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Well if that's you criteria for owning your next boat then I would say you've narrowed it down to a short list. Hell I had issues with Cult boats owner. It happens at every boat MFG. Mike at Howard will admit his dad should stay in the back sometimes but that doesn't change the fact they make a good boat.
I have , Im gonna leach off of you, its cheaper that way and I dont have to deal with grumpy company owners

Starloans
12-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Uh HELLO!!! That's why I said in my opinion. And now you gave me yours.... IMO when I rode in that 28 Howard in different conditions I was trully amazed as it handled like a cat thru some nasty water. I've had an Extreme owner tell me that he wasn't happy with some of the power to speed ratio and some of the handling at the upper speeds.
Have you been in the Howard??? If not your in the same position I'm in..... So if someone comes in here and wants opinions on a couple different boats only a person that can offer an opinion is a person that owned both of the boats in question. Looks like the threads will be pretty short..... :supp: So give us your opinions on the the Tug and the Cig then....:sleeping:
I'll say it one last time...IMHO. You compare Apples to Apples the Howard would walk away from the DCB. Now the bells and whistles that's up to the buyers own tasts. Like the thread starter said he went with the DCB for the higher freeboard and that's his choice. My point is only on performance..... IMHO....
So stick with what you do best quoting people and busting balls.... ;)
Goose and Red Bull please....
BoatSinking..... you have too much coffee this am? Or still hammered from last night?
I own a 28 Extreme but I have never even seen but one howard much less rode in it. But I do read ***boat and Powerboat and that makes me an expert!!! :D :D :D
I can't believe you guys are still beating this horse. It's whatever you like. Just buy it for Christ's sake. They are both good boats.

Havasu Hangin'
12-23-2004, 06:05 PM
OK...now I'm confused. :confused:
Are we now believing the magazines? :notam:

Kilrtoy
12-23-2004, 06:07 PM
DCB =
Hot Boat Mag. Jan.2005 Page 53 fifth line from bottom last par. Starts there
HP575SC SC
Sportsmaster Drive
30" Lab
77.6 mph @ 5000 rpm radar
00.0 mph @ 5000 rpm GPS NA
It also states this combination Packs a solid 80mph
Stating and doing WORLDS APART
HOWARD
Power Boat Mag. Jan.2005 Page 91 Right side of page Lines 15,18,19,50 & 51
HP525EFI EFI
Stanard XR Drive
27" Lab
80.0 mph @ 5300 rpm radar
80.8 mph @ 5300 rpm GPS
NO STATEMENTS just geten her done.
I hope this answers your questions and to square up any other questions if they should pop up and come to mined. 1.) YES I have been in many V bottom boats in the last 5 years. 2.) owened 3 sence 1983, test ran many others. Top two were Howard and DCB. 3.) Last but not least I now own a 2005 28 Bullet. Yes it took me about 5 years of reading & testing and reading & testing. I"M DONE I got what I fell is the best. And was able to see it happen from start to finsh my way. and what really topped it off was the LIFE TIME WARRANTY That little STATEMENT speaks for it self.
For great customer service and the net loss of 2.4MPH (ACCORDING TO TWO DIFFERENT MAGS), I will spend all of MY HARD EARNED MONEY in a place that appreciates its customers and even people that are not their customers, DCB

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-23-2004, 06:17 PM
For great customer service and the net loss of 2.4MPH (ACCORDING TO TWO DIFFERENT MAGS), I will spend all of MY HARD EARNED MONEY in a place that appreciates its customers and even people that are not their customers, DCB
boy this is going to be good, let me see 2.4 mph but its a DCB 575SC Vs HOWARD 525EFI and the lesser horsepower is faster mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-23-2004, 06:18 PM
not that anyone saw me at Howard :2purples:

Havasu Hangin'
12-23-2004, 06:22 PM
boy this is going to be good, let me see 2.4 mph but its a DCB 575SC Vs HOWARD 525EFI and the lesser horsepower is faster mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Isn't the rev limiter is at 5,200 RPMs on the 525? :confused:
Hmmmmm..... :idea:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-23-2004, 06:24 PM
that may be ture but look at the cash savings between the 525 and 575 :confused: so if I read this right if the DCB had the 525 it would be even slower

Havasu Hangin'
12-23-2004, 06:28 PM
that may be ture but look at the cash savings between the 525 and 575 :confused: so if I read this right if the DCB had the 525 it would be even slower
My point is...perhaps a DCB would perform the same with the same (not so stock) 525? :idea:
If they lied...it's not apples to apples. :jawdrop:

Kilrtoy
12-23-2004, 06:33 PM
HEY SPEEDMAN
Im gonna compare APPLES TO APPLES
here is some stats for you
Howard HP500
0-30=8.45
0-40=11.23
0-50=13.93
0-60=16.32
top speed 74
DCB HP500
0-30=7.88
0-40=10.26
0-50=13.51
0-60=16.74
Top speed 75
No with that said
lets look at the two engines, The 575 is is 550 horsepower
the 525 is 525.
now it has been said by many (MOTOR)people that the 525 is actually pumping out 550 HP...
I have seen test by by other mags comparing the same item and they have come out vastly different.....

THOR
12-23-2004, 06:49 PM
HEY SPEEDMAN
Howard HP500
0-30=8.45
0-40=11.23
0-50=13.93
0-60=16.32
top speed 74
DCB HP500
0-30=7.88
0-40=10.26
0-50=13.51
0-60=16.74
Top speed 75
Now that sounds pretty equal to me. I would still buy the Howard though. I know that HH has driven a 28 DCB with a big motor in it. He would know.

THOR
12-23-2004, 07:26 PM
HEY SPEEDMAN
Howard HP500
0-30=8.45
0-40=11.23
0-50=13.93
0-60=16.32
top speed 74
DCB HP500
0-30=7.88
0-40=10.26
0-50=13.51
0-60=16.74
Top speed 75
No with that said
the 525 is 525.
now it has been said by many (MOTOR)people that the 525 is actually pumping out 550 HP...
I have seen test by by other mags comparing the same item and they have come out vastly different.....
Shouldnt you be watching your Bruins kick a little a$$ right now?

Kilrtoy
12-23-2004, 09:37 PM
I would buy NEITHER, but if I had to I would spend the money for the 575 add a super chiller and chip it, drop a new pully and you have 750 horsepower turn key blower motor.......
There is a reason that the 525 replaced the 500 and the 575

Havasu Hangin'
12-23-2004, 10:00 PM
...I would spend the money for the 575 add a super chiller and chip it, drop a new pully and you have 750 horsepower turn key blower motor.......
For that much money...you could probably have a GT 1000 EFI. That Merc stuff is EXPENSIVE.

Kilrtoy
12-23-2004, 10:04 PM
For that much money...you could probably have a GT 1000 EFI. That Merc stuff is EXPENSIVE.
Jeff like I said TURN KEY, Reliable.........
but I wouldnt buy either, I :) would buy something else....

Havasu Hangin'
12-23-2004, 10:16 PM
...like I said TURN KEY, Reliable..
I'd say it's a myth that Mercury Racing is more reliable than the good builders. I know lots of people that have had problems with Merc...the only benefit is a larger dealer network, so the stuff usually get fixed faster.
$/HP...Merc is very expensive. Keep in mind that Mercury Racing is not Mercruiser- they are a specialty builder just like GT, Phaff, Teague, etc., and they use pretty much the same internal parts.
Those GT EFI motors a very turn-key. However, my carb blower motors also make power, but they do sometimes require a "soft touch"...
...like most women I know. :notam:

Kilrtoy
12-23-2004, 10:23 PM
I'd say it's a myth that Mercury Racing is more reliable than the good builders. I know lots of people that have had problems with Merc...the only benefit is a larger dealer network, so the stuff usually get fixed faster.
$/HP...Merc is very expensive. Keep in mind that Mercury Racing is not Mercruiser- they are a specialty builder just like GT, Phaff, Teague, etc., and they use pretty much the same internal parts.
Those GT EFI motors a very turn-key. However, my carb blower motors also make power, but they do sometimes require a "soft touch"...
...like most women I know. :notam:
I was falling for your story til the last line, Gotta treat them ruff, let them know who the boss is, Oh shit, gotta go the misses is coming :supp:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-24-2004, 08:21 AM
I was falling for your story til the last line, Gotta treat them ruff, let them know who the boss is, Oh shit, gotta go the misses is coming :supp:
now now you mean the boss

BoatFloating
12-24-2004, 10:16 AM
HEY SPEEDMAN
No with that said
the 525 is 525.
You sleeping again. The 525 is 525 HP the 575 is 570. So that's a 50 HP difference not 25 as you were trying to say. I'm sure the 575 is pumping out a few more ponies than advertised also. You have no way of knowing since they're both not dyno'd.
BoatSinking..... you have too much coffee this am? Or still hammered from last night?
I own a 28 Extreme but I have never even seen but one howard much less rode in it. But I do read ***boat and Powerboat and that makes me an expert!!! :D :D :D
I can't believe you guys are still beating this horse. It's whatever you like. Just buy it for Christ's sake. They are both good boats.
I knew a Cult member would come in here and defend them. That's fine and if you read my post that you quoted it said in my opinion about performance and somebody has to make a choice on a number of things including what you like. My opinion is just that my opinion and I don't read the magazines I just look at the pictures. :shift: So to clear all this up for the last time to put the horse to bed. If I was looking to buy a V bottom in the 28' range I'd buy the Howard....IMHO

Keith E. Sayre
12-24-2004, 08:03 PM
The 525's and 575' from Merc Racing ARE in fact dynoed. Everyone of them
goes through a 56 minute session, then they run them for 4 minutes wide open with a load. Then they change all the fluids readjust pulleys, belts,
valves and ship them. So when you get it -- it's broken in and rarin to go.
To clear up any confusion about horsepower ratings-remember that Merc
always rates them at the prop which creates a lower number by about 30
which helps our insurance rates. The 525 hp rating is 500 at the prop,
the 575 is rated at 550 at the prop. They're both way conservative if you
ask me. You see, the Conquest deckboat goes about 6 mph faster with a
525 over a 470 hp HP500EFI, then it goes another 6 or 7 mph faster with the 575. If you use the widely accepted theory that it take a cat style boat
about 15 to 25 hp to go an extra mph we would see numbers like 2 or 3 mph
faster for each engine upgrade listed above. Merc is smart, they keep the
numbers conservative so that the insurance companies don't freak out, so
we can now afford their products. Let's face it, if the boat insurance
companies went ballistic on these engines, noone could buy them.
One more comment, concerning how expensive Merc is. I tend to disagree.
I can sell you a certain deckboat with a 525 in it right now for $105,000
and it will run about 76 to 78 mph.
That same boat with a 575 in it will cost about $114,000 and it'll run about
83 or 84 mph.
That same boat with about 600 to 650 hp from Teague, Pfaff, Bob Teague, Norm Grimes, Gary Kincaid or Carson Brummett will be about $25,000 (minimum) by the time that we install it, put headers on it, ss tailpipes,
and hit up Fred Inman for the appropriate drive and gimbal,it'll go over $120,000 and if it goes 1 mph faster than the 575 Merc will go, I'll be
very surprised if not shocked.
Someone else mentioned the innercooled 575 package with EFI mods to the
chip and pulleys etc, I'm hearing 725 to 750 turnkey hp with that package.
Very reliable and still EFI on 92 octance which puts the price about $117,000
and will run an honest 90 to 91 mph any day. OR putting a whipple onto a
HP525 will produce similar speed numbers with the money at about 113,000?
That's why I don't see Merc as being too expensive. Granted, it would be
hard to argue that the above mentioned builders don't use better parts
I'm certain that they do, but you're paying for it. That's a tough one to call.
As for Howard and DCB--let's face it--2 of the very best out there. We're
spoiled!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Havasu Hangin'
12-24-2004, 08:29 PM
One more comment, concerning how expensive Merc is. I tend to disagree.
I can sell you a certain deckboat with a 525 in it right now for $105,000
and it will run about 76 to 78 mph.
That same boat with a 575 in it will cost about $114,000 and it'll run about
83 or 84 mph.
That same boat with about 600 to 650 hp from Teague, Pfaff, Bob Teague, Norm Grimes, Gary Kincaid or Carson Brummett will be about $25,000 (minimum) by the time that we install it, put headers on it, ss tailpipes,
and hit up Fred Inman for the appropriate drive and gimbal,it'll go over $120,000 and if it goes 1 mph faster than the 575 Merc will go, I'll be
very surprised if not shocked.
Well, I don't know much...
...but I do know someone who put a Teague 650 in his DCB for about the same as the HP500 (100 more HP and a couple MPH).
I also know someone that put a Teague 800 in his boat for about the same price as a 575SCI. (200 more HP and more than a couple MPH).
I know that Merc wants $90K for the 900SC. For $90K, I'm sure Gary could have you in a 1,400HP (or so).
I'll bet $1 that Bling got his motors cheaper than the Merc 1075 (I think Merc wants $130K) and they probably make a little more HP.
I guess it just depends on what the builders are pushing the customers towards...

Keith E. Sayre
12-24-2004, 08:36 PM
Points well taken Havasu Hangin. They (manf's) must be jacking the numbers on the Mercs more than we do at Conquest if they're about even. OR someone is getting a good deal on
the custom builders? Hard to say. Crazy numbers on those 900's and 1075's
from Merc too!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Starloans
12-24-2004, 10:10 PM
My 525 owners manual, page 36, bottom of the page, note #2 says 5400 is the rev limiter. :D Operating range is 4800-5200.
There is something wrong with that article on the DCB 28 boys and girls. The DCB website states the standard top and FX 28 both weigh 4950. The mag article says the test boat weighs 5850, 575 power, and 78MPH. Something is amiss.
I have a bone stock, 525, standard top 28 Extreme and I have it on GPS spedo and handheld GPS on San Diego Bay at 81. I do like the Howard as well and I think they make fine boats. Bring the Howard with the 525 down to SD and I'll put my 28 beside it anytime. :boxingguy

Kilrtoy
12-24-2004, 10:39 PM
My 525 owners manual, page 36, bottom of the page, note #2 says 5400 is the rev limiter. :D Operating range is 4800-5200.
There is something wrong with that article on the DCB 28 boys and girls. The DCB website states the standard top and FX 28 both weigh 4950. The mag article says the test boat weighs 5850, 575 power, and 78MPH. Something is amiss.
I have a bone stock, 525, standard top 28 Extreme and I have it on GPS spedo and handheld GPS on San Diego Bay at 81. I do like the Howard as well and I think they make fine boats. Bring the Howard with the 525 down to SD and I'll put my 28 beside it anytime. :boxingguy
NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT
Howard owners show up or shut up and go away...... :lightsabe :boxingguy

roln 20s
12-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Whenever I get (I mean order) mine-- I'm definately in. In fact, I'll even let someone else drive it. I'm cool with San Diego Bay. Regardless of that, once its chillin at Havasu, I'll be happy to take anyone for a ride anytime. Kilrtoy--I'm saving you a ride for sure :)
Roln 20s

djunkie
12-24-2004, 11:42 PM
I have been watching this thread for a while and I think it is pretty funny. I am a Howard owner myself (not a bullett unfortunately) but I think they are both nice boats. Both Howard and DCB (IMHO) build some of the best boats you can buy. As for which to choose I'd say flip a coin. I will say though that I have spoken with one of ***boat magazines (yes they do have a magazine) test drivers and he told me that he thought the Howard bullet was one of the best boats he had ever driven. I didn't ask what he thought of the DCB because it was before I had read this thread. I have heard him speak highly of DCB though.
As for some people having problems with Gene and Mike over at Howard....I purchased a used Howard that was 10 years old. I wanted to get some information on the boat boat so I called them. I had a nice long conversation with Mike and he gave all the information I wanted to know about it and was as nice as could be. When the time comes around for me to purchase a new boat I am sure that I will head straight to Howard.
By the way Rolns: when you get your bullet and you are ready to give the DCB a run let me know and I'll ride shotgun.

Starloans
12-25-2004, 11:39 AM
I have been watching this thread for a while and I think it is pretty funny. I am a Howard owner myself (not a bullett unfortunately) but I think they are both nice boats. Both Howard and DCB (IMHO) build some of the best boats you can buy. As for which to choose I'd say flip a coin. I will say though that I have spoken with one of ***boat magazines (yes they do have a magazine) test drivers and he told me that he thought the Howard bullet was one of the best boats he had ever driven. I didn't ask what he thought of the DCB because it was before I had read this thread. I have heard him speak highly of DCB though.
As for some people having problems with Gene and Mike over at Howard....I purchased a used Howard that was 10 years old. I wanted to get some information on the boat boat so I called them. I had a nice long conversation with Mike and he gave all the information I wanted to know about it and was as nice as could be. When the time comes around for me to purchase a new boat I am sure that I will head straight to Howard.
By the way Rolns: when you get your bullet and you are ready to give the DCB a run let me know and I'll ride shotgun.
To be honest I think the Howard should be 2-3 mph faster with identical power than the DCB. The review and website for Howard both state 4500 lbs. That is a bit lighter than the DCB, at least acording to the MFGs. I have never weighed my boat. Also the Howard is 2" narrower and a couple of inches shorter. I vaguely remember seeing the bullet at the LA show. Very nice boat. I would have considered buying one if the MFG was close to my house, but DCB was the closest, dam the bad luck! :D
I don't know about all the political crap with Gene or Mike, who ever they are, at Howard. But I did stop by THE shop this week to deliver some holiday cheer to my fav boat builder. And as usual they are eager to know if me or my boat need anything. Nope just an oil change. I can handle that.

BoatFloating
12-26-2004, 03:17 PM
You should get that bump on your head checked, your eye sight is bad.
Merc. pre runs there engines and does list them as follows.
500EFI = 500HP eng. 470HP at prop
525EFI = 525HP eng. 500HP at prop
575SCI = 575HP eng. 550HP at prop
Merc. is a big company and I'll bet they dyno there engines in quit often. Hey just kidding on the bump have good X - Mas and 10 - 4 on The Howard
No head bumping just trying to clarify what you were saying maybe you had to much egg nor and brandy????. Here is your quote
HEY SPEEDMAN
No with that said
the 525 is 525.
One number you give us at the prop the 575 = 550@prop then you give us the 525 and you give us @ the crank number so someone who didn't know any better would think the 575 price bump wasn't worth it for 25 HP.... when it's 50HP @ crank..... Ho, Ho, Ho.......

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-28-2004, 05:08 PM
I guess since your not beating the drums about shockwave, we know what your looking at :hammer2:

Kilrtoy
12-28-2004, 05:16 PM
I guess since your not beating the drums about shockwave, we know what your looking at :hammer2:
The howard and DCB are 22 degree vee's, the shockwave is 24. It is also a heavier boat , but a better rough water boat then both of those, So have been told....

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-28-2004, 05:17 PM
The howard and DCB are 22 degree vee's, the shockwave is 24. It is also a heavier boat , but a better rough water boat then both of those, So have been told....
ooooo so its a 29 Shockwave you want LMAO

Kilrtoy
12-28-2004, 06:51 PM
This doesnt look like DCB or Shockwave to me, Does it Blown H....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/111P1010016.jpg

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
12-28-2004, 07:27 PM
This doesnt look like DCB or Shockwave to me, Does it Blown H....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/111P1010016.jpg
BUT THIS DOES X
Dam just a red X LMAO

SHOTKALLIN
12-28-2004, 08:29 PM
you got something up your sleeve Kilrtoy?