PDA

View Full Version : On line bill paying

Mandelon
09-22-2004, 12:29 PM
What is your feeling on this? I use it through B of A sometimes. It is quick and convenient, but identity theft is scary. My wife will have none of it, she prefers snail mail.

jackpunx
09-22-2004, 12:31 PM
I dont pay bills any other way.. I have not written a check in a while.. I use Wells.. works great :D

Tremor Therapy
09-22-2004, 12:31 PM
I have been paying my bills on-line for the past 3 years, and have not yet had a problem....knock on wood.
But I will admit that I do not have the same passwords for any of the accounts, which makes it a bit difficult to keep track of everything, but thats what the Raspberry is for!

MRS. MAINEVENT
09-22-2004, 12:32 PM
I'm so tired of writing out the checks and I have been tempted to sign up for all of this on-line banking and bill paying but like your wife I'm a little nervous. :220v:

Big_Gunz_
09-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Been using it for years, set up the accounts to pay every month on what ever day I want and never have to worry about checking on it, the bank does it for me. Whenever I pay off a CC or any other bill, I just have to stop that account. Best thing since sliced bread.

Bre
09-22-2004, 12:36 PM
I use Washington Mutuals for everything... quick easy..and cheaper :rollside: I am on the computer all day..so it makes it easy to pay the bills while I am on here.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-22-2004, 12:37 PM
One of my coworkers is at this very moment battling Wells Fargo for some sort of online billpay mishap.
I used to use it all the time but now the husband handles all the bills and there is no way in h-e-double hockey sticks he would trust it.
:D

Mandelon
09-22-2004, 12:40 PM
It is easy to enter a new payee, no envelopes, no stamps. For the regular bills, it seems like a great thing.
I like how I can look at the old checks that I do write online, at least for 65 days....its pretty slick. The way my handwriting looks online makes me laugh, they look like a kid wrote them....

Mrs. Restless22
09-22-2004, 12:42 PM
I use BofA also and havent written a check in probably 4 years.
I dont even know where my checkbook is :confused:
Anyways...I love it, and wouldnt ever go back to checks. No stamp purchasing, and I like that you can always go in at any time and see when and how much you paid your last bills.

NOTALENT
09-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Me too..Me too...I pay all my bill's online..not only do they get paid on time and quick..u dont have to wait for them to cash them...and you can pay them within the last couple days...I have never had a problem..I also use quicken.. :D

Mandelon
09-22-2004, 12:44 PM
So instead of rep points can you send me a nice payment instead??? :cool:

Mrs. Restless22
09-22-2004, 12:46 PM
So instead of rep points can you send me a nice payment instead??? :cool:
NO prob...your dollar is on its way :p

JetBoatRich
09-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Been using on-line banking for years :D started paying bills over the last couple, works good never had an issue :rolleyes:
Like someone else mentioned, It can get confusing with mulitple user names/passwords :boxingguy on top of different forums you may visit :idea:

572Daytona
09-22-2004, 01:24 PM
I don't use online billing but 95% of my bills are paid via an automatic monthly bank draft or an auto charge to my Visa (which is subsequently paid in full by a bank draft). It works great and no worries about identity theft or PC failures/etc. And I get frequent flyer miles for the charges to my Visa :cool:

MsDrmr
09-22-2004, 01:26 PM
I use online bill pay only through my bank, I do not go individally, too much info floating around on the internet, so I registered through my credit union and do it all through them, Never had a problem yet and it's been over three years

Riverhound
09-22-2004, 01:27 PM
I've been using the on-line bill pay for approx 5 years and so far so good. Like others have stated be sure to use different passwords for all your accounts. An added benifit is I can down load my account activity directly into Quiken for the montly numbers crunching. :hammerhea

coolchange
09-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Just closed an account because there was illegal activity on it. AOL net deal or something and another one. Some little **** just signs you up and starts billing to make a qouta. Then you call and they say you signed up you pay. Start yellin that Ive never had AOHELL or been to this place or had that, they just laugh. Have had a coupla hundred dollars returned by Wells Fargo and filed complaints with BBB. CHECK YOUR ACCT ACTIVITY. I think there should be a class action suite against AOL.

mbrown2
09-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Been using it since 96 with Wells Fargo....can't imaging life without it. Actually online banking in general is very good....I can see suspicious activity a lot quicker with it then without it...and when I see or get a letter on a bill that had an issue, I get Wells to investigate it...not me sending letters or making phone calls, just hit the inquiry button...they figure out why the bill got returned or did not make...had a couple where either wells or the payee screwed up and because of all the electronic records, they corrected the issue and no affect to my credit.....its also great to download pending payments quickly and figure out how much you can spend on your river trips after everything is paid... :idea: :D

Garrddogg
09-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Love it! :chi: :D :cool:

racecar.hotshoe
09-22-2004, 02:16 PM
The wife does it with BofA and loves it.

throwerb
09-22-2004, 02:16 PM
On-line wells for me also, never a problem in 3 years.

DryHeatOnly
09-22-2004, 02:47 PM
BofA bill pay here. Be sure you enter the payee address correctly or you'll find out much later that the payee didn't get their moola.

Hallz
09-22-2004, 03:04 PM
I use it and love it, without it I am alwase late. either automatic withdraw or EBP!! :coffeycup

Performance 19
09-22-2004, 03:05 PM
Have used BofA for many years. It is also handy for transferring money between accounts. I do change my password on a regular basis with any site I have financial transactions with.

C-2
09-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Identity Theft usually happens as a result of stolen mail, or those credit card offers you don't shred, stolen ID, or even worse, some scumbag employee pilfering thru your personnel file at work and then reselling the info.
ID theft via a hacked computer is a small percentage only.
I also use online bill pay and pay by credit card over the net all the time. I love online bill pay. :)
There is literally no way to absolutely protect yourself from ID theft, period.

CARRERA
09-22-2004, 05:07 PM
What is your feeling on this? I use it through B of A sometimes. It is quick and convenient, but identity theft is scary. My wife will have none of it, she prefers snail mail.
I have been doing it for 13 years, and have not had a problem. I wouldn't do it any other way.......................

Bank Boy
09-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Your chance of fraud is reduced by 70 to 80% by using on-line services.
As a banker we give a couple pieces of basic advise:
-never give your account information out to any one calling you.(even if they identify themselves as your bank.)
-never give your account information out via an e-mail.
-never give your personal indentification numbers out to anyone.
-reconcile your account on a monthly basis.
-report any questionable activity immediately.
Snail is still the greatest opportunity for identity theft. If you minimize the number of times your account information goes through the mail, you minimize your risk.

voodoomedman
09-22-2004, 06:38 PM
I use BofA Bill Pay and never have a problem. Save money on stamps. Just get yourself a firewall to make sure your computer is secure. BofA's is fine. They pay lots of money to maintain those databases and if someone were able to get in they'd have your money anyway, regardless if you did bill pay. Just secure your computer. Haven't you seen 60 minutes and the such. People will steal your mail and wash the inks off of your checks and rewrite them and make money. Theres a chance no matter what you do. Just take safety precautions in everything you do.