PDA

View Full Version : Got My Gaskets!

Some Kind Of Monster
09-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Finally got my gaskets to get my 468 back in the Monster. I bought a complete set of Fel-Pro gaskets on Ebay for $50 plus $10 shipping. Great deal if you ask me. These head gaskets would have cost me that alone. I'm going to get to work right now! http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1683CIMG0415.JPG

Some Kind Of Monster
09-22-2004, 12:50 PM
Also, This set came with only one restrictor plate for the intake gaskets. I have always used both. In the Arizona climate that I boat in, should I use two, one (like the instructions say) or no restrictors?

lucky
09-22-2004, 12:52 PM
if any one wants some head gaskets i have some - several New !

MudPumper
09-22-2004, 02:50 PM
Nice, Throw out the pan gasket and buy the Felpro blue one piece gasket and also throw out the Valve Cover gaskets and get the reusable blue Felpros that look just like the pan gasket. It's money well spent trust me. Also thow out the black rubber pieces that are used for the ends of the lifter valley and use a thick bead of RTV. If you decide to go with the one piece pan gasket put a bead of RTV in the corners around the mains. Get some gasket cinch for the manifold gaskets too. Good luck. :mix:

sanger rat
09-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Them don't look like felpro marine gaskets?

BrendellaJet
09-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Them don't look like felpro marine gaskets?
Does that really matter?

hondajoey
09-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Hey Monster
i dont know what kind of intake you are running but i read somewhere that the blue permatork gaskets that them kits come with dont seal well with a aluminum intake because they are too hard, i ran them for a couple of trips on my motor and i had to keep retorquing the intake bolts on my tunnel ram. so i picked up a set of the black ones made by felpro at Lopers i think they were 14.00 bucks, i torqued them once and rechecked them and they stayed put. just my useless .02 cents.
dont know if anyone else had the same problems or thoughts on it

sanger rat
09-22-2004, 07:57 PM
I was told to use felpro marine gaskets. Somthing about the water pressure in a jet boat. I've always used blues in the car motors.

MudPumper
09-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Sanger Rat, water pressure in a Jet shouldn't be an issue because you should be running a Water Pressure Reducing Regulator to limit the block pressure.
HondaJoey, the black felpros with the blue ring on one side will dry out and crack causing leaks. I've seen it on a handfull of motors. I've been running the same blue intake gaskets for two seasons now, no problems.

Some Kind Of Monster
09-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Mudpumper
Thanks for the advise. I will get the gaskets you speak of. I always do my intake with RTV on the front and back just as you say, so thats no problem. Also, what's an intake cinch? I'm still wondering about those intake restrictors.. I always put them both on because its so hot here. If I am correct the purpose of that part of the intake is to warm the carb during cooler weather? Am I correct?

78Southwind
09-23-2004, 12:37 AM
;)

fourspeednup
09-23-2004, 12:55 AM
...Also, what's an intake cinch?
"gaskacinch" is a glue/sealer used to hold the gasket in place so you can have free fingers to do other stuff and not worry about it sliding around :)
Here's one type, I think permatex makes it but this is all I could find...
edelbrock "gasgacinch" (http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=712&prmenbr=361)
BTW--it's starting to cool off, better get that boat running quick! :rollside:

Some Kind Of Monster
09-23-2004, 08:26 AM
BTW--it's starting to cool off, better get that boat running quick! :rollside:
Like I said, I run all year come hell or high water. It doesn't cool off here, it's just your imagination.
"If it's too cold, build a bigger fire,
If you can't see, build a bigger fire"

fourspeednup
09-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Like I said, I run all year come hell or high water. It doesn't cool off here, it's just your imagination.
saweeeet...I'll go grab my jacket, it just dipped below 140
"If it's too cold, build a bigger fire,
If you can't see, build a bigger fire"
I like your logic...huhu...fire's cool

460rogers
09-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Block em both off you shouldn't need to heat the intake.
Anyway it makes it sound better.
Just my .02