PDA

View Full Version : which bearings and oil pump

dave186
09-23-2004, 08:43 AM
ive got my 460 BBF out of the boat so i can paint the hull and am going to take the oportunity to do a few things to the engine. its got a leaking rear main seal so the pan has to come off anyway, so im for sure going to slap in a new oil pump. it has good pressure when cold (60psi) but when she gets hot it drops down fast. I want to get an oil cooler if i can afford one. but either way, im gonna put in a new pump and possibly bearings, depending on what i find.

roostwear
09-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Just count on replacing the rod and main bearings while it's out. It's not that expensive, and keeps the bottom end fresh. Be sure to pay attention to the oil hole alignment (especially on main#1). Consider new freeze plugs too. (You are going to pop out the rears and drain the sand, aren't you?) :wink:

Squirtin Thunder
09-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Align bore or hone will fix the oil presure problem, along with the proper bearing clearances. For example I run a stock oil pump and have 70psi at start-up 70psi hot and 69psi after a ten mile or 15min. run.
BTW-Valvoline Racing 20w50
Jim

Squirtin Thunder
09-23-2004, 10:53 AM
BTW- Thats at WOT !!!!
Jim

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Align bore or hone will fix the oil presure problem, along with the proper bearing clearances. For example I run a stock oil pump and have 70psi at start-up 70psi hot and 69psi after a ten mile or 15min. run.
BTW-Valvoline Racing 20w50
Jim
Now thats some good oil pressure ;) dontcha just luv valvoline oil;)

Bajajet
09-23-2004, 03:57 PM
If you do cam bearings, I have had good luck with Durabond coated bearings. Can't recall the ones I run currently but they were the second or third level up of their bearings.
Craig

Squirtin Thunder
09-23-2004, 04:07 PM
Federal-Mogul racing bearings, they are alittle more but well worth it.
Jim
I have a 466ci BBF in my race truck, the presure is at 80psi and drops to 70psi hot. Now this engine has a oil cooler way up on the cage behind the cab.

LakesOnly
09-23-2004, 10:13 PM
ive got my 460 BBF out of the boat so i can paint the hull and am going to take the oportunity to do a few things to the engine. its got a leaking rear main seal so the pan has to come off anyway, so im for sure going to slap in a new oil pump. it has good pressure when cold (60psi) but when she gets hot it drops down fast. I want to get an oil cooler if i can afford one. but either way, im gonna put in a new pump and possibly bearings, depending on what i find.
hey Dave,
Before you disturb everything and tear your motor down, how far is the pressure drop and what oil are you running and what filter are you running? Be honest! :cool:
LO

Squirtin Thunder
09-23-2004, 10:37 PM
Lakes,
Putting 466ci back in Boat
What do you think.
Thank you
Jim

LakesOnly
09-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Lakes,
Putting 466ci back in Boat
What do you think.
Thank you
Jim
I think the extra 31 cubes is a great move on your jet boat.
Emailing you...
Paul