PDA

View Full Version : Best Havasu Directions?

WetWillie
09-23-2004, 07:53 PM
I was thinking about going up the 15 and then cutting over. Its been a while can you tell?
Hautical directions say :
From San Diego: Take I-8 East to Yuma. At Yuma, take AZ-95 North to Lake Havasu City. Turn right on Swanson Ave., make an immediate left onto Lake Havasu Ave. to McCulloch Blvd. (1st light). Turn left, cross over the London Bridge, go approximately 1 mile and turn left at the Nautical Inn Resort sign.
Is one route better or shorter.
San Diego peps chime in here?
WW

Mandelon
09-23-2004, 08:06 PM
I usually go out 8 to 111 in El Centro then up to 78 at Brawley right turn out past Glamis and up to the 10, over to Quartzite, fill up at the Shell station then up the 95 to Parker and come in from the south.
From Scripps you could head up 15 to 215, 60 east to the 10 then up through 29 palms to the 40 or over to the 95. I hate going 15 to Barstow and then the 40. There always seems to be some accident that slows us down. On the backroads you can go 80 and not see another car around.
The cutoff through Amboy has gotten really rough the past few years....and 29 palms has more traffic than it used to. Its about 5 hours towing with no stops. It shaves off 40 minutes over the freeway route. Its more interesting too.

100mbs
09-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Hey WetWillie,
I go up 15 to 215 then that turns in to 60 east then that turns in to 10 east. Exit Desert Center and make a let on to Desert Center.
Follow that to Vidal Junction (it will be the only gas station for several miles and you will see a Agriculture check point to the left). Go through the Stop sign (you will see a sign that says havasu and parker). You go on this road for a little bit and then you will come to a stop sign make a Right. Follow this road through a little town and when you get to the First Stop Light (Arco Gas staion is on the Left side) make a Left. Now you will be on the 95. Just follow the 95 for about 20 miles or more and you will get in to Havsu city. Turn Left on McCulluch Rd. This is the street that London Bridge is on.
Hope this helps.

Waldo
09-23-2004, 08:13 PM
29 Palms route has been closed for a few weeks. At least it was last weekend.
Also, there was a hell of a monsoon last Saturday night that closed Vidal Junction. We had to go through Blythe to come home.
Might want to check CalTrans or something.

WetWillie
09-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Mandy talk english man?? Back way thru Yuma?
Damn someone was saying Havasu is only an hour farther then Hidden shores. Sound alot farther.
Soooooo
Towing which way??
Not towing which way??
WW

Ziggy
09-23-2004, 09:13 PM
Mandy talk english man?? Back way thru Yuma?
Damn someone was saying Havasu is only an hour farther then Hidden shores. Sound alot farther.
Soooooo
Towing which way??
Not towing which way??
WW
WW,
Take Mandy's original directions thru Glamis(see next post) and up to I-10 east. ....But rather than going to Quartzite take the very first exit after crossing river into AZ.(Erinbourgh) and take Mohave Road directly into Parker---that runs into the AZ95. Make a left there and follow the Az95 signs, you'll make a right(where the AmPm 100mbs mentioned) in less than a mile heading to Havasu. That'll shave off a good 10-20 miles vice the Quartzite route.
Oh, and stay close to the Speed Limits in AZ., it all Indian Res. and they watch it pretty close.
All easy driving even w/trailer.

Ziggy
09-23-2004, 09:17 PM
I usually go out 8 to 111 in El Centro then up to 78 at Brawley right turn out past Glamis and up to the 10, over to Quartzite, fill up at the Shell station then up the 95 to Parker and come in from the south.
Should've gotten a diesel...I can go back and forth on one tank if I drive reasonably. Its nearly 600 miles round trip for me.

Mandelon
09-23-2004, 09:17 PM
When I go that way I always get stuck behind some farmers or families. I know the quartzite way is longer, but you can run 80 on that road as opposed to 55-60 through the more residential CRIT land on that road.
But Zig is right, it is shorter.
Plus the Shell station has good prices on diesel. :wink:
I don't wanna know what kinda tickets the CRIT cops hand out to the white man... :eek:
As far as 1.5 hours further than the Shores.....I think they are an hour or so off....

Mandelon
09-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Should've gotten a diesel...I can go back and forth on one tank if I drive reasonably. Its nearly 600 miles round trip for me.
I do have a diesel, but I don't drive reasonably.....LOL :hammer2:

Ziggy
09-23-2004, 09:33 PM
I do have a diesel, but I don't drive reasonably.....LOL :hammer2:
I was about to say "you smart ass" with your little blue winker dude...but I guess it must just be a BowTie model :D :D :p :D
BTW-You've been lucky the other route, my son traveled that quite a bit when he lived in Phoenix and got nabbed...supposedly that is well patrolled too. Straight, up-n-down whooopTdooo :220v: Booooring :cool:
Me, I like curves so I take the mountains :D towing or not

WetWillie
09-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Mandy I am gunna try your way. If it works well I am buying drinks on Sunday! You be in Havi?
WW :messedup:

locogringo
09-23-2004, 11:00 PM
best Havasu directions...
drive or fly... :D