PDA

View Full Version : Pump oil weight

raisinL
04-12-2006, 06:03 AM
Just bought a jet and it has a berekley jg jet. My question is guy's been saying use 90 weight gear oil in the bowl. I'm haven a hard time finding 90. Is 80 / 90 ok?

Devilman
04-12-2006, 06:27 AM
Just bought a jet and it has a berekley jg jet. My question is guy's been saying use 90 weight gear oil in the bowl. I'm haven a hard time finding 90. Is 80 / 90 ok?
I been using 80/90 gear oil in mine ever since I got it, over a year ago. No worries... :cool:

HammerDown
04-12-2006, 06:36 AM
Guess what...no gears in there meshing together just two bushings. Sure you can use any cheap/bargain gear oil or...I simply pump 50 wt motor oil in.
Never any issues.

FASTRAT
04-12-2006, 09:46 AM
I personally use a high temp grease that i got from Rexone...no chance of any water getting in there...just my .02 cents
fastrat

SmokinLowriderSS
04-12-2006, 01:54 PM
The only GL-5 I happen to keep arround is a premium 85/140, works just fine in my berk.

HammerDown
04-12-2006, 01:58 PM
I personally use a high temp grease that i got from Rexone...no chance of any water getting in there...just my .02 cents
fastrat
Question...do you feel that grease will actually flow in between the shaft and bushings like oil? Or just move out of the way once the shaft spins?
Reason I ask...in a high temp environment such as a disk rotor/wheel bearing the grease will melt down and flow. I seriously doubt the pump shaft or bowl gets hot enough to "flow" the grease.
However I could be wrong.
Me likes thick motor or gear oil.

Riverat84
04-12-2006, 02:47 PM
what? where do you put the oil in? all i see is a zerk fitting for my thrust bearing right by my cv joints...? can someone inform me on my aggressor jet?
this is hella new and now im worried.
thanx,
reid

SmokinLowriderSS
04-12-2006, 02:58 PM
what? where do you put the oil in? all i see is a zerk fitting for my thrust bearing right by my cv joints...? can someone inform me on my aggressor jet?
this is hella new and now im worried.
thanx,
reid
Look up your nozzle at the end cap in the center of the bowl fins. You should find a single zerk staring at you. Here's from Agressor's site:
2016 Billet Bowl Cap with Grease Fitting $28.40
Used on all Aggressor Bowls- Can also be used to convert other Bowls

FASTRAT
04-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Question...do you feel that grease will actually flow in between the shaft and bushings like oil? Or just move out of the way once the shaft spins?
Reason I ask...in a high temp environment such as a disk rotor/wheel bearing the grease will melt down and flow. I seriously doubt the pump shaft or bowl gets hot enough to "flow" the grease.
However I could be wrong.
Me likes thick motor or gear oil.
Hammer....
i was told by the person who re-built/blue printed/clearanced my pump to run Hi-Temp grease in it...i guess the reason was that the grease keeps any possiblity of water from getting into the bowl...i just pump it in the zerk on 1 side until it comes out the other side where the plug is (pack it full)...i'm sure it "stays" around the shaft & bushings & doesn't move out of the way when the shaft spins...i have always ran it that way with n/p
fastrat

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-13-2006, 06:05 AM
No grease or oil here. My bowl is watercooled like a dominator;)

Riverat84
04-13-2006, 07:22 AM
Look up your nozzle at the end cap in the center of the bowl fins. You should find a single zerk staring at you. Here's from Agressor's site:
2016 Billet Bowl Cap with Grease Fitting $28.40
Used on all Aggressor Bowls- Can also be used to convert other Bowls
ahh! awesome man, thanx alot ill check it out.

FASTRAT
04-13-2006, 10:08 AM
No grease or oil here. My bowl is watercooled like a dominator;)
Michael...
somethings amiss here...if ur bowl is water cooled...how does the shaft & bushings get lubricated?...wouldnt the water, if it sits in there, rust them over time?
fastrat

SmokinLowriderSS
04-13-2006, 01:34 PM
I have been told that leaving the rear cap off and the seal out makes the bushings "high-pressure water lubed" and does not seem to have any adverse effects on the pump or performance.