PDA

View Full Version : POLL QUESTION?

GOT WATER ??
07-11-2001, 01:11 PM
License to operate a boat or PWC, Yes or No?

RiverDave
07-11-2001, 01:21 PM
Hell NO!!!!!

nitro557
07-11-2001, 01:24 PM
yes , i see the people who can afford a boat but dont have a clue how to operate , when they pick it up we take them an a demo but they never pick it all up , its the happeist day in their life , we do offer a safety class and i matenance class to our customers but not many do it

Riley
07-11-2001, 01:55 PM
I got to go with no.
Although I wouldn't mind seeing a mandatory safety class for all new boaters. It's better than licsensing.
Riley

RiverDave
07-11-2001, 02:07 PM
I'm just against any more encrouchment through lesgilation. Now we have this muffler thing to deal with etc....
RiverDave

Slick
07-11-2001, 02:27 PM
I've got mixed emotions on this one. I'm against more regulations, but wouldn't have a problem in taking a test for a boating license. Hell, I might just learn something.
Slick

Chestah Cheetah
07-11-2001, 02:37 PM
I know I'm new to this but correct me if I'm wrong. If you know how to drive a boat properly, why wouldn't you want to take the test? Fear of failure? Then you weren't apt to begin with. Myself, I would want to take courses just because I didn't grow up on boats like a lot of you. Also, there wouldn't be as many boneheads out there to deal with. I'm against new legislation in general, but this may solve a lot of problems being discussed on this forum.
I vote Yes!

spectras only
07-11-2001, 02:42 PM
I'll say no with one condition!A new boater purchasing a new boat,should take a powersquadron course,wich in effect would help getting acceptance from the underwriters to get insurance.Here in B.C,they have a program similar for new riders of superbikes.Most dealers honour this system to sell bikes for those only,who taken a young drivers program.A friend of mine is a professional truckdriver instructor,who also part owner of the young drivers of canada school,and has good feedback on this program.

rivercrazy
07-11-2001, 02:53 PM
Since I'm so sick of gov't intervention, I say no to licencing. It makes some sense in certain circumstances though.

jroos
07-11-2001, 03:35 PM
A one time boater safety course for a liscense up to a certain foot boat, twin screw ect, etc.

mister460
07-11-2001, 03:41 PM
No, but I do think you should have a license to breed. Stupid people get their card taken away from them. NO BREED FOR YOU, FOR LIFE!! In twenty years or so we'd have a society of super geniuses and I will rule the planet!! HAHAHAHAHA!! Oh wait, I just came back to reality!! I hate to support new legislation that licenses anything but sometimes it is needed. I'd take the test.

mario
07-11-2001, 04:19 PM
no and yes Im with (spectra's only) The powersquadron class he menioned is a good course for all and helps with insurance prices too. My uncle was a comander in the North East powersquadron in Maryland and he made me take the class when I was a teenager. After all boats don't stop like cars do. I don't belive in the special licens unless it is a captains licens. I belive a course is required around where I live for people born after 1974. I use to drive trucks for Penske and besides D.O.T. they put you thru a course call the Smith system. Saftey is always first. Don't want any new boater smashin in to my ride or my family. As for jet ski's and wave runners I would vote yes!!! I have (seen) 3 people die on these water crotch rockets acting like idiots. we have one and our son wont drive it till he's older and goes to some classes.
just my opinion
Mario

regattaJim
07-11-2001, 04:42 PM
i'd like to see a VOLUNTARY endorsement on your driver's license that says you completed a safe boating course.... it might help with insurance rates.....

H4215
07-11-2001, 05:08 PM
NO! Only because we do not need anything else the government can make money off of us with, but I still think we should look into a flag system. You only receive a certain colored flag if you pass a voluntary boating knowledge and safety test, and then we restrict certain waterways to certain flag holders. The more extensive your knowledge and experience the more areas you have access to that rookies do not. Still trying to develop the whole segregated mountain at the ski resort thing. Any suggestions are welcome.

Cas42
07-11-2001, 05:13 PM
After much thought, licensing no and I as mentioned in that other thread something in the way of a mandatory safety class. If nothing is done, the gov't will come in with some pretty off the wall restrictions in a big way.

Rivertoys_com
07-11-2001, 05:15 PM
I'll always say no more government regulations, they only get added - never taken.
I have two points:
1) we, as boaters, need to be responsible for our actions and operations. If we don't show there's no need for government regulations, then we can keep our freedom a little longer. To do this, we should all be aware of the regulations governing our waterways and boat operation. Encourage other boaters & friends we know these things and to take courses and learn before just going out.
2) When we sell our boats, we should also inform the purchaser (esp first time boaters) of the proper operation of the vessle. New boat builders should "train" every new boater. Throw in a Power Squadrons Video in with the purchase. I know people who sell Fountains and larger off-shore boats(or as we know them Havasu Lake Boats) do train new buyer before turning the boat over to them. Maybe they do already???? I've never purchased a new boat.

Bubbledeck
07-11-2001, 06:07 PM
normally I'd say HELL NO to more gov't intervention and regulations. However this time I'd have to go for licensing. Look at it this way: it may be a pain for us to do, but it just may save your boat and/or your life by weeding out the morons a little. Call it an infringement, inconvienience, pain in the rear, plain wrong, or anything else you like, and I will agree with you. But one thing is for sure .. it won't make the waters any more unsafe than they already are. Furthermore I'd like to see Big Brother set aside areas for the Lake Lice to be stupid in. Then when not in that "Stupid Area" they would have to conduct themselves as thinking, responsible boaters like the rest of us.
The bottom line is that if you can't pass a basic skills and knowledge test you really shouldn't be out on the water.
well that's my nickels worth

EDROE
07-11-2001, 06:25 PM
NO WAY!!!!! they're taking our freedom away a little bit at a time.Every day something esle is agaist the LAW. I wont give up any of my rights!! HELL NO!! They're taking and we're giving. I dont think so.....

CoastGuardSteve
07-11-2001, 07:16 PM
My answer is no. My reasoning is that you cannot teach someone who is not open to learning. What islikly to happen is that these idiots would get into the classroom remember enough for the test to pass it and forget when the 'glass gets wet. Even if the effort was made to make licensing mandatory who would really worry about it? How would you enforce it? It would mean that we have to hire more people to A) do the patrolling B) increase the funding for salary C) maintain the new patrol craft, that is assuming you put more enforcement on the water. As you can all see the dollars required would continue to climb as I have just scratched the surface and we all know how well versed the government is when it comes to spending too much and seeing little for OUR dollars. The Lake Patrol have enough to do already with their present responsibilities. I don't think there any miracle solutions but at some point big-brother will step in when he sees money to be made and the jobs that it will all create. Let's not make ourselves the governments next project. If anyone has any good ideas, let us hear them. maybe we can solve the problem ourselves before THE MAN steps in.
Steve

CoastGuardSteve
07-11-2001, 07:21 PM
Ooops! I seem to have gotten a little happy with the keys.....
What I was saying in the opening is that these people will only remember the bare minimum to get the license and will have long forgotten it by the time the boat hits the water. Please excuse my enthusiasm!!

jimmmyb
07-11-2001, 07:24 PM
i agree with bubble deck,
their should be some common sense test or some kind of iq test, u know like some guy patroling at the launch ramp with one of the wooden block things, if the boater try's to put the round peg in the square hole no launch for him,

jaqquuuz
07-11-2001, 07:58 PM
Yes it would be nice to see some kind of knowledge in boating but you have to face the facts. How many police do you see on the water verses boater? If they had enough police for the amount of boaters on just the river then we would complain that there are to many cops. Just like auto insurence everyone is supposed to have it yet it seems like the guy that runs into you doesn't have it. What im trying to say is the responsable people are all for it yet its the ones who dont give a damn are the ones who wont use it.Even if a law did pass to make it manditory to drive a boat the guy that hits you never took the class. Thats just my .02

EDROE
07-11-2001, 08:26 PM
Just about everyone over 18 has a drivers license. Look at all the fools that can drive, it's unfu**inbelievable You cant tell if someone is legal or not. What would be different on the water? NOTHING!!!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif

timitunnel
07-11-2001, 08:38 PM
I say no. If it really bothers you than do like I do, get a few fellow boaters together and go politly explain what they are doing is the wrong way. I stress the word politly because helping someone is acceptable, making them mad is dangerous to all of us. Helping somone learn is alot better than having the goverment shove it down our throt, while striping our wallets for a bigger house. There are already laws that don't get enforced because of lack of man power. Passing out the boater hand books the DMV has might be another way to help. When I got my first boat I didn't have a clue, but a few people gave some good advise and pointed me in the right direction. So please pass it on and save our fun. Tim

ULTRA28
07-11-2001, 08:38 PM
Of course I don't want anything that is going to cause me to possibly lose sales, but I do believe that boat dealers should have to go over some basic training with the new customer. I take out every new boater for a basic driving lesson. I don't force the experienced boaters to go on a ride with me, but do spend some time going over the boat. Rarely do we sell a boat to a first time boater, but the other day I sold a 21' jet boat with 425hp to a new boater. I took him for a 3 hour lesson, the wife video taped the whole thing for future referance, at the end of the lesson I was still concerned becuase I didn't feel he had learned enough, but he felt I was insulting him by wanting to continue the driving lesson, so I told him about the coast guard classes that can help reduce insurance costs just to get him to get some more training, so I do believe that in some cases a license would be nice, if for nothing else to save the builder from certain liabilities and maybe a few lives.

racingrascal
07-11-2001, 09:05 PM
No new laws! Im with Ultra28, dealers should try to school the new boater on the ways of the water and boat operation. And maybe have some sort of state law, then the dealer would be resposable to mail some sort of notice to the state.(DMV) Then the dealer wouldn't be so liable if something were to happen, they trained them and state was informed. And if you have the experence, proof of owning another boat you could simply take a writen test to be sent to the DMV. Just my .02
Andy

Cas42
07-11-2001, 09:23 PM
CGSteve,
I know what you're talking about and pretty much agree. A thought that I have would be for boat owners to go through a CG approved safety course every couple of years (maybe 4). After a minimum amount of hours, you receive a pocket certification and maybe a sticker for the boat. Upon entering a resort, campground, launch ramp or wherever people get on the lake, the attendant checks your certificate. If someone hasn't been certified to have taken the course, they don't get on the lake. I don't think an idea like this would cost the state any more than what it is already especially if they have a $50 fee or so for the course.
Nothing that is done will be a guarantee to prevent stupidity but at least it will help.

kingb36
07-11-2001, 11:29 PM
every fiber of my being wants to say no more regulations BUT I cant think of any other way to get the morons who have no buisness behind the wheel of a boat (especially the bimbettes in the brand new sea doo doo that came within 2 feet of ramming my pride and joy last weekend) off my lake before me, my family, or some other inocent party gets killed. I know it sucks but my 12 year old can operate my boat at 60+ better than 2/3 of yhe people on my lake can operate a rowboat! And I could go to jail for letting him drive it. Test for skill & knowledge, if you can pass it shouldn't matter if you are 8 or 80. just my .02$

beached1
07-12-2001, 02:45 AM
I would have to vote no. Gov intervention is never the answer in my opinion. However, if it were to happen, the one thing i would appreciate is if the cops and or DMV could revoke someones boating licence for a serious violation.

Teshio
07-12-2001, 03:18 AM
PWC--YES!
Boat--NO, UNLESS UNDER 17!

BobS
07-12-2001, 04:10 AM
I have mixed emotions on this. On the one hand, you can't legislate stupidity away. However, just recently I was waiting my turn to recover my boat and this guy, with his family, was blocking the ramp. Here was this guy with his brand new boat, and I mean it still had the stickers on it, first time out on the water, and he had no idea of even the basics, and I'm talking about where his drain plug was and how or even whether to remove it, much less safety! Now maybe we don't need licenses, but I think before an owner can get numbers for their boat, they need to pass a certified safety course and submit a certificate with the application.

lakecrazy
07-12-2001, 05:09 AM
If people continue to ignore common sense boating saftey and courtesy then government intervention is inevitable.

Cas42
07-12-2001, 07:06 AM
An exerpt from the SF Chronicle:
---------------------
Boating popularity is cresting in California
Tom Stienstra Sunday, July 8, 2001
--------------------
"At the same time that boating recreation is cresting, some extraordinary figures are being passed around on the inside of the boating world, regarding safety numbers, sales and even names of boats.
There are some real stunners regarding boating accidents in California, especially involving Jet Skis and other types of personal watercraft (PWCs). These numbers were provided by Raynor Tsuneyoshi, director of the California Department of Boating:
-- PWCs accounted for a disproportionately high number of accidents, but with an amazing twist. PWCs account for only 19 percent of vessels in California, but were involved in 32 percent of reported accidents last year.
Now, get this: Of the 293 PWC accidents in 2000 in California, 67 percent involved an operator who was not the owner. That makes it verifiable that loaning out a PWC to anybody not trained in its operation is like giving kids a box of matches and a case of dynamite for the Fourth of July.
-- Since the minimum age to operate any vessel with more than 15 horsepower was raised from 12 to 16, the number of accidents involving youth operators decreased to only 80 for the entire year -- and that's out of 900,000 registered boats in California.
Now, get this: Eighty-nine percent of the youth operators involved in accidents in California last year were operating a PWC. That should scare the daylights out of every parent in California whose child gets on a PWC.
-- Of the 51 boating fatalities in 2000, 78 percent drowned, and of that group, 80 percent were not wearing a life jacket.
Now, get this: Of last year's fatal accidents, 50 percent were fishing, and of those, 88 percent were not wearing life jackets and 67 percent were drunk. I've been told these numbers will result in a crackdown by county sheriff boat patrols and the DFG this summer on drunken fishermen, especially in cases where youngsters are aboard.

mister460
07-12-2001, 07:41 AM
My last post was meant to be kind of a joke. But in all seriousness, I think(now I don't want to light any wildfires here) that boater licensing/registration would work as well as.........gun control. There I said it, and I stand fully behind it. The fact is, idiots would still get in boats and drive them. It would just be a pain in the ass for those of us that are safe and law abiding. But, also as I said earlier, I would take the test if licensing were instated. Wouldn't let anything stand between me and my toys! Remember, he who dies with the most toys is probably some other guy anyways, so just have fun with the ones you got!! Well, that's enough of my wisdom for today.

froggystyle
07-12-2001, 07:57 AM
Have you ever been 23 or so in a bar, and you get carded. No Problem. Right here in my wallet. The guys who make a big stink about it are 19. Same here. If you needed a boat lisence, I would get one. Four weeks prior to the beginning of the season etc... You know who wouldn't have one, but would need one? The guy about to rent a bayliner to tote his UZI to the sandbar.
Just a thought.

SB
07-12-2001, 11:13 AM
I have nothing against getting a license. Many of you say no, except for jetskis. How about a license required for operating any boat over a certain power limit, for instance over 100 hp per ton?
Next how about warning tickets from the Marine Patrol? Cop observes dangerous driver, or people complain about dangerous behavior, Marine Patrol writes ticket requiring completion of safety course to avoid fine. Just like driver school. Not to preclude fines, arrest, boat impoundment.
RE: stats. Most dangerous boat? Kayak.
Most common reason for falling overboard? Attempting to urinate over side.
I have owned a jetski, and now jetboat, have surfed, sailed and windsurfed. We all have to share the water. The problem is density. You have too many cars on road, road rage. Too many airplane passengers, air rage. I don't surf much anymore because the water's too crowded. Too many jetskis, water rage. Over a million jetskis sold over last 10 years. They're everywhere and (young)people use them. I see the yachts all tied up at the marina. Sitting.
Bottom line: Immediate complaints to authorities followed by immediate action. All boaters esp. jetkis stay the heck away from all the other boaters.

beached1
07-12-2001, 01:10 PM
Cas42's news article supports what I have always said about PWC. In my opinion, Rentals and sitdown PWC have or will ruin the sport. The problem is that sitdowns are too easy to ride. Therefore, the guy renting one or the idiot who just bought or borrowed one is an instant expert in a couple minutes. The thrill factor is gone instantly and therfore the person wants to get his money's worth. So, he starts trying more daring things like splashing his friends on the dock or on another PWC. Cutting people off an throwing down a 360 right out in the middle of the river. Or riding as close to the beach as possible so that all his friends can see what a pro he is. I'm sure everone has a good scenario. But I think rentals of PWC should be abolished and licensing of them would help. I'm just afraid of the fact that if this were to come into law all the cops would be out for me because I still ride a standup now and then. Cops hate us already, I don't want to give them another reason to pull me over.