PDA

View Full Version : Clean Air

1978 Rogers
09-24-2004, 12:41 PM
I just saw this story on Yahoo. Is the air quality really that bad in California. :D I haven't been back since my folks took me to Diseny Land when I was 5. That was 29 years ago. I've seen the brown cloud in Pheonix. Who wants to see the mountains anyway.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040924/ap_on_sc/greenhouse_emissions

Dribble
09-24-2004, 01:13 PM
Carbon monoxide (partially burned hydrocarbon molecules) is a pollutant. Carbon dioxide (completely burned hydrocarbon molecules) had not been considered a pollutant until the non-proven greehouse gas theory gained popularity. We don't know what causes global warming (if there actually is such a thing). We've already destroyed an entire industry (refrigerant 12 / freon)over a non-proven theory and it looks like we're going to contnue to react to a non-existent or unproven threat to our health.

Dr. Eagle
09-25-2004, 08:35 PM
Carbon monoxide (partially burned hydrocarbon molecules) is a pollutant. Carbon dioxide (completely burned hydrocarbon molecules) had not been considered a pollutant until the non-proven greehouse gas theory gained popularity. We don't know what causes global warming (if there actually is such a thing). We've already destroyed an entire industry (refrigerant 12 / freon)over a non-proven theory and it looks like we're going to contnue to react to a non-existent or unproven threat to our health.
Yep, but it keeps the professors and NASA folks employed... I think it is another example of how Kleeforneeah has gone over the edge... :mad:

TheLurker
09-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Yep, but it keeps the professors and NASA folks employed... I think it is another example of how Kleeforneeah has gone over the edge... :mad:
Kalefoornia went over the edge a long time ago.
Whenever there is a news report or article about Global Warming the reporters always quote or say the information came from Scientists or concerned scientists. One thing you never see though is just who those scientists are or what their qualifications are to be making those comments.
The Professors and NASA folks are employed for other reasons.

Some Kind Of Monster
09-26-2004, 09:42 AM
I see the brown cloud over Phoenix every day but trust me, the one in Cali is much worse. It might as well be overcast in some parts all the time unless the wind blows right.

MsDrmr
09-26-2004, 02:07 PM
I see the brown cloud over Phoenix every day but trust me, the one in Cali is much worse. It might as well be overcast in some parts all the time unless the wind blows right.
I wish that were not true. IT is very bad here. Most children now in So. Cal are born with asthma. My son is one of them. The air is so bad, that sometimes at recess the kids play indoors for days at a time becuase they all get headaches and have trouble breathing. If there was one thing to hate about this usually perfect place....thats it. :(

Kim Hanson
09-26-2004, 02:19 PM
If you like to boat for 6 mths. out of the year Canada is the place, blue skies and it smell good also. Bad side is the focking snow, hate the chit and it brings cold.......I HATE THAT CHIT EVEN MORE :rollside: .......( . )( . ).......

mickeyfinn
09-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Don't know how much truth there is to this but one read somewhere that Dupont owned the patent for R12 and that the patent was due to expire soon. Most of the negative information and its effect on the environment were provided by Dupont by their own researchers. The theory I heard was that banning the manufacturing of R12 was a goal of Dupont since the patent was expiring and they had the "R134" ready to come to market. The other side of the story I'm hearing is that the R134 is proving to be more of an environmental hazard than the R12 but Dupont doesn't care about that since their patent started over again with the R134. Like I said don't know how much if any of this is true. I don't even remember at this point where I heard it but it does have the ring of something entirely within the realm of big business.

jtmarten
09-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Back when I was in college taking Organic Chemistry, our instructor wanted us to write a publishable paper every other week. One that I did was on the depletion of the Ozone layer, or the lack thereof. The biggest contributor according to those 'unnamed scientists' was CFC's (ChloroFluoroCarbons), but the CFC's, even the smallest ones were far too heavy to get high enough in the atmosphere to react with O- . They claimed the depletion of the O- would lower the rate of formation of O3 which is Ozone. Ozone is split into O2 and O- by UV(b) photons, the O- then can attack another O2 molecule to form Ozone again. There never was a true 'Ozone Layer', Ozone is kinda like clouds, moves around and has thin and thick areas.
Jeff
Meridian Analytical

Seadog
09-27-2004, 06:32 AM
I love the part where they said that it was a pity that the industry was not willing to work with them. They have never worked with the industry. They dictate that manufacturers 'invent' technology. It is like the electric car stupidity. The auto industry showed how they could achieve better results at half the cost and in a way that would not be just for the rich celebrity environmentalists. CARB would not even consider it. No one is willing to buy electric cars and it is the 'industry's' fault.