PDA

View Full Version : Wich boat is better

BLOWN HOWARD
09-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Which boat would you prefer a 30 Spectre or a 29 DCB and Why? Or a 32 skater?

BoatFloating
09-24-2004, 08:22 PM
Which boat would you prefer a 30 Spectre or a 29 DCB and Why? Or a 32 skater?
32 Skater... Go big or go home. I thnk the Spectre and the 29 DCB are both top notch boats. It depends if you like to have storage room and space in the boat go with the 29 DCB if you want a true tunnel with no storage go with the Spectre.

BLOWN HOWARD
09-24-2004, 08:26 PM
Spectre is meant to do one thing then with no storage huh? Do they share any of the same bottoms

BoatFloating
09-24-2004, 08:34 PM
Spectre is meant to do one thing then with no storage huh? Do they share any of the same bottoms
No they don't share the same bottom but the Spectre bottom looks alot like a Skater bottom. When I say no storage I mean no storage. Unless they changed some things on the new ones in front of the divers and passenger it's blocked off and the only storage is in the side gunnels. My buddy will tell you that my 29' has more storage than his 36' Spectre. Now his is faster and will run better in big blue so it's all what you want it for????

MR FLYIN VEE
09-24-2004, 09:35 PM
well you know our answer.. But I'm sure the other is good also. :)

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-24-2004, 09:37 PM
sorry the last post was mine.. :hammerhea

Charley
09-24-2004, 10:01 PM
My buddy will tell you that my 29' has more storage than his 36' Spectre.
he is alot more than yer buddy Rocky!
Ok.. 1 big difference is that the DCB is a canopy boat... add $15-20k for that feature, and since the 30' spectre isn't available in a canopy offering, its hard to compare apples to apples...Blown Howard.... If the Money difference is left out of the equation, cause the DCB is going to be more$$... I have but 1 question.... you gonna use it at the lake or in the Ocean? .... I say this because Ocean type rough water is the only Place The Spectre is a better boat than the DCB.... In every other way the DCB is a superior boat. That is NOT to say a 30' spectre isn't a very good boat... But IMHO the Mach 29 has the Spectre beat in styling, quality, efficiency, handling, interior storage, ammenities, resale, features and freeboard.. the spectre will outperform a mach in Ocean Grade water, but 99% of the days at Havasu the Mach will be just as good of a warrior and It's a better handling and more efficient bottom. The 30' spectres are a good buy when you can get one 1-2 years old with HP500's or 300x's for under 100k... you will not find a used F-29 in that price range

XtrmWakeborder
09-24-2004, 10:03 PM
Hmm since i'd most likely boat at havasu, i'd go with the an open bow 29' dcb. More room than the others and plenty fast "worlds fastest bowrider." But if you play in the ocean deffinately one of the other two.

andy01
09-24-2004, 10:52 PM
I say this because Ocean type rough water is the only Place The Spectre is a better boat than the DCB.... In every other way the DCB is a superior boat. That is NOT to say a 30' spectre isn't a very good boat... But IMHO the Mach 29 has the Spectre beat in styling, quality, efficiency, handling, interior storage, ammenities, resale, features and freeboard.. the spectre will outperform a mach in Ocean Grade water, but 99% of the days at Havasu the Mach will be just as good of a warrior and It's a better handling and more efficient bottom. The 30' spectres are a good buy when you can get one 1-2 years old with HP500's or 300x's for under 100k... you will not find a used F-29 in that price range
Quality, how so? When I looked at the rigging on the 04 30 Spectre it looked as good as my DCB that was rigged by GT.
Efficiency, isn't there somebody on these boards that has a 29' with 300's and it will bairly get to 100. (that's what I heard, never rode in it or saw it first hand) A Spectre 30 with 300's has run over 110.
Resale. DCB's have always held their value very very well, it's the best built boat on the west coast, hands down! A Spectre 1 or 2 years old four under 100K? There is a 04 30 with hp's for 149k and an 04 w/300's for 125k for sale right now. TS sold his 6 year old 30 for some where around 85k (that's what it was listed for) I wouldn't think that is to bad. 29's haven't been around long enough to find out where they will be in 6 years.
Not arguing with you "Mr. Big" just my side....
This is the way I see it. If you want THE baddest Havasu and all around fast great looking bling bling boat for the river, there is no other better built boat for the river then the F29. If you want a nice ocean/Havasu boat the Spectre is a hard boat to beat. I look at both boats as being totally different. I would never take a F29 in the ocean every weekend and I wouldn't want a river boat that didn't have the under deck for a full day on lake. The thirty has storage under and behind the back seat. Plus it has the engine area if it's setup with o/b's. But the under deck is nice for the river. It all depends on what you like and want out of a boat.
I think both boats are great.........
F29 = River
Spectre 30 = ocean
And to answer your question I wouldn't buy any thing that you listed. I would buy the new 32 Spectre, it is one sweet ride!
Andy

BoatFloating
09-24-2004, 11:05 PM
Quality, how so? When I looked at the rigging on the 04 30 Spectre it looked as good as my DCB that was rigged by GT.
Efficiency, isn't there somebody on these boards that has a 29' with 300's and it will bairly get to 100. (that's what I heard, never rode in it or saw it first hand) A Spectre 30 with 300's has run over 110.
Resale. DCB's have always held their value very very well, it's the best built boat on the west coast, hands down! A Spectre 1 or 2 years old four under 100K? There is a 04 30 with hp's for 149k and an 04 w/300's for 125k for sale right now. TS sold his 6 year old 30 for some where around 85k (that's what it was listed for) I wouldn't think that is to bad. 29's haven't been around long enough to find out where they will be in 6 years.
Not arguing with you "Mr. Big" just my side....
This is the way I see it. If you want THE baddest Havasu and all around fast great looking bling bling boat for the river, there is no other better built boat for the river then the F29. If you want a nice ocean/Havasu boat the Spectre is a hard boat to beat. I look at both boats as being totally different. I would never take a F29 in the ocean every weekend and I wouldn't want a river boat that didn't have the under deck for a full day on lake. The thirty has storage under and behind the back seat. Plus it has the engine area if it's setup with o/b's. But the under deck is nice for the river. It all depends on what you like and want out of a boat.
I think both boats are great.........
F29 = River
Spectre 30 = ocean
And to answer your question I wouldn't buy any thing that you listed. I would buy the new 32 Spectre, it is one sweet ride!
Andy
Ole 3DO got you brain washed huh?

Kilrtoy
09-24-2004, 11:25 PM
This is getting deep and I am learning alot

Havasu Hangin'
09-25-2004, 05:13 AM
...But IMHO the Mach 29 has the Spectre beat in styling, quality, efficiency, handling, interior storage, ammenities, resale, features and freeboard..
DCB makes a Mach 29? :idea:

Havasu Cig
09-25-2004, 08:08 AM
Skater hands down. :cool:

Charley
09-25-2004, 11:19 AM
No offense Andy, but GT rigged it DCB didn't
Andy, All boats are a lil faster in the Ocean... Anyone know of a blended Spectre running 110 on Havasu last month? I have heard that the The Carps 29(100 MPH DCB) got thier X dimension dropped 2 notches by Lakeland in the interest of "No more issues" ... It's not really setup for top speed... I also think the F-29 is better suited/designed for I/O setup , and the Spectre is exactly the opposite... I believe it is a better Blender boat so... whos to say?? Keep in mind Tom slick had a 2 x 600 HP spectre that ran 110-115 tops .. My 2 x 650 HP F-29 Ran 126 ... Also does anyone know of a 30' spectre running 155MPH?? Jim's F-29 did .... hence my opinion "More efficient"
A Spectre 1 or 2 years old four under 100K?
Ok I'll retract this one...sorry... But You mention slicks boat...and the price it sold (it was well worth that price!!!) also: I found a 2000 for $73k, a 1998 for $68k oh and a 99 with 525's and bravos for $99k Ohhh I just found a 2002 36 with whippled 500 efi's for 160k.. thats a good buy!!

UnionJack
09-25-2004, 11:26 AM
why not skater, I ran with a 30' in the delta with twin 525's a #6's and he was doing 121, and the boat was for sale for 289k, and it was a 2004

Charley
09-25-2004, 11:30 AM
why not skater, I ran with a 30' in the delta with twin 525's a #6's and he was doing 121, and the boat was for sale for 289k, and it was a 2004
Is this the new flat deck??? If so Good lookin boat, good speed, good buy
you will give up alot of "River" creature comforts that DCB offers and I'm guessing it has some porpoise in there somewhere too. Still "That Skater" would be my 2nd choice ;)

Charley
09-25-2004, 11:33 AM
Oh and the DCB would probably be cheaper

tomcat
09-25-2004, 11:38 AM
As soon as my engines are pass the break in period, I will let you know. DCB did a open bow that ran 100, but mine is a closed bow and a lot lighter so the number should be a couple mph faster. If you really want a fast outboard boat go 28 Skater, blows Spectre's away.

Havasu Cig
09-25-2004, 11:42 AM
I think you guys need to think about what a specific boat is rigged for if your going to judge rigging. I have cralwed around more than a few Skaters and they are rigged lets say a little more stout than your west coast boats. My Cig is the same way. Look in the bilge and you won't see zip ties. You will see cusion clamps every 8-10 inches or so all secured to the stringers. you will also see a rigging tube instead of just a hole cut through the back seat. My DCB's where great boats but I had to go around tightening screws and bolts after a rough day on Havasu. On the Cig I can beat the shit out of it in the ocean and nothing comes loose. Like I said they are rigged for different conditions.
I think efficiency would have to go to Skater as well. DSM sold a 36 tall deck with a cabin with 500 EFIs and #6's. The boat I believe ran 113 mph. That is fast for a 36' boat with #6's. A 28 Skater with 300x's will run in the 120 range. That is impressive. If you look at the weight of their hulls because of the material they use it is incredible how light they are. Agai the boat is built for a different purpose than a west coast boat. My Cig has composite stringers wrapped in Kevlar and the hull is completely vacuum bagged. Are any west coast builders doing this?
I think if Dave wanted to build a boad for ocean use he would dow things different. His market is lake boats not ocean boats. :wink:

Havasu Cig
09-25-2004, 11:44 AM
As soon as my engines are pass the break in period, I will let you know. DCB did a open bow that ran 100, but mine is a closed bow and a lot lighter so the number should be a couple mph faster. If you really want a fast outboard boat go 28 Skater, blows Spectre's away.
I would be suprised if you get over 100 with a 29 with OB's. My 26 with 280 2.5's ran a best of 106 with nothing on board and almost no fuel. It was a 95-100 mph boat depending on conditions and how it was loaded.

Charley
09-25-2004, 11:50 AM
Bryan's 26 with 300x's has seen 109 ..... I also have heard there is a 29 with 3 x 300x's seeing 118-120! The Havasu Hot Laps 28 Skater is in the same neighborhood If I remember right....It just depends some boats, same model, same power are faster... who knows

Charley
09-25-2004, 11:53 AM
I think you guys need to think about what a specific boat is rigged for if your going to judge rigging. I have cralwed around more than a few Skaters and they are rigged lets say a little more stout than your west coast boats. My Cig is the same way. Look in the bilge and you won't see zip ties. You will see cusion clamps every 8-10 inches or so all secured to the stringers. you will also see a rigging tube instead of just a hole cut through the back seat. My DCB's where great boats but I had to go around tightening screws and bolts after a rough day on Havasu. On the Cig I can beat the shit out of it in the ocean and nothing comes loose. Like I said they are rigged for different conditions.
I think efficiency would have to go to Skater as well. DSM sold a 36 tall deck with a cabin with 500 EFIs and #6's. The boat I believe ran 113 mph. That is fast for a 36' boat with #6's. A 28 Skater with 300x's will run in the 120 range. That is impressive. If you look at the weight of their hulls because of the material they use it is incredible how light they are. Agai the boat is built for a different purpose than a west coast boat. My Cig has composite stringers wrapped in Kevlar and the hull is completely vacuum bagged. Are any west coast builders doing this?
I think if Dave wanted to build a boad for ocean use he would dow things different. His market is lake boats not ocean boats. :wink:
Excellent Post Chris, and right on the money

Charley
09-25-2004, 11:55 AM
Tommy... check yer PM's ;)

Havasu Cig
09-25-2004, 11:57 AM
From Skater's site...
LENGTH: 28'
BEAM: 8'4"
HEIGHT TO TOP OF FAIRING: 56"
WEIGHT: 2,100 LBS
MAX LOAD CAPACITY: 3,500 LBS
CONSTRUCTION: 100 % VACUUM-BAGGED HAND LAY-UP
ENGINE CONFIGURATION: V-6 OUTBOARDS
28 RACE PLEASUREĀ–BASIC BOAT INCLUDES
This world and national championship-winning boat is the finest handling twin outboard-powered performance catamaran on the water. Whether you love to soar off wavetops or scream down a glassy river, the Skater 28 can do it all. Features include high-backed race bolsters with seating for five, a molded-in windscreen and console between the front seats. For strength and durability, the Skater 28 is built with vacuum-bagged epoxy resins, S-glass and balsa coring throughout. Six full cross bulkheads and five longitudinals provide structural support and the hull and deck are bonded around the entire perimeter. Owners have a choice of fuel-tank capacities and the boat comes with 2" stainless flush fuel fills, pickups, senders and vents, plus a full array of hardware. The boat comes standard with a rear fiberglass hatch that raises for ample stowage and easy maintenance.
Outboard Engine Configurations Estimated Speeds*
2 x 2.5 Mercury efi offshore 112-116 mph
2 x Mercury 300 118-120 mph
If the Havasu Hot Laps boat is only running 118-120 something does not add up.

UnionJack
09-25-2004, 12:25 PM
I agree with charley, the DCB is a lake boat that is just bitchen, I can't wait to see the new corbra, 29' motified "V", it was designed by the same guy who designed the f-29

Charley
09-25-2004, 12:44 PM
UJ.... is it a canopy boat?

UnionJack
09-25-2004, 01:08 PM
Yes it is, and the I heard they are the same as dave's

Charley
09-25-2004, 01:20 PM
That is interesting .... :cool:

UnionJack
09-25-2004, 01:34 PM
call me 909-900-8180