PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ? What engine for the jet?

hydrostream'n
09-25-2004, 09:19 AM
I'm looking into one of the 22' custom boats like Ultra, Laser, Lavey, etc. It's going to be a jet and I'd like to be in the 60mph range to start. What engine should I be getting for the most bang for the buck and future go fast add-ons? I don't have to have EFI since I'm not in Calif (I'm in PA), but if thats the way to go I will. So far it looks like the boat companies are selling the 496 or the 502 for jet applications, but I have no background on these motors (sorry, been an outboard guy most of my life). I don't have to go Mercury Marine, custom builds are ok for me. Any input and advice would be much appreciated. I'm also headed to the book store for that book by Dennis Moore on BBC marine engines, but I don't know if it covers applications for Jets. Thanks again for all the help and please don't hold my east coast location against me :rollside:

hydrostream'n
09-25-2004, 09:21 AM
forgot a question, will all these type of custom boat companies allow me to put my choice of power in the boat, or do I need to pick from their catalog of engines?

Some Kind Of Monster
09-25-2004, 10:21 PM
I am guessing you are looking for a new boat and not a classic? A 22 foot jet is a big boat. You aren't going to see 60mph with a stock motor.

hydrostream'n
09-26-2004, 05:52 AM
I do realize it's probably not going to go 60 out of the box, but I saw this review from ***boat about the 22' Ultra Stealth:
"absolutely one of the most fun boats to drive of the 18 we tested. That’s saying something, for a boat that didn’t even break 60 miles an hour (57.5 at 4, 800 rpm)"
I hope to be close out of the box based on this review, and even faster when I get crazier with the motor down te road.
I guess my questions are...
Will all the custom built motors out there work with a jet?
Will copanies like Ultra and Laser let me use a custom motor or build theirs to my specifications (actually a builders)?
What HP/TQ level in a jet will get me close to 60 and what motor will let me build it up further in the future without lots of issues (seen threads about some motors being to difficult to build up and the recomendation was to swap out the motor for somethng more buildable). I'm also not limited by emmisions regulations so a carb'd motor will work for me.
Just looking for some recomendations before I follow up with the boat companies. Thanks in advance,

Infomaniac
09-26-2004, 07:29 AM
Yes Ultra and others will let you use a custom engine. You need to ask them what the rigging charge will be if you do not buy an engine from them. They will want to know how complete the engine will be. Mounts, exhaust, accessories, senders, wiring harness etc.
Just get a big cube engine 540 CID + and it will make plenty of power.
If plenty is not good enough then a supercharged engine is in order.
I might know a good engine builder that is very reasonable on pricing. :D

RandyH
09-26-2004, 08:49 AM
John will provide you with Custom motor choices. He sold me a 540. Plenty of power for the Stealth. Or buy one from DNE or Infomaniac. Just stay with somebody who understands jets and the best cam profiles for them.

XtrmWakeborder
09-26-2004, 11:14 AM
I think the 22 stealth is a sweet ass jet boat, if i remember correctly a pro charged mildly built 502 ran 79mph. Also i think Johns boat is up for sale "22 stealth with tunnel ram" you might want to check that out on ultras website.

hydrostream'n
09-26-2004, 06:19 PM
Yes Ultra and others will let you use a custom engine. You need to ask them what the rigging charge will be if you do not buy an engine from them. They will want to know how complete the engine will be. Mounts, exhaust, accessories, senders, wiring harness etc.
Just get a big cube engine 540 CID + and it will make plenty of power.
If plenty is not good enough then a supercharged engine is in order.
I might know a good engine builder that is very reasonable on pricing. :D
Infomaniac,
So the 496HO and 502 are really not going to give me the power I need in a jet for close to 60? Aprox. what do I need HP/TQ to get this thing moving 60 or more? I love the idea of a hugh cube motor so what ever you think will do it, I'd l'd like to keep everything under the cover so I think a supercharger is out, I'll need all motor. What would the 540ci you could build for me put out? Thanks in advance!!!
RandyH,
What speeds are you seeing in your 21' with the 540? What HP/TQ do you think you have? Thanks in advance!!! BTW - is there a web site for DNE?

Infomaniac
09-27-2004, 07:05 AM
Randy,
A N/A 540 at 5,600 - 5,800 RPM's or so will make 660 HP and 700 ft/lbs. A little more if CNC'd cylinder heads are used.

RandyH
09-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Hydro,
My 540 is running 560 HP. Would have to look at the dyno sheets again to tell you the torque. Uncorked on the exhaust she will run right at 70. Hit 73 this weekend but that was downstream. I think the 21 is going to be heavier so the 22 might even do better. You might also consider having the pump and bowl gone thru from stock. MPD is who did mine. I think you would find him well recommended on this board.
RandyH

flat broke
09-27-2004, 12:29 PM
The previous recommendations are basically what I would say... if you want custom, check with Infomaniac on the boards, or Dave at DNE(thats what I run). Now if you are thinking "buy an out of the box deal then improve..." buy the 502. The 496 is not going to lend itself to much in the way of customization outside of a supercharger, and then you'd better opt for the mag HO version. For the duckets, checking with John about having one of the Merlin crate 540s "marinized" might not be a bad idea either.
Chris