PDA

View Full Version : Need yet another quick answer

Some Kind Of Monster
09-26-2004, 05:01 PM
I marked my heads when they were removes as to which one went to which side. The marks were removed when the heads were dipped and now that I look at them I can't tell them apart. Is there a difference between the sides?

396_Z
09-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Chevy = nope
Everything else, I don't think so

Some Kind Of Monster
09-26-2004, 05:12 PM
Awesome - it is a Chevy thanks!

GofastRacer
09-26-2004, 07:52 PM
As long as you're not reusing copper head gaskets it don't matter!..

Some Kind Of Monster
09-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Bought a brand new Fel-Pro set!

victorfb
09-26-2004, 09:51 PM
good to go!

LakesOnly
09-27-2004, 09:16 AM
I marked my heads...The marks were removed when the heads were dipped and now...I can't tell them apart. Is there a difference between the sides?
If you mount any accessories to the front or rear of your heads, BE SURE to check the threaded accessory holes at the respective mounting locations PRIOR to installing the heads. It may be possible that some holes are damaged (broken studs, etc.) and the heads were mounted to as specific side of the engine so as to circumvent a thread repair prior to installation.
LO

Some Kind Of Monster
09-27-2004, 11:10 AM
If you mount any accessories to the front or rear of your heads, BE SURE to check the threaded accessory holes at the respective mounting locations PRIOR to installing the heads. It may be possible that some holes are damaged (broken studs, etc.) and the heads were mounted to as specific side of the engine so as to circumvent a thread repair prior to installation.
LO
Too late :D Everything looks good though...

scott williams
09-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Hey if anybody wants some trivia, years ago I discovered that cyl heads and blocks took up a slight amount of magnetism while in use, unless your heads have been electronically magnafluxed you can determine which ones went on which side of the motor by using a compass to match the magnetic deflection to the blocks deflection, also one of those inductive meters that tell you amps in a wire works by matching the needle deflection. Like I said trivia.
Scott W.

GofastRacer
09-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Interesting but it don't mean anything as far as sealing goes!. ;)

Fiat48
09-27-2004, 07:18 PM
I knew I shouldn't have gone to aluminum heads! Dang and I got a compass too.

GofastRacer
09-27-2004, 07:20 PM
I knew I shouldn't have gone to aluminum heads! Dang and I got a compass too.
:D :D :D :D

Some Kind Of Monster
09-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Hey if anybody wants some trivia, years ago I discovered that cyl heads and blocks took up a slight amount of magnetism while in use, unless your heads have been electronically magnafluxed you can determine which ones went on which side of the motor by using a compass to match the magnetic deflection to the blocks deflection, also one of those inductive meters that tell you amps in a wire works by matching the needle deflection. Like I said trivia.
Scott W.
Damn, I put them on the wrong sides. :hammerhea