PDA

View Full Version : Perko wiring

phebus
09-27-2004, 06:51 PM
The current setup in my boat is a Perko switch, with the boat battery going to #1 on the Perko switch, and the stereo batteries going to #2 on the Perko switch. Whichever position it is in (1 or 2) is what is powering everything through the common. Or it can be on all, where both banks are powering everything.
I would like to isolate my stereo system and the two batteries that power it, so they are dedicated to the stereo only, and the other battery is for starting and boat acces. only. I want the alternator to charge the boat battery only, and will run the stereo batteries as a total loss system that is charged by a battery charger in the evening.
What would be the best way to wire and switch a system I described? My assumption is that I would use two Perko swiches that are totally independent of each other, and would basically just be on/off switches for their respective circuts, but I would like to see how others have done it.
Thanks

ROZ
09-27-2004, 11:16 PM
By leaving the perko on "1" aren't you already accomplishing the task?
Or why use the perko at all if the stereo batteries are not to be hooked up? Wire the batt's parallel with a hot lead to fused distribution via a circuit breaker from the positive of one battery, and run the ground from the opposite battery to the ground distribution...

ROZ
09-27-2004, 11:39 PM
Here's a good model for you to follow... 72 16volt battereis and 3 ohio generator 285 amp alternators 115,200 watts of power :D
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3430/54248180Amps-Big.jpg

phebus
09-28-2004, 05:49 AM
By leaving the perko on "1" aren't you already accomplishing the task?
Or why use the perko at all if the stereo batteries are not to be hooked up? Wire the batt's parallel with a hot lead to fused distribution via a circuit breaker from the positive of one battery, and run the ground from the opposite battery to the ground distribution...
When it is set to "1", everything coming off "common" is powered by the starting battery, and "2" powers nothing. When it is set to "2", everything coming off "common" is powered by the stereo batteries, and "1" powers nothing. When it is set to "all" both sets of batteries power everything through "common". The Perko switch just feeds whatever source you choose, out through the "common".
What I would like to have, is the starting battery running the boat and accesories, and being charged by the alternator, and the stereo batteries running the stereo only, and recieving no charge at all. I also would like it switchable, so the entire system could be switched off while not being used, eliminating any draw from the batteries.
I know that I could just use seperate "on/off" switches and keep the two systems independent, but I remember someone posting a trick way to do this (might hanve been HH), that let the two systems work independent but would also allow you to power one system off the other if you really had to (ie: starting battery was dead you could start off stereo batteries without having to jump it).

Havasu Hangin'
09-28-2004, 06:04 AM
I know that I could just use seperate "on/off" switches and keep the two systems independent, but I remember someone posting a trick way to do this (might hanve been HH), that let the two systems work independent but would also allow you to power one system off the other if you really had to (ie: starting battery was dead you could start off stereo batteries without having to jump it).
It may have been me. On my last boat, I ran two perko switches. However, instead of wiring the two "commons" together, I think you would get the desired effect if you tied the "2's" together.
That way, if you are running with both switches on "1", then they are independant.
If you need to tie the system together, you can do so by "both" or "2"...depending on which batteries you want the commons to see.

Evo22
09-28-2004, 07:51 AM
HH is correct thats how we do it when we do twin motors dual perkos

Evo22
09-28-2004, 08:02 AM
If you would like me to draw a diagram I can, let me know
Brian

phebus
09-28-2004, 08:25 AM
I'm pretty sure I follow what HH said, but a diagram wouldn't hurt.
Thanks

ROZ
09-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Sorry, I missunderstood what you were trying to accomplish. Like Evo said, you want the twin motor 2 Perko diagram. Perko has it on their site:
http://www.perko.com/images/bat3.gifhttp://www.perko.com/images/bat2.gif

Evo22
09-28-2004, 10:08 AM
thanks roz i thought they had it on there but didnt check yet :D

phebus
09-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Roz, for future reference, where on the Perko website do you find the diagrams? I went to their site, and can't find them.
Thanks

ROZ
09-28-2004, 11:51 AM
You have to go the the old HTML catalog. It's written in small letters on their home page. Once you're in the old catalog, select the catagory of the item. On the next page the switches will showup. At the top of the page is a link for perko diagrams. :)

ROZ
09-28-2004, 11:52 AM
thanks roz i thought they had it on there but didnt check yet :D
I totally forgot about it until you mentioned "twin motors"... :)

PHX ATC
09-28-2004, 07:07 PM
I am amazed once again.
I stand humbled before the KING.
ROZ is the king.
Long live ROZ.
PS What was all that mumbo jumbo language you just spoke? :squiggle: :D

Havasu Hangin'
09-28-2004, 07:27 PM
ROZ is the king.
Yes...Roz is the king (it's good to be the king).

ROZ
09-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Yes...Roz is the king (it's good to be the king).
I'm just the town drunk...lmao...
HH is the man!
Thanks for the kind words, Toby. You're going to be here in a few weeks, aren't you :cool:

PHX ATC
09-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Should be.........although, our casa that we stay at is falling through as we speak.
I'll keep you in the loop.
If not October, then probably beginning of next year. Either way, you've a feed bag to enjoy and some golden sudsy malt beverages to chase the vermin away, courtesy of me! :)

phebus
09-30-2004, 07:23 PM
O.K., now that I know the best way to do it, someone questioned as to why I would do it. My thought is that if I seperate the systems, my alternator won't be working as hard trying to charge all the batteries (when it can't anyway), and my lights won't dim out on the hard bass notes. Wired right, I willl still be able to bridge the two systems if I need to, and the stereo system will have a dedicated battery bank that isn't working to do anything else. Also, I won't have to remember (I tend to forget) to do any switching of the Perko switch.
Comments? -HH, Roz, Evo22, BF. You've all been very helpfull. Thanks

BoatFloating
09-30-2004, 08:10 PM
That's the best way to do it. Just charge the stereo batteries overnight.... ;)

ROZ
09-30-2004, 10:43 PM
http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/57806.jpg
When no less than 200amps will do :D
Powermaster also makes a 350amp alternator :D

phebus
10-01-2004, 05:24 AM
When you go with a big alternator, how is it regulated? How many amps are the batteries actually getting charged with while running? How many amps can a battery take?

Lightning
10-01-2004, 08:32 AM
I have the dual Perko setup in my boat, one switch is for the stereo batteries and the other for the starting batteries.

phebus
10-01-2004, 09:50 AM
I have the dual Perko setup in my boat, one switch is for the stereo batteries and the other for the starting batteries.
Do you have them connected together as well?