PDA

View Full Version : Winter boat starage

NorCalCat
09-28-2004, 09:00 AM
As winter is coming fast, and in Northern California we get more rain than Southern California. I am starting to think about what to do to winterize my boat as it sits on the side of my house. My tarp lets moisture in as most do, and I know this is the perfect recipe for mold. What do some of you suggest. Also, gas tanks, full or empty? I will lay it up for 5 months so there is a long standing time. I was thinking about doing one of those shrink wraps. Don't know how much, but could take care of the moisture issues.
What do you all suggest?

bilgewiper
09-28-2004, 09:34 AM
I live in N. Ca. also and all I have done to boats that I store outside is use a canvas cover and then a blue plastic tarp (supported to let rain off). I also put a drop light in the boat with a 60w bulb running 24-7. If it's going to be in the 20's (really rare here) I throw another drop light in the engine compartment. I also check the bulb at least once a week. Usually just verifiying that there is no frost on certain areas of the blue tarp (such as the high spots where the heat goes). All the bulb has to do is keep the insides of your boat a few degrees warmer than the outside and and mold won't grow.........at least it has not in MY boats that I store that way.

Second "PLACE"
09-28-2004, 10:40 AM
I live in So. Cal, but here is a sugestion:
Go to your local Home Depot or hardware store, and ask them for a
tub of "DAMP OUT". It is about the size of a margarine tub (1 lb.) and is
full of the white granules of moisture absorbant. Buy 3-4 of them depending
on you boat's size. Before covering the boat with plastic, simply place a few
of these tubs on the floor of your boat, on top of a piece of cardboard to prevent leaking onto your boats' carpet. Make sure to check them about
once a month, as the fill up with moisture fairly quik. I have found this to be
an EXCELLENT moisture/mold barrier in the off season. hope that helps.

simple
09-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Good idea with the light bulbs. Also on the blue tarp(s).
1/ In addition, don't forget to drain the block.
2/ Remove the sparkplugs & spray WD40 in the cylinder & put them back.
3/ Spray WD40 all over the engine compartment
4/ If possible, take all of your cushions out & put them in your garagre or house. This way no rot will set in & no soil in the cushions.

HCS
09-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Kinda sucks. I was thinking the samething. I'll probably get one or two more
times out and that's it. Time to put the boat away for the winter.
Mine fits in my garage so I don't have the tarp problem. If you can get some
kind of canopy to put over your boat and then cover it with tarps would
probably be your best bet.
The fuel deal. Iv'e tried both full and empty. Didn't have much luck with either
one. I found out the best thing to do is to fire your boat up once a month.
Or about every 6 weeks.

Her454
09-28-2004, 11:19 AM
I live in So. Cal, but here is a sugestion:
Go to your local Home Depot or hardware store, and ask them for a
tub of "DAMP OUT". It is about the size of a margarine tub (1 lb.) and is
full of the white granules of moisture absorbant. Buy 3-4 of them depending
on you boat's size. Before covering the boat with plastic, simply place a few
of these tubs on the floor of your boat, on top of a piece of cardboard to prevent leaking onto your boats' carpet. Make sure to check them about
once a month, as the fill up with moisture fairly quik. I have found this to be
an EXCELLENT moisture/mold barrier in the off season. hope that helps.
I did this when I had to keep the boat outside for one winter and it worked great. You can also get it at any RV dealership.

billet racing
09-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Put inside my warehouse. Has temp and humidity controls. Parked next to stacks of wine. the boat does not seem to mind.
Use it. thats the best way.

NorCalCat
09-28-2004, 01:04 PM
Put inside my warehouse. Has temp and humidity controls. Parked next to stacks of wine. the boat does not seem to mind.
Use it. thats the best way.
Is that an offer?

Sweet Addiction
09-28-2004, 01:17 PM
I bought my boat from a Donzi dealer and they left a plastic tarp in it that covers my whole boat. I think its a trailerable cover that they put on the boats when they come from the manufacturer to the dealer, like the ones you see when their on the 18 wheelers or somthing. So my point is, if you can find one of those they work great for keeping out the water. My boat is outside all the time and is bone dry and never molds unless its covered wet. Which I highly refrain from.
Other than covering your boat, draining the block, and adding some stablizer to your fuel your boat will be fine. Oh, like mentioned above, its always good to run your boat at least once a month. The more you use them the better they will treat you.

NorCalCat
09-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Looking to get a quote from
http://www.dr-shrink.com/

billet racing
09-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Might consider some space. Usually a slower time in the whse and would have space for a few boats. would charge about 50 cents per foot. Must be out by end of March as we get busy.