PDA

View Full Version : Lifting Trailer Bunks

Chestah Cheetah
07-25-2001, 09:46 AM
The previous idiot that owned my boat got a newer double axle and welded the bunk supports too low on the trailer. Now the boats keel is touching the trailer. I don't like to drive the boat back on to the trailer because it hits it, the keel shows wear. I'm thinking of adding another roller underneath the keel in the front but I would also like to raise the bunks. I have two options that I thought of: make 1 1/2 inch spacers (aluminum?) to lift under the bunks on all 4 corners, or just double up on the wooden bunks. What works best? Any other ideas? Thanks fellas!

mario
07-25-2001, 10:01 AM
I think I would double up on the bunks. If you used spacers would the old bolts be long enought or would you need to buy new.
mario

Chestah Cheetah
07-25-2001, 10:08 AM
Mario, I went an bought new bolts in anticipation, they would need to be replaced for either technique.

beached1
07-25-2001, 10:42 AM
I had the same problem Chestah. I just doubled up on the runners and used longer lag bolts.

Chestah Cheetah
07-25-2001, 12:20 PM
Beached1, any special technique used to double up? Did you just put plain old wood underneath the existing bunks and thats it? Also, what is the best way to lift the boat high enough to do this, car jacks? Placement? Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

Hustler
07-25-2001, 12:36 PM
CC, iwould think the spacers would work just fine and probably much easyer. has anyone ever moved the axles on there trailer? i want to move mine back, the tounge weight on my trailer is very light( i can pick it upwith one hand) i wondering if it is really that hard to do?
Huster

beached1
07-25-2001, 01:25 PM
I live close to the Polio Pond aka. Lake Paris, CA. So I just took it over there and launched the boat and pulled out my Dewalt corldless and started cuttin some new boards right in the parking lot. I used 2X6's and nailed them together with galvanized 8 penny, maybe it was 10 but the idea was to just get the boards to stay together for the re-carpet process. I then used new stainless lag bolts that were 3 1/2" long to fasten them to the L brakets on the trailer. The 3 1/2" lags are what are really holding the two pieces of wood together not so much as the nails. Just make sure the nails are "Hot Galvanized" They fight rust better than most others. I picked everything up at Ace Hardware, including the new outdoor carpet. Also, make sure you use stainless staples for the carpet. Good luck!

fryzll
07-25-2001, 04:17 PM
Hey Chestah, if you plan on keeping the boat and trailer for some time use preasure treated 2x6's or 2x4's (whichever size it uses), it will last alot longer. I used preasure treated 2x6's on mine and I also sealed them w/ resin, and then carpeted them using contact cement and stainless staples. I know it sound like overkill but hey who cares http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Anyway if it was me i would probably use the block method just because it might look a little cleaner.
Chris

dankirk
07-25-2001, 07:11 PM
Just be careful, when you use spacers or blocks to increase the height, the distance between the bunks decreases because the bunks are on an angle. Your boat may not fit correctly when your are done.

Havasu Hangin'
07-25-2001, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Hustler:
has anyone ever moved the axles on there trailer? i want to move mine back, the tounge weight on my trailer is very light( i can pick it upwith one hand) i wondering if it is really that hard to do?
Hustler,
Been there, done that. I had an old Trail-Rite that had about 40lbs of tounge weight- not good. It turned out that moving the axles was such a pain on an old, rusting trailer, that a new one wasn't much more.
Now I can pull 70MPH all day long, if I wasn't busy obeying the speed limit. http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy06.gif

Hustler
07-25-2001, 07:41 PM
HH,I've been thinking of just buying a new one i also have to replace tongue because they dont make my mc any more. who did you buy your trailer from and what did it cost you?

Havasu Hangin'
07-25-2001, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Hustler:
HH,I've been thinking of just buying a new one i also have to replace tongue because they dont make my mc any more. who did you buy your trailer from and what did it cost you?
Been there, done that. I needed a new surge system, and paint. Also, my axles were beginning to sag. The light tongue weight didn't help. I got my new one from Extreme (www.extremetrailers.com)-you can see my boat sittin' on it in front of the house on my profile web page.
E-mail me & I'll let you know what I worked out with them.

Chestah Cheetah
07-25-2001, 09:53 PM
Now you got me thinking Dankirk. I want to use spacers as opposed to new bunks because of less work and the simplicity, but I never thought of the bunks getting closer. If I went 1 1/2 inches up, how do I find out how much closer they move? I want to find aluminum spacers to stack up to my desired heighth. Thanks for everyones response.
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/confused24.gif

Chestah Cheetah
07-26-2001, 07:58 PM
Just by eyeing the bunks I came to the conclusion that they are to close to the strakes on the hull as it is, so even if they move 1/2 inch closer it would be to much. Now what? Cut and re-weld? I want to avoid this. Would moving the bow roller closer and adding another on the keel be sufficient? Thanks!

racingrascal
07-26-2001, 09:46 PM
Why don't you make the steel plate a little wider that the bunks bolt to? The boat will be sitting on them so even if they are off to the side a little bit it still wont affect it ahole lot once the boat is on the trailer. Cutting and welding could be a pain in the as* because you would have to pull the boat off the trailer and I don't think most launch ramps have a 220 plug for a welder.I would look in to a flat plate to make the mount for the bunk wider and then I wouldn't stack boards or aluminum I would go to a machine shop (aluminum fabricating shop) and have a piece mild out of a block.
Just my .02
Andy

HBjet
07-27-2001, 09:44 AM
Chestah Cheetah, have you called a trailer shop to see what they would do? Just a thought. I don't know exactly what part of the trailer your boat is touching, but what about cutting and or relocating that piece lower and then plate it for the support it would need?
HBjet
Good Luck!

Chestah Cheetah
07-27-2001, 01:51 PM
HB, what I do need to do is make some time to take it down to a trailer shop and have them take a look. I just like to do it myself if possible.