PDA

View Full Version : Guest rules for your home (second home)

yeah,right
04-12-2006, 09:15 AM
All this talk about rules on boats got me thinking. I'm sure a lot of you have second homes (vacation homes). I've got one in Tahoe. Do you lend out your place? Do you have rules? Here are some of mine along with some things that piss me off about some of my friends and family.
Change the sheets- If you slept in one of my beds, even for only one night, put clean sheets on when your done.
Don't have your crap sprawled out all over the place- keep my place picked up. Remember, this is my home, respect it.
Don't bring tag-a-longs- whether I'm there or not. If you ask to use my place, that means you not everyone of your freeloading friends (unless of course you clear it with me first and agree to be responsible for your friends behavior)
No pets- why would you even think your dog is welcome to chew and piss on my couch while your out doing whatever.
Replace what you used- this means food and toiletries. I don't charge you to use my place. It isn't a hotel. I hate coming back to the place after lending it out to find my refrigerator, that I left stocked, empty and no toilet paper left.
Leave the place better than when you found it- empty the trash and clean up. There is nothing worse than coming back to a house that somebody left there half eaten mexican food in the trash can for weeks.
Clean out the sink- I don't want to see the toothpaste or whatever you left in there when I'm trying to brush my teeth.
Bring your own towels- I don't care how many I have, it never seems to be enough. Plus people seem to respect sh*t better when they paid for it.
If you use my place for more than a couple of days, call the maid and leave her some money. Again, I'm not running a hotel, so don't expect me to clean up after you.
Offer to help with anything it we're there together. I understand it's your vactation, but it's mine too. Don't expect me to wait on you.
Am I an azzhole for thinking this way?

ittybitycowgrl
04-12-2006, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=yeah,right]
These are more than reasonable rules for staying in someones home. They really go without saying for people who do respect other peoples things.
It is always nice to leave the home as if you were never there.
Might want to print your rules and post them on the bathroom mirror for future reference to those that do not have RESPECT.

havasurat27
04-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Our house in Havasu has only a few rules because if you give too many it overwhealms and then nothing gets attended to.
1. The guest bathroom is for you.....The Guest....You use it you clean it.
2. Change the sheets and wash the others.
3. Vaccuum your end of the house.
4. Nobody sits in my chair until after I have passed out.
5. Leave at least a dollar in the "This house doesn't run on friendship" jar sitting on the bar.
Anything other that would be extra credit and may be rewarded with a future invite.

yeah,right
04-12-2006, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=yeah,right]
These are more than reasonable rules for staying in someones home. They really go without saying for people who do respect other peoples things.
It is always nice to leave the home as if you were never there.
Might want to print your rules and post them on the bathroom mirror for future reference to those that do not have RESPECT.
You would think that most people would repect it enough. I'm going to print out a set of rules with a checklist. I think the one thing that bothers me the most is the bed sheets thing. I don't know why, I guess I just don't like the thought of sleeping in soembody elses dried up wet spot.

ittybitycowgrl
04-12-2006, 09:39 AM
You would think that most people would repect it enough. I'm going to print out a set of rules with a checklist. I think the one thing that bothers me the most is the bed sheets thing. I don't know why, I guess I just don't like the thought of sleeping in soembody elses dried up wet spot.
eeew. that's gross. But keep in mind, just because they checked it doesn't mean it's done. LOL
Gotta trust who you give the keys too as well.

Totally IncapASSitated
04-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Nope, you are nice enough to let them use it and they should leave it cleaner than when they got there.
I don't have many I would allow to use my place. It is a very few number that I would even consider this for.
You hit the nail on the head there Tom!!!
I like to emphasize that it is not a Vegas hotel room, so don't treat it like one!!!! The maid will not be stopping by shortly after you leave to clean up like your mom does for you!!!

MrsSigEpMock
04-12-2006, 09:51 AM
I have used a friend's house out at Havi, and their main rule is wash the sheets and towels. They have peeps throw the sheets in the wash as they pack up then in the dryer right before they leave that way, they know the sheets were washed because they are in the dryer waiting for them when they get there. Your rules are your rules, if they don't like them, they can fork over $$$ a night to stay at a hotel if they want maid service. You shouldn't have to maintain 2 households for friends' sake. Posting them is a good idea. Your Friends may appreciate knowing what to do to make you happy and willing to lend it to them again. Good luck!

ittybitycowgrl
04-12-2006, 09:52 AM
I hear Midlife Advantage will even pull your weeds from the front yard as a Thank you for letting him use your home for the weekend. Heck, he might even pull out a plant or too as well. LOL

havaduner
04-12-2006, 10:02 AM
I dont let ANYONE use my house when I am not there, nor will I stay in your house if you are not there. This also goes for boats. My list is short (and so is the list of people I let stay)
1. It's my house, so treat it better than you do yours
2. The guest bathroom is yours use it, not mine
3. Pick up after yourself, or my wife will give you stink eye all weekend.
4. Strip the bed, new sheets are in the closet.
5. Help out with the groceries, since your going to help eat them.
6. If you want to get invited back, make sure my beer fridge is well stocked!

havasurat27
04-12-2006, 10:17 AM
I forgot to include the beer fridge rule.

Midlife Advantage
04-12-2006, 10:22 AM
I hear Midlife Advantage will even pull your weeds from the front yard as a Thank you for letting him use your home for the weekend. Heck, he might even pull out a plant or too as well. LOL
while I was doing that, IBCG was inside scrubbing the toilets, washing sheets and towels, and dishes....like a good lil woman should! :)
No shit, it someone lets you use their house, and I have been blessed with a few friends who will, what idiot would not leave it cleaner than when you got there? The last day is for laundry, cleaning and any other stuff the owner mentioned needing doing. To me its just what yer paying in rent!
(and we stayed the hell outta the Master BR too)

Midlife Advantage
04-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Oh BTW, pics of the girls cleaning house in bikinis is a must!

prosthogod
04-12-2006, 01:53 PM
simple:bring food and liquor, buy food and liquor, and pay the $75 for the cleaning crew so we don't have to work the day we are leaving, oh ya, naked pictures.

ULTRA28
04-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Lots of good points. I agree with most of them. Especially the sheets one. I'm also real particular about the sink cleaning thing. I've got hammered copper sinks that will change color if you leave toothpaste in them. For the most part I haven't had any problems with people staying with us being a problem, but I can see where a checklist and set of rules of some sort would help.

SDLifesaver
04-12-2006, 03:45 PM
We have rented our house for the past 2 summers and in addition have friends stay with us alot of the times we are out there. We have been very lucky with people keeping the place clean and not damaging anything. What we do is keep our toiletries in a box that gets put away when we leave thus no issues. We have our own set of sheets that gets put away (another box), and the fridge is always cleaned out except for condos and left over drinks ect. In our house rules that get sent to everyone that rents it is clearly stated that if you use any of the hard liquor, replace it, if you break somthing, replace it and please tell us if you can't replace it so we can. Wall scuffs happen, spills happen, just don't hide things from us because I am like CSI whenever I am there and I will find it. Most people that Know me know how OCD I am about everything I own so the cleaning is usually over the top and we appreciate it. My .02. Nick

spectratoad
04-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Am I an azzhole for thinking this way?
Um......not at all, when can I pick up the keys? I would even leave a quantity of your favorite beverage. :) So since I am here local and if you ever need someone to run up and take a look at your place let me know. :cool:
I have to agree with the sheet thing. I don't have a second home, well sort of. It is my motorhome. People sometime stay in it when they come by our house. At least pull the sumbit#hes off so they can get washed.

XtrmWakeborder
04-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Nothing wrong with those rules at all, in fact the last time i stayed the weekend at my friends place in hemet my g/f and i raked and swept the pine needles, pine cones, and leaves out around her place...always leave it better than you found it.

Ziggy
04-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Leave as you found it, wash bedding. An addition to TP stock or paper towels is a nice gesture or whatever else you think the place could use.

Midlife Advantage
04-12-2006, 08:57 PM
A bottle of wine and a thank you note is from the heart for me. And Bob, I hope you enjoyed it, only an 05, but a sample of that South African yumyum

HYPNAUTIC
04-12-2006, 11:14 PM
My wife and I have been lucky enough to use our friends house in BH. There are a few things we like to do in appreciation for them letting us use their home.
#1 Bring our own sheets and pillows and towels (you can wash them in your W/D when you get home)
#2 If you see something that needs cleaning, clean it, even if you didnt get it dirty
#3 Thats there beer, ours is at the circle K
#4 Bring extra TP, paper towel, napkins. trash bags, etc.. for the house
#5 Haul your trash out (the gas station has a dumpster you can use)
#6 Sleep in the guest bedroom, the Master B/R is just that. (for the Master)
#7 Return the keys immeaditely
Hey GT, we really do appreciate it when you let us stay there.

FreshTracks
04-12-2006, 11:35 PM
RULE # 1-- DON'T F#$K IN MY BED..
That's pretty much it. If I've given you the keys to my place, we're obviously friends and have RESPECT for one another.

OGShocker
04-13-2006, 06:05 AM
RULE # 1-- DON'T F#$K IN MY BED..
That's pretty much it. If I've given you the keys to my place, we're obviously friends and have RESPECT for one another.
We have the same rule!