PDA

View Full Version : Will Your Next Boat Be Electric Powered?

dirty old man
04-12-2006, 09:30 AM
With the advancement in DC electric motors (mega hp) generally by Seimens, your next cruiser could be electric, powered by an on board gen set. It won't be your hundred mile per hour poker runner, but modest mph boat. By the time some of you get my age, your twin drive/single gen set will be pushing you pretty hard, and the noise and exhaust problems will be practically forgotten, as will be maintenace, vibration and handling. A DC motor will give you 100% torque from 1 rpm and up forward or reverse. Its not in this country yet, but its coming

whiteworks
04-12-2006, 09:44 AM
water and electricity, someone should build an electric flatbottom

BADBLOWN572
04-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Our next 18 will be electrically powered. Many people want to use the boat for a harbor cruiser instead of using a Duffy or other harbor cruiser. The boat will be exactly the same in configuration just the gas motor replaced with electric.
The problem is that with electric motors, you have to figure out what your limitations are. Currently the technology is not there to build a high speed boat for a reasonable cost. I have been learning a lot about this lately. In our boat, we plan on running two banks (16 6v batteries) with a total of 48 volts. We anticipate that with that configuration we will get 5-6 hours out of a single charge at 6-7 knots. If we go and try for 7-8 knots, 3-4 hours. If you try for 8-9 knots between 1-2 hours. If you try for 9-10 knots it will be less than an hour. The faster you want to go, the more amps you use and the faster your battery gets drained. Either you would have to come up with some SERIOUS batteries that will weigh well in excess of any combustion engine or find another power source. The technology is going in the right direction, but combustion engines are way ahead at this time.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1598Parker_8.JPG

burtandnancy
04-12-2006, 01:45 PM
We're using a lot of auto technology in our boats now, and the next generation is electric with an onboard generator. I think the I/O will be replaced by the motor in some sort of module behind or under the boat. No gears, no shafts, etc. Is it Honda that has the very high HP drive motors?

moneypit
04-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Nope

lucky
04-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Our next 18 will be electrically powered. Many people want to use the boat for a harbor cruiser instead of using a Duffy or other harbor cruiser. The boat will be exactly the same in configuration just the gas motor replaced with electric.
The problem is that with electric motors, you have to figure out what your limitations are. Currently the technology is not there to build a high speed boat for a reasonable cost. I have been learning a lot about this lately. In our boat, we plan on running two banks (16 6v batteries) with a total of 48 volts. We anticipate that with that configuration we will get 5-6 hours out of a single charge at 6-7 knots. If we go and try for 7-8 knots, 3-4 hours. If you try for 8-9 knots between 1-2 hours. If you try for 9-10 knots it will be less than an hour. The faster you want to go, the more amps you use and the faster your battery gets drained. Either you would have to come up with some SERIOUS batteries that will weigh well in excess of any combustion engine or find another power source. The technology is going in the right direction, but combustion engines are way ahead at this time.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1598Parker_8.JPG
ever think about developing a "Hydo drivin' generator to substain the batteries ?
Yes i know , paddle wheels are out :)

whiteworks
04-12-2006, 04:10 PM
I was flippping channels the other day and monster garage caught my attention with a 63 impala that they converted to twin inline electric motors they also used milwalke tool batterys like 400 of them to power the motors. this thing actually hauled ass and smoked the crap out of the tires off the line. they raced it against some mopar muscle car and it held its own "didnt win". it only had like 3 passes woth of juice

uvindex
04-12-2006, 06:30 PM
There are already lots of electric boats (from Duffy) whirring around Orange County. :)
http://www.duffyboats.com/18_balboa_main.gif