PDA

View Full Version : Truck Values With Aftermarket Stuff....

RiverOtter
04-12-2006, 09:55 AM
(I'll probably get flammed for this but....) I know a lot of y'all have customized / personalized trucks. I am looking at some used Chevy HD 2500 Duramax's. Some have been dressed up real nice with the wheels and door handles and shocks and steros.
The problem I am having is all my life when talking to dealers they maintain all this stuff is worthless. Makes the trucks look and perform better but does not add value to the truck. Some of the people selling these trucks seem to think the $6,000 to $10,000 they spent 1 - 2 years ago has not depreciated at all :rolleyes: . How do y'all treat the aftermarket stuff when buying / selling these trucks?
Let the flamming begin :D

HALLETT BOY
04-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Like it was never there ! The dealer is right, aftermarket stuff does nothing to add to the value, and sometimes detracts from it ! I Personaly do not want a truck that has been jacked up or hacked up or lowered...

Lightning
04-12-2006, 10:04 AM
It depends on the buyer.... Is a Lexus GS300 worth more than a Toyota Camry? It's the same care, one is just dressed up to the tune of $10,000 more. With any vehicle out there (boats, cares, trucks etc...), there is one thing to remember . . . there is an ass for every seat, it just a matter of finding the ass.

YeLLowBoaT
04-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Too me if you have messed with the truck at all it just lost 50% of its value.
now things like bigger wheels, tires, "pro installed" steros, bedliners, tool boxs bumbers and hitchs. are ok as long as they are in good taste.
pretty much any preformance upgrades make me walk away. Also if the truck is lifted, walk away.

NOTALENT
04-12-2006, 10:14 AM
yup...any performance mods just mean more abuse done the the vehicle. They may look nice, but where has this lifted 4x4 truck really been...???? Buy stock and you know it hasnt been abused too bad.
Not to mention most of these upgrades void Warrantys.

dicudmore
04-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Like it was never there ! The dealer is right, aftermarket stuff does nothing to add to the value, and sometimes detracts from it ! I Personaly do not want a truck that has been jacked up or hacked up or lowered...
what he said :cool:

2Driver
04-12-2006, 10:15 AM
10-15 cents on the dollar if you are real lucky in the target maret.

Magic34
04-12-2006, 10:19 AM
:cry: :cry:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-9174.html

Caribbean Jet
04-12-2006, 10:30 AM
You'll never get what you paid. Perception is in the eye of the beholder, so if have something that has been lifted, lowered or tinkered with make sure that the details of the ride look good. Ask what you want and if you don't get that price you can always lower it.

Froggystyle
04-12-2006, 10:35 AM
I have ALWAYS gotten a lot more for highly modified vehicles used than stockers. I have an offer right now on my 2002 Chevy D-max 2WD for $40K that I am not taking in fact. Lots of mods, frame cut for the drop, completely custom dashboard etc... Thing is, I would just have to go do it all again for a new truck, so we are hanging on to it for the shop vehicle.
It is all in who did the mods, how great it looks and performs and what kind of a statement it makes to the person looking for a vehicle. I sold my Corvette for nearly $10K over book last week due to killer mods. Any time someone tried talking me down, I just said "fine, if the wheels aren't worth anything, I will put stock ones on and sell it for what you want to pay..."
No one chose that option though.
Mods are always worth something. If they weren't, we wouldn't buy them.
Put two otherwise stock Chevy trucks next to each other. One with an RCD 6" lift, 20" wheels and tires and killer stereo and the other completely stock, charge $5K more for the modified one and watch it sell first every time. Every time.

N2Lake
04-12-2006, 10:51 AM
there is an ass for every seat, it just a matter of finding the ass.
I would think the asses are harder to find in TN than in So. Cal., that should make it easier to negotiate the price down for the mods.
pretty much any preformance upgrades make me walk away.
Ditto that.
If however you have something that is modified by a well known builder, i.e. Lingenfelter, then you adds will hold the value up. But you have to have confidence in the mods, or modifier. Thats my .02

RiverOtter
04-12-2006, 10:57 AM
The turcks I am seriously considering have only had wheel / tire and electronic up grades. My favorite line out of one of the emails (on an '04 truck) "It has $6,000 in upgrades, the wheels alone were $3,500 but the owner is willing to take a loss on the upgrades"...... well duh!

H20 Toie
04-12-2006, 10:57 AM
I have put a bunch of money into upgrading my truck and could i sell it for more than a stock 05 f350, probably but i will have a lot less buyers looking at it then a stock truck and now with the paint i really limited my buyers, will i ever get my money back? Hell no. But it wasn't about making money on it. it is the enjoyment i get from driving it and as the saying goes that part is priceless.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2573DSC01281.JPG

RiverOtter
04-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I would think the asses are harder to find in TN than in So. Cal., that should make it easier to negotiate the price down for the mods.
LOL!! The trucks I'm am looking at are in MO and in GA. You don't see many mods here in the TN. Except for that Nashvillebound guy :D He IS the Jones'

JB in so cal
04-12-2006, 12:13 PM
LOL!! The trucks I'm am looking at are in MO and in GA. You don't see many mods here in the TN. Except for that Nashvillebound guy :D He IS the Jones'
...most gun racks aren't permanant, right?

RiverOtter
04-12-2006, 01:25 PM
...most gun racks aren't permanant, right?
Are you kidding me. I have one in my G Coupe :D

RiverOtter
04-12-2006, 01:26 PM
:cry: :cry:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-9174.html
This struck me as funny http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/lmao.gif

TwinMach26DCB
04-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Put two otherwise stock Chevy trucks next to each other. One with an RCD 6" lift, 20" wheels and tires and killer stereo and the other completely stock, charge $5K more for the modified one and watch it sell first every time. Every time.
Why - because we can..

dicudmore
04-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Why - because we can..
I'll take stock any day of the week :D

RiverOtter
04-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Why - because we can..
I'm am not seeing that.

OGShocker
04-12-2006, 01:51 PM
I'll take stock any day of the week :D
"Stock is relative" :D :D :D

Boa1277
04-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Yep my boat is also stock...LOL and I pull it with a lifted Yukon with a built 383 cu.in. inner cooled P1SC Pro Charger and the stock HP is right around 487 at the rear wheels, but then again I only like stock items. LOL

Roxysnow
04-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Yeah, until you go to buy a vehicle from a from a dealer with aftermarket items on it! Then the price is way higher! Go figure?????

dicudmore
04-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Yeah, until you go to buy a vehicle from a from a dealer with aftermarket items on it! Then the price is way higher! Go figure?????
that may be on a new vehicle, as pretty much everyone knows there is little to zero profit left on new cars, they are selling accessories etc that they can make some mark up on. Gotta stay in business somehow...
When it comes to used, more often than not if its modified much sales dept either has to pay us to take the crap off the car or they just wholesale the biatch and move on.

dicudmore
04-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Yep my boat is also stock...LOL and I pull it with a lifted Yukon with a built 383 cu.in. inner cooled P1SC Pro Charger and the stock HP is right around 487 at the rear wheels, but then again I only like stock items. LOL
lol I hope you have a light boat or an extra trans in your garage

MAINEVENT
04-12-2006, 03:33 PM
yup...any performance mods just mean more abuse done the the vehicle. They may look nice, but where has this lifted 4x4 truck really been...???? Buy stock and you know it hasnt been abused too bad.
I beg to differ, 90% of the people who lift their trucks these day have never touched dirt in the trucks life, WHY??? Hell if i know... Bandwagon jumpers i guess but when i was looking at truck awhile ago i was asking some Q's about the handling and stuff of the trucks off-raod and half of them didn't know how to put in 4 wheel drive...
Now on the aftermarket dealio It does not add value to a car/truck unless its something exotic which at that point RUN... IMO

redneckcharlie
04-12-2006, 03:40 PM
i am just curious? of all the people that think modified vehicles are less than desireable, and worth less money or worth the same as a stock vehicle. how many of you think the extra money you put in your boat makes it worth less and makes it look less desireable to someone who may buy it when being resold? i have yet to see one person that has a whipple, or the such, on his boat not want more for it on the secondary market. i'll also bet there is almost no one here that would question that type of mod on a boat as well. :rolleyes:

dbleD's69
04-12-2006, 03:41 PM
I bought my husband a brand new lifted truck from Mills ford in Orange. They did lift kit, put the big rims and tires on it, upgraded the shocks. All under warrenty. The lift kits was done by Four Wheel Parts they flat bed the truck over and back. That is the only way to go if you want a warranty the cost is a liitle more but if you know how to hagle and I do .you can get it for cost no mark ups.

dicudmore
04-12-2006, 03:44 PM
i am just curious? of all the people that think modified vehicles are less than desireable, and worth less money or worth the same as a stock vehicle. how many of you think the extra money you put in your boat makes it worth less and makes it look less desireable to someone who may buy it when being resold? i have yet to see one person that has a whipple, or the such, on his boat not want more for it on the secondary market. i'll also bet there is almost no one here that would question that type of mod on a boat as well. :rolleyes:
good question...I would say for the most part you will have a much harder time selling a modified boat...
yes, it probably LOSES value compared to stock...now its molested and people don't want to work on it. Also one might think it may have been run a little hard :wink:
Wanting more for it, and getting more for it may be 2 different things...
Ask N2Lake or LoneStarRage (whatever his screen-name is this week) about trying to sell a very clean Nordic Rage that happened to have a supercharged 540. I think he sold it for less than others are selling with HO's

Froggystyle
04-12-2006, 03:45 PM
It's funny, but I have been told by every single dealer looking to buy my trade in that the aftermarket items won't get me a higher price from them. Then, they pump up the price of one with mods... go figure.
I am pretty convinced that the "you won't get any more money for it" mentality has been groomed by the people who stand to make the least amount for them... the dealers.
But, as the thread-starter said, the ones with the aftermarket goodies cost a lot more. Do the math. Sounds like they add value.

Tom Brown
04-12-2006, 03:59 PM
yes, it probably LOSES value compared to stock...
I'm with you but I think it depends on the modifications.
Someone installed a stereo in my boat and ended up cutting away a supporting piece to install the deck in dash and that caused the entire dash to crack. The crappy remote start install that my car came with caused me to have to fix a big mess that was made of the wiring. My Dad's truck has holes in the dash from a radar detector mount.
There are very few modifications I place any value on so I stay away from modified cars. So few people have the taste to do modifications you can live with and not many more have the capability to do the modifications properly.
I'm out on mods unless they can be demonstrated to be done in a proper fashion. A car with an aftermarket head unit is worth less to me than a car with the automaker's CD player to me.

Tom Brown
04-12-2006, 04:01 PM
It's funny, but I have been told by every single dealer looking to buy my trade in that the aftermarket items won't get me a higher price from them. Then, they pump up the price of one with mods... go figure.
Dealers suck but then I wouldn't want to warranty a car with a bunch of aftermarket stuff that was installed by someone unknown to me.
What happens when the butt connectors on the remote start install corode and the vehicle sits dead on the side of the road? If I just sold you the vehicle, I would have to suck up the repair.

JB in so cal
04-12-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm with you but I think it depends on the modifications.
Someone installed a stereo in my boat and ended up cutting away a supporting piece to install the deck in dash and that caused the entire dash to crack. The crappy remote start install that my car came with caused me to have to fix a big mess that was made of the wiring. My Dad's truck has holes in the dash from a radar detector mount.
There are very few modifications I place any value on so I stay away from modified cars. So few people have the taste to do modifications you can live with and not many more have the capability to do the modifications properly.
I'm out on mods unless they can be demonstrated to be done in a proper fashion. A car with an aftermarket head unit is worth less to me than a car with the automaker's CD player to me.
Exactly why the stuff I just did to my truck included keeping my stock ford head unit. ROZ recommended the JL Cleansweep-sweet!!! Hidden. Door panels hide upgraded speakers; sub under middle seat and amp behind back seat.
Absolutely sounds modified, but you can't tell by looking.

Froggystyle
04-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Dealers suck but then I wouldn't want to warranty a car with a bunch of aftermarket stuff that was installed by someone unknown to me.
What happens when the butt connectors on the remote start install corode and the vehicle sits dead on the side of the road? If I just sold you the vehicle, I would have to suck up the repair.
What happens when the butt connectors on the remote start install corode and the vehicle sits dead on the side of the road? If I just sold you the vehicle, I would have to suck up the repair.[/QUOTE]
Fair. Maybe I just haven't had a problem because the installs are cherry and professional. People take one look at the stuff I sell and I get premium value for it.
Ask Clownpuncher. He paid more for my last boat than you could buy a new 21 for at the time. But, for that he got a huge audio system, well thought out battery system with custom bracketry and protection, big Merlin motor, set back jet with all of the bells and whistles etc...
I would say that if someone has actually "dialed in" the product in question, it will be obvious and will greatly impact the price. Just bolting Kragen shit on doesn't count. It has to be well done, clean, systemized and integrated. Then, it will be additive to the value.
Crap is crap. Aftermarket crap is still crap. If it looks factory, it will probably add value.

gqchris
04-12-2006, 04:48 PM
I think alot of the percieved value loss in aftermarket parts is when you trade it in at a dealer. Even before I worked at one, I knew that my aftermarket stereo with all the goodies did the dealer no good, as long as there was a radio in it, they were happy. And more often than not, a buyer does not want all the extras, so when you take one in on trade, it just gets pulled off. It has gotten better though the last few years. Now a bedliner and step bars etc are a must on most peeps lists.

redneckcharlie
04-12-2006, 06:17 PM
i'm not sure what the dealerships in california or arizona have, as far as aftermarket parts on vehicles for sale at the dealership. but, here in nm, there is not one ford, dodge, or chevy dealership that doesn't have lifted and modified new trucks for sale on there lots. the amount of mark up on these units is atleast double what it would cost to have done outside the dealer, but they'll finance the mods in to the new loan. i think the debate really has to do with which side of the coin your on. if you can get someone to sell you their vehicle or boat that has quite a few goodies for the same price as stock, you'll say it doesn't boost the value, why would you, you got them for free. if you're selling, then your boat or truck is worth more. :rollside:

Boa1277
04-12-2006, 08:08 PM
lol I hope you have a light boat or an extra trans in your garage
Yep, light boat, little 21ft Schiada with a stock motor Larry Peto built me from Larrys Engine and Marine(same guy who built the motors in Predator Gary Smiths 40ft Skater) LOL Truly I do not add these accessories thinking, " WOW my vehicle or boat is going to be worth so much more now" most people purchase these items because they like the look or the feel or the thrill that these items give them, if you plan on fixing up your ride do it because you want to not because it will be worth more in the end. We all know anything with a motor goes down with the years not up, if you want to make money buy real estate and fix it up!!! LOL I do think you will get more for the vehicle that has the nice tires and lift kit and AV system than the bone stocker, most people that fix their cars up take enough pride in them to take care of them, people that leave them stock usually could give a shit less if the thing is ugly they just want it to get them from point A to B.... :crossx:
P.S. I dont have a extra tranny in the garage but I did twist a drive shaft in two it looked like one of those doughnuts that are all twisted..LOL

cc322
04-12-2006, 08:27 PM
[/B]
Exactly why the stuff I just did to my truck included keeping my stock ford head unit. ROZ recommended the JL Cleansweep-sweet!!! Hidden. Door panels hide upgraded speakers; sub under middle seat and amp behind back seat.
Absolutely sounds modified, but you can't tell by looking.
Then how come I saw you in Sound Advise looking at Alpine mp3 direct ipod, satalite ready head units? :wink:

RUSSO
04-12-2006, 08:28 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12892&stc=1
JUST DO A SMALL LIFT LIKE MNE........COPS LOVE ME :crossx:

Tom Brown
04-12-2006, 08:30 PM
.....Maybe I just haven't had a problem because the installs are cherry and professional.......................It has to be well done, clean, systemized and integrated. Then, it will be additive to the value. .............
No question. The thing is, for every guy like you, there are thousands of slack jawed mouth breathers who half assedly bolt on second rate shit that doesn't work right and makes everything look cheap.
... so, in general, after market stuff degrades the value of the vehicle... at least to me. It's not a hard and fast rule, though. I would pay extra if it was stuff I wanted and I could see it was clean and professional.
The big honking lift kit may look cool (to some... not a big fan, myself) but how many lifted trucks shimy real bad? I like lowered trucks but how many can you swing through parking lot speed bumps without bottoming? Not many people are better engineers than Ford/Chevy/Dodge. I know improvements can be made but vehicles are pretty well thought out these days.
I recall speaking with a guy in Georgia about a prop. I asked him if it had been worked and he replied... "some". That pretty much put me off right there but then he went on to say how much extra it was worth because some big name prop guy had worked it to perform perfectly on some guys boat and give him just the right bow lift, etc. I asked if he had the receipt for the work... of course, he didn't. I asked if it was the perfect custom prop for my boat... he didn't say too much. He didn't even know what boat I had.
When you make something custom, it may be just what you want but it's not necessarily what someone else wants. Custom paint with your favorite graphics isn't likely to appeal to someone else. A theme car with tasteful paint that suits the theme is likely to appeal to a much wider audience.

DSIDan
04-12-2006, 10:05 PM
I have ALWAYS gotten a lot more for highly modified vehicles used than stockers. I have an offer right now on my 2002 Chevy D-max 2WD for $40K that I am not taking in fact. Lots of mods, frame cut for the drop, completely custom dashboard etc... Thing is, I would just have to go do it all again for a new truck, so we are hanging on to it for the shop vehicle.
It is all in who did the mods, how great it looks and performs and what kind of a statement it makes to the person looking for a vehicle. I sold my Corvette for nearly $10K over book last week due to killer mods. Any time someone tried talking me down, I just said "fine, if the wheels aren't worth anything, I will put stock ones on and sell it for what you want to pay..."
No one chose that option though.
Mods are always worth something. If they weren't, we wouldn't buy them.
Ditto That! We build over 400 trucks a month that sell brand new at 10's of thousands over MSRP right on the dealers lots. Lift Kits add value to a very large portion of the buying public. All the other stuff like Wheels, Stereo, bla, bla, bla have little add ons in the blue book, so they also add value. Bottom line.......Buy what you like.....pay what your willing....and enjoy for what its worth!!

RiverOtter
04-13-2006, 03:05 AM
Then how come I saw you in Sound Advise looking at Alpine mp3 direct ipod, satalite ready head units? :wink:
Just installed one in my Burb. Love It!

JB in so cal
04-13-2006, 06:03 AM
Very close! They did the install, but I got all the crap from ROZ. With the Cleansweep, I do have direct connect with the ipod.
Goddamn. Had me there for a second.

NOTALENT
04-13-2006, 06:34 AM
I beg to differ, 90% of the people who lift their trucks these day have never touched dirt in the trucks life, WHY??? Hell if i know... Bandwagon jumpers i guess but when i was looking at truck awhile ago i was asking some Q's about the handling and stuff of the trucks off-raod and half of them didn't know how to put in 4 wheel drive...
Now on the aftermarket dealio It does not add value to a car/truck unless its something exotic which at that point RUN... IMO
That is true...but there is still going to be wear and tear on the rear end, and transmission. Not to mention the motor is going to lose life quicker depending on the tire and lift size.
There are alot of posers out there...most of which are the ones lifting there 2wd's with 15inch lifts and 38inch tires. :crossx:

RiverOtter
04-13-2006, 10:05 AM
There are alot of posers out there...most of which are the ones lifting there 2wd's with 15inch lifts and 38inch tires. :crossx:
Saw one of those on ebay. Kept reading the description thinking it was a misprint. What a dork :rolleyes:

Boa1277
04-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Saw one of those on ebay. Kept reading the description thinking it was a misprint. What a dork :rolleyes:
Let me ask you this, do you think you need 4WD to modify a vehicles to do good in the dirt, if this is what you are refering to as a poser I guess 90% of the Trophy Trucks that run the Score series are posing all the way to Baja... If you want to crawl over a rock or crawl through some sand or drive slow in snow go with 4WD if you want to hall balls through the dirt, go 2WD..

uvindex
04-13-2006, 10:43 AM
It's funny, but I have been told by every single dealer looking to buy my trade in that the aftermarket items won't get me a higher price from them. Then, they pump up the price of one with mods... go figure.Good answer! :boxed:
True story: I bought a 3-year old Miata from Irvine Mazda. It was bone stock except for some nice aftermarket wheels. The dealer had a MARKUP for these aftermarket wheels on the used car window sticker. Three years later, I sold the SAME car with the SAME wheels back to the SAME dealer. You guessed it, they told me then that the wheels DECREASED its value. Sheesh.

RiverOtter
04-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Let me ask you this, do you think you need 4WD to modify a vehicles to do good in the dirt, if this is what you are refering to as a poser I guess 90% of the Trophy Trucks that run the Score series are posing all the way to Baja... If you want to crawl over a rock or crawl through some sand or drive slow in snow go with 4WD if you want to hall balls through the dirt, go 2WD..
Kinda like having flames on a boat with a 5.0L

Froggystyle
04-13-2006, 01:10 PM
My 2wd was lifted on 37's with an 8" lift. I loved it. Looked great, steered a lot better than a 4WD, rode a lot better than stock and got much better mileage than a 4WD. Additionally, it had a lot less moving parts, better tire wear and cost less than a 4WD...
Sorry, you are losing me on the "poser" comment. Short of my full rock-crawler I had, I have never once hit 4WD on any 'wheeler I have ever owned. Lifted trucks go over curbs better though, and they are good for other things.
Fact is, I took that same exact truck and dumped it the next year. From 8" over stock...
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/d/610-2/Lifted+Truck+Front+Side.jpg
to 12" below stock...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/desert_small.jpg
in about 2 weeks. I love it lowered. I don't think that makes me a poser either though. I am not road racing it, so why else would I lower it, right?
I probably won't own another 4WD. No reason. Since 2003 when I bought this truck I haven't once wished I had 4WD for any reason. Every time I fill up I am pretty stoked I don't have it though.

Boa1277
04-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Kinda like having flames on a boat with a 5.0L
UHH you will have to explain this one to me I am kinda slow today, are refering to Flames on a slow boat or are trying to say people with 5.0L motors should not have paint jobs with flames because it makes them a poser, I guess I missed the point... Or are you agreeing with me me in which case you are completely correct. Sorry like I said I am kinda slow today.
I will say this that is a nice looking truck Froggy, I have been thinking about lowering my Yukon after seeing you truck I think it is sealed now..

Froggystyle
04-13-2006, 02:03 PM
I will say this that is a nice looking truck Froggy, I have been thinking about lowering my Yukon after seeing you truck I think it is sealed now..
If you are local, you are welcome to come take it for a spin. Or, you can check it out at the river some time.
It is 50% more comfortable than stock, way better looking and handles awesome. The Air-Ride system is the balls, and the only way to go in my opinion. Let me know if you have any questions regarding it at all.
Wes