PDA

View Full Version : I saw something cool on the way home...

rrrr
09-29-2004, 05:02 PM
I stopped at the big intersection near my house and looked over to my right at the lawn in front of a savings and loan. A fookin' HUGE red tailed hawk swooped down out of the air and nailed a rat sitting on the grass. I turned right and circled around the building, stopped and jumped outta the truck.
The hawk was sitting on the grass not ten feet from me and devoured the rat while I watched. His head was the size of a tennis ball, just an incredibly big bird that watched me, uh, like a hawk. :D People that were sitting at the light were pointing and flipping out, a few of them came around the building and joined me watching while the hawk ate.
When it was finished it took off and flew up to the top of the strip mall sign. His (?) wingspan was around five feet.
What a wonderful thing to see right in the middle of a city of 250,000 people.
Made my day. Hawks are badass, they migrate down this way in the winter and provide mucho good views for me. What beautiful birds they are.
YEAH! :cool:

MagicMtnDan
09-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Very cool - I love them birds!
I am concerned about the lack of birds - it seems to me that West Nile Virus has killed a LOT of birds off. I don't see near the number of crows (I happen to like them - they make cool sounds and they have lots of personality) that I used to.
We need these birds - they keep the rodent and insect populations down.

rmylek
09-29-2004, 05:35 PM
I work at pg&e her in San Francisco and there are a couple of Perigrin falcons that live on top of the building, every once in awhile you'll see them flying around the city.

ahhell
09-29-2004, 05:41 PM
I have a redtail that lives in my back yard...the other day i hear this gawd awful squealing and look out back and see wings flappin' and dust flyin' and all the sudden a big ol' red tail takes off and a squirrel and a rabbit both take off from where the hawk had them both pinned...bitch caught both of them and couldnt control either, i wanted to offer up the wifespoodle......but....the wife didnt agree...damm poodles

Tom Brown
09-29-2004, 07:44 PM
:cool:

Keithb87
09-29-2004, 07:47 PM
cool story... experience... :D

rrrr
09-29-2004, 09:41 PM
cool story... experience... :D
I like to think that those of us who experience nature by boating are in tune with this sort of thing...
It doesn't matter if you have a huge fookin' boat, cruising on the water makes you aware of nature and your RESPONSIBILITY to take care of the environment......
I feel fortunate to have witnessed nature at such close quarters....