PDA

View Full Version : Yearly skin check

H20Advantage
10-01-2004, 10:46 AM
How many of you go in for a yearly skin exam with a dermatologist?
Had mine today. All I can say about it is freeze, burn and scrape :supp: . All those years in the 70's and 80's in the sun are catching up with me now that the big 40 has hit.
I figure since I won't stay out of the sun I'll just keep up with the safety precautions every year.

welk2party
10-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Hopefully I will be in the clear.

Speedin' Ian
10-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Once a year! Try four times a year, and I am sure I will still get skin cancer at some point in my life :yuk: . Oh well that is why I pay for insurance.

racecar.hotshoe
10-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Once a year! Try four times a year, and I am sure I will still get skin cancer at some point in my life :yuk: . Oh well that is why I pay for insurance.The wifes checks mine every night...............Sorry wrong thread......... :cool:

dirty old man
10-01-2004, 11:53 AM
just last week, having surgery next week. I now use sp 50 and stay in the dark. but then again look at my name

cc322
10-01-2004, 01:08 PM
Went in the spring all ok here, I also work out side and I am in the sun all day our dept supplys us with hats and sunscreen and long sleeve shirts if you want them, I choose not to wear the longsleeve but I do load up on the spf :cool:

UltraLucky
10-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Just had my yearly today also. Three freeze spots, one had me worried. Not too bad considering all the time spent outside. At 40 all the spots seem to start appearing more frequently.

Debbolas
10-01-2004, 01:59 PM
I get checked once a year, but wait until my tan fades, otherwise my dermotologist clucks at me and says" OH, so much sun damage".
lol ;)

Boatcop
10-01-2004, 02:01 PM
I see the dermo Doc annually.
Growing up on the Beach, surfing almost every day from the mid '60s through the mid '80s, my job now, makes a yearly check mandatory. Never used sunscreen. Luckily nothing major, but a few pre cancerous lesions freezed off.
The DOc was amazed I waasn't in worse shape, with my exposure background. All I can attribute it to is my Italian heritige,(Grandma and Grandpa came over on the boat) and the skin that goes with it.
Use that SPF 50. Especially those with blond, blue eyed, fair skin and Northern European roots. Scandanavian and English/Irish traits are especially susceptible.

MsDrmr
10-01-2004, 02:32 PM
my mr. has been doing that (scrape,freeze, burn, cut and so forth) for the last four years now. he has not been now for about 8mos and I know for a fact he has at least three spots that need to be done :hammerhea :hammerhea

1978 Rogers
10-01-2004, 02:37 PM
The wifes checks mine every night...............Sorry wrong thread......... :cool:
I wished my wife check mine that offten........What the hell were we talking about? :confused: :D

1978 Rogers
10-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Let me get this straight. All of you go to a derm at least once a year for possible melanoma or skin cancer. Do a lot of people do this in AZ & CA or states down south with more sun & hight temps?

Boatcop
10-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Let me get this straight. All of you go to a derm at least once a year for possible melanoma or skin cancer. Do a lot of people do this in AZ & CA or states down south with more sun & hight temps?
Arizona has the highest per capita rate of skin cancer than any other place in the US.
With 350+ days of sunshine per year, you'd almost expect it.
Not like you guys up there, where you have to go to the body shop for rust removal every year or so. :D

ratso
10-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Arizona has the highest per capita rate of skin cancer than any other place in the US.
With 350+ days of sunshine per eyar, you'd almost expect it.
Not like you guys up there, where you have to go to the body shop for rust removal every year or so. :D
Rust Removal...LMAO! :D

MsDrmr
10-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Oh hell ya, even when it's raining the suns out here if CA. :D

gramps
10-01-2004, 02:56 PM
My wife and I get checked at LEAST once a year. After all the years on the ocean long rang fishing we both have had several spots burned off by "Mr. Frosty". A few months ago one of her spots was found to be melinoma........they had to do a TWO INCH cut on her arm but they got it all. I hate to wear sunblock but now I do everytime I'm on the water.

burtandnancy
10-01-2004, 04:06 PM
every boater I know gets checked. nothing scares like the word melanoma! nancy and I have both had surgeries and don't want more. hats and long sleeved t-shirts are the uniform of the day as well as SPF 50 instead of after shave. we enjoy our boating but spend time in the shade rather than sunbathing. I rarely go out without the bimini up. be careful out there