PDA

View Full Version : Droop Question

JEThro
10-03-2004, 07:03 AM
A good friend was kind enough to loan me a droop to try out. Before I try it out,I was curious as to what to expect in the way of performance and handling differences. The boat is a 1979 18ft Tahiti LP. Its got a mild 350 sbc[9to1comp] in it spinning a B impeller. No diverter at this time but does have a ride plate. Currently it does 60.2mph on GPS at 4900rpm. Any input would be appreciated. Jethro
Oh yeah. The pump is a Panther. :sqeyes:

Squirtin Thunder
10-03-2004, 12:50 PM
You may have to wedge it to get the ride the way you want it, but it should give you more lift(bow lift). What is your ride plate set at??? It seems that the best speeds are at 3.5*-4* up on some (most) boats. Also with that engine you may get transom lift being that it is under 525lbs. Most info is on BBCs and BBFs. Light is good. Info is on Berks not sure how it works on Panthers.
Cas,
What do the Panthers have in front of the ride plate any kind of shoe system? If so can he maybe do a back cut if necicary? Do they make nozzel wedges for a Panther???
:idea: :idea: :cool: :confused: :messedup:
Jim

JEThro
10-03-2004, 03:02 PM
Jim,Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly,there is no way to put any wedge on a Panther. The nozzle and stator housing(bowl) are all one piece.(SEE PIC) The rear shaft bushing is in the stator housing.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/143870Pump-med.jpg
The droop I have is home made. The dozzle was cut off,droop added,then welded back together. I haven't measured the ride plate angle. It's going to be a trial and error thing. I'm going to try it out this weekend. I'll get some pics of the setup then.

Squirtin Thunder
10-03-2004, 03:14 PM
JEThro,
I thaught those things had a " Black Box " (cover) ???? Cas has most of the info on the Panthers. If I remember right he is kind of like the "Panther Guru". It just always seems that he has all the good Panther info. I know there is not much for the Panther Jet. I remember going to the boat Show at the Cow Palace and watching the vidios on the Panthers back in the early '80s, I think. If I remember right they had a good looking lady sales girl there. I remember in the vidio that the Panther was the shit the perfect little roost and the cat (Panther) sound as it passed the other boats with Berks. And that sweet Black Box covering all the parts.
Good Luck and have fun
Jim

JEThro
10-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Jim,Cas is who I got the droop from. Actualy,the pic I posted is of one of his pumps. Those pumps need that cover. They're butt ugly without it.

Cas
10-03-2004, 05:06 PM
a Panther droop? say it ain't so! :D ;)
Actually, Panther does have wedges but since I've never seen one, I'm not sure where they go? between the hull and pump maybe? donno...
I'm thinking the ride plate needs to be on the center holes to start.

Squirtin Thunder
10-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Can you post pics of the ride plate ????
Jim
BTW - I am having Panther flash backs now