PDA

View Full Version : Garage Floor Epoxy

boxscore
10-04-2004, 07:08 AM
What should I be paying (per foot) when I hire someone to do my garage floor? Any company recomendations? Thx

Sherpa
10-04-2004, 07:12 AM
I remember the stuff costing about 100 bucks to do a "regular size garage
floor around 20x 18..... whats that, 360 sq feet-?
how much crap are they going to do for you-? move all your stuff-? acid
wash it first-?
the paint alone (from sherwin williams) is around 100 bucks. whole job takes
about 2 hours, max............ you don't even wash the rollers, you toss them.
--Sherpa

boxscore
10-04-2004, 07:15 AM
I remember the stuff costing about 100 bucks to do a "regular size garage
floor around 20x 18..... whats that, 360 sq feet-?
how much crap are they going to do for you-? move all your stuff-? acid
wash it first-?
the paint alone (from sherwin williams) is around 100 bucks. whole job takes
about 2 hours, max............ you don't even wash the rollers, you toss them.
--Sherpa
I've got a five-car garage... about 1500'. I want someone to come in and do the entire thing right. Acid wash, etc. The garage will be completely empty.

prosthogod
10-04-2004, 07:46 AM
do it yourself. I did my five car in one saturday, you will need to also buy some cold drinks though.

Mandelon
10-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Are you talking just a solid color or the one with the granite look paint chips?
I just did mine with the granite look and it cost about a grand for all the materials, plus a hell of a mess with the grinding. Its a two car garage and has two storage closets on the side. It turned out bitchen and took 5 days to do it right.
Grind, vaccuum, primer coat, base coat, chips, clear coat, top coat. All are two part epoxies.......
If I had to do it again, I would have hired it out. :messedup: www.lifedeck.com

Stealth Marine
10-04-2004, 09:08 AM
What should I be paying (per foot) when I hire someone to do my garage floor? Any company recomendations? Thx
I have a small, 800SqFt garage.
But I wanted a REALLY nice floor.
So I went with a three part system.
100% Epoxy Resin base coat.
Multi Fleck Epoxy Chip middle coat.
100% UV resistent Clear Epoxy topcoat.
I paid $2,300 total, including a full acid wash, concrete grinding, all the joint seams filled and smoothed, and all cracks sealed.
The end result was drop dead GORGIOUS.
Exactly what I was looking for.

boxscore
10-04-2004, 10:16 AM
I paid $2,300 total, including a full acid wash, concrete grinding, all the joint seams filled and smoothed, and all cracks sealed.
So... about $3.00/ft (or less) is about what I should pay?.... I've got a guy coming over today for a bid. Just wanted a little info prior to him showing up.

Essex502
10-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Who'd you have do it in LHC? I'm thinking of having it done on my new hosue we're building.

ROZ
10-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Contact woodster from the boards. He does it for a living down here, but could probably tell you what to expect to pay. :)

boxscore
10-04-2004, 02:44 PM
bump

Stealth Marine
10-04-2004, 04:18 PM
Who'd you have do it in LHC? I'm thinking of having it done on my new hosue we're building.
Turns out that one of my customers does this for a living.
While we were working on his boat it just came up in the course of conversation. So I let him take a crack at the job.
Tomorrow he is putting a 4th coat down on the floor.
I wanted the top just a little bit smoother, so we are adding a bit more of the clear coat to reduce the traction/friction a bit.
SO far as I know he has done about 2 dozen floors so far, most of them in california, but he is here in havasu now full time.

Woodster
10-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Turns out that one of my customers does this for a living.
While we were working on his boat it just came up in the course of conversation. So I let him take a crack at the job.
Tomorrow he is putting a 4th coat down on the floor.
I wanted the top just a little bit smoother, so we are adding a bit more of the clear coat to reduce the traction/friction a bit.
SO far as I know he has done about 2 dozen floors so far, most of them in california, but he is here in havasu now full time.JUst adding more sealer wont smooth it out ..He needs to go over it quickly with 80-100 grit sandpaper and then reapply the clear coat :hammer2:

Woodster
10-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Hey Boxscore it should cost you roughly $3.50 to $4.50sqft installed..Make sure and have them grind your floor..Acid washing is the shortcut way to do the floor prep and ive seen many failures doing it this way..We either grind or beadblast the floor..It gives the best adheasion.. Let me know if u have any more questions :cool:

Essex502
10-05-2004, 06:08 AM
Hey Boxscore it should cost you roughly $3.50 to $4.50sqft installed..Make sure and have them grind your floor..Acid washing is the shortcut way to do the floor prep and ive seen many failures doing it this way..We either grind or beadblast the floor..It gives the best adheasion.. Let me know if u have any more questions :cool:
:2purples: Jeez...that's $3,500 - $4,000 for my garage! Maybe Home Depot sells something cheaper! :D

Stealth Marine
10-05-2004, 06:24 AM
JUst adding more sealer wont smooth it out ..He needs to go over it quickly with 80-100 grit sandpaper and then reapply the clear coat :hammer2:
Right you are.
We rotory sanded the entire floor and nocked the tops off of all the chips that were sticking up through the top coat.
They are just now applying the 4th and final coating of the claer coat to the floor. Should be finished in a couple hours.

Stealth Marine
10-05-2004, 06:28 AM
:2purples: Jeez...that's $3,500 - $4,000 for my garage! Maybe Home Depot sells something cheaper! :D
Your right, they sell something MUCH cheaper.
Before I went this route I went out onto several of the car collectors forums and asked around as much as possible.
The universal reply is that ALL of the cheap coats FAIL in one way or the other.
The most common complaint was coming home with HOT TIRES and the surface delaminating under the tire when the steering wheel was turned. Just peeled the coatings right off the floor.
Having heard horor story after horor story about the cheap do-it-yourself applications I decided to bite the bullet and do the professional route instead.
Though I will not know for certain for several months yet, I expect that the floor I had put down will be impervious to ANYTHING that I ever do in my garage.

Stealth Marine
10-05-2004, 06:30 AM
Tim and Steve at Extreme Custom Painting.
928-486-9206

Essex502
10-05-2004, 06:31 AM
Tim and Steve at Extreme Custom Painting.
928-486-9206
Thanks! I'll contact them for a quote.

OGShocker
10-05-2004, 06:37 AM
I am in the protective coatings business and IMHO these folks make a good product. They have different products for most uses. Floor coatings (http://www.musclegloss.com/)
Good luck.
OGS

boxscore
10-05-2004, 06:38 AM
My quote was $3.50 /ft. $4800 for a 1370 sq' garage. A three day installation. Grind, acid, multi-coats, water based and epoxy, (granite appearance). Sound about right? Reputable company.

OGShocker
10-05-2004, 06:45 AM
My quote was $3.50 /ft. $4800 for a 1370 sq' garage. A three day installation. Grind, acid, multi-coats, water based and epoxy, (granite appearance). Sound about right? Reputable company.
I just did a materials only quote for a 75x40 garage on the above site. $3500 for materials alone. Not bad I guess.

TOBTEK
10-05-2004, 06:51 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/135cart_017-med.jpg
Heres a pic of our garage. The finished floors looks great, BUT if you are a project in the garage guy, I wouldn't do the floor! everytime I do a project, I have to red-rosin the floor so I wont damage it. I already have to resand the floor and reclear it from paint overspray from a paint project (oops :burningm: ) when its cleaned and washed, half the floor is pretty and glossy and the other is matt finished from paint overspray......WOODSTEER, how hard would it be to do this? sand and reclear?

boxscore
10-05-2004, 06:52 AM
I am in the protective coatings business and IMHO these folks make a good product. They have different products for most uses. Floor coatings (http://www.musclegloss.com/)
Good luck.
OGS
They use "Granitex" product. Ever hear of the stuff?....wondering if it's quality stuff or not. Thx

OGShocker
10-05-2004, 07:24 AM
They use "Granitex" product. Ever hear of the stuff?....wondering if it's quality stuff or not. Thx
Granitex Flooring is a composition of multi-colored vinyl chips embedded in a pigmented base coat and sealed with successive coats of clear glaze. You choose both the colors and size of the chips to blend with your individual decor. Larger chips create the look of terrazzo or granite. Smaller chips give a hard surface carpet appearance. Clear abrasion-resistant polyurethane glaze coats produce a tough, easy-to-clean surface that does not require waxing. I think it may work well for you.
That is all I know. :D :D
OK, I Cut and Pasted that but, it sounded good didn't it.. ;)

boxscore
10-05-2004, 07:30 AM
lol....thanks brother.

Essex502
10-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Shoot....just an industrial grade grey paint is fine for me...I'm not intending to entertain in the garage! Looks great but $3,500-4,000 can be better spent on the granite countertops in the new kitchen! :wink:

ROZ
10-05-2004, 12:10 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/135cart_017-med.jpg
Heres a pic of our garage. The finished floors looks great, BUT if you are a project in the garage guy, I wouldn't do the floor! everytime I do a project, I have to red-rosin the floor so I wont damage it. I already have to resand the floor and reclear it from paint overspray from a paint project (oops :burningm: ) when its cleaned and washed, half the floor is pretty and glossy and the other is matt finished from paint overspray......WOODSTEER, how hard would it be to do this? sand and reclear?
Hey Toby, when's the last time you ised the bike :D

Stealth Marine
10-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Shoot....just an industrial grade grey paint is fine for me...I'm not intending to entertain in the garage! Looks great but $3,500-4,000 can be better spent on the granite countertops in the new kitchen! :wink:
I can certainly understand that thought train.
For me, this garage will never see a car in it.
its "my" place to work on all my projects and just a nice space to hang out in, so I really wanted it to be as nicely done as possible.

Stealth Marine
10-05-2004, 01:38 PM
This is the brand that I had installed.
VersaPox (http://deckcoatings.com/brochures/Versa-Pox-Granite.htm)
I used the "tuxedo" combination.
Then I had them use the CRU for the top coat.
Top Coat (http://deckcoatings.com/brochures/VersaThaneCRU.html)

Daytona19
10-05-2004, 02:00 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/262garagefloor1-med.jpg Here is what I used. Racedeck.com!! My floor was older and cracked and this was a great way to cover the cracks and old floor with a new look that wasnt a paint. I like it so far, easy to clean and has help up well.

Stealth Marine
10-05-2004, 02:19 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/262garagefloor1-med.jpg Here is what I used. Racedeck.com!! My floor was older and cracked and this was a great way to cover the cracks and old floor with a new look that wasnt a paint. I like it so far, easy to clean and has help up well.
How's it been holding up for you?
I was thinking of using something like this as a border around the edge of the garage where the workbench and cabinets are going in.

Waist Deep
10-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Need a floor done? email me 4 a quote. Its my biz.

Woodster
10-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Need a floor done? email me 4 a quote. Its my biz.
What brand material do you use?? Its my biz also :D Just curious..Lots and lots of diff stuff out there

Waist Deep
10-05-2004, 07:49 PM
100% Solids Epoxy, Dont use that water based stuff. It will fall apart be4 you know it.

Essex502
10-06-2004, 06:42 AM
I can certainly understand that thought train.
For me, this garage will never see a car in it.
its "my" place to work on all my projects and just a nice space to hang out in, so I really wanted it to be as nicely done as possible.
The only time I'll be "working" out there is cleaning the boat! :D Cars, trucks and the boat will be what's in there. I just want something neat and nicer looking than bare concrete.

ROZ
10-06-2004, 06:56 AM
Why not stain then seal it? seen some trick looking stuff... I think its what I'm going to do...

Stealth Marine
10-06-2004, 12:45 PM
The only time I'll be "working" out there is cleaning the boat! :D Cars, trucks and the boat will be what's in there. I just want something neat and nicer looking than bare concrete.
Sounds very much like what I was after.

Waist Deep
10-06-2004, 05:20 PM
If you stain it, use a acid based stain so it will get into the concrete pores. Wait a day, apply again. Then clean up with water. It will be messy, but you need to rinse it before you seal it. The acid will eat right through the sealer.
Tried to get mail, but could not. I'll pick it up this weekend

Extreme Custom Painting
10-07-2004, 06:33 AM
Hi Guys and Gals,
This is Tim from Extreme Custom Painting & Services if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me, post in the forum or call me at 928-486-9206.
Thanks Again form Extreme Custom Painting
Tim Slater

kidstuf
10-07-2004, 09:03 AM
we just got our garage floor done this week... they charged us $3 per foot for the granite look so it was $1800 for our 3 car garage... it came out awesome... www.robersonfloors.com

boxscore
10-07-2004, 09:49 AM
we just got our garage floor done this week... they charged us $3 per foot for the granite look so it was $1800 for our 3 car garage... it came out awesome... www.robersonfloors.com
Where is this company located?

Stealth Marine
10-07-2004, 10:26 AM
Certainly makes a HUGE difference in the overall look and feel of the garage!

kidstuf
10-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Where is this company located?
i believe they are out of orange county...