PDA

View Full Version : Neopreme pan gasket for 460 ford

Mighty Thor
10-04-2004, 08:49 PM
For three days I searched for some sort of rubber pan gasket for the 460 that came with my project boat. At least 7 different parts people told me that you can't get a rubber gasket for the 460. Finally one guy at Napa told me that there is such a deal but it only fits the new engines because the holes all have an anti crush sleeve and the four end holes aren't big enough to get the bolts through. He said he had tried to drill the holes bigger and tore the gasket to hell. At thirty five bucks that's a pretty expensive lesson.
I wanted to look at one of these things and they had one in stock. Even more interesting is that the thing is one piece, that is it incorporates the end gaskets and the pan rail gaskets into one moulded piece. I decided to buy it and try to figure out a good way to make the end holes larger.
Actually it was simple, take an exacto knife and carefully cut around the outside of the four end sleeves and you end up with the holes just a little larger than necessary. It should still seal fine and you just have to make sure not to overtighten the end bolts. I suspect that there are some similar gaskets out there that may incorporate a much larger crush sleeve that you might not want to remove completely. In that case you would drill a hole through a couple of pieces of plywood big enough to support the crush sleeve and still leave you room to work. Clamp the sleeve between the wood so that you can see through all the holes and carefully file away the sleeve with a rat tail file until your bolt will fit through. Do not try to drill the sleeve, there just isn't enough to hold onto and the bit will grab it and tear your gasket.

Squirtin Thunder
10-05-2004, 03:01 AM
Whats the part # ????
My '91 7.5L has one of those too.
Jim

Mighty Thor
10-05-2004, 07:59 PM
My bad, Iwas so thrilled that I immediatly took it home and put it on without keeping the wrapper. I got it at Napa so they should be able to find one easily.

Squirtin Thunder
10-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Thor,
How are we suposed to duplicate if you don't make notes. Dammit man work with me. Ford has them also. I think they started in '89 or so.
Jim

Mighty Thor
10-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Damn it Jim!!! I'm a doctor not a ... opp, wrong script.

Mighty Thor
10-06-2004, 02:01 PM
ok, ok, here you old grouch. Napa part # os32494 onepiece neoprene gasket manf dana/victor

Tempest38
09-20-2005, 07:12 AM
For an alternative if you have one that doesn't want to seal. Go to Ford and get the gasket glue for a PowerStroke. Just don't let them give you one that has started to harden. That stuff works wonders for sealing anything. The P/S pans don't even have a gasket, just this stuff.

victorfb
09-20-2005, 08:39 AM
removing the crush sleeve is a bit scary to me. make sure you use some silicone around those 4 bolt holes, and yes be careful not to over tighten. did you try useing a punch instead of drilling? a two sided hole punch like a sheet metal punch tool would work since the sleeve would be supported while the cutter punches through to make the larger hole. that way you still have some of the crush sleeve left to keep thickness correct. maybe another thing to consider if you really want to use these gaskets is to make the bolt hole smaller by installing one of those threaded plugs. you know, one of those heli coil type thread menders were you over size the hole then insert the plug to bring it back to original size. well you just dont over size the hole. bingo, now you use a smaller bolt. just a thought.

Mighty Thor
09-20-2005, 02:59 PM
I didn't try a punch because, first I did not have one, second, the crush sleeve is hard plastic and I would suspect it would break rather than cut easily, third, I had already been warned that the drill would catch and tear the gasket, and Finally. I was certain that I could set the 4 end bolts without going gorilla on them. I have been messing with SB chevy gaskets for so long that I am used to the fine art of tightening a gasket that wants to flatten out of the cover. When the engine blew this summer the gasket was in fine shape and I expect to reuse it on the new engine. If you do try the punch, be sure to post your results so we can all benefit from your experience.

victorfb
09-20-2005, 06:54 PM
i think i may have an old gen5 BBC pan gasket laying around that uses the same sort of anti crush washer. ill try the punch on that and see what happens.

Mighty Thor
09-22-2005, 10:26 PM
I guess a person could cut out the factory crush sleeve and replace it with one with a proper thickness and diameter hole. no real reason why it has to be attached to the gasket and sealant would stop any leaks.