PDA

View Full Version : Radar Detectors

Parker Dreamin
10-05-2004, 04:02 PM
I am looking to get a radar Detector here in the next couple of days. Looking for a portable one. What is the best out on the market right now. My price range is $250-$450. I have heard the K40 and Valentine are good but do not know to much about them. Any help would be great......and what price did you pay for it ???

racecar.hotshoe
10-05-2004, 04:04 PM
I use the passport 7500.............http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/SigsAndAvatars/Smilies/Score-101010.gif

XtrmWakeborder
10-05-2004, 04:07 PM
do a search on k40 someone on here sells them or something....it was either in the tow rigs or audio/visual section.

Tab
10-05-2004, 04:09 PM
I have two Pasports and a Valentine One. The Valentine One is absolutely the schiznitz. I freakin' love that thing.

MsDrmr
10-05-2004, 04:09 PM
I am looking to get a radar Detector here in the next couple of days. Looking for a portable one. What is the best out on the market right now. My price range is $250-$450. I have heard the K40 and Valentine are good but do not know to much about them. Any help would be great......and what price did you pay for it ???
boy you really are running it hard with the hopes of running it harder aren't ya :D

Parker Dreamin
10-05-2004, 04:10 PM
I am trying to run it harder and faster without the fuzz getting in my way......

Kilrtoy
10-05-2004, 04:12 PM
HEY I'll save you the $250 to $450 for only 50 BIG BUCKS GUARANTEED TO WORK,
Oh shit I'll just tell everyone,
DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT
and you will have no worries. If that doesnt work nothing will
otherwise write to HAVASU HANGIN he is an EXPERT in this field..... :D

Parker Dreamin
10-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Slib77 can hook me up with the K40 portable but I just want to see what else is out there...... He says the Valentine is the way to go, but cost a bit more.

Havasu Hangin'
10-05-2004, 04:23 PM
...otherwise write to HAVASU HANGIN he is an EXPERT in this field..... :D
Valentine wins the Car & Driver tests almost every year. The Ka band sensitivity is awesome. Number of signals, what type, strength, and direction is very nice to have.
My V1 consistantly outsmarts the police...
...which is not too tough, right Kilrtoy? :cool:

Kilrtoy
10-05-2004, 04:32 PM
My V1 consistantly outsmarts the police...
...which is not too tough, right Kilrtoy? :cool:
Very easy, cops only pull over innocent people and harrass law abiding citizens :rollside:

Kilrtoy
10-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Another example of dumb cops
A blonde police officer pulls over a blonde in a convertible sports car for speeding. She walks over to the car and asks the blonde driver for some I.D. The blonde convertible driver searches through her purse in vain.
Finally she asks, "What does it look like?" The blonde police officer tells her, "It's that thing with your picture on it."
The blonde driver searches for a few more seconds, pulls out her compact, opens it, and sure enough sees her picture. She hands the compact to the blonde cop.
The blonde cop looks at the compact for a few seconds, then rolls her eyes, hands the compact back to the blonde convertible driver, and says, "If you had told me you were a police officer when I first pulled you over, we could have avoided this whole thing."

Havasu Hangin'
10-05-2004, 04:35 PM
Very easy, cops only pull over innocent people and harrass law abiding citizens :rollside:
Only the lazy ones.
But the way I figure it, the lazy ones (who always leave the gun on in their lap) won't be able to have any kids, anyway... :messedup:

Parker Dreamin
10-05-2004, 04:41 PM
What is the going price for the Valentine ? and where should I look at buying it.

Kilrtoy
10-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Only the lazy ones.
But the way I figure it, the lazy ones (who always leave the gun on in their lap) won't be able to have any kids, anyway... :messedup:
That is cuz they are too fat and the JOHNSON is too small to reach the hole.... :redface:

Havasu Hangin'
10-05-2004, 04:52 PM
What is the going price for the Valentine ? and where should I look at buying it.
Try here... www.valentine1.com
They are $400- mine has paid for itself a few times over.
He doesn't sell from retailers...just direct. Also, if there are advances, you just send them your dectector and they will upgrade it (instead of buying a whole new one).
That is cuz they are too fat and the JOHNSON is too small to reach the hole.... :redface:
Do you think the fat guys can get those mopeds wound up enough to actually catch someone?
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/speedo.jpg
Oh wait...that's not "fat"...it's the "vest" that makes them look fat...

RiverOtter
10-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Valentine is the best. I have one its saved me many times. I read several tests in various car mags. They all said spend the extra bux and get the Valentine.

Parker Dreamin
10-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Valentine is the best. I have one its saved me many times. I read several tests in various car mags. They all said spend the extra bux and get the Valentine.
Sounds like you all are leaning towards the Valentine for $399. I will see what others have to say throughout the night then pull the trigger in the AM. Thank you all for the heads up. I dont like to speed but going 65 in the middle of nowhere is just no fun.

goneboatin
10-05-2004, 08:18 PM
There are no options - Valentine 1 all the way. You won't be sorry. If you cheap out now, you'll just buy it later. Do it now and you'ved save $250 already.

moneysucker
10-05-2004, 08:45 PM
I use the cobra $85 model from Pep Boys as does my brother, Both driving a lot for work all over the west coast and have not gotten tickets since the purchase of them. And one or both of us was dangerously close to losing our license. Just my $.02

MagicMtnDan
10-05-2004, 09:38 PM
Valentine1 is the absolute best. Once you use one with the arrows, signal strength indicator and band type you'll never understand how anyone can use another brand. I've got two of them - one in each vehicle - and they're worth every penny.
PS: do a search on Valentine1 and you'll find the previous posts on this subject. Been discussed here many times.

Brooski
10-05-2004, 09:53 PM
Those must be some pretty high gears in that thing. 110 and barely over 3500 rpm? I wish my truck did that, but then again, could I still pull the trailer and boat.......

Kilrtoy
10-05-2004, 10:14 PM
This is what 3500 RPMS should look like
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/111P1010014-med.JPG

Kilrtoy
10-05-2004, 10:15 PM
WATCH out he has you in his sights
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/111cops1-med.jpg

JustMVG
10-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Kilr is your GT Stock, then you have the 3.55s in it, put it back into 4th and run it to the rev limiter and then take a pic ;) if your gonna keep it get the 3.73s you'll like em takes a little off the top end but you get there alot quicker
MVG

Kilrtoy
10-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Thats not MY car

riverbound
10-05-2004, 10:31 PM
The valentine and the K40 are pretty much the same (k40 took the valentine and copied it). The K40 also has the guarantee that if you get a ticket using their product they will pay the ticket for you. The k40 is also about $299. I used to use it before I got the built in system with the laser difuser (k40) This system is truly the shiznit. You can actually get hit with the laser and it will send an error back to the gun and lock it up for 6 seconds. and it is completely concealed. The only visible part of the system are two leds that can be mounted anywhere in the vehicle (mine are mounted behind two of the dummy lights that are not used. The difusers and receivers (front and rear) are also concealed (front behind billet grill) (rear in tailight) So unless the cop tears my truck apart they will never know what I have. Even then they would have to know what they are looking for to find it. The price for the permanent system is a little on the pricey side ($1200 inst.) but I have not gotten a speeding ticket (in my truck) in 5yrs.
Another way to avoid the speedong tickets is buy a cheap CB radio and listen to the truckers. they will tell you where the popos are. Also watch the truckers, if they are all driving 55 that means that there are cops in the area if you see all the trucks hauling a$$ that means it is all clear.

Jordy
10-05-2004, 10:32 PM
WATCH out he has you in his sights
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/111cops1-med.jpg
That looks like entrapment to me. :hammer2: :eek: :D :D :D

JustMVG
10-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Thats not MY car
Oooops i forgot that it's the Bosses car right :wink:

Kilrtoy
10-05-2004, 10:37 PM
The valentine and the K40 are pretty much the same (k40 took the valentine and copied it). The K40 also has the guarantee that if you get a ticket using their product they will pay the ticket for you. The k40 is also about $299. I used to use it before I got the built in system with the laser difuser (k40) This system is truly the shiznit. You can actually get hit with the laser and it will send an error back to the gun and lock it up for 6 seconds. and it is completely concealed. The only visible part of the system are two leds that can be mounted anywhere in the vehicle (mine are mounted behind two of the dummy lights that are not used. The difusers and receivers (front and rear) are also concealed (front behind billet grill) (rear in tailight) So unless the cop tears my truck apart they will never know what I have. Even then they would have to know what they are looking for to find it. The price for the permanent system is a little on the pricey side ($1200 inst.) but I have not gotten a speeding ticket (in my truck) in 5yrs.
Another way to avoid the speedong tickets is buy a cheap CB radio and listen to the truckers. they will tell you where the popos are. Also watch the truckers, if they are all driving 55 that means that there are cops in the area if you see all the trucks hauling a$$ that means it is all clear.
NOW this is amazing to me, what lengths people will go to to break the law. That is unbelievable and its a CRIME:messedup:

riverbound
10-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Hey I'm not saying I payed that much. I just said they could use my truck and they returned it that way for free!!! who am I to turn down free product.

JustMVG
10-05-2004, 10:43 PM
NOW this is amazing to me, what lenghts people will go to to break the law. That is unbelievable
Really!! Yup thats what you have to do to have fun nowadays, and this is nothing compared to those that race the canyons and do speed runs late at night using radios and trunked systems believe me you have no idea what lengths some will go to to have a little illegal fun....MVG

Havasu Hangin'
10-06-2004, 03:56 AM
Those must be some pretty high gears in that thing. 110 and barely over 3500 rpm? I wish my truck did that, but then again, could I still pull the trailer and boat.......
It does look like I had "a little left"....hehehe. :cool:
Well...that is obviously a photoshop job.
See that little light above the tach? That is the cruise control. There's no way I'd cruise at 110 MPH. :jawdrop:

RiverOtter
10-06-2004, 04:30 AM
JMHO - The "copy" is never as good as the original. :cool:

Garrddogg
10-06-2004, 06:48 AM
Valentine1 is the absolute best

Parker Dreamin
10-06-2004, 07:04 AM
Valentine1 is the absolute best
I pulled the trigger on the Valentine.. Thank you all for you help and input.

RiverOtter
10-06-2004, 07:14 AM
You'll be very pleased ;)

Garrddogg
10-06-2004, 08:47 AM
dont forget the remote display and hard wire kit..
Just ask Frenchie.. :coffeycup

Stealth Marine
10-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Now that you bought it, there is one more advantage.
I have owned a Valentine unit for many many years.
And every couple of years you can send the unit back in and they will do a full upgrade of all the internal circuitry so it never becomes obsolete.

Parker Dreamin
10-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Now that you bought it, there is one more advantage.
I have owned a Valentine unit for many many years.
And every couple of years you can send the unit back in and they will do a full upgrade of all the internal circuitry so it never becomes obsolete.
That is awesome... An owner that stands behind there product and does not make you buy another unit for the ugrade. I am only going to have it in my truck when going to the river so I am not getting the hard wire kit. If a Chipper sees the Valentine on my dash will there be a problem ? Are the illegal ?

Havasu Hangin'
10-06-2004, 01:00 PM
If a Chipper sees the Valentine on my dash will there be a problem ? Are the illegal ?
Not unless you use it to set your open beer on...