PDA

View Full Version : Truck Computer Reprogram

goneboatin
10-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Has anyone out there had the computer in their truck reprogrammed. I'm not talking about the Hypertech or SuperChips reprogram, but a total reprogram. How's the outcome? Is it worth it? Did you do any other mods? Who did it? Is it able to pass the California smog test?

roln 20s
10-05-2004, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure about reprogramming everything, or even who does it. But I did just install a Hypertech Power Reprogrammer III on my 5.3L 2004 Silverado. I changed the shift points, recalibrated the speedo for my new 22s, reprogrammed the max top end, fuel type, etc... Definately a difference and well worth my $325, literally took 5 minutes to program, and I carry it with me often so I can change it anytime back to stock, or change anything I feel like. I'm curious to know what the Complete Reprogram thing is.
Roln 20s

dc96819
10-05-2004, 09:46 PM
I passed with the predator custome tune.If you disconnected the battery recently it will fail.Here is the how to fix the flags.
http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html
Heres a excelent programmer,be sure you know before plugging in numbers.
http://www.hptuners.com/
Theres other very good programmers LS1 Edit with efi live,or auto tap
These programmers work best with heavy mods.

goneboatin
10-06-2004, 06:28 PM
My '04 Silverado with the 6.0 is pretty doggy, I've got the Hypertech unit, but other than firming up the shifts (only 4th gear), and making the engine ping on the 93 octane rating, they pretty much just took my $300. That is why I'm looking at computer reprogramming. I've talked to Wester's, but I'm kind of leary of losing my original computer, if there is some kind of glitch, what do I do? Has anyone out there done this?

100mbs
10-07-2004, 08:43 AM
I was looking at the Hypertech to do my '04 2500 6.0 also. You say that it didnt do much for your truck? Is your truck stock or all jacked up?
My '04 Silverado with the 6.0 is pretty doggy, I've got the Hypertech unit, but other than firming up the shifts (only 4th gear), and making the engine ping on the 93 octane rating, they pretty much just took my $300. That is why I'm looking at computer reprogramming. I've talked to Wester's, but I'm kind of leary of losing my original computer, if there is some kind of glitch, what do I do? Has anyone out there done this?

STV_Keith
10-07-2004, 11:44 AM
GM gas truck...call Steve over at TTS Power Systems. 310-669-8101. Definitely the best GM programmer out there. GM has him do their custom, 1-off SEMA type stuff.
The guy is good.

goneboatin
10-08-2004, 09:08 PM
I was looking at the Hypertech to do my '04 2500 6.0 also. You say that it didnt do much for your truck? Is your truck stock or all jacked up?
The only mechanical mods to my truck are just a set of 20" wheels & tires, otherwise it's stock. I used the Hypertech unit to recalibrate the speedo. Theres got to be a way to get more bang for the buck.
I did talk to someone a performance shop that said a free flow intake unit like the K&N FIPK or Volant unit and cat-back exhaust system would wake the truck up. Any of you guys done one of those intake dealios?
I've also been told that because the 6.0 has a different firing order than the 5.3, most mufflers sound like sh*t. But 2 locations told me that the Flowmaster 70 series is the hot ticket. Not too loud....Any input?

schmaubba
10-08-2004, 09:28 PM
had the 8.1 with the allison redone..it use to shut off at 113...not anymore!!!!!! :2purples: :2purples: :eek: :eek:

Mandelon
10-08-2004, 09:54 PM
The throttle position sensor on the side of the throttle body sometimes build up corrosion on the connector, as this corrosion builds it allows moisture in and effects voltage readings that are sent to the PCM. When this happens and improper signal is sent and fuel mixture can be effected until the moisture is cleared either by engine temp or by electrical current flow.
All you have to do is take the connector off, visually inspect and then clean it as needed as long as the connections have not been compromised.
BTW, I agree with the previous post that before you hang a new battery check your starter and battery connections first.
Hey, I am confused too. :sleeping:

dc96819
10-09-2004, 05:40 AM
The only mechanical mods to my truck are just a set of 20" wheels & tires, otherwise it's stock. I used the Hypertech unit to recalibrate the speedo. Theres got to be a way to get more bang for the buck.
I did talk to someone a performance shop that said a free flow intake unit like the K&N FIPK or Volant unit and cat-back exhaust system would wake the truck up. Any of you guys done one of those intake dealios?
I've also been told that because the 6.0 has a different firing order than the 5.3, most mufflers sound like sh*t. But 2 locations told me that the Flowmaster 70 series is the hot ticket. Not too loud....Any input?
Get a supercharger you wouldent need anything elese,but trucks are like
boats theres never an end for performance :D

goneboatin
10-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Get a supercharger you wouldent need anything elese,but trucks are like
boats theres never an end for performance :D
I thought about a supercharger, but after reading about Sige's probs with his Whipplecharger, I've backed down on that idea.
Maybe when my motor goes south, I'll just drop in a crate motor from the new C6 Vette - still a 6.0 & a hell of a lot more power. Plus GM gives a 50,000 mile warranty on thier production crate motors.