PDA

View Full Version : Question about Whale Tails on sterndrive

Mighty Thor
10-05-2004, 08:30 PM
I have inherited a set of Whale Tails that bolt onto the stern drive just above the propeller. Before I drill any holes I wanted to ask the panel whether these things are worthwhile. I have a 75 Sea Ray, 19 feet with a 233 mercruiser outdrive. I have read only the advertisements for these bolt on plastic pieces. Do they really do what the adds say?

cracker
10-05-2004, 10:50 PM
I have one on my boat 23 foot baja, it definately helps getting on plane and staying on plane but knoks about 5mph off the top end. This is my experience, I've had it for two years.

Mighty Thor
10-06-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm not really that worried about my top speed cause I tend to drive by RPM anyhow, but is this something that can be compensated for with a prop change. I intend to use this boat primarily as the "pull the kids on whatever they want to ride" rig so I need to be able to get up to 12 to 17 fairly quick but don't care if I ever see 40 with this boat.

75spectra
10-06-2004, 04:54 PM
You got plenty of power in that SeaRay, buy a smaller prop to "play" with. I'm in the marine service field and I HATE those whale tails.... its a "band-aid" for a improperly set up boat!?

Mighty Thor
10-06-2004, 07:22 PM
I should clarify that I have not had any trouble with the sea ray getting up on plane. I got these things cause the Guy across the street bought them and when he put them on his mercruiser the prop hit the screws. He got mad and told me if I wanted them I could have them. I don't really like the guy all that much so I didn't tell him that all he needed to do was turn the screws to point up. My Bad.

cracker
10-07-2004, 10:09 AM
indeed a band aid, I will be adding a blower to my engine this winter, I really dont like the look of it but I can honestly tell you they work, It allowed me to go up in pitch and still plane so that I could pull tubes and such. Also the prop didnt tend to blow out so bad......

TCHB
10-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Yes the do work just like hydraulic plates on the rear of the boat.

HP350SC
10-10-2004, 12:57 AM
They are junk. Toss in trash. If you're concerned with skiing and getting on plane buy a Merc. High-five. Sorry to be so blunt, but it's late and I'm going to bed! :smile:

switchin'addiction
10-13-2004, 07:02 PM
junk....if you don't need em' don't start drillin'. prop chang IMO does the same thing

mbrown2
10-13-2004, 07:28 PM
Mine work perfectly fine as they were intended....and they don't really look like Bandaids :confused: :hammerhea :2purples: :shift:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/17PICT0072-med.JPG

CheckmateFever
10-14-2004, 06:20 PM
I have one on my 21' Checkmate 350/260hp Alpha and i dunno weather to take it off or leave it on. It's one of those plastic type whale tales. It does help get on plain, no doubt about that, but i dunno if it's hurting my top end or not. Next season i will probably expirement with out it, see if i can pick up some speed, all though the previous owner said he saw no change in top end what-so-ever. I'm more concerned with my top end speed, if your just looking for better plaining they work well for that!

Mighty Thor
10-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I don't need top end for this boat cause I got a couple of jets for that. This is our "whole family on the lake with the tube, kneeboard, dog and smores" boat. The top speed pulling a tube is less than 25 so anything over that is mostly for heading home.

Super D
10-15-2004, 08:04 PM
I believe it will help if you are not planing as quickly as you want or while under heavy load. But, if there is no problem, then why look for a solution? I use one because my boat didn't plan e as fast as I wanted - now it is much better.
Good Luck! ;)