PDA

View Full Version : Diverter brand comparison..Pros & Cons

poncho-pwr
04-12-2006, 08:08 PM
I would like to hear everyones opinions on the different available diverters on the market and what your experiences have been. The only diverters I am aware of are the American Turbine Trim, Aggressor Trim, and of course the Place units. I was reading about the new Aggressor and it has an up lock so that you can preset where you want it to stop without having to stare at a trim indicator gauge. I guess that isn't a big deal if you run a manual though. So let's hear it, what are your likes and dislikes?

HammerDown
04-13-2006, 05:53 AM
I've got the Place unit, it's ok but then again so was the original Berk Jet-o-vater.

502 JET
04-13-2006, 05:56 AM
I have a manual Place divirter and it works fine for me.

BigBlockBaja
04-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Same here. Manual Place diverter on a Dominator. Love it.

Taylorman
04-13-2006, 07:34 AM
I have the American Turbine and i like it.

Squirtcha?
04-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Manual Place now. Used to have a jetovator, but sold it because I couldn't run a droop or snoot with it. Other than that it worked just fine.

IMPATIENT 1
04-13-2006, 08:31 AM
manual place brand divertor here too.with alittle grinding here and there, you can get huge roosters without wedge or snoot.

Aluminum Squirt
04-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Hydraulic Place brand diverter. Worked well and was fairly reliable. Did Have a few issues with sand binding it up in the shallows. I have since gone to a non-adjustable steel white water nozzle for racing purposes and won't go back. I'd say when my boat was in recreational trim, it was a good product and I would use it again. Not sure if the other brands are better, but I wouldn't have a lake boat without some sort of adjustable nozzle-Aluminum Squirt

Duane HTP
04-13-2006, 08:43 AM
They all work good. But after selling many of each, I would recommend the American Turbine. Least leakage and most degrees of usable movement. Just my .o2.

spectras only
04-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Had a manual diverter in the late 70's ,early 80's . It's great for its simplicity , but since I boat in the ocean as well as the lakes and rivers ,the Morse cable was an issue always. The cable's inner jacket was steel ,while the cable itself was s/s . The water would seep inside no matter how much you took care of it by lubricating it. Used Place hydraulics since its inception , and like the benefit of the precise infinite adjustment ,versus the slack that's inherent with cables. Never needed trim indicators either ,cause you can feel when the boat aired out at the right level .

slotracer
04-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Manual Place now. Used to have a jetovator, but sold it because I couldn't run a droop or snoot with it. Other than that it worked just fine.
i bought it and it still works great :rollside:

poncho-pwr
04-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Good stuff guys, keep it coming. I have seen a few a few deals on manual diverters that guys got at really good prices from CP but it appears that they have an el cheapo cable with their kit which I don't like. I have also been told by a couple of pump builders to beware of the cheap priced deals on diverters because some of them come with inferior cables. I already know who I will be buying my diverter from (thanks for all your help on the phone Duane) I just wanted everyones opinion on brand because he can get them all. After the phone service I got from Duane yesterday it looks like I have found the pump guy for me. I called all the gurus by the way and most were very helpful on the phone.

sleekcrafter
04-13-2006, 11:05 AM
I liked the The turbine trim also, very effective, but seemed to make the steering hard when hard on the throttle. :)
Sleek

poncho-pwr
04-13-2006, 12:31 PM
I liked the The turbine trim also, very effective, but seemed to make the steering hard when hard on the throttle.
The above qoute makes me a little gunshy on the American Turbine trim. Do the others do this or did sleekcrafter get a faulty unit from the factory?

Squirtin Thunder
04-13-2006, 12:55 PM
It could be just the way his steering system is on his boat.
1) Steering cable much have some movement at the transum
2) Remove all possible binds in steering system
3) Buy a Rex Marine swivel kit or comparable system

poncho-pwr
04-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I guess you're right squirtin thunder. As it is my steering works perfect, and I will be adding a snoot instead of a droop so hopefully everything will work the same.

Aduner2
04-13-2006, 01:49 PM
I had an A/T Trim hydrualic on my boat. It worked well. I kept wearing out the lower steering bushing thou, replaced it a couple times in the four years I had it. It would get loose, making the steering more difficult. Very easy to replace.

Cheap Thrills
04-13-2006, 02:29 PM
I have a Jet-O-Vator with electric trim works good but could use a little more up angle.
C.T. :wink:

Squirtcha?
04-13-2006, 02:49 PM
I have a Jet-O-Vator with electric trim works good but could use a little more up angle.
After doing this little mod, my jetovator went way way higher than my stock Place Diverter does.
http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/files/upstop.JPG

IMPATIENT 1
04-13-2006, 07:42 PM
I See Squirch Is A Fan Of The Grinder Too! You Can Do That To A Manual Palce Divertor Too, Just Not In The Same Spots. That's What I Did After A Info Hook-up From Devilman.it Gave Me A Extra Notch Up Angle And Looks Like It'll Shoot Down Low Flying Plane, Haven't Been On The Water Yet To See Though. Just Be Mindfull Of The Nozzle O-ring Sealing Surfaces,don't Want To Touch Them.

Squirtcha?
04-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Impatient,
You still have some photos of the mod for the PD?

IMPATIENT 1
04-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Impatient,
give me your email and i'll run out to my shop and take some for ya.be back in a second!

Cheap Thrills
04-14-2006, 02:49 AM
[QUOTE=Squirtcha?]After doing this little mod, my jetovator went way way higher than my stock Place Diverter does.
I did that to it already with the exception of the wedge but I still need (want) a little more up to air it out a little more and for jet ski target practice. :D
You can see the angle of the transom is a little steep.
The pic in my sig line is full up trim , foot on the floor 4,200rpm on a A cut imp. fresh build Berk.1967 16' Tahiti ?/Jolly Roger ?/who knows ?
anyhow no real complaints with the Jet-O-Vator. it does what it's suppose to. I wasn't thrilled about the electric trim idea when I first got it. but so far it's worked without the first glitch. I made a "wedges wanted" post in the spam section.
Cheers

Devilman
04-14-2006, 04:22 AM
Impatient,
I still have the diverter pics I showed Impatient1 as well... If you wanna check 'em out, lemme know.

Squirtcha?
04-14-2006, 06:21 AM
I made a "wedges wanted" post in the spam section.
There ya go.
D man or Impatient here's the email
My email (danimal2@earthlink.net)
Thanks guys

Devilman
04-14-2006, 06:38 AM
There ya go.
Thanks guys
Email sent.
No problem, hope they come in handy....
If for some reason you don't get them, you can see them in the HB Image Gallery under Devilman1... Guess I coulda told ya that to begin with, DOH! :D

IMPATIENT 1
04-14-2006, 06:56 AM
I still have the diverter pics I showed Impatient1 as well... If you wanna check 'em out, lemme know.
THANKS AGAIN DEVILMAN.I'LL POST SOME PICS OF WHAT ROOSTER I HAD BEFORE MOD AND AFTER MOD AS SOON AS INTERIOR GETS BACK.

IMPATIENT 1
04-14-2006, 07:02 AM
There ya go.
Thanks guys
check yo email squircha. kinda big pics so it might take a second.let me know if ya get em.

Devilman
04-14-2006, 07:11 AM
THANKS AGAIN DEVILMAN.I'LL POST SOME PICS OF WHAT ROOSTER I HAD BEFORE MOD AND AFTER MOD AS SOON AS INTERIOR GETS BACK.
Hell, no problem. Glad it helped ya out. I know it doesn't do anything performance-wise, but its cool to throw a tall ass tail. :D Last time I was at the river, I tried hitting the train as it crossed over, not really thinking I had a chance in hell of reaching it. Missed the train but got the bridge. :crossx: Friggin tail was higher than I thought it was, LOL.... :cool:

Rondane
04-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Good stuff guys, keep it coming. I have seen a few a few deals on manual diverters that guys got at really good prices from CP but it appears that they have an el cheapo cable with their kit which I don't like. I have also been told by a couple of pump builders to beware of the cheap priced deals on diverters because some of them come with inferior cables. I already know who I will be buying my diverter from (thanks for all your help on the phone Duane) I just wanted everyones opinion on brand because he can get them all. After the phone service I got from Duane yesterday it looks like I have found the pump guy for me. I called all the gurus by the way and most were very helpful on the phone.
What is considered a "cheapo" cable? I couple of friends got theirs from CP and havent' had a problem and it's been a few years now. I believe they are teleflex but not sure? I just wonder if you got told that because they can't match price with CP and have to come up with something to justify. Don has mentioned on occasion place diverters are kind of a "lost leader" now a days. Anyone have a picture of the agressor trim? Did not know they made one
Did you call don and see what he thinks? lol. j/k
rondane

poncho-pwr
04-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Hello Rondane, I haven't actually seen this "cheap" cable but I was told by three different pump builders that there are inferior cables included with some of the price leader kits. None of them were trying to sell me anything, they were just offering advice and told me to beware.
As far as calling Don goes, well I don't know who you are refering to. Who is Don, what does he do and what is his number? Thanks

Hallett19
04-14-2006, 10:32 AM
I have a hydraulic Place, easy as pie to install, worked perfect the first time out and havent had a problem since.
I think it all just pretty much comes down to how much you want to spend or if you want to modify something to get the result you are looking for, in my experience (and I did alot of homework before I bought) they are all good units, even the jet-o-vator, I just got a smokin deal on a used Place, which in the boating world, is sometimes likened to finding a pot of gold :D

SmokinLowriderSS
04-14-2006, 01:53 PM
As far as "cheap" cables, you CAN get non-stainless cable, and without the teflon liner inside the cable jacket. That's pretty much the "cheapie". The best cables are made of Stainless and have the teflon inner lining between the braid and the cable itself. At that point, I doubt the material of the braid makes much difference.
Did a little digging, looks like todays supreme cables are jacketing the core cable too so as to have a non-metal on the non-metal liner. Should ALMOST stop corrosion troubles.
Here's some add-fluff from Morse, it does have the facts of construction tho.:
Perhaps the most recognized premium control cable in the industry (33C Red Jacket) The Teleflex/Morse Supreme Red Jacket Cable has an inner core that is encased in nylon that travels back and forth with in a high-density poly liner. This creates a smooth and efficient movement and increases efficiency by up to 45%. Recommended for both inboard applications, and outboard applications

poncho-pwr
04-14-2006, 11:59 PM
That makes sense smokinlowriderss, thanks for the info.

1968Droptop
04-15-2006, 07:28 AM
My Buddy's boat has a hydralic, and I have a manual PD. He likes how fast I can go from one extreme to another. His takes a few seconds to do the same thing. His is more tunable, as it doesn't have preset notches. And I think the extra handle in the boat looks :cool: :cool: :cool: .