PDA

View Full Version : Berkely Pump Problems

NUTDRAW
04-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi - I have an old Berkeley 12JC jet drive in my 74 Holmes that i am trying to replace the impeller and shaft on. I have removed the trasome adapter and bowl to find that the oil seal and bushings inside the bowl are gone - no lube or rear support for the shaft has caused some major scoring. I unbolted the pump suction piece from its base but it would not budge. I then lifted tha back of the motor up a bit using a hoist to take the wieght off the shaft but i still can not get the pump to seperate from its intake base. There are no bolts holding it there just the seal and probably some silicone but it wont move at all. I even tried using the hoist to lift the pump away from the base but when i started lifting the hoist the whole back of the boat started to rise - the pump never broke free or even budged. Any suggestions? Can i replace the shaft without pulling the pump out? I think its possible but probably a pain in the butt. Any thoughts on why this thing wont break free? Thanks.

sdba069
04-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Pull the engine.

Squirtin Thunder
04-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Any thoughts on why this thing wont break free? Thanks.
Its stuck !!!!
It will come loose, make sure all the bolts are removed.

502 JET
04-13-2006, 05:50 AM
Double check that all the bolts are removed!!I had the same problem with my pump.I sharpened a putty knife scraper and tapped it in between the suction housing and intake.Dont tap it in too deep.Work your way around and it will break loose.

sdba069
04-13-2006, 09:32 AM
I digress........ If you are certain all the bolts are out and to avoid taking a chance on damaging the suction housing, pull the engine.

slotracer
04-13-2006, 09:43 AM
been there done that. make life easy and pull the engine then use some shape putty knifes it will come loose :cry:

NUTDRAW
04-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks for all the help. Looks like i got a lot more work to do. I spoke with Greg at GS Marine in Corona, i think he is the guy that does Jet Tech. Anyway, he said to actually take a flat head screw driver and GENTLY tap it directly below the cast rib on the back of the pump housing to break the seal. He said he has done this and it works. Has anyone done this succesfully?

sdba069
04-13-2006, 09:18 PM
If you pull the engine, there's no need in pulling the suction housing. You can service everything with the suction housing still in the boat with the motor out. remove the bearing cap and drive the shaft out the front, assuming you have have the bowl and impeller off.

Squirtin Thunder
04-13-2006, 10:05 PM
This guy must have got the same advise !!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2311jeff_boat_001-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2311jeff_boat_002-med.jpg

SmokinLowriderSS
04-14-2006, 02:43 AM
If you pull the engine, there's no need in pulling the suction housing. You can service everything with the suction housing still in the boat with the motor out. remove the bearing cap and drive the shaft out the front, assuming you have have the bowl and impeller off.
sdba's right. If there's no need to pull the suction housing from damage. don't. Just get the engine out of the way and pull the shaft & thrust bearing out the front side (after taking the impeller off the back side, yea :p ).

Cheap Thrills
04-14-2006, 03:01 AM
I dont know about the JC maybe able to do the same as I did on the JA.
If you can get to and remove the snap ring on the shaft in front of the thrust bearing and the bowl is off , the shaft will come out.
C.T. :wink: