PDA

View Full Version : BBF stroker combos

roostwear
10-06-2004, 08:41 AM
I've been looking at stroker kits for my 460, and it looks like head selection is important depending upon CI, compression, etc. My D3s probably won't work well with bigger cubes, so am I better off going BIG (552/605), or just bigger (501/521/524/532.....)?
What are some good cam/head/cube combos? Pump gas would be cool, too.

OkieDave
10-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Lakes should respond to this question. I have iron CJ (DOO) heads on one motor and iron C-9 heads on another. They are not as good as aftermarket aluminum which I have always lusted after, but at modest rpm range, they work good. My C-9 heads have chevy size exhaust valves(1.88) which seems to be the way to go and they are home ported by me. Both these heads have small combustion chambers which makes for some compression with flat tops and 4.5 inch crank. BBF are not as detonation prone as BBC. get as many cubic inches as you can and use a larger impellor and the stock heads are ok.

LakesOnly
10-06-2004, 01:13 PM
I've been looking at stroker kits for my 460, and it looks like head selection is important depending upon CI, compression, etc. My D3s probably won't work well with bigger cubes, so am I better off going BIG (552/605), or just bigger (501/521/524/532.....)?
What are some good cam/head/cube combos? Pump gas would be cool, too.
Anything is possible in a machine shop. I have seen 492 strokers with Mopar 440 6-Pac rods, and 498's with aftermarket Pontiac rods, 540 with production Ford rods, etc.
Please, let's not split hairs and and disect this statement: Generally speaking, the heads will determine your power output and the displacement will determine at what rpm that power occurs.
With your D3's, you can build a 533 with flat-tops and have a compression ratio of about 10.25:1...10.5:1 with zero deck. Zero deck and an 11cc D-cup dish (mirrors the combustion chamber and maintains quench) will get you a very healthy 10:1.
The D3's will need to be very well prepared and then could support 6000 rpm and 600 horsepower with ease, more with top-notch workmanship. Such a stock appearing engine would surprise the hell out of a lot of people.
For the cost of all this machining and grinding on the cast iron heads, the TFS street-strip aluminum heads for $495 each might be a better investment. Also, more cpower could ultimately be gained from them.
I like the concept of the D3-headed 533 and entertain the idea of building a 650HP version for my jet boat, but the reality is that I have a hydro motor to build right now...
In regards to the stroker kits, the bigger the stroke, the more you will spend for the kit. Further, the bigger the stroke, the more you will spend on getting the rotating assembly balanced. (Have the assembly internally balanced.)
Cam and compression become key factors in the strokers. And they work hand-in-hand. This varies from build to build. Due to increased stroke and displacement, strokers benefit from lots of compression ratio and big cams with wide LSA's.
LO

roostwear
10-06-2004, 01:44 PM
I like the idea of the TFS heads. If Scott worked my D3s, I'd be at the TFS price anyhow. CJ heads are like gold now, and (just off the top of my head) C8-9/D0VE heads would have to be worked to flow for big cubes anyhow. What will the TFS flow out of the box, and how many cubes will they support? I'm not really a fan of rpm, I'd rather use a larger impeller lower in the powerband, and I would think a stroker would fit the bill well.

LakesOnly
10-07-2004, 10:42 PM
For the cost of all this machining and grinding on the cast iron heads, the TFS street-strip aluminum heads for $495 each might be a better investment. Also, more cpower could ultimately be gained from them.
LO
Mike, I have searched endlessly trying to rediscover where I heard about these $500 aluminum castings. I can't find such a head anywhere. I checked with a good friend/BBF engine builder and he's never heard of such a thing.
:confused:
I may have mis-spoken in this regard and no such heads exist; if I learn otherwise I will re-post.
LO

cstraub
10-08-2004, 05:29 AM
I'd bolt a set of Blue Thunders on it. Art makes probly the finest cast cylinder head on the market as far as quality of casting an machine work. Out of the box with a good VJ and just some blending they will support a stroker engine and allow you to run a milder cam so maintenance will be less in the long run. Heads and parts will run around $2100 with no machine work.
Chris