PDA

View Full Version : I'm Surprised Rangers Even Do db Tests!

Ion
10-06-2004, 12:33 PM
Earlier this season I called down to Phoenix to enquire about a 40% increase to the annual Windsor launch pass fee. They informed me that the Game & Fish Dept. had lost federal funds and that to compensate, they had to raise the rates. This means that now, 100% of the ranger's salary came out of my pocket and all other's who bought an annual (or daily) pass.
This made me think...hmmm...now that they are working for me, maybe now it's time to determine what their job description was. I spoke with an assistant to some authority figure in Phoenix and asked if it was the ranger's responsibility to direct trraffic on the launch ramps...especially when it was congested. She replied, "yes", it was. I pointed out that how, on numerous occasions when the ramp was congested, I spotted rangers sitting on their duffs, inside their air-conditioned trucks, doing absolutely nothing to help guide boaters to the next available slot in line. She seemed appauled this could occur and said she'd make sure the local ranger in charge was informed. On occasion, like sanctioned Bass Tournaments, where there is national publicity, I see rangers with official-looking vests directing ramp traffic, but on normal weekends, I still see rangers sitting in their trucks, amidst congested ramp conditions.
This leads to my point...how on earth could someone provoke these apathetic rangers to get off their duffs and conduct db tests at Windsor?

Havasu_Dreamin
10-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Very good question Ion.

prosthogod
10-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Earlier this season I called down to Phoenix to enquire about a 40% increase to the annual Windsor launch pass fee. They informed me that the Game & Fish Dept. had lost federal funds and that to compensate, they had to raise the rates. This means that now, 100% of the ranger's salary came out of my pocket and all other's who bought an annual (or daily) pass.
This made me think...hmmm...now that they are working for me, maybe now it's time to determine what their job description was. I spoke with an assistant to some authority figure in Phoenix and asked if it was the ranger's responsibility to direct trraffic on the launch ramps...especially when it was congested. She replied, "yes", it was. I pointed out that how, on numerous occasions when the ramp was congested, I spotted rangers sitting on their duffs, inside their air-conditioned trucks, doing absolutely nothing to help guide boaters to the next available slot in line. She seemed appauled this could occur and said she'd make sure the local ranger in charge was informed. On occasion, like sanctioned Bass Tournaments, where there is national publicity, I see rangers with official-looking vests directing ramp traffic, but on normal weekends, I still see rangers sitting in their trucks, amidst congested ramp conditions.
This leads to my point...how on earth could someone provoke these apathetic rangers to get off their duffs and conduct db tests at Windsor?
You just gave the reason in your statement. Their salary is now dependent on revenue. Getting out of the truck and writing tickets keeps there cake jobs. They will just have to draw straws to see who is going to stand out there in 118 degrees.

mmered8299
10-06-2004, 04:28 PM
how on earth could someone provoke these apathetic rangers to get off their duffs and conduct db tests at Windsor?
Walk over to them and bang on the window like a crazy ape and then turn around, drop your shorts and give him the Man on the Moon. :D
I think he'll get off his ass now!

GlastronGuy
10-06-2004, 04:35 PM
how on earth could someone provoke these apathetic rangers to get off their duffs and conduct db tests at Windsor?
Walk over to them and bang on the window like a crazy ape and then turn around, drop your shorts and give him the Man on the Moon. :D
I think he'll get off his ass now!
Great idea! That will solve all the problems at the marina!

Boatcop
10-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Their salary is now dependent on revenue. Getting out of the truck and writing tickets keeps there cake jobs.
Will someone please explain to me how a citation written by a State Employee into a County Justice Court or City Municipal Court pays a State Employee's Salary.
For the last Friggin time.....
FINE MONEY DOES NOT PAY THE SALARIES OF PEACE OFFICERS IN THE STATE OF ARIZONA!

GlastronGuy
10-06-2004, 04:49 PM
Will someone please explain to me how a citation written by a State Employee into a County Justice Court or City Municipal Court pays a State Employee's Salary.
For the last Friggin time.....
FINE MONEY DOES NOT PAY THE SALARIES OF PEACE OFFICERS IN THE STATE OF ARIZONA!
Now, now, Alan. If people had to actually research or think where would this world be?
Oh, wait. Nevermind.

Essex502
10-07-2004, 05:57 AM
Actually I think the pressure is coming for more noise testing on all of our lakes. I don't see any way to avoid it. We'll all have to deal with it sooner or later with silencers or mufflers.
We do have to hold them accountable for the PROPER testing using the proper standards and procedures. That means in AZ (AZ Ranger or LEO) must be 50' away and test you to a 86 db(A) standard as measured per the SAE J34 procedure. Ask to see the procedure if tested by a Ranger or LEO. Ask for their certification - when and where and who did it - if you are cited. Definitely take the time to fight the citation if the person performing the test does NOT abide by there standard testing procedure in force in Arizona. Those of you in California - same thing only come January 1, 2005 the procedure will be the SAE J2005 and the limit is 88 db(A) for engines manufactured after January 1, 1993 or 90 db(A) for those manufacutred before that date. There is also a shoreline test with a maximum of 75 db(A) using the SAE J1970 procedure still on the books for California so beware of that one as well.
Note...California's test is MUCH tougher than the Arizona test. California's J2005 test specifies the noise meter be placed 39 inches from the transom of the boat where Arizona is 50 feet away. California's is idle only - Arizona is any throttle position. So beware....the river and Havasu are BOTH California and Arizona enforcement on the water.