PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass work

Desert Rat
10-06-2004, 01:27 PM
I need to do some minor repair to my floor boards in the boat (glass some corners that pulled up, Mohave basin can be a bitch!!). After pulling up the carpet I found that the builder had just put a coat of resin on most of the floor.The floor is in good shape but I would like to lay some cloth and reseal it.
1st question is should I use just regular polyester resin or should I use an epoxy resin. I know the epoxy is more expensive but I don't want to have to do this again plus the cost of carpet.
2nd question pretains to the first, I have read that the epoxy will sitck to wood better but will it adhere with the old resin or will i have to get most of that up? If the polyester will suffice I'll just stick to that.
3rd Approx how much resin will be needed to do the floor of a 21' open bow?
Thanks for any help

Desert Rat
10-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Should I move this to another location? Would it help if i used the word BEAUMONT somewhere in the title??? :idea:

ROZ
10-06-2004, 02:26 PM
Alright, alright.... Use the Polyester resin. The epoxy resin may not cure to the polyester resin the boat already has on it. You'd really have to scuff it up thoroughly with a heavy grit to ensure the wax(wax in the resin) is gone to bond if you go epoxy....
I'd stay with polyester.

Sweet Addiction
10-06-2004, 02:31 PM
I am thinking about doing the same thing you are. I am putting a new floor in my boat this winter and I am just going to use the Polyster resin and fiberglass cloth over the entire floor. I would recommmend that you at least sand the old resin with 200-320 whatever, because the resin needs something to adhear to. I have never really worked with anything other than Polyester so I can't give you any tips on that, but Polyester Resin has never let me down.

Desert Rat
10-06-2004, 02:34 PM
Thanks... Polyester it is
Now how would I lay that BEAUMONT style..
(That should piss the haters off alittle) :D

Rev. Williams
10-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Should I move this to another location? Would it help if i used the word BEAUMONT somewhere in the title??? :idea:
LMAO!! :D :D :D
I wish I could help answer question, but I know little about glassing. I would PM Spectrabrent and get the number to Joe's Tooling and talk with them. They're a very reputable place here in the valley and will shoot ya straight.

ROZ
10-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks... Polyester it is
Now how would I lay that BEAUMONT style..
(That should piss the haters off alittle) :D
Make sure to use a fiberglass roller to ensure any bubbles are out. It's a metal finned roller... http://www.uscomposites.com/fgrollers.html
Actually USComposites (http://www.uscomposites.com) has everything you need if you don't have a local suplier.

Tom Brown
10-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Epoxy will stick to cured polyester but polyester won't stick to cured epoxy. Polyester is a good choice. Whatever you use, rough it up with some really course grit (40 grit or less) so the surface is clean and the new material will have something to bite on.
:)

Spotondl
10-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Epoxy will form a very strong mechanical bond to cured, clean polyester.
Epoxy yellows with age, even the real good stuff.
Make sure you sand off ALL the impurities, carpet glue, oil, grease, any resin wax residue before applying either polyester or epoxy...
Be careful sanding with real heavy grit because the scratches will show through if they are too deep.
Add a UV inhibiter to your mix to prevent another breakdown...
You don't say whether you are using matt glass or cloth but cloth is easier to wet out and when it comes time to apply a finish coat of resin it is easier to smooth out...
3 gallons should be enough to do your floor project, both the glass layer and a finish coat...
Just my .02 FWIW

Sweet Addiction
10-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Desert Rat, When do you plan on doing this to your boat? I am assuming that you are already in the process, I think. I was going to say if your doing it this winter I would do some experimenting and let you know some results. I am glassing my floor so whoever owns the boat next is happy for years to come, I don't plan on keeping it forever. It has been a good project and learning boat.

Desert Rat
10-07-2004, 06:24 AM
Thanks for all the info. I'm not sure I'll need the UV inhibiter as the entire repair will be under carpet when finished. It looks like the polyester will work just fine for what I need to do. Yes i plan on using a light cloth on the floor more to seal it than anything else, it has just a coat of resin on it now.

Sweet Addiction
10-07-2004, 06:30 AM
Well good luck on the floor. If you not too much in a hurry take some pictures so I can see how your floor turned out.
Later Jared.