PDA

View Full Version : Hey Doghouse!!!

Craig
07-12-2002, 01:54 PM
What's up with the new boat? You have a completeion "best guess" date yet?
Craig

DogHouse
07-12-2002, 08:04 PM
Hi Craig! Nothing firm yet... My dad was passing through the area on Wed so he stopped by and took some photos while it was still in the mold. It was supposed to come out on Thu but I haven't called to verify. Matt (sales guy in Havasu) told my dad it would be about a month to completion from that point, so it's not looking good for July delivery. Only good news is that he was impressed with the glass work and balsa coring; said they're doing a real nice job. This thing's gonna have to last forever so I'll be patient if they'll build it right!
-brian

Craig
07-12-2002, 08:07 PM
Glad to hear it's coming along. I can't wait to see how that boy runs. Aren't you using your "Larrys" motor in it? Did you design the graphics yourself?
Craig

DogHouse
07-12-2002, 10:54 PM
Yup same wimpy motor... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
I'm really curious to see how this hull will run vs the smaller Cheetah.
Only change I'm thinking of doing might be a vacuum pump setup this winter to help keep things cleaner from oil leaks (and free up another 20-30hp of course!). Graphics are similar to the purple/yellow deck boat and the 44 cat on their websight but with a couple minor mods.
-brian

24ROD
07-14-2002, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Craig:
Glad to hear it's coming along. I can't wait to see how that boy runs. Aren't you using your "Larrys" motor in it?
Craig
Doghouse, Is that" Larrys" motor as in Larry Peto?

DogHouse
07-14-2002, 12:35 PM
Yup, Larry Peto of Larry's Engine & Marine in Tucson. His shop rebuilt the engine for me over the winter and cleaned up some of the sloppy machine work that others had done previously. It runs better now!
-brian

24ROD
07-14-2002, 02:00 PM
Doghouse; Good friend of mine use to race aginst Larry. That was back in the 70's. They use to compete in Comp Flat NDBA. Of course Larry was a notch faster than everyone else. Definatly knows his shit.
-Carlos

Craig
07-14-2002, 05:35 PM
24rod, that's for sure. He ain't the cheapest guy in town, but you get what you pay for! One of the main things I like about that shop is even a year after you got your motor together you can call down there with a question and 9 times out of 10, you'll get Larry and he'll talk with you until you have what you need. No big brush offs. I still hope to get out to Apache this summer and see him run his 22 Daytona. He's hit 119 with it, just can't quite get that 120 http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif
Craig

DogHouse
07-14-2002, 05:56 PM
Why run your own 22 Daytona when you get to play in someone else's 40 Skater all the time? Bad luck!
-brian

blown23vee
07-14-2002, 06:04 PM
Hey, doghouse...talk to me about this vacuum pump/horsepower thing - I had to vent mine differently for the oil leak thing too...stuff was blowing all over the place, & someone mentioned a pump or "tank" idea...what to I need to know?

blown23vee
07-14-2002, 06:05 PM
Hey, Craig! How's It going...my stuff should be here monday...TIME TO BUILD!!!
talk to ya soon!

DogHouse
07-14-2002, 06:16 PM
Hi Rick,
If you've had some oil leak issues then you probably know that a motor at high rpm can build some pressure in the crankcase due to windage, and that pressure tries to push oil out of any seal that's not perfect. The pump is belt driven off the crank and pulls air out of the crankcase. This creates a bit of a vacuum, which in turn improves ring seal and reduces the tendancy for oil to get kicked out. Between the improved ring seal and reduced drag on the spinning crank, you also pick up some hp. According to Larry it's good for 20-30hp. Apparently it works because you won't find a pro-stock car without one. I'm already running a puke tank that's vented to the valve covers. I think all I need to do is block one of the covers, run the other to the inlet of the pump, and then vent the outlet of the pump to the puke tank. I'll probably run the Moroso pump since it's already setup for -12an, which is what my current tank is plumbed for.
Or something like that... Maybe some of the serious gear heads out there can shed more light on the subject???
-brian

24ROD
07-14-2002, 06:23 PM
Craig; Larry is to far for us we are in SoCal. So we deal with Teague. Same thing he may not be the cheapest. But he is definatly one of the best. Back to you get what you pay for. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif They also stand behind thier work.
-Carlos

blown23vee
07-14-2002, 06:48 PM
thanks for the info, bud...tell me, what's the difference in the puke tank (do you have to empty it?) & the set up I went with...I had to run the valve cover vents to the flame arrestor for the venturi of the air flow to the carb to suck out the fumes 'cause mine was building up pressure & blowing out the dipstick tube (no blown seals thank god)

Craig
07-14-2002, 07:43 PM
Larry just installed one of those systems on Bills Carrera earlier this year. Only thing additional Larry recommends is to plumb the exhaust with the vacuum hoses that go from the valve covers to a tap in the exhaust as well. You see this set up on a lot of the drag cars. This is added because if you lose your air pump belt, you're dead in the water with a sealed motor and no way to evacuate the built up pressure in the crank case. Of course it will find a way out, probably your weakest gasket http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Craig
[This message has been edited by Craig (edited July 14, 2002).]

pleasantcat
07-18-2002, 01:23 PM
craig's right on the money. if you run a pump setup and toss a belt you're dead in the water. the scavage system craig mentioned is a great eal. i used it on my old street car and i picked up a couple of tenths. i've been toying with a scavage system on my old turd boat... we'll see....s

DogHouse
07-18-2002, 10:37 PM
Ok, you guys convinced me... I should have ordered the Lightning tailpipes with some bungs welded in for the scavange fittings. I'll call tomorrow to see if they've actually built the pipes and shipped them yet.
-brian

DogHouse
07-29-2002, 09:36 PM
For anyone interested, I put up the collection of "under construction" pix. They're not too exciting and there are some duplicates, but they do show what's under the skin of a 28 Magic, good or bad! It's been a couple weeks now but I don't have anything more recent. Boat's currently in rigging, engine's in, shouldn't be long now!
http://members.cox.net/bcurnutt4/index.htm
I'll put up the complete shots in a couple weeks...
L8r,
-brian

Tee
08-07-2002, 11:28 AM
Great pics there Doghouse!!!!!! Have to catch you at "Dent-Beach" once you get it in the water. -------- T

DogHouse
08-07-2002, 06:43 PM
Sounds good T, we'll be there (Powell) for a few days after labor day. Let me know if you can make it down, would be cool to see you again and see what you've done with the mighty big block killer!
-brian