PDA

View Full Version : What is the best battery set up?

hallett 260
10-08-2004, 10:03 AM
My friend swears by Interstate batteries. I plan on having one just for the motor and the other for all aux. I will probably add an isolator to keep from having to move the switch each time. Any suggestions?

NOTALENT
10-08-2004, 11:41 AM
My friend swears by Interstate batteries. I plan on having one just for the motor and the other for all aux. I will probably add an isolator to keep from having to move the switch each time. Any suggestions?
Interstate is good..But I would go to Optima you can mount them anyway you want...upside down..sideways etc...and they last alot longer..

ROZ
10-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Along with Optima, another battery to look at is Odyssey (http://http://www.odysseybatteries.com/auto.htm)
1700 stereo 1200 starting...

mbrown2
10-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Another vote for Odyssey...have two in one boat, three in another...best 12v batteries ever, and heck Schoshe and Stinger OEM them so that should say something about them......my .02 ....send Evo22 a note for the hookup...

hallett 260
10-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the help. I called Odyssey and they sold me on a pc2150 and a pc925t. The 2150 will let you draw 25 amps for 200 minutes. Perfect for the stereo. The 925 is smaller but puts out 925 cranking amps.

ROZ
10-08-2004, 03:57 PM
send Evo22 a note for the hookup... he he he... :cool:

riverbound
10-08-2004, 05:25 PM
We use Optimas and have been very happy with them. Plus Riverdave has some pretty trick billet holders for them.

ROZ
10-08-2004, 11:38 PM
He has pretty sick ones for the odyssey and interstate as well ;)

phebus
10-09-2004, 06:04 AM
Any pics of the battery boxes?

Evo22
10-12-2004, 09:04 AM
personally I would go with a pc1200 for the motor and a pc1700 for the system just my experence with the batteries let me know if ya need a deal :rollside:

MAINEVENT
10-14-2004, 12:33 PM
I am planning on running 4 amps (one for the 12's and 3 for highs and mids roughly 4 to 6k watts) How many Batts will i nead?? :idea: I also heard of peeps insatlling Golf Cart batteries is better or worse plus will it be ok in a boat :idea:
TIA

don johnson
10-14-2004, 03:04 PM
personally I would go with a pc1200 for the motor and a pc1700 for the system just my experence with the batteries let me know if ya need a deal :rollside:
Does Odyssey make batteries that will fit in a standard battery hold down?
I need 4 new batteries. Currently have Interstate and they lasted 2 years. They will not support the stereo at high volumes for any longer then 20 minutes.

mbrown2
10-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Folks make Billet hold downs for the Odyssey... try www.odysseybatteries.com...or send EVO22 a PM...

Tom Brown
10-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Up here, Walmart just picked the Optima brand. They sell them about 30% cheaper than anywhere else in town.

phebus
10-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Wow, I am going to have to check down here in So. Cal. I don't know if they will be able to beat Costco, but it's worth checking.

Evo22
10-17-2004, 10:53 PM
hey don what batteries do u have now???? and what boxes/hold down's I will tell ya what will fit

RiverDave
10-19-2004, 10:51 AM
I have sick ass battery boxes for the standard interstates.. Most of them are out for Polish/powder coating right now.. I'll put some pictures of some raw ones up later today. :)
I also have some pretty trick battery boxes for Optimas Blue Top, Yellow Top/Red Top etc.. :)
I'm going to start production on the odyssey battery boxes this week. :) If anyone wants a set for the 1700's or "other" model let me know. :) I can get them done in about a week, and I'll throw the name of your boat on them for free.
RD

phebus
10-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Dave, is there any pictures posted of the Optima boxes anywhere?

mbrown2
10-19-2004, 11:23 AM
I have sick ass battery boxes for the standard interstates.. Most of them are out for Polish/powder coating right now.. I'll put some pictures of some raw ones up later today. :)
I also have some pretty trick battery boxes for Optimas Blue Top, Yellow Top/Red Top etc.. :)
I'm going to start production on the odyssey battery boxes this week. :) If anyone wants a set for the 1700's or "other" model let me know. :) I can get them done in about a week, and I'll throw the name of your boat on them for free.
RD
I might be interested in the Odyssey boxes...do you have pics...currently I have 2 1200's in the DCB, 1 1200 in the Bu, and 2 1700's in the Bu...I have the stock the Billet hold downs now...just wondering what yours will look like?

RiverDave
10-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Dave, is there any pictures posted of the Optima boxes anywhere?
Sorry bro, got side tracked... LOL :D let me go take some right now and upload them. :)
RD

RiverDave
10-20-2004, 01:07 PM
I might be interested in the Odyssey boxes...do you have pics...currently I have 2 1200's in the DCB, 1 1200 in the Bu, and 2 1700's in the Bu...I have the stock the Billet hold downs now...just wondering what yours will look like?
Mike, for you I can make them look whatever you want them to look like, becuase were cool like dat. ;) :D
whatever it is, I can promise ya it'll be bad ass.. becuase dats how I do it. ;) LOL :D
RD

RiverDave
10-20-2004, 02:23 PM
OK, here's a couple pictures of the 1st Battery Box I made so don't be judging it too hard. I had it powder coated this kind of burnt orange color and I was just seeing if I liked the color for a project I'm working on.. ;)
Overall though, in Production they'll be offered fully polished, or the top and bottom powder coated and the posts will be polished to give it a nice accent. All the hardware is included and is polished stainless as well.
http://www.riverratlife.com/dave/images/custom%20creations%20%26%20Projects/BatteryBoxes/DSC00042.JPG
It's exceptionally light weight and becuase of the way we built it, this thing is ridiculously strong.. The posts are actually just barely recessed into both the top and the bottom. You can jump up and down on this thing all day with no battery in it and it won't hurt it.
http://www.riverratlife.com/dave/images/custom%20creations%20%26%20Projects/BatteryBoxes/DSC00043.JPG
The logos will also be done after processing in the future so that they contrast with the colors.. This as I said before is just a color sample from a powder coater.
http://www.riverratlife.net/dave/images/custom%20creations%20%26%20Projects/BatteryBoxes/DSC00045.JPG
They powdercoated this thing assembled becuase I wanted to see how a couple of things would turn out. As I said before the production ones will not be like that. The screws will be polished stainless and the poles will be polished to add a nice contrast.
http://www.riverratlife.net/dave/images/custom%20creations%20%26%20Projects/BatteryBoxes/DSC00046.JPG
RD

ROZ
10-20-2004, 04:23 PM
See it and a few other things Dave is working on in person. EVERYTHING is top notch! That thing looks bitchen in person.

Tom Brown
10-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Looks good, Dave. :cool:
If I thought I could afford it, I might order one. :D

mbrown2
10-20-2004, 07:21 PM
Stuff looks great RD, I just need to stop spending money on this stereo crap... ;) :D

phebus
10-20-2004, 08:21 PM
O.K. I will be the one to ask......How much? Please either post or PM me with the price on the boxes for the blue top Optima's.
Thanks

RiverDave
10-21-2004, 08:58 AM
Phebus I'm still gearing up to send a shit load of them out for powdercoating (have to send them all out at once, for each color etc..)
http://www.riverratlife.net/dave/images/custom%20creations%20%26%20Projects/BatteryBoxes/DSC00048.JPG
http://www.riverratlife.net/dave/images/custom%20creations%20%26%20Projects/BatteryBoxes/DSC00053.JPG
But the polished ones I expect back at the beginning of next week.
http://www.riverratlife.net/dave/images/custom%20creations%20%26%20Projects/BatteryBoxes/DSC00051.JPG
The price on them is 110.00 ea. with all stainless hardware, mounting screws etc.. I can throw the name of your boat on it for a couple extra peanuts. ;)

Tom Brown
10-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Dave, do you ship US post to Canada?

RiverDave
10-21-2004, 11:06 AM
Dave, do you ship US post to Canada?
I ship stuff to Canada all the time, for the prototyping biz. :) Shouldn't present any problems.
RD

shadow
10-21-2004, 11:36 AM
I ship stuff to Canada all the time, for the prototyping biz. :) Shouldn't present any problems.
RD
Glad to see you made it back from the river.Thanks again! :wink: good times.I,ve got some photos but am having a hard time posting them,will work on it.
Now how about shipping some of those remote bezels to Havasu?

BADBLOWN572
10-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Just FYI, I installed a pair of Dave's new Optima battery boxes into his Nordic this past weekend and let me tell you they are sweet!!! Very easy to install and super strong. I was really impressed how strong they are. The whole change out (including removing the old batteries and boxes) took about 15 minutes. If you are going to be going with Optimas in the future I would definitely use these boxes.

jbtrailerjim
10-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Are Odyssey batteries that much better than Optima? I'm going to be upgrading my batteries this winter for my stereo. Is there that much price difference between the two?
RD,
Those hold downs are sweet!! Is it $110 whether it's polished or powder coated? I'll be lookin you up soon for a set of those.

Evo22
10-22-2004, 06:49 AM
Are Odyssey batteries that much better than Optima? I'm going to be upgrading my batteries this winter for my stereo. Is there that much price difference between the two?
RD,
Those hold downs are sweet!! Is it $110 whether it's polished or powder coated? I'll be lookin you up soon for a set of those.
Yes they ...we use them quite abit and have had no problems as of yet PM if you want a deal on them.... ask Mbrown what he thinks of them

Evo22
10-22-2004, 06:50 AM
hey river dave PM with the details on the boxes for the oddesy's and a way to contact you I got a couple of qusetions for ya
Thanks,
Brian Bennett

RiverDave
10-22-2004, 08:15 AM
I sent you a PM with contact information and some pics of other batt boxes I'm doing. ;)
Look forward to hearing from you.
RD,
jbtrailerjim, that's just my little introductory price to my ***boat friends. ;) These things are actually going to be sold through a dealer network, so I'm sure the price will probably go up a little bit (not much, but a little) when the dealers get ahold of them. I just happened to have 10 polished ones coming back from processing on monday so I figured I'd see if anybody wants them, while I'm working out the details with a couple of dealers and getting my website up etc.. ;) But to answer your question, the pricing for powder coating vs polishing in production will be the same as far as these are concerned. :)
RD

Evo22
10-27-2004, 06:55 AM
yea I got the PM thanks, the stuff looks great I will call ya today

BadBahner
10-28-2004, 09:02 AM
I sent you a PM with contact information and some pics of other batt boxes I'm doing. ;)
Look forward to hearing from you.
jbtrailerjim, that's just my little introductory price to my ***boat friends. ;) These things are actually going to be sold through a dealer network, so I'm sure the price will probably go up a little bit (not much, but a little) when the dealers get ahold of them. I just happened to have 10 polished ones coming back from processing on monday so I figured I'd see if anybody wants them, while I'm working out the details with a couple of dealers and getting my website up etc.. ;) But to answer your question, the pricing for powder coating vs polishing in production will be the same as far as these are concerned. :)
RD
Can these boxes be mounted to the side of a stringer with no support underneath?
Eric

RiverDave
10-28-2004, 09:15 AM
With a little bracket they could pretty easily. They are stout enough that they woudn't bend if you just held them on one side.
RD

beyondhelpin
10-29-2004, 10:01 PM
I wont get into the debate about which are the best batteries cause I dont know. But I do run 3 Interstate 2700 batteries in mine and can run my 1200 watt sub amp and a 150 watt rms 4 channel all day at some pretty good volume for 8 hours plus with out any noticeable loss of volume or sound quality.
The best thing you can do is to have a good onboard battery charger. There is no way your alternator can keep the charge to 100%. Especially if a lot of your time is spent in a cove or tied up. Less than 100% charge after some serious play time will equal new batteries every year! I know I have bought enough of them. When I pull the boat out I hook up the charger and I am good to go the next day.
I have seen a chart that shows discharge verse charge rate as it applies to battery life and it will surprise you. I wish I knew where I seen it and I would link it but I cant remember. Sorry.
In case anyone wasn't listining................Very important.............Get a good onboard charger! Dont make me repeat my self again!!! :D :D :D

RiverDave
11-05-2004, 03:02 PM
O.K. I will be the one to ask......How much? Please either post or PM me with the price on the boxes for the blue top Optima's.
Thanks
Phebus I got a bunch of polished ones back a few days ago.. :)
http://www.riverratlife.net/dave/images/CuttingEdge/OptimaPolished/DSC00001.JPG
http://www.riverratlife.net/dave/images/CuttingEdge/OptimaPolished/DSC00002.JPG
http://www.riverratlife.net/dave/images/CuttingEdge/OptimaPolished/DSC00004.JPG
I really want to find somebody that's looking to run 2 banks of 2 so I can built a single base dual top thing kinda like this.. :)
http://www.riverratlife.net/dave/images/CuttingEdge/OptimaPolished/DSC00003.JPG