PDA

View Full Version : Pool Contractors Needed

rsoscia
10-08-2004, 04:11 PM
I,m in the process of putting in a rock pool with a waterfall and spa using the Owner Builder method. I have the plans and the engineering and will be going to get the permits next week and would like to start a.s.a.p.
I live in San Bernardino County I am looking for LICENSED Contractors in the following trades:
Massonary - retaining wall
Excavator
Rebar
Plumber
Electriction
Guanite
Please have them contact Robert or Lisa @ (909)548-0652
Thanks for your help.

ahhell
10-08-2004, 04:35 PM
try thishttp://www.poolsubuild.com/

Formula Dude
10-08-2004, 06:10 PM
rsoscia
Sorry for highjacking your thread.
Do your homework (extensively) before building a pool. I just went through a "pool building" experience that cost me about $100,000 in the shorts. Just some advice, pay all the sub-contractors and building material supply - yourself. Do not let the contractor pay it! Spread your pay schedule - with the highest toward the end non of this even crap. Check the contractors liscense on a weekly basis (on website) for any discrepencies during the pool build.
Just a tip for everyone! There is a pool building contractor from the IE (Riverside) by the name of Rene Meza who owns MEZCON construction. This individual built 2 pools for friends of ours WOT - came highly recommended by other projects he has done. June 6, 2004 (while building our pool), he lost his liscense. Did not bother telling anyone, abandoned the project after we started getting "intent to lean on our property" and questioning him about it. He disappeared and we were stuck paying suppliers and subcontractors one more time. Beware! There was not a single "red flag" until it was too late. Make sure the contractor has the right liscense also. In my case the City inspector and Cal Contractor missed that one also he was a Class B only.
Don't like to air my dirty laundry, but if a could save anyone the headaches i'm going through - it's well worth it...

Mandelon
10-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Check with Roz........ ;)

OGShocker
10-08-2004, 07:50 PM
This is my Neighbor in Chino. Jeff Kerber (http://www.jeffkerber.com/)
Call Jeff's and ask for Daniel (Jeff's Brother in Law) and tell him Neighbor Mark sent you.
Good Luck!

DaveTic
10-08-2004, 09:51 PM
If you have a complicated pool you better know what you are doing and understand the plans and engineering. Your contractors will only build what’s on plan and what’s on the engineering plans may not always be what you or the pool designer wanted, study them well. I am building a natural rock pool (owner builder) aprox. 30x60, it’s big and complicated. Almost done with the steel (14 tons wroth), I am on my second engineer, complete new plans and one year from the time I pulled the permit (not much got done over the summer because of boating). After starting I quickly realized the engineering that I had was not going to produce the pool I wanted.
Be very careful with the people you use, do joint checks for material and get lien releases or pay material suppliers direct.
Dave

ROZ
10-09-2004, 12:09 AM
For the record, I emailed and called Jeff Kerber on several occasions and never had a response. If you can get someone from there to bid your pool and you accept it, they do great work. He'll be able to recommend a contractor and crew can do the labor for your shotcrete, if they don't do it.
PM Hustler from the boards for the electical work.
Since you're up there, contact Mudxpert for advise on concrete finishers.
As owner contractor, you'll need to verify that your subs have wc insurance, or you must provide it. Chck with your homeowners insurace to see how much they wc ins. it will cover if you need to. Most policies cover inexpensive labor. ie landscaper, maid, baby sitter... Labor for each person isn't that expensive individually. Dig will run about 2500-5000 depending on your soil. Steel labor will set you back about 500 for the day between 2 people. plumbing is about 1700 in labor. Electrical call Hustler ;) . Plaster or kerber pebble will set you back between 3800 to 10,000. All really depends on how large and elaborate a pool you want.
Chances are that the guy who does your dig will know a steel guy...
Also, you need to find a place to dump the 90yards of dirt you'll be removing. They probably have a place, but will likely not be close to your pad...Make it close so they can complete the dig in one day.
Make sure you buy all of the materials. Each person will make a list for you.
Did you use Pool Engineering in Tustin for your plans?
It's not as tough as it may seem. Just make sure your there to give each person explicit instructions and check their work to make sure it's what you want before going on to the next step.
If you have any questions, feel free to pm me for any insight. I learned an TON through building my pool. :cool:
Here's an old picture of my project... I say old because my landscaping is now complete
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/326DSC02050-med.JPG

NashvilleBound
10-09-2004, 04:28 AM
Damn Roz, thats impressive!!! lol...glad you got through it. A pool is pretty easy to build but you need to be carefull not to forget certain things as you go and to watch EVERYONE to make sure they do their job right so down the road, for example, your skinners are straight AND level....thats just one of MANY things that can go slightly wrong and cause you grief. :notam:
Good Luck,
NB

ROZ
10-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Funny you say easy, afterall the pool you and your wife built out here was stunning!
Check out the flat work! Tony and his buddy rocked! Thanks again !!!