PDA

View Full Version : My porpoise is Sangering

Jetboatguru
10-08-2004, 04:22 PM
I just took out the porpoise today and it is sangering like a mother. I have tried moving the tail and I have tried different flukes on the tail but the damn thing wont stop sangering. All of the measurements are close. The dorsal fins are at 36" the tail is 96." I am thinking about cutting the tail down to about 18 inches and seeing what happens. It is a 13 foot porpoise and is fairly heavy. It has good power but I have not dynoed it yet. I have GPS'd it at 48mph but that was with the old 3 blade tail. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :p

JEA557
10-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Thats deep brother...

Moneypitt
10-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Say again, you're breaking up.................MP

Sangerboy
10-08-2004, 06:09 PM
I feel that more horsepower is always the best answer, try a few more mackeral before the next run

Fiat48
10-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Add 3 nickles and make another pass.

10-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Try a 5 blade prop with 3.5" pitch.....guaranteed to cure your problem

WHITIE
10-08-2004, 10:20 PM
I just took out the porpoise today and it is sangering like a mother. I have tried moving the tail and I have tried different flukes on the tail but the damn thing wont stop sangering. All of the measurements are close. The dorsal fins are at 36" the tail is 96." I am thinking about cutting the tail down to about 18 inches and seeing what happens. It is a 13 foot porpoise and is fairly heavy. It has good power but I have not dynoed it yet. I have GPS'd it at 48mph but that was with the old 3 blade tail. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :p
Put her in some fresh water,,, seemed to work for me one time.

Rexone
10-08-2004, 10:47 PM
guru, I would advise running a scaler over the exterior to reduce drag and shove some live sardines into the intake ports. That should increase the power enough to carry the bottlenose a little better and greatly reduce the tendency to sangar at speed. If it continues to sangar in the midrange try an electric eel up the ass of the porpoise as that will dramatically increase the response and ET, in turn carrying the bottlenose better as mentioned above.

Jordy
10-09-2004, 08:12 AM
If it continues to sangar in the midrange try an electric eel up the ass of the porpoise as that will dramatically increase the response and ET, in turn carrying the bottlenose better as mentioned above.
An electric eel up the ass? That should do it. ;) :D

126driver
10-09-2004, 05:15 PM
An electric eel up the ass? That should do it. ;) :D
Uh, Jordy, and you think that we want to hear your freaky fantasies because...? I mean, no worries bro - don't ask, don't tell, right? :jawdrop: ;)

Jordy
10-09-2004, 05:58 PM
Uh, Jordy, and you think that we want to hear your freaky fantasies because...? I mean, no worries bro - don't ask, don't tell, right? :jawdrop: ;)
Hey, Mikey is the one who posted it. I just thought it was funny, having absolutley no experience with electric eels. ;)

CrazyHippy
10-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Re rig w/ plumbing supplies, Home depot should still be open @ this hour
BJH :jawdrop:

GofastRacer
10-10-2004, 05:19 AM
That is some funny shit!.. :D :D

coolchange
10-10-2004, 03:11 PM
I know a lot of you aren't going to like this but when I had my Porpoise I splashed a Shark and laminated the gils onto it to add turbulence and keep it from sucking down. But if it gets away from you, you're screwed.

MikeF
10-10-2004, 09:05 PM
It's True
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/153dolp_copy.jpg
:2purples:

ROZ
10-10-2004, 09:36 PM
I found that putting a duck(tape) over the blowerhole will give you the quickest readings. he sucka will spastically take off like a mofo, since it's starving for air.. The only downfall is that you may blow out your 3 fin... Them suckas been known to get a little airborn.... You could take it to starkist to get it blue printed, but keep your eye on them. They've been known to cut up a dolphin or two... :hammerhea

JEA557
10-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Wow guru I thought you were just being funny. Looking at that porpoise I realize you have designed and ran one before. What is the quickest ET you have gotten out of one and at which track??? Can we buy them or is this still in the experimental stage. Did Wayne Mettler do the bottom job...

Jetboatguru
10-11-2004, 09:24 AM
MIKE F that is Friggen Hilarious. Nice Chop!!
You guys have taken this to another level :D :D

Rexone
10-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Guru I should have mentioned this before, its pretty standard procedure for old schooled porpoise tuners...
You can vary the size of the sardines vs the size and strength of the e. eel to achieve maximum acceleration and fine tune thrust (thus countering sangaring) in most porpoises. Also if the sangaring problem is only at the top end you can install a timed delay diode inside the e. eel and hook it up to a switch on the wheel. Kind of like N20, porpoise style. When that switch kicks in the spark intensifies in the ass of the porpoise in turn causing it to increase thrust and carry the bottlenose and stop sangaring. Porpoise tuners have told me however you must be careful on how big an e eel you use if you're going to employ this technology. Too big an eel will produce too big a charge, can jump past the diode and burn a big hole out the side of the porpoise ass. In the unlikely event this happens on the bottom side you can take a quick nose dive and even possibly damage the lower dorsal fin, not to mention creating an unhealthy situation for the porpoise. Another possibility is too much thrust can actually make the porpoise leave the water and destroy your ET from lack of thrust.
Also in a race situation from a strategy viewpoint I've heard of guys introducing some rogue yellowfin tuna onto the course to distract your competitor. I know of no sanctioned rules that this would violate but I'd do it at night before the event if you're gonna try it. And use the smaller 20 lb class tuna to attract the opposing porpoise better. In this case a big tuna is not an advantage.
Good luck with your sangaring problem. :smile: