PDA

View Full Version : Washington D C

Debbolas
10-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Have you been?
What was your favorite place?
What was your favorite restaurant?
What is the name of the bus, that takes you from one monument to another?
What was your favorite hotel?
Do you know a good Hair/Nail Place?
What was your favorite Bar/Pub?

summerlove
10-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Have you been?
What was your favorite place?
Smithsonian aerospace museum
What was your favorite restaurant?
By far, 1789, but Occidental Grill is also a favorite.
What is the name of the bus, that takes you from one monument to another?
I think it's the Molly Trolley....
What was your favorite hotel?
Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill, close to the Capitol and the Mall
Do you know a good Hair/Nail Place?
The Watergate Hotel Barber Shop
What was your favorite Bar/Pub?
A corner bar don in Foggy Bottom, forget he name.
Why do you ask? I'll be there with the family over Thanksgiving. We're going to D.C. and then to NYC for the Macy's Day Parade and the Rockette's Holiday Spectactular at Radio City Music Hall! Can't wait....you going too?

Debbolas
10-08-2004, 09:47 PM
YES!!!
Next week! I can't wait!
We arrive Wednesday and leave Monday.....I've never been there before. Scream will be busy with the Food Show all day, so I get to "sightsee" with his brothers girlfriend! :) I guess his brother uses the Zagget guide to pick our restaurants. We need to "entertain" clients. I still need to go buy 3 dresses. (guess they don't DO Roxy in DC) :rolleyes:
Debbolas<------------HATES to dress her age :argue:
I was told if I call David Drier, he can get me into the White House?
(sounds a little hard to believe)
They probably check for Americans that can't spell ----->Me :cry:

Mandelon
10-08-2004, 09:52 PM
Have you been? Yes.
What was your favorite place? Smithsonian Institution
What was your favorite restaurant? Don't remember
What is the name of the bus, that takes you from one monument to another? Try the Metrorail
What was your favorite hotel? Lincoln Bedroom
Do you know a good Hair/Nail Place? Yes , but I am not telling
What was your favorite Bar/Pub Scores.... :smile:

Debbolas
10-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Have you been? Yes.
What was your favorite place? Smithsonian Institution
What was your favorite restaurant? Don't remember
What is the name of the bus, that takes you from one monument to another? Try the Metrorail
What was your favorite hotel? Lincoln Bedroom
Do you know a good Hair/Nail Place? Yes , but I am not telling
What was your favorite Bar/Pub Scores.... :smile:
PLEASE!!! I need to get my hair and nails done while I am there!

summerlove
10-08-2004, 09:58 PM
YES!!!
Next week! I can't wait!
We arrive Wednesday and leave Monday.....I've never been there before. Scream will be busy with the Food Show all day, so I get to "sightsee" with his brothers girlfriend! :) I guess his brother uses the Zagget guide to pick our restaurants. We need to "entertain" clients. I still need to go buy 3 dresses. (guess they don't DO Roxy in DC) :rolleyes:
Debbolas<------------HATES to dress her age :argue:
I was told if I call David Drier, he can get me into the White House?
(sounds a little hard to believe)
They probably check for Americans that can't spell ----->Me :cry:
1789 is very good but big bucks! Well worth it, but only if your not paying! Go to georgetown - plenty of nightlife and good eats. Call your congressmantomorrow! and he may be able to get you in, be sure to tell them your a teacher and that you'r doing research or something. Also ask for the Capitol tour from the congressman's office. That's an easy one to get.
Now, where are you staying? They Hyatt is within walking distance to the capitol mall and the capitol, as well as union station, a great renovated train station that still serves for transit but is now a full fledged mall and food bizarre. Be sure to go there. Also, go to the Holocaust museaum, and do whatever you can to make it to Arlington cemetary - take the Metro everywhere - it's easy. Also, the tour trolley stops everywhere along the mall and all of the monuments - the only way to do them. One more thing, Occidental Grill is 2 blocks from the white house on PA Avenue, I believe the 1800 block. Go there for drinks after dinner! You never know who might show up. George Sr. made a few late night runs there while he was Prez, maybe you'll see someone famous. Very historic and lots of great pictures.
Have a great trip. You have alot to do in a few days, so be sure to bring comfy shoes!

Debbolas
10-08-2004, 10:04 PM
1789 is very good but big bucks! Well worth it, but only if your not paying! Go to georgetown - plenty of nightlife and good eats. Call your congressmantomorrow! and he may be able to get you in, be sure to tell them your a teacher and that you'r doing research or something. Also ask for the Capitol tour from the congressman's office. That's an easy one to get.
Now, where are you staying? They Hyatt is within walking distance to the capitol mall and the capitol, as well as union station, a great renovated train station that still serves for transit but is now a full fledged mall and food bizarre. Be sure to go there. Also, go to the Holocaust museaum, and do whatever you can to make it to Arlington cemetary - take the Metro everywhere - it's easy. Also, the tour trolley stops everywhere along the mall and all of the monuments - the only way to do them. One more thing, Occidental Grill is 2 blocks from the white house on PA Avenue, I believe the 1800 block. Go there for drinks after dinner! You never know who might show up. George Sr. made a few late night runs there while he was Prez, maybe you'll see someone famous. Very historic and lots of great pictures.
Have a great trip. You have alot to do in a few days, so be sure to bring comfy shoes!
Thanks so much!
:clover:
I didn't plan this trip, so I don't know where we are flying out of, where we ar staying, etc....It is on the company so we will be having fancy expensive dinners (hence the need for dressy dresses =not Roxy)
I will take the Trolly, one of the Junior High Teachers set me up with a package of all the attractions, Hollocost, etc...I will for sure go hang at the Grill, looking for George! I plan to see EVERTHING. and I will call David tomorrow.
Thanks so much Summerlove!! :D You are the BEST!
Call me for your Thanksgiving Turkey! :clover: Matt and I will set you up! :D
I thought about the comfy shoe thing....
Thanks agiain!
Debbolas<--------A proud American :D :clover:

H20 Toie
10-09-2004, 06:48 AM
Just be careful walking around there at night some of the areas right around the mall are not real safe.

summerlove
10-09-2004, 07:29 AM
Thanks so much!
:clover:
I didn't plan this trip, so I don't know where we are flying out of, where we ar staying, etc....It is on the company so we will be having fancy expensive dinners (hence the need for dressy dresses =not Roxy)
I will take the Trolly, one of the Junior High Teachers set me up with a package of all the attractions, Hollocost, etc...I will for sure go hang at the Grill, looking for George! I plan to see EVERTHING. and I will call David tomorrow.
Thanks so much Summerlove!! :D You are the BEST!
Call me for your Thanksgiving Turkey! :clover: Matt and I will set you up! :D
I thought about the comfy shoe thing....
Thanks agiain!
Debbolas<--------A proud American :D :clover:
have agreat trip!

God
10-09-2004, 09:08 AM
Washington DC has marble. Marble, Marble, Marble. Look up, look down, look sideways. Marble. The monument (outdoor theatre) that is tributized to The Challenger disaster is quite moving. Lot's of Marble there also. JFK's eternal flame is also a must see. Not for political reasons but for historic. You might also check out... THE MARBLE!

Blowin Money
10-09-2004, 11:50 AM
We are from that area and you will definitely not be bored.
You might want to try Old Town Alexandria also just for the food, the fun and the water. There are TONS of shops there that you can't find anywhere else and there are a couple huge ships you can see. The food there is awesome. You might even want to try the Dandy and go for a lunch cruise or dinner on the Potomac River. All of the previous posts are good places to see. The Holocaust Museum, the Air and Space Museum is awesome, The Wall, and all the other monuments are great for walking around, just be careful you are not alone at night.
If by chance you get bored in DC, you might try a day at Mount Vernon, home of George Washington.
You mentioned nice dresses for dinner but you may also need a jacket or sweater... it is getting chillier there now.
Whatever you do, good luck and have a great time.
Blowin Money

Craig
10-09-2004, 01:10 PM
There's so much to see there, you never have enough time, but if you wanted to kill an afternoon, go east an hour to the inner harbor in Annapolis :smile: Lot of "blow boats", but still a nice change!

God
10-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Did I mention there was Marble? Marble buildings, marble columns and marble statues and monuments? Marble on top of marble?

summerlove
10-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Did I mention there was Marble? Marble buildings, marble columns and marble statues and monuments? Marble on top of marble?
last time I weas there, I didn't see much marble....
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
There was Tons of it! It's awesome thouggh! :wink:

LeE ss13
10-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Try the Chophouse DC District.
Chophouse Link (http://www.chophouse.com/RockBottomWeb/CH/index.aspx?PageName=/RockBottomWeb/Controls/Location/DisplayLocationCH.ascx&SectionName=Root.Washington&LocationID=10092)
Order a Porterhouse Stake. It will fill the plate. The best I can figure out is that the really good beef is back East or they save the best Nebraska meat for our Capital. Anyway, it is a mini brewery with a bunch of taste brews. I have made it a rule that when I go back on business, (3-4 times a year), I will go there at least once each trip.