PDA

View Full Version : New powerplant almost ready....PICS

FHI-prez
10-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Just have some odds and ends to get done....but she's built and ready to get dropped in the boat. :D It won't be long now before I'm off terrorizing the river again! :skull: I have a LOT of breaking-in to do, so it will be awhile before I find out how much balls she's got, but should be in the neighborhood of 550 hp. We'll see I guess.

Squirtin Thunder
10-09-2004, 02:16 PM
:cool: FHI-Pres,
Looks totally cool !!!! :cool: Where on the river do you run??? :confused: I hope to be right behimd you :cry: It looks very good and a Big Bad Ford too !!!! :cool:
:cool: Jim :cool:

FHI-prez
10-09-2004, 03:56 PM
I run on the St. Johns here in the plywood state (Florida). The river is flooded right now so I'll probably have to run it on one of the lakes for a bit, till the river goes down a bit. :argue:
She SHOULD run pretty good, only time will tell. :220v: Not gonna be a drag boat or anything, just a lil' ski-boat :crossx: Here's a pic of the handy carrying case for the engine:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5189

core attitude
10-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Will you give up some details on your build?
Thanks, Pete

FHI-prez
10-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Will you give up some details on your build?
Thanks, Pete
Of course.
466 CID
SVO short block balanced and blueprinted
Rpm Performer intake
camshaft: 244/254 @ 0.50 , .588"/.614" lift 110 deg LC
MSD ignition
Milodon 10 qt. oil pan with windage and baffle gates
SVO damper
SVO flexplate
March reduction pulley
Barry Grant 850
Crapload of stainless bolts
RPM performer 75 cc aluminum heads
SVO full roller rockers
Swirl polished stainless valves 2.19"/1.76"
CR = 10.3/1
Cam degreed perfectly
Melling blueprinted HV oil pump
Hardened oil pump drive shaft
3/8" hardened one piece comp cams pushrods
Tall Ford Racing aluminum valve covers
Counter rotating high torque starter
That's pretty much the guts of it.
Nick

Squirtin Thunder
10-09-2004, 10:50 PM
This one

FHI-prez
10-10-2004, 04:13 PM
This one
I like it! :D
Nick

FHI-prez
10-16-2004, 07:21 PM
Well, the motor is in the boat and all hooked up. I dropped it in without installing the driveline to the pump, so the motor will have to come back out after I break it in. :hammerhea It's not something that I wanted to do twice, but I just flat can't run it as long as I need to for breaking in the cam and tuning the new motor. This way, I can do all I need to do tuning and break-in wise in my driveway and not hurt the pump. I'll be starting her up for the first time tomorrow, and commence the break in procedure. I'm kinda nervous, but excited as well. :D I've got a lot of work to do before she sees the water again, but it's "fun" work.
After I break in the cam, I have to pull the roller rockers off and re-torque the aluminum heads. Then I have to pull the valve springs and put the inner valve srping back in. Then I can install/adjust rocker arms and fire her back up again. Gonna make sure the rings seat well and then tune the motor. THEN :jawdrop: I gotta pull her back out again, hook up the driveline and drop the motor in for the last time for hopefully awhile. Then finally it's off to the river to continue the break-in of the motor.
I'm probably going to have to get a larger impellor if I want to get the most out of her. The new motor is going to be 100+ more hp than the one that came out of it, so I'm thinking I need to get an Agressor A impeller to keep the revs at a reasonable level. That should also be better for cruising as well. The pump currently has an Agressor B in it which was spinning at about 5k rpm. I think the new motor will turn an A at around 5200 or so. I'll probably also have to shoe/rideplate her as well in the near future.
Nick :hammerhea

dmontzsta
10-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Ford power!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Ford power!
there you go with that shit again.......... :eek: ;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Just have some odds and ends to get done....but she's built and ready to get dropped in the boat. :D It won't be long now before I'm off terrorizing the river again! :skull: I have a LOT of breaking-in to do, so it will be awhile before I find out how much balls she's got, but should be in the neighborhood of 550 hp. We'll see I guess.
Thats a nice looking motor;) Keep up the good work;) I know I am a chevy guy but I still give props when credit is due;) Did you build it?

FHI-prez
10-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Thats a nice looking motor;) Keep up the good work;) I know I am a chevy guy but I still give props when credit is due;) Did you build it?
Yup, I built it. I guess we'll see tomorrow if she runs for crap or not :D It took me a few weeks of dickin around with it (spare time at night) but she's finally ready to be fired. I would have fired it tonight, but I didn't want to piss off every neighbor within a 1/4 mile radias. Besides, I like to be able to see everything that's is or is not going on, I need good 'ole daylight for that.
Excited about tomorrow, but my neighbors won't be :D :2purples: :hammerhea
Nick

Squirtin Thunder
10-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Nick,
I would have fired it just to see if it lights.
If they can't take a joke ..........them !!!!!
You know if you invite them all over for a engine firing party they can't get mad !!!!
Jim

Jake W
10-17-2004, 05:51 AM
Nick I have never saw a hull like that.But I have seen a Taylor SS and various bubble decks.Yours apears to be mainly a Taylor SS with a bubble deck added and the transom cut at an angle.Who made that hull?the original Taylor windsheilds did look like the bubble on your boat but were taller so they were even with the sides and held on with an alum bar.
Jake

FHI-prez
10-17-2004, 10:31 AM
Nick I have never saw a hull like that.But I have seen a Taylor SS and various bubble decks.Yours apears to be mainly a Taylor SS with a bubble deck added and the transom cut at an angle.Who made that hull?the original Taylor windsheilds did look like the bubble on your boat but were taller so they were even with the sides and held on with an alum bar.
Jake
The hull is a '78 Borum made in Jacksonville, Fl. Really strong boat, but heavy. I'm not sure what it weighs, but it's not light. It can burn through a pretty heavy chop like it's on wheels, and it will still powerslide like you wouldn't believe! I'm sure it's not the fastest hull, but it makes a great ski/lake boat. Full length stringers, bulk head tie in front of the motor, and the deck is bonded to the hull.
Nick

FHI-prez
10-17-2004, 10:37 AM
I got all the little final touches done, spun the oil pump with a drill, installed the dizzy, turned on the water and vrrrrooooooooooooooommmmm! Ran it between 2000 to 2800 for 30 min. Timed it and let her go. She runs like a top! Fired up right away and never shut down. I was pretty nervous firing her, but looks like everything is as it should be. Water and oil temp looked real good the whole time, and oil pressure was holding at 60 psi. I'm letting her cool down now, then I'll pull the valve covers and install the inner spring back in the valve springs. The rings seemed to seat right away (they were probably mostly seated before I even fired her with how many times I turned it over by hand when building her). No smoke, no leaks, no weird noises, no problems so far! :D :D :D :D I'm more relieved than happy, but there is a lot of work to be done yet.
Nick

MudPumper
10-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Lookin good Nick. Glad to hear she fired right up and seems to running well.

Squirtin Thunder
10-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Smoken !!!!

dave186
10-17-2004, 05:50 PM
hey what color is that? chevy orange? ive been trying to think of a better color than black to paint my engine.

Squirtin Thunder
10-17-2004, 06:18 PM
I think it is FORD RED Dupli-Color pn# DE1605
Jim

FHI-prez
10-17-2004, 08:37 PM
I think it is FORD RED Dupli-Color pn# DE1605
Jim
yup! :crossx:
I pulled the valves covers off and all the rockers. Re-torqued the heads and put the inner valve spring back in her. Put it all back together and fired her up again. Did some more break in on it and she is running extremely well. Fires right up with just touchin the key. It's been a long stress filled day, but when all is said and done, a very good one.
Tomorrow, the motor comes back out of the boat so I can install the driveline. Then I get to put it BACK in the boat. :mad: This is not an easy boat to drop a motor in, that's for damn sure. But I'm on a mission now, she'll be back on the water this weekend to get the new motor wet. :cool:
Nick

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-17-2004, 08:54 PM
yup! :crossx:
I pulled the valves covers off and all the rockers. Re-torqued the heads and put the inner valve spring back in her. Put it all back together and fired her up again. Did some more break in on it and she is running extremely well. Fires right up with just touchin the key. It's been a long stress filled day, but when all is said and done, a very good one.
Tomorrow, the motor comes back out of the boat so I can install the driveline. Then I get to put it BACK in the boat. :mad: This is not an easy boat to drop a motor in, that's for damn sure. But I'm on a mission now, she'll be back on the water this weekend to get the new motor wet. :cool:
Nick
Make sure you post some pics for us. Especially the rooster;) I have alot of respect for people that build thier own shit. i know what your going through, I am still in the process of finishing mine;)

Squirtin Thunder
10-17-2004, 09:21 PM
I should have my pump in this week and the engine will be in the day after at the latest. I used to use Ford red on all my engines till it started to turn chevy orange, yucky pooyy :yuk: :cry:
Jim

Foggerjet
10-18-2004, 05:25 AM
Thats a great looking rig, and that mill should push it around great for a lot of years. It's kind of a bummer about the driveline tho. Can't you break the front U-joint loose from the drive flange and put it in in pieces? On mine I can disconnect the drive without removing the motor. Yours must be a bit different. Mine is a Berk JG. It would sure be nice if you could avoid that.
Looks great!
fog

FHI-prez
10-18-2004, 06:13 AM
I should have my pump in this week and the engine will be in the day after at the latest. I used to use Ford red on all my engines till it started to turn chevy orange, yucky pooyy :yuk: :cry:
Jim
You're a strange cat Jim :idea: :D

FHI-prez
10-18-2004, 06:17 AM
Thats a great looking rig, and that mill should push it around great for a lot of years. It's kind of a bummer about the driveline tho. Can't you break the front U-joint loose from the drive flange and put it in in pieces? On mine I can disconnect the drive without removing the motor. Yours must be a bit different. Mine is a Berk JG. It would sure be nice if you could avoid that.
Looks great!
fog
Damn, I wish! :cry: Nope it is literally impossible to do that in my boat. Trust me I've tried to figure out every possible angle and well....this was the best plan. My other plan was to build a engine running stand and break the motor in on it. But when you factor in supplying fuel, coolant, wiring for guages to watch on break in ...etc....it was just easier to drop it in the damn boat. :yuk: So I got one hell of a long day ahead, I better get started. :220v:
Nick

ttmott
10-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Nick
Where are you going to get it wet at?
The St Johns is still all idle and flooded (at least as of a couple of weeks ago).
I wouldn't mind being chase boat while you sort it out provided it's close.
Tom

dave186
10-18-2004, 01:04 PM
sweet, i will have to pick up some Ford red...as soon as I have a block to paint.

ttmott
10-18-2004, 01:06 PM
By the way - Ford Blue seems to turn to that GM blue also. Black is stealth...

FHI-prez
10-18-2004, 05:39 PM
yeah, black is stealth, but you can't see all the oil leaks with black paint! :hammerhea errr...maybe that's a good thing :wink:
I pulled the motor out today and did all the crap that had to be done, it was a bunch of crap, the motor was hanging for 7 hours today, BUT she's back in and ready to go for the most part.
ttmott....I haven't quite figured that out yet. I may ring it out on the Indian... :yuk: damn salt water! O.K. brackish....but I guess I could go over to Moss lake off 528/417 but that may be flooded too. Idunno. How do you find out where the temporary no wake zones are, and when they will be lifted? I guess I could call fish and wildlife to find out. I might just ring it out on the Indian...dammit, it is nice and close...just wish I had a heat exchanger for running in salt water. I don't think it would really hurt anything, just got to flush the hell out of it when I'm done. Where do you dump in at mott? I know you are in MI somewhere, and I used to live there so I know it pretty well, what boat ramp you use? Or you on a lift on a canal down there? Lemme know, I may just take you up on the chase boat deal. I'd like to see that twin turbo boat of yours run anyway! :eek:
Nick

ttmott
10-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Nick
I live North of the Barge canal in Indian Bay on the Indian River. What I do after running in the salt is to put it into a fresh water lake and idle around to flush the salt out. Let me know what your plans are.
Tom

FHI-prez
10-19-2004, 06:01 PM
Nick
I live North of the Barge canal in Indian Bay on the Indian River. What I do after running in the salt is to put it into a fresh water lake and idle around to flush the salt out. Let me know what your plans are.
Tom
So far Tom my plans are getting it wet this weekend :D That's pretty much where the plans end. It's completely ready to go, it could drop in tomorrow if I had the time, but alas, I don't. I'm going to call and see if lake Harney, or even south of Harney is idle only, if it is open to normal boating then I will go there. If not then unless I can think of another fresh lake, then it will go into the Indian. It's up to you, but if you want to PM me your phone # I'll give you a call if the Indian river is the spot of choice.
By the way, I was going to ask you....Is there anything you run through your motor (actually I think you have a heat exchanger :idea: ) after running in salt. I know there are products out there, I just don't know if they are engine friendly (seals and such). I'm thinking of a product like salt-away or even something as a light solution of Ospho (rust away stuff).
In any case, this winter she's getting a heat exchanger if it kills me. :eat: It would be nice to keep the sand out of the motor and get some protective coolant in her instead of friggin water. That will also give me a better option on exhaust for next season since I won't have to worry about pre-heating the water.
I was horrified to see how much sand I found in my last block! :supp: (I think 95% of it came from the previous owner.) But that may have been an integral reason why it spun a couple of rod bearings. I'd rather not repeat that little joyride. :clover:
Nick

FHI-prez
10-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Got the boat wet for the first time with the new engine and all I can say is... :D :D :D She is so quiet in the engine compartment it's almost spooky. Purrrrs like a kitten! I ran it for about 3 hours straight (well shutting it down every now and then to check on things) went back and forth on Lake Harney a dozen times or more. She cruises real nice at 32 mph (gps) at about 2k rpm. I stood on it a few times for very short bursts just to make sure the engine loosens up during break in. I don't think I ever hit the floor with the throttle and only held it for about 5 seconds starting from 40 mph and she went right up to 62 mph and let off. Pretty nice chop out there today so the ride was perfect for that boat. I couldn't take any pics but I'll try to get some this weekend. It's kind of difficult because of the flooding in the area due to our 3 nasty visitors this summer. You can only get on plane waaaayyyy away from shore, and since I was the ONLY boat out there the entire time....pics no workie. Maybe I could have some jackass friend of mine hang out there in a raft and I'll do a fly by for pics :jawdrop:
But anyway, she runs like a champ and when I finish the break-in we'll see what she tops out at! I'll probably build a rideplate and shoe before I get to that point tho. It's not very good boating around here with all the flooding and the associated "no wake" zones.
It's pretty cool having a boat that I can actually go boating on again!! :cool:
Nick

FHI-prez
10-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Sounds like another flawless day at the lake.. That must mean ya did everything right... Cool enjoy.
I don't know about all that....I just fixed my dickups before I took it out and got it wet I guess :cool:

BLEWBAYOU1
10-21-2004, 08:40 PM
Mine is a lighter ford blue.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/7820023-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/7820022-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/782Brian-8E.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/782Brian-9E.jpg
There I finally got the pics to show.
Brian

FHI-prez
10-22-2004, 04:40 AM
Sweet lookin' motor ya got there Blewbayou :cool: