PDA

View Full Version : Diesel, is it worth it?

cc322
10-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Been looking at f250 diesel's latley BUT with diesel fuel going for more than regular unleaded my question is, is it worth it? The truck would not be a daily driver only on weekends or to the river, what do you Also any v10 owners out there ? what kind of gas mileage you gettin, not that you buy these trucks for mileage anybody, anybody, bueler, bueler

Havasubum
10-09-2004, 09:20 PM
weve got an excursion with the v10 and get 7.7 miles to the gallon with 37 inch tireshttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1269random_pictures_092-med.jpg

riverbound
10-09-2004, 09:45 PM
I have a f-350 with the diesel and jhave towed with gas for yours prior to this truck. Let me tell you once you tow with diesel for the first time you will never go back to gas. The diesel is worth every penny. You will get much better mileage than a v10 and diesel have a much longer working life. Resale is also much higher on a diesel truck. Try looking for a used diesel truck, they aren't out there (there owners are keeping them) Now try looking for a used v10 truck (they are a dime a dozen) I had a v10 excursion for about 2 months before I bought my diesel and hated the mileage compared to the diesels plus they dont have the pull that a diesel has. I have a 6.5 lift with 35s and see an average of 14.4 mpg ( i also dont drive it lightly) I could see much better mileage if I would stay off the GO pedal.

STV_Keith
10-11-2004, 08:13 AM
For fuel mileage in a full sized truck, you can't beat the current diesel offerings. With mods out there to make the mileage/power even better.
My 01 Dodge Cummins gets 17-18 around town, with me flogging it every chance I get. Gets 15 towing the boat on the highway.
Not bad mileage considering 511hp/1052tq to the wheels as well.

Jordy
10-11-2004, 08:20 AM
Not bad mileage considering 511hp/1052tq to the wheels as well.
True, but you still have to drive a Dodge. :D :D :D :D :D

Mandelon
10-11-2004, 09:23 AM
Now that i moved up to a diesel, I get double the mileage I used to, can tow more and have more space, and payload capacity.
I think the diesel prices will get back where they belong soon. (Lower than gas)

STV_Keith
10-11-2004, 01:08 PM
True, but you still have to drive a Dodge. :D :D :D :D :D
And you know that from the big Dodge sticker on the tailgate! :rollside:

Jordy
10-11-2004, 01:14 PM
And you know that from the big Dodge sticker on the tailgate! :rollside:
I don't know if anyone could see it with all that billowing black smoke... :D :D :D
Besides, we've never had them in the same place at the same time and seen what they'd do side by side. ;)

N2Lake
10-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Besides, we've never had them in the same place at the same time and seen what they'd do side by side. ;)
Someone get some video if that ever happens, or do it in the greater Phoenix area during the Christmas break, I love a good drag race!

jbtrailerjim
10-11-2004, 02:58 PM
I used to think the diesel was not worth the extra dough until I drove a friends 04 F-250 PSD. I gotta have one now. Don't get me wrong. I like the V10 but the diesel just has so much more power. My dad has an 03 F-250 V10 and he loves his. Gas mileage sucks but it's not much worse than my F-150 5.4 V8. I Gotta keep my 02 F-150 another year or so or I'll be in divorce court. But my next truck will definitely be a Super Duty with a Power Stroke.

STV_Keith
10-11-2004, 03:22 PM
I don't know if anyone could see it with all that billowing black smoke... :D :D :D
Would you prefer I bring the 04 truck? The stacks get the smoke up and away rather than out and to the right. You might have to watch out for some other smoke though. :D
http://www.riverratlife.com/keith/dragtruck/dscn2438.jpg

77charger
10-11-2004, 05:32 PM
for a tow vehicle the v 10 will be fine yes milage sucks but with the weekend only thing who cares(it takes a diesel about 100k to break even fir the cost and with diesel costing more i think it will take longer).Less to maintain also.A friend of mine has the f250 with a v10 it does a good job towing but lucky to see 10mpg has a 6 inch lift and 35s.also doesnt have tranny probs,injector probs either :D

HammerDown
10-11-2004, 08:08 PM
At $2.50 per gallon :eek: unless you use that Diesel for heavy grunt work/towing...no it's not worth it. Diesel fuel cost wise has been selling above Premium Gas and thats pure BS :mad:
When I bought my diesel in 1988 fuel was less than .80 a gallon...and way lower then regular gas.
Personally I think it's kind of foolish to want a diesel just because it's the "in thing" to have and just use it as a grocery getter :rolleyes:

al cole'holic
10-12-2004, 10:41 AM
...you will find a few stations (mostly Mobil's here in the SFV) that will screw with diesel owners and jack prices like regular fuel prices but you have to know where to go. I got a couple of spots that are at the $1.98-$2.05 range which is fine with me..is it worth it with a diesel, yes. The 'burb I just picked off with a 496 is costing about $140/week (2 fillups), granted the 496 setup is not ideal for a busy Realtor. With that being said let me throw this out there in case someone is looking :D :
Duramax 4 Sale (http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=171574422&dealer_id=&car_year=2004&make=CHEV&distance=10&max_price=&model=CHEVC25&end_year=2004&advcd_on=n&min_price=&address=93063&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=2004&color=&cardist=13)

UnionJack
10-12-2004, 01:41 PM
all about the diesel

hallett 260
10-12-2004, 02:03 PM
I have a V10, F250 crew cab with a 4" lift and 35's. I get about 9 around town and 10 on the highway. I thought about the diesel but worked out the numbers and found you have to put about 110,000 miles to justify the extra cost. At 15k miles a year, I will want a new truck by the time it breaks even. Other factors were the smell, noise and inconvenience of finding diesel. The V10 pulls works great for towing my 26' Hallett deck.

al cole'holic
10-12-2004, 02:54 PM
I have a V10, F250 crew cab with a 4" lift and 35's. I get about 9 around town and 10 on the highway. I thought about the diesel but worked out the numbers and found you have to put about 110,000 miles to justify the extra cost. At 15k miles a year, I will want a new truck by the time it breaks even. Other factors were the smell, noise and inconvenience of finding diesel. The V10 pulls works great for towing my 26' Hallett deck.
It really does smell......when you have your nose up in the f'n tailpipe!! If I fill up here I can usually find diesel in Havasu when I need the next tankful.. :hammerhea

MikeF
10-12-2004, 03:43 PM
This trip to Big River from OC....RT.....Averaged 16 mpg. :D
Box stock 93 Dodge D250.
Gonna swap out the turbine housing for the smaller one when I get the chance to do it.

STV_Keith
10-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Mike F...if you have a buddy with a 2001-2002 Dodge with the auto, it came with a HY-35 turbo with a 9cm housing. I have a few customers from the past that put that on their 92-93 rigs and were very happy. Your 18cm housing would be very laggy in comparison. :) Might try it...you can find those turbos used for like $100.

HighRoller
10-13-2004, 07:46 AM
I don't know why this is even a discussion. When you have the chance to buy a truck with 100ft/lbs more torque AND gets double the gas mileage I would think it's a no brainer. The other huge advantage of diesels is that they LOVE hot weather. You could pull the Needles grade when it's 130 degrees outside with your foot to the floor and the A/C on full blast and you'll notice two things:
1.)You won't lose power because the intake charge is intercooled
2.)The temperature guage won't budge.
Gas engines suffer from heat soak and eventually lose power on long grades and/or overheat. Just another thing to consider...

Jordy
10-13-2004, 08:02 AM
You could pull the Needles grade when it's 130 degrees outside with your foot to the floor and the A/C on full blast and you'll notice two things:
1.)You won't lose power because the intake charge is intercooled
2.)The temperature guage won't budge.
Gas engines suffer from heat soak and eventually lose power on long grades and/or overheat. Just another thing to consider...
I don't know if I'd go that far. Like any other internal combustion engine, you gain and lose performance based upon the atmospheric conditions. The CAC can only do so much, and it's kind of limited on 130 degree days as the air temp coming off the pavement is probably another 10* or so hotter, if not more. I know in the middle of the day in July or August around here, my truck doesn't run as good as it does on a crisp December night. ;)
Oh, and every diesel I've ever owned warms up pulling hills. They all would go from around 185* to 200* and cool right back down after the hill. :D

HavasuDreamin'
10-13-2004, 08:36 AM
Diesels may last longer overall, but how expensive is the injector replacement and how many miles do you get out of it before it needs injectors? :idea:
Food for thought. :cool:
For me, the total butt raping you get at the pump is enough to deter me. It probably costs half the price to refine diesel, yet it is more expensive than 87 octane. That just sucks big donkey balls. :devil:

HighRoller
10-13-2004, 09:25 AM
I don't know if I'd go that far. Like any other internal combustion engine, you gain and lose performance based upon the atmospheric conditions. The CAC can only do so much, and it's kind of limited on 130 degree days as the air temp coming off the pavement is probably another 10* or so hotter, if not more. I know in the middle of the day in July or August around here, my truck doesn't run as good as it does on a crisp December night. ;)
Oh, and every diesel I've ever owned warms up pulling hills. They all would go from around 185* to 200* and cool right back down after the hill. :D
Yes, you'll lose power compared to a cold day, but I meant you won't lose power (noticeably) when towing a boat up a grade with all the accessories running. And can you really spot 15 degrees of movement on the guage? :D I especially like the newer transmissions that do all the upshifting and downshifting for you going up and down hills. Leave the cruise control on and relax....

Up 4 River
10-13-2004, 11:42 AM
This is a question I have been wondering about for sometime now. I enjoy reading everybody's response and insight on this subject. I am going to be looking at getting a new truck in the beginning of 2005. I currently have a 1997 Tahoe with a 5.7 and 6" lift on 35" tires. I have been happy with my horse power, and it has never had a problem towing my boat. I keep my boat stored at the river and it is a 21' boat at that. Would it make sense to even consider a diesel? The boat and trailer weigh 3,900 lbs. It would be my daily driver as well as my river runner. My drive to work is only 25 miles round trip, so I don't know if the extra cost is worth it, or if I even need the extra power. I am either considering the 4 door chevy with the duramax, or the 4 door with a regular 5.3 and the shorter bed. I will be lifting either one when I get it with a 6" lift and 35" tires again. Please let me know what you guys think in terms of a pratical secse and not what everybody else is doing or has.

victorfb
10-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Yes

RexRathburn
10-13-2004, 01:18 PM
I personally don't think it's worth it for my situation.
I sold my 1997 Chevy C1500 and got a 2000 F250 PSD Crew Cab 4x4. Don't get me wrong, I think the truck is bad ass, but for my application I don't think it was worth the jump (and I'll be jumping back). The only toy I tow is my Stoker which is very light. I actually got better mileage towing it with my Chevy. I think that if you have something BIG to tow, the diesel is the way to go, otherwise it's just a "hey check me out...I'm the guy with the diesel" type of thing.
Just my .02

Up 4 River
10-13-2004, 01:23 PM
I personally don't think it's worth it for my situation.
I sold my 1997 Chevy C1500 and got a 2000 F250 PSD Crew Cab 4x4. Don't get me wrong, I think the truck is bad ass, but for my application I don't think it was worth the jump (and I'll be jumping back). The only toy I tow is my Stoker which is very light. I actually got better mileage towing it with my Chevy. I think that if you have something BIG to tow, the diesel is the way to go, otherwise it's just a "hey check me out...I'm the guy with the diesel" type of thing.
Just my .02
I appreciate your thought, and am kind of leaning that way to. I don't tow a big boat a long ways, go to glamis or have a 5th weel so it's hard to justify it. What's your opinion on the new 4 door Chevy's on the standard 1500 frame?

Back Forty
10-13-2004, 01:28 PM
The Diesel mileage is so much better than a gas powered offering that the pump prices shouldn't be a consideration. I put a tad over 500 miles a week on mine and it usually comes out to about 27 gals of fuel. I document this every time I fill it up. I can drag my boat down the highway at 85mph all day long in the worst heat of the summer. Mine never gets above 190* Mileage isn't noticably affected having the AC on full blast and to top it off it's a 4x4 dually. I don't know how many times I have looked in the rear view morror and been surprised when I saw the boat behind me. :D This thing tows so well that I forget about the boat sometimes... :jawdrop:
I'll never go back. Even towing locally, I can say that the fuel savings make a weekend of trips so much more easy on the pocket book. My last tow vehicle was getting about 7mpg. Now I see 15.5 at worst doing the hard core 85mph trips. I HIGHLY recommend the diesel even for local trips.
The modern diesel truck is a superior device IMHO.
Edit.
I have a '98 24V Dodge 5 spd. I was thinking, I don't know what the latest offerings are getting for mileage...

RexRathburn
10-13-2004, 01:29 PM
I appreciate your thought, and am kind of leaning that way to. I don't tow a big boat a long ways, go to glamis or have a 5th weel so it's hard to justify it. What's your opinion on the new 4 door Chevy's on the standard 1500 frame?
I think they are really nice trucks and I would be more interested in that truck than what I have now. It is definitely more suited to what I do. I'm probably going back to an X-Cab instead of a Crew Cab.

HammerDown
10-13-2004, 01:45 PM
The Diesel mileage is so much better than a gas powered offering that the pump prices shouldn't be a consideration.
All due respects...the Diesel Engine is about a $5000.00 option. Not to mention Diesel fuel (now ah days) is much higher than Premium Gas :yuk: ...not to mention the cost of fuel filters $$$$, Ok so it holds a few more quarts of oil and a bigger more expensive oil filter. Also not to mention the new computer controlled diesel arn't shade tree mechanic friendly and thats gonna cost you $$$$ big time when it needs work.
Diesel are great, personally I like the older ones I can fix myself.
Bottom line, unless your going to keep the vehicle for a loooooooong time (like me). it's not cost effective. :idea:

STV_Keith
10-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Havasu Dreamin'...that depends on what motor you have. You can get a stock set of replacement injectors for a 98.5-02 Cummins for around $250 for the set. Of course, a modified set that ADD 100 extra ponies to the wheels will run you only $700. :D Try to find those for a gas motor! :p
Now, the Powerstroke injectors are much more...around $2250 per set. A set of Dmax injectors for the LB7 trucks is about the same...if you can find a set.
Dunno where you guys are seeing these prices for diesel, but here in Vegas, diesel is 2.21/gal today, with regular at 2.23, and Super at 2.43.

RexRathburn
10-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Dunno where you guys are seeing these prices for diesel, but here in Vegas, diesel is 2.21/gal today, with regular at 2.23, and Super at 2.43.
I paid 2.43 for diesel last night...saw it as high as 2.55!!!! :sqeyes:

XTRM22
10-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Been looking at f250 diesel's latley BUT with diesel fuel going for more than regular unleaded my question is, is it worth it? The truck would not be a daily driver only on weekends or to the river, what do you Also any v10 owners out there ? what kind of gas mileage you gettin, not that you buy these trucks for mileage anybody, anybody, bueler, bueler
I've done the math a couple times since buying my 2001 Super Duty w/ V-10, just based on fuel alone it would take me 100,000 miles to make up the difference in the upgrade to diesel. I love my V-10 I get 10-11 around town and 12-13 on the highway (not towing) and 10mpg towing. If I had a big boat 30+ I'd probably prefer a diesel ( I'd actually prefer a V-10 with a whipple charger) for the torque. I towed Charley's old 29 Mach back to Tucson and got 9 mpg running 75. It's all preference I guess, I run 285 75 16 tires on my truck, not lifted so I'm not as cool as everybody else. I spent alot of hours working in a diesel shop maintaining trucks a few years back + many hours operating diesel equipment, if I can possibley avoid that diesel stink for the rest of my life I damn sure will.
Chuck :)

K9Blitz
10-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Just went through the same dilema shopping for a new truck. I bought a Dodge Hemi 4-dr 4x4. I did the math and I would have to keep the truck for 5 yrs 10 mo. and put 69,000 miles on it for the extra initial cost to equal the mpg savings. I was pretty conservative with my numbers. I used the ol' GPS on a recent return trip from Laughlin to So. Cal (not towing) and got 13.2 mpg cruising at 75mph. The diesels cannot be touched when it comes to towing, but for the 2 trips a year when I bring the boat into town for service, it ain't worth it.

Lightning
10-13-2004, 03:42 PM
I paid 2.43 for diesel last night...saw it as high as 2.55!!!! :sqeyes:
Where are you getting gas at? That's pretty steep. I am paying around $2.30 locally. The first month I had my truck, the Diesel was $1.5 and gas was $2.20 - then it all changed for whatever reason and everything is about the same.

RexRathburn
10-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Where are you getting gas at? That's pretty steep. I am paying around $2.30 locally. The first month I had my truck, the Diesel was $1.5 and gas was $2.20 - then it all changed for whatever reason and everything is about the same.
That's what I paid in Poway last night. It's always right at 2.40 over here in Carmel Valley at the Shell station. The 2.55 I saw in Clairemont at a Mobil station right next to the freeway.
Where do you get it for 2.30?

Lightning
10-13-2004, 04:04 PM
That's what I paid in Poway last night. It's always right at 2.40 over here in Carmel Valley at the Shell station. The 2.55 I saw in Clairemont at a Mobil station right next to the freeway.
Where do you get it for 2.30?
Convoy and Clairemont, there is a Citgo that is usually the cheapest around. I have not gassed up in a week and half, so it might be up to your price now that I think about it. There is usually pretty cheap stuff on Poway Rd - I think the Chevron is pretty cheap, no?

RexRathburn
10-13-2004, 04:07 PM
Convoy and Clairemont, there is a Citgo that is usually the cheapest around. I have not gassed up in a week and half, so it might be up to your price now that I think about it. There is usually pretty cheap stuff on Poway Rd - I think the Chevron is pretty cheap, no?
Not right now I guess. It has been between 2.37 and 2.43 for a while now. :devil:
Last weekend I got diesel at Flying J's in Ehrenburg for 2.03! :rollside: I thought I hit the lotto!

Jordy
10-13-2004, 04:09 PM
I think I paid $2.09 yesterday for diesel, but today on the other side of town I saw it for $2.42. Just depends where you go.
As far as working out the extra cost, my last truck (6.5 Chevy) had 65K on it when I bought it and 7 years later it had 245K on it. Really all I ever did was tires, brakes, did a tranny at 202K, and a couple injection pumps. I did the math on it and it cost me somewhere around $100 a month to own. Can't beat that.
For me it's just too much of a pain in the ass to get a new truck set up. I'll be keeping this one for another 5 or so years, unless someone comes along and makes an offer I can't refuse, or it gets totalled.
I'll never buy another gas truck, at least not for a daily driver and tow vehicle. ;)

77charger
10-13-2004, 04:26 PM
what is the life expectancy out of a diesel these days.?I saw gm rates the duramx as a 200k motor as well as the 8.1.I know the dodge is suppose to be the longest lasting but how about fords and gms.I know the newer gassers will go 200k easily also.Besides who keeps their trucks for 150k plus miles these days?
My uncle has a 96 cummins with 300k miles it seems to be trouble free brags how its a million mile motor(I cant say that for our work trucks that were dodges all gone now biggest POS's.) but he was giving me shit cause i bought a 2500hd with a 6.0 gas.For me it suits my needs and i only plan to keep for about 7-8 years maybe 200kmiles.I told my uncle that his truck will probably fall apart before the motor does(its almost there :D )and before my motor goes i'll buy another truck

MikeF
10-13-2004, 07:50 PM
A little more to chew on. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/153Cummins_connecting_rod.jpg

Jordy
10-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Interesting that they'd post a 6.2 rod as the 6.2 was phased out in the late 80's/early 90's. :wink:

Wicky
10-13-2004, 10:59 PM
This is a question I have been wondering about for sometime now. I enjoy reading everybody's response and insight on this subject. I am going to be looking at getting a new truck in the beginning of 2005. I currently have a 1997 Tahoe with a 5.7 and 6" lift on 35" tires. I have been happy with my horse power, and it has never had a problem towing my boat. I keep my boat stored at the river and it is a 21' boat at that. Would it make sense to even consider a diesel? The boat and trailer weigh 3,900 lbs. It would be my daily driver as well as my river runner. My drive to work is only 25 miles round trip, so I don't know if the extra cost is worth it, or if I even need the extra power. I am either considering the 4 door chevy with the duramax, or the 4 door with a regular 5.3 and the shorter bed. I will be lifting either one when I get it with a 6" lift and 35" tires again. Please let me know what you guys think in terms of a pratical secse and not what everybody else is doing or has.
03 GMC 2500HD
No Diesel here.
Recently drove from Boise to Claremont averaged 16.2 mpg.
P.S. I have a buddy in Upland who has a 01 F250 with the V10.
He stripped spark plug hole #3 in the passenger side aluminum head.
Don't ever do this. I thought it would be an easy fix but,
to remove the head (for hela coil) the body must be lifted off the frame.
What a pain in the ass. The truck has 125K on it so, this will be a a test for JB WELD to hold a the plug in its place. I figured the motor would only be alive for another 75K or so. Might as well try. Any other suggestions?

STV_Keith
10-14-2004, 08:07 AM
Interesting that they'd post a 6.2 rod as the 6.2 was phased out in the late 80's/early 90's. :wink:
You like this one better Jordy?
http://www.speedcraving.com/keith/rods-isb-ps6-dmax.jpg

Jordy
10-14-2004, 09:45 AM
The way I see it, that's just extra weight that has to be started and stopped in the rotating assembly. Besides, the Dodge guys are trying to compensate for being a couple cylinders short. :D :D

Back Forty
10-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Photochop of the first pic. Same rods from the first pic. Do I win? :hammerhea

77charger
10-14-2004, 04:03 PM
damn that dodge rod looks like it can be used as an anchor.The ford and chevys maybe an r/c boat anchor :argue:

cc322
10-14-2004, 05:37 PM
Still cant make up my mind, Ford right now is offering 2000.00 discounts on all 04 6.0 diesels, which makes it only a 3000.00 differance in cost between the v-10 (not bad) but I have seen 04 v-10's going for 26.000.00 and some change ,that was a crew cab 4x4 xlt :confused:

Jordy
10-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Bottom line, I suppose it depends on how long you're planning on keeping your truck and what is important to you. I'm just at the point that I'll never own another gasser, then again, I keep my trucks for more than a couple years and am a firm believer in all the plus factors that a diesel has to offer. :D

HammerDown
10-14-2004, 07:43 PM
and am a firm believer in all the plus factors that a diesel has to offer. :D
Sorry Jordy...but the cost of Diesel Fuel isn't one of them. :notam:
And trust me it's pissin me off so much :yuk: I may start burning the pink stuff!

Jordy
10-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Sorry Jordy...but the cost of Diesel Fuel isn't one of them. :notam:
And trust me it's pissin me off so much :yuk: I may start burning the pink stuff!
I've got an 80 gallon tank of red dye with a transfer pump in the bed of my work truck (another duramax). Even red dye is up around $1.70 per gallon anymore out here. It's stupid. The only reason diesel is that high is that the fuel companies see the $5K option for the diesel and think that people have money to burn so up the fuel price, even though it's more or less a by product of gas refining. It's a sad deal...

HammerDown
10-14-2004, 08:47 PM
The only reason diesel is that high is that the fuel companies see the $5K option for the diesel and think that people have money to burn so up the fuel price, even though it's more or less a by product of gas refining. It's a sad deal...
So true my friend...I also tend to belive the fad/popularity the Diesel has come to acquire has alot to do with it. :rolleyes:

Jordy
10-14-2004, 08:51 PM
So true my friend...I also tend to belive the fad/popularity the Diesel has come to acquire has alot to do with it. :rolleyes:
It wasn't bad 10 years ago when I had my first one... :(
Then again, I had a 12,000 gallon diesel tank in the equipment yard of the company I worked for. Racked up 52,000 business miles and had about $200 in fuel receipts. Those were the days. :D

HavasuDreamin'
10-15-2004, 07:44 AM
Havasu Dreamin'...that depends on what motor you have. You can get a stock set of replacement injectors for a 98.5-02 Cummins for around $250 for the set. Of course, a modified set that ADD 100 extra ponies to the wheels will run you only $700. :D Try to find those for a gas motor! :p
Now, the Powerstroke injectors are much more...around $2250 per set. A set of Dmax injectors for the LB7 trucks is about the same...if you can find a set.
Thanks for the info. A friend of mine is a mechanic at a local Ford dealer and said the injectors were outrageous ........plus installation.
Like I said, the fact that Diesel is significantly cheaper to refine, yet just as expensive as 87 octane to the consumer, is just plain butt raping. That equals a boat load more profit to Mr. Oil Co. The oil company's can take their diesel and stick it up their arse as far as I am concerned. http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/2up.gif

77charger
10-15-2004, 04:59 PM
I think the increased number of diesel trucks has to do with the price increases.10-15 years ago there werent as many diesels on the road now its a fad everyone has to have one you only get so much diesel per barrel i think its half of what you get compared to gas.Supply and demand.You cant get diesel on every corner like you can gas.with increased sales it will only get worse.

riverbound
10-16-2004, 09:14 AM
One of the other benefits of diesel is the fact that they can sit their and idle forever and ot overheat. That was a big concern for me because I bring my young kids with me to the river and if something were to happen in the middle of the desert I know that the truck would sit their and idle all day with the ac blowing without over heating.
The other thing to think about, especially if you plan on selling it right away is the higher resale value of the diesel trucks.

77charger
10-16-2004, 04:38 PM
One of the other benefits of diesel is the fact that they can sit their and idle forever and ot overheat. That was a big concern for me because I bring my young kids with me to the river and if something were to happen in the middle of the desert I know that the truck would sit their and idle all day with the ac blowing without over heating.
The other thing to think about, especially if you plan on selling it right away is the higher resale value of the diesel trucks.
everyone says that but i idle my gasser for along time too no overheating either in needles in summer too.has never overheated hot day cold day up hill loaded unloaded,etc bla bla bla.
as for resale like i have stated before you pay more for a diesel so common sense it will sell for more.kinda like a fully loaded truck v8 vs a base model v6.not replying for drama issue but from experience

HammerDown
10-17-2004, 05:42 AM
With the ever rising (fuel) prices :hammerhea ...I tend to belive resale value may get a smack in the face.
Again as I stated prior...unless this Diesel Vehicle is put to (work) and used for (work) it's not worth having just to say "I've got one".
I remember one of the main reasons I got mine was due to the fact Diesel at the time was $.50 a gal much, much lower than regular grade gasoline.
Not so any more.

bigq
10-17-2004, 08:37 AM
I just bought my first diesel about 10 months ago. I use to think they were awful trucks. They stink, smoke, take forever to get going...etc. Man was i wrong, now I love the sweet smell, more smoke=more power :wink: and spool the turbo :eek:
Actually i bought it for a few reasons:
I keep trucks a while so longevity
Fuel milage 21.5 (not towing at 65) Takes a dive around town :wink:
Power to price ratio (comp add ons, injectors..etc.) major power for a fraction of a gasser
The biggest, Have a friend at a Dodge dealer so I got a great price :wink:
just got gas the other day for $2.39. A lot of the rise in cost is that refineries are needing to remove the sulfur from the fuel. They need to pass that cost on to the consumer. I know that Arco has already added the equipment to there refineries and are producing sulfur free, but they are also the most expensive. I think this regulation is a must by 2007.
The next step I guess would be biodiesel :2purples:

HammerDown
10-17-2004, 02:45 PM
I just bought my first diesel about 10 months ago.
Just got gas the other day for $2.39. :
Gas.............. :confused:
And trust me...the stink from diesel (fuel)...gets old fast.

STV_Keith
10-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Gas.............. :confused:
And trust me...the stink from diesel (fuel)...gets old fast.
Funny, the more I'm around it, the better I think it smells. :hammer2:

PHX ATC
10-18-2004, 07:55 AM
Diesel: better mileage despite the slightly higher cost of fuel, longer engine life, sounds better, less maintenance (as a general rule), and it is less severe on the running gear while towing.
I just towed our boat (6K poundsish) from Phoenix to Havasu, to San Marcos, and back to Phoenix. The average fuel mileage calculated by hand, not the overhead computer, was 17.4 mpg. I was doing between 70 in Cali and 75 in AZ. Nothing faster, nothing much slower even on the hills. I had regular vacation gear in the back of the truck and in the boat.
There's no gas motor out there that could do that. That's not a bad thing nor a good thing, just an observation.
This was done in a 2001 Dodge Cummins with a 6 spd and some little modifications.
Besides, if you buy a diesel, you can pick on everybody else. :rollside:

N2Lake
10-18-2004, 06:52 PM
I would get a gas rig, the are easier on the running gear, and tires. :D J/K Really though I have owned a diesel from 1990 up until September of 2001, when I traded for Supercrew. While I loved the Screw I always missed the power and mileage I got out of a diesel. Anyway August of 2004 I am back in a diesel, that was a long 35 months!