PDA

View Full Version : 04 stroke, tranny problems?

jet4fun
10-10-2004, 12:16 PM
as i was hitting 6,500 miles on my 2004 powerstroke, the wonderful and supposedly badass ("it's just like the allison", yeah right) powertorque transmission decided to take a shit... actually it still runs but is doing a bunch of neat things like taking 5 seconds to engage into gear and when it does its a hard klunk, it is also shifting with klunks and other wonderful things too...
i havent even towed with it yet, and i am supposed to be getting the lift and wheels/tires soon... took it to the dealership and guess what, they plugged it into their computer system and it says to "tear down and inspect it"
man i'm hot. i didnt pay 45000 so i could drive around on some old rebuilt p.o.s. tranny... has anyone else had any problems with this tranny? just wondering what you did

RealDarthPoncho
10-10-2004, 04:10 PM
I would demand a new truck or tran. I have 10,000 miles on my 04 with zero problems. Picked it up Aug 20th. with 10 miles so you can see I do alot of driving.

Jordy
10-10-2004, 05:12 PM
OK, I'm prepared to get flamed by the ford crew, but the oh so wonderful answer to the Allison is an E4OD with an extra gear. Simple as that. I'm surprised more people don't have problems. I know quite a few were having them worked over at 40K, much like the old GM 700R4. They're playing in a league they're not ready for (that being the diesel with the low rpm/high torque curve that kills transmissions) with a tranny that was a knee jerk response to the Allison.
Flame away, but at least have the balls to sign it. I'm stating fact. Sorry if you regret your purchase. ;)

Jordy
10-10-2004, 06:04 PM
Wow, it's already started. Got an unsigned one at 6:58 tonight.
At that time there were 3 people here:
me, 25Elmn8r, riverbound
Anyone want to fess up?
Lost 3 points. That works out to someone with around 1000 posts as near as I can figure. Hmmm.... :wink:

JetBoatRich
10-10-2004, 06:45 PM
JP looked like a fair response to me, no reason to beat it up. You mentioned GM had a similiar problem.
I have a PSD with close to 34,000 miles no problems with the tranny :D I would imagine almost any manufacture has a few customers with a product that did not meet what was expected :confused:

jet4fun
10-11-2004, 07:22 AM
well i am going to tell them that if they have to do any more than a simple external bolt on than i want a "brand new from the factory" tranny, not some rebuild... as far as a buyack, i dont know if i would even want to deal with something like that, my friend did it and went through hell...
my big concern is that i am planning on putting 40" tires on this thing and i already told them that i want this fixed before they go on, but if this problem comes in to play again in the future i dont want them to tell me it's because of my tires because it was doing it when it was stock, plus this truck is designed to tow a LOT of weight (which i dont do) so there is no reason the 40's should hurt the tranny any more than towing 12,000 pounds. actually the 40's are propably way better, especially if i gear, which i am planning on doing

CustomCruiser
10-11-2004, 08:00 AM
I have an '04 PSD/TorqShift, 37" tires, 11,000 mi, and have towed many times with it and have had no problems.
The only instances I've heard of this trans failing is when people install piggy-back performance modules. The trans has problems shifting into high gear with the added HP and torque. I think there are aftermarket upgrades available now to handle increased power.
My '97 F150 had the E4OD trans. It was OK, but I like the TorqShift better for towing.

COELIMINATOR
10-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Not to be pessimistic here, but if you install a lift and bigger tires, the dealer CAN decline warranty if you have another trans failure. Probably best to stay in good graces with the dealer. I agree on the issue of having a NEW trans instead of repairing the one in your truck. Sam

Speedin' Ian
10-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Jet4Fun chances are if there is a major problem with your trans they will replace it rather than repair it. I hope everything works out, I know quite a few people with the same truck towing heavy loads with lifts and none of them have had any problems. Maybe you just got a defect and a new trans will be the end of your problems.
Hey JP why are you so wrapped up in rep. points? Everytime someone dings you, you come on line and rant about it. Maybe people don't sign them because they don't want to deal with your incessant flaming.
P.S. are you sure the torque shift is just an E4OD with an extra gear? My friend is a trans tech for Ford and he disagrees. Plus it doesn't look the same.

Jordy
10-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Hey JP why are you so wrapped up in rep. points? Everytime someone dings you, you come on line and rant about it. Maybe people don't sign them because they don't want to deal with your incessant flaming.
P.S. are you sure the torque shift is just an E4OD with an extra gear? My friend is a trans tech for Ford and he disagrees. Plus it doesn't look the same.
If they're going to take the time to try and ding someone, they should at least have the sack to sign it, or if they're not going to sign it, they should at least try and be a little sneakier about it.
As far as the E4OD, did I say they were exactly the same? No. Probably not going to work cramming an extra gear in the same case huh? That would be why they aren't identical, which I never said they were. So quick to jump to conclusions here huh?

N2Lake
10-11-2004, 01:46 PM
If they're going to take the time to try and ding someone, they should at least have the sack to sign it, or if they're not going to sign it, they should at least try and be a little sneakier about it.
I agree with that, I never give any rep except postive, so I have no problem signing it. There are plenty of folks that give enough negative rep for the whole board, you don't need any from me.

jet4fun
10-11-2004, 07:50 PM
well as far as the tires go, i already talked to the service writer about it and he said there would be no problem, the only place where he said i would really get into any problems was if i were to install some kind of module or programmer, which i don't have... my truck is completely bone stock right now and has been since i bought it...
i am fully aware that this tranny problem is kind of a freak thing (it is just my luck that i was the one to have it), i know over a dozen people with 6.0/powertorque's and bigger tires/tow heavy loads and nobody i know of has had a problem... the thing i heard was injector and other problems on the '03 models (that was why my friend's got bought back), that's why i waited till '04, i was told the problems got ironed out with the motor, and I haven't had any motor problems...
i mainly just wanted to know if anyone else had any tranny problems and what they did.. i was told by the service writer when i brought it in that he has had a couple trucks in recently with the same problem (i was kind suprised he said that) and i am just wondering if there was maybe a bad run of trannys, my truck was built 06/04 according to the build date on the door sill.

jet4fun
10-11-2004, 07:55 PM
i was also pretty pissed that he said they would not give me a rental or loaner car during the time they had my truck. even if it was for a couple of days. he said it's because i didnt buy the extended warranty.... i basically thought that was total B.S. , what if this were my only car and i didnt have one i could borrow...
anyone know what the rental rate is on a full size pickup? i am supposed to go on a 500 mile each way trip on thursday, what if my truck isn't fixed by then?

MATTRSMAN
10-13-2004, 08:29 AM
I have an '03 Excursion with 37" tires, 6.5" lift, Edge chip, Bully dog Propane injection and I am on my third tranny. This last one I bought at Us Diesel Parts and it is made in colorado, It has a triple lock torque converter and is still slipping at high rpms between shifts. I think the problem comes with throttle possition, the more throttle the less line pressure, it must be a factory computer problem. The tranny guys are saying they are close to releasing a module that will control the line pressure, we will see.
Good luck

jet4fun
10-31-2004, 07:09 PM
----update-----
yeah, no friggin surprise. my truck has been at ford now for almost 3 weeks. i am currently driving a chevy cavalier as my replacement (which i had to wait 3 days for because ford wasnt gonna give me the free rental car initially because i dont have the "extended warranty"???? what the hell does this have to do with an extended warranty it was only 2 months old when it broke!!!)...
well they told me that ford wont authorize a new tranny unless the damage exceeds $3,800, and guess what, the damage was estimated at $2,300 (of course) ... so i was gonna make some phone calls and yell at someone,,,,, but then the service advisor at the dealership talked me out of wanting the new tranny, heres why............. apparently what went wrong is starting to become a common problem, the way it was explained to me is that there is a gear in the tranny that has a pin pressed in to it that holds it in place and what happened is that the pin came loose and allowed the gear to move aound inside and run in to other parts and break it to pieces............. so the service advisor said that ford re-designed the part and now it wont happen, he said that every possible part that could have been damaged will be replaced new, even the cooler and lines... he told me that if i demanded a brand new one (if i could even get it authorized) the new one would still have that faulty part because there wasnt a recall on it.
well now the tranny has been put together 3 times because every time he gets it back in to the truck there has still been a problem (what about all that jabber that letting them rebuild it would be better because it will have the new badass part????????)
i'm pissed and i dont know what to do, i cant see how it is ever gonna be right anymore :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jordy
10-31-2004, 08:55 PM
<insert Ford transmission problem comment here>
Sorry to hear it. ;)

jet4fun
11-01-2004, 07:31 AM
yeah, i wonder how hard it would be to put an allison in it??? someone must make an adapter, or needs to :D

Jordy
11-01-2004, 07:55 AM
yeah, i wonder how hard it would be to put an allison in it??? someone must make an adapter, or needs to :D
The hard part wouldn't be the adapter, I think it would be the wiring harness and getting the Allison to speak and understand Ford. :wink: :cool:

COELIMINATOR
11-01-2004, 02:19 PM
The hard part wouldn't be the adapter, I think it would be the wiring harness and getting the Allison to speak and understand Ford. :wink: :cool:
How would you like to open that "can of worms". LOL.
Sam

jackpunx
11-01-2004, 02:46 PM
37" tires extra power.. 22k miles.. so far.. no problems..
Im sorry about your truck.. I hope it all gets worked out..

jet4fun
11-02-2004, 07:29 AM
37" tires extra power.. 22k miles.. so far.. no problems..
Im sorry about your truck.. I hope it all gets worked out..
well, it would have to be me... i personally know 6 other people that have all bought identical trucks within 6 months of eachother, and i am the only one who has had tranny problems, figures :mad: