PDA

View Full Version : I am trying to quit

taxman
10-10-2004, 03:40 PM
:sqeyes: I am trying to quite smoking and I feel like choking the next person I see. I was standing in line at the grocery store and I almost lost it.... I am loosing my cool .......any suggestions

Infomaniac
10-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Since Tom Brown is not here to answer you. I will give you his answer.
Masturbate Heavily.

CARRERA
10-10-2004, 03:49 PM
:sqeyes: I am trying to quite smoking and I feel like choking the next person I see. I was standing in line at the grocery store and I almost lost it.... I am loosing my cool .......any suggestions
I was a smoker at one time and had a friend that was told by his Doctor he had to quit or else. So I said to myself, after THIRTY FOUR years of smoking why wait til I get to that point and have some Doctor tell me the same.
That has been seven years, and I have not had one Cig.
I wish you the best.......

TCHB
10-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Smoking will hurt you in the long run. Good luck in quitting smoking!!!!!

Back Forty
10-10-2004, 06:05 PM
I am trying to quite smoking and I feel like choking the next person I see.
I can tell you what worked for me. It didn't take long to forget about smoking although you may still want to choke the living .... out of somebody.
About two weeks after I quit smoking (cold turkey), I decided to quit sugar also. Sheeeoooot....! Smoking was nothing compared to sugar. Even worse was the massive effort in learning how to eat, shop for groceries and just plain avoid the vending machine at work. You can only do the sugar free goodies for so long before you start gaining weight and find out that with all of the carbs the sugar free crap has in it, you might as well be eating 1 pound bags of sugar after all. What a mess. One nice thing about it all... You will get so tied up in the sugar deal that you'll laugh about the cigarettes. I dare anybody to try swearing off all forms of sugar,,, :220v: :squiggle:
Also, if you have a lapse on the sugar deal, you won't smell like the cigarette bucket out on the smoking deck. Every once and a while I will partake in something sweet at the pressuring of the girls. I don't feel bad about it. But man does the sugar run me down. Cigarettes.... :D Ha HA He HA!!!!!
Have at it!
Good luck.

LUVNLIFE
10-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Get a drug habit to even it out. Just kidding bro. I quit smoking because I took an ambulance ride after the heart hickuped. Scarred me enough. Hang in there buddy and soon you won't be able to stand second hand smoke. Just keep your pace and it will all be good. Cale

Back Forty
10-10-2004, 06:15 PM
I should mention... I quit in January of this year. I have noticed within the last few weeks that I am not worried anymore about a lapse. I figure it took about 8-9 months and I'm never going back. I'm 28 and have the rest of my life to live.

LUVNLIFE
10-10-2004, 06:17 PM
You are right forty. You reach a point and thats it. ;)

Some Kind Of Monster
10-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Here's a suggestion... Read this:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57597

Some Kind Of Monster
10-10-2004, 07:39 PM
I figure it took about 8-9 months and I'm never going back. I'm 28 and have the rest of my life to live.
Awesome. Props to you! :)

SoCalOffshore
10-10-2004, 08:51 PM
pill and patch. I quit after 20 years of 2 packs of Marlboro/day.

Scream
10-10-2004, 09:02 PM
You're doing the right thing in quitting. I quit 6 years ago and haven't looked back. I do have the errant cigar every year or so, but that's it and I don't miss smoking one minute.
The pissyness is due to the chemical imballance your body is giving you due to the nicotine withdrawl. Try the gum or patch. that will take the edge off the attitued, but some moderate excercise (walking etc.) will also go along way to lessening the effects of the withdrawls.
Good luck
Scream

switchin'addiction
10-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Good luck man! That's all I can say. If you are doing it for you, then it is just a matter of time before they are a distant memory! Good luck!!!

fkeys
10-11-2004, 06:18 PM
I quit 01/03/04. It's been the second hardest thing I've done, behind college. I got a prescription to Wellbutrin (Zyban) but used that for only about a month. I thought the drug caused the bitchy-ness in the beginning, but now realize it's a result of the chemical re-balance that Scream talks about.
After three days the nicotine is out of your body. The "craving" you have are psycological. The hard part in quitting, is reprogramming your day. All smokers have a "light-up" routine they follow almost religiously. I found that after about a month or two, the light-up cravings were beatable. Don't get me wrong - I think about having one 10 or 15 times a day - still!!
Quitting is HARD, but it's worth it - everything tastes goooooood! No more hacking - no more money going up in smoke, you find yourself with alot more time on your hands!! Most noticably to me is no more ashtray stench on your hair, clothes, car, hands and breathe!!
There is a billboard around here that always helps. It says: "Never quit quitting." Good luck!! :smile:

Wasabe
10-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Here's a suggestion... Read this:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57597
Quiting was the best thing I ever did. No matter the reason... any reason is good. I did it for Jeffery.
I'm now running 3 miles a day and in better shape then when I was 16.

Boozer
10-11-2004, 06:26 PM
I'm on day 2 of quiting. I want to kill someone but I have to do it.
Shortly before leaving Colorado my brother was admitted into the hospital because of his Cystic Fibrosis. While in one of the several rooms they put him in before his permanent room was figured out we played around with the oxygen meter that tells you your blood oxygen level. Mine was lower then his and he was doing so bad they were considering putting him on oxygen!
After moving here I was able to breath a lot better I would wake up in the morning and not be fighting for air so I figured I'm okay and so forth. Well after 3 months of being here I'm right back to fighting for air when I wake up in the morning. Not to mention my new office has a stair case thats pretty big and I'm up and down it all day. One trip up in a hurry and I'm down for 10+ minutes trying to breathe.
Needless to say people are going to have to deal with my sh*tty attitude for a while because I'm beating this thing once and for all. I'm trying cold turkey but if the cravings get to strong I'm going to go get the patch.