PDA

View Full Version : first ride, initial impressions

kielbasa
10-11-2004, 04:21 AM
Hi guys, had mt 1970 Century MKII w/318 vdrive out for the first time the other day....not good experience, the propshaft and prop went straight out the back of the boat after slowing down from a wide open run, a t least I made it to shore before the boat sank....shoudn't there be some collar or something to keep from loosing the shaft??!!
anyways, I have no idea what was on there for a prop, and what kind of material are the shafts made from? My dad and brother are both tool and die makers, so I'm guessin they could each make a shaft for me, but where do I start for a prop??
also, the boat took half the lake to turn, is that normal?? I'm used to outboards, so this is new to me....and during a turn the boat experienced big time vibrations (maybe that was the propshaft working loose?) Any ideas what could be?? Thanks!

lucky
10-11-2004, 05:43 AM
your lucky !!!!!
the shaft should be held in place with a key way and a coupler you should also have a saftey coller between the v drive and shaft log - i run mine about an inch above the shaft log - so if it hit i'd hear it and still have my shaft and prop lol .. also run a saftey collar on your ruddder for the same reason ... sry to hear about your bad news - your boat should not vibearte - it should run smooth and turn realitivly quick - a prop shaft should be made out of aquamet 22 ( stainless stock ) then you key the shaft and run a taper and thread - you should just buy one already done - cost is not cheap for a good shaft -- good luck i'm really surpised ya didn't take out your rudder - when it left the boat - bust be shoved way up in the middle of the boat - almost sounds like your shaft was bent already ...

V-Drive Tom
10-11-2004, 06:20 AM
KIELBASA, Thats GOT to be about the #1 thing you want to never happen.
If you would like to call me I will help you out with info and parts. TOM..
I think #1 would be turning the thing over! But thats #1.10

kielbasa
10-11-2004, 06:33 AM
well, it bent up the rudder pretty good, I'll have to take it out and somehow straighten it, but it is very tall, and narrow from front to back....is that why it doesn't turn very well??
also the vibrations would go away when the boat would run in a straight line, but making a turn is when the whole boat would just shudder.......

Carnivalride
10-11-2004, 06:41 AM
kielbasa,
If the boat is fine going straight but it picks up a vibration turning check you rudder assembly! It sounds like you rudder shaft, stuffing box and/or the top support bearing are worn. Grab hold of the bottom of your rudder and see how much it moves when you push it back & forth & side to side. If it moves in the stuffing box you need to disassemble and mic some parts.
My .02

superdave013
10-11-2004, 07:05 AM
You got pretty lucky. If that prop would have gotten hung up / stuck on the rudder and stopped you would have went swimming for sure. Take the advice about the saftey collars on rudders and propshafts.

Snowboat
10-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Wow, I'm glad you're OK. Don't know where you are from, but it sounds like you might have the same problems that I had, no local gurus. I'll bet that in 24 hours Gofastracer will tell you how to access his photo albums. You'll get pics of everything. Helped me enough to run off nice color pics of everything. Poke around in the links section of this site.
http://www.v-driveboat.com/

charitycase
10-11-2004, 08:29 AM
Kielbasa,I too lost a shaft this year in a flat.Mine however went to the bottom of the Sacramento river.I now run 2 safety collars, one by the strut & one by the shaft log.For pics go to dragboatrace.com & click on Colousa July 4th.Everybody on the boards are way cool & will help.Good luck

Rexone
10-11-2004, 08:33 AM
Kielbasa,I too lost a shaft this year in a flat.Mine however went to the bottom of the Sacramento river.I now run 2 safety collars, one by the strut & one by the shaft log.For pics go to dragboatrace.com & click on Colousa July 4th.Everybody on the boards are way cool & will help.Good luck
Just a note on the collar in front of the strut. This can cause turbulance and aireate the water feeding the prop (not necessarily ideal) and can also impede water passing through the strut bearing at speed. For those reasons I don't recommend it. One good one in front of the seal inside is adequate. Just my .02. :smile:

Moneypitt
10-11-2004, 09:08 AM
I'm with rexone on this on. A collar in front of the strut will do what he said, as well as being un necessary if the one between the coupler and the shaft log is a good quality one, and properly installed. Another note, use steel bolts in the coupler. Stainless doesn't have the tensil strenght. Use locktite and paint the allenheads to prevent rust, and after a couple of loosen/tighten uses, throw them away.........I almost lost the shaft out of my hydro at about 70, and the safety collar saved me. The boat still made a hard left when the coupler locked up on some of the v drive bracing, but didn't go over. There are also different grade safety collars, get a good one and re new the bolts often.................MP
PS, remember the set screw over the key, if your coupler doesn't have one, put one in.............

fastvdriver
10-11-2004, 11:17 AM
spent my summers as a kid in a 72 Century MKII what a great boat! the boat had a 340 in it and towed skiers all day long. road perfect and turned pretty good too. I would not try to straighten the rudder. if it is the oringal ruddar you are only asking for problems latter. like the blade coming off the shaft! bronze blade ss shaft, the bronze blade with flex and allow the pin loosen in the shaft, that is assuming that it has the PIN in the shaft. and not just a press fit. you can also save some coin by using a aqua met 19 shaft instead of a 22 you will never need the strength of the 22 in your boat.

83nordic
10-11-2004, 12:18 PM
I have a used cruiser rudder that i would part with. all steel i would have it verified before i could let it go but appears to be fine and would help your turning issue. 1 1/8 shaft may be a problem though. Let me know and don't straighten the old one, that would be asking for more bad stories.
Good luck

GofastRacer
10-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Looks like this issue has been resolved!..

repo man
10-11-2004, 07:03 PM
same thing hapened to my brother and he allmost died, you don't know how lucky you got.