PDA

View Full Version : Enlighten me on header adapters

ONAROLL
10-11-2004, 04:44 PM
I've seen adapters for sale that allow you to use BBC headers on a BBF, does anyone have any experience good or bad with these things? thanks Vic

LakesOnly
10-11-2004, 04:56 PM
I've seen adapters for sale that allow you to use BBC headers on a BBF, does anyone have any experience good or bad with these things? thanks Vic
I think Blown472 used those and wasn't very happy with them...
LO

ONAROLL
10-11-2004, 05:01 PM
I just ended up with 4 sets of Cheby headers, I would like to use em on my BBF, Vic

hack job
10-11-2004, 06:09 PM
i have a set for sale they work pretty well if you get the good ones i bought my first set form eddie marine and they would have taken a maricle to make them fit and seal right.
iam selling the second set( i took the first set back to eddie and went down the road to lighting headers) i would say that they work but if you are in high hp sit. then i would would say they can be a bit restrictive. if you are intrested in the ones i have they are 100 plus shipping ( they cost 199 new)

GofastRacer
10-11-2004, 06:12 PM
I would just make a set myself, that way they would work!.. :smile:

ONAROLL
10-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Hack Job, did you decide they were not efficient or hard to keep together? Im looking at using them on a set of unbaffled dry headers with approx 600hp......Vic

ONAROLL
10-11-2004, 06:35 PM
I would just make a set myself, that way they would work!.. :smile:
:idea:
I think hack Jobs would be a deal even just for a template.............

GofastRacer
10-11-2004, 06:44 PM
:idea:
I think hack Jobs would be a deal even just for a template.............
Yeah they would be good for templates and then just blend the new ones to fit, would save a lot of time!..Hmmm, gives me an idea maybe I'll look for a junk head and make some!.. :smile:

Blown 472
10-12-2004, 05:29 PM
I think Blown472 used those and wasn't very happy with them...
LO
Ding, they sucked.

ONAROLL
10-12-2004, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=Blown 472]Ding, they sucked.[/QUOTE
Blown, whats the story?, restrictive? leaks?, fit?..........Vic

Moneypitt
10-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Why can't you run ford headers on a ford? Adapting BBC headers to a ford can't possibly work as well as a set of real ford headers. Is it a supply problem? don't any of the big name guys make ford headers for a boat?? Enlighten me please......MP

ONAROLL
10-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Why can't you run ford headers on a ford? Adapting BBC headers to a ford can't possibly work as well as a set of real ford headers. Is it a supply problem? don't any of the big name guys make ford headers for a boat?? Enlighten me please......MP
Moneypitt, I have rewarder OTT's on both my BBF's, I bought a set of non water injected BBC OTT's that are black, my question was posted because the exhaust ports in BBC's and BBF's are not that much different, if I can utilize the adapters without sacrificing performance, I can have the dry bbc headers Jet Hot coated(150.00) and use them on my race boat with a savings of several hundred dollars, and not screw up the chrome on my 700.00 wet headers running them dry.........Vic

Moneypitt
10-12-2004, 11:52 PM
I guess that makes sense, although the engine designs,IE: the intake runner size and lenght, as well as the exhaust design and lenght are different, won't that and the idea of adding the adaptors reduce the effective tuned header advantages. Seems to me that the header guys must have had a little more than just looks in mind when they engineered the header tube design. The tube and collector lenght are critical to the tuned effect the headers bring into the flow picture........IMO you're wasting your time and down grading the performance of the headers and in turn the engine...Just my .02..........MP

ONAROLL
10-13-2004, 12:11 AM
I guess that makes sense, although the engine designs,IE: the intake runner size and lenght, as well as the exhaust design and lenght are different, won't that and the idea of adding the adaptors reduce the effective tuned header advantages. Seems to me that the header guys must have had a little more than just looks in mind when they engineered the header tube design. The tube and collector lenght are critical to the tuned effect the headers bring into the flow picture........IMO you're wasting your time and down grading the performance of the headers and in turn the engine...Just my .02..........MP
Moneypitt, your comments are true, to a point, the close up picture that hackJob sent me of the adapter is approx 1" thick and the exhaust runners are "flowed" 1" (from BBF to BBC) it looks like a smooth gas transition, my original post was simply asking a question as to the pro's and con's of these adapters,from peeps that have used them, as to your comment about the looks of the headers its not about looks at all, you will achieve greater performance from non water injected headers and thats what I want , if I can save several hundred dollars and not suffer on performance then its a plus for me, if I cannot then I have my question answered......Vic

Moneypitt
10-13-2004, 06:38 AM
My questions were about performance, and the tuned effect of an engineered exhaust. The primary tube diameter as well as length, and the collector diameter and length are engineered to create a "tuned" effect all the way to the top of the carb. I just wonder how this is affected with this mix and match of adapting one type to another engine. Kind of like using a carb adaptor to mount a non matching carb to a favorite intake. I can see the advantage of "dry" over "wet", but depending on camshaft design, sometimes a little wet can actually work better because of the back pressure.......MP

cstraub
10-13-2004, 07:26 AM
What if you sold your heads and invested in a set of Blue Thunders with the Chevy Exhaust port and then you could pick up a set of "cheaper" chevy exhaust manifolds. Just a suggestion.
Chris

Lightning
10-13-2004, 10:22 AM
I just ended up with 4 sets of Cheby headers, I would like to use em on my BBF, Vic
What kind of header for Chevy? Care to get rid of a set?

Thunderbutt
10-13-2004, 07:24 PM
I agree with Moneypitt. I don't know the firing order of the ford, if it is different then the chevy wouldn't the tub lengths be off. Or does it make any difference?

GofastRacer
10-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Wait a minute here, are we talking about "custom" made headers??? if you're talking something like Bassetts, they are all the same whether it's Ford or Chevy, just the flange is different. Unless you're going to get into fine tuning from the intake to the exhaust, a 1/2" adapter ain't going to mean shit!.

Moneypitt
10-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Art, I didn't know how "engineered" boat headers were, or weren't, If in fact they don't care about tuning their product then adapt the hell out of them. I'll think twice before stumbling blindly into a one size fits all type of header again......................MP

hack job
10-14-2004, 10:40 AM
What if you sold your heads and invested in a set of Blue Thunders with the Chevy Exhaust port and then you could pick up a set of "cheaper" chevy exhaust manifolds. Just a suggestion.
Chris
i think he was looking for a cost effective answer hints the reason for the exhaust adapters. ( i wne the route you said and that is a very pricey trip, but well worth it) ;)

ONAROLL
10-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the opinions, I share the same opinion as gofastracer, I bolted on alot of headers over the years, and helped with alot more than that, not one time have I ever seen the engine build/swap come to a screaching halt because the headers that were custom tuned for that exact engine combination had not arrived. Hackjob, Im waiting on the brown truck to get a look at these headers I'll PM you.......thanks again Vic

ONAROLL
10-15-2004, 10:02 AM
What kind of header for Chevy? Care to get rid of a set?
Lightning, Yep, lemme see what Im going to use, and get get back at ya, Vic