PDA

View Full Version : msd failures

Mark Sims
10-11-2004, 06:37 PM
I was wondering if more automotive style boxes were going bad than there 6M2 marine version? I have the 6M2 and its been trouble free for 9 years but now I'm starting to wonder if I'm on borrowed time. How many of you have had the marine box take a dump on you?

clownpuncher
10-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Mine took a dump last year right after we launched. I bought a new one that day and installed it in about ten minutes. I plan on sending my old one to MSD to have them fix it, that way I'll have a spare. They're great, but, they do have a history (I've heard) of going out totally unexpectedly. I've even heard of brand new ones out of the box being bad. Nine trouble free years is a good thing and I doubt that's the norm.
BTW - does anyone know how to test it in the boat to see if it's working or not? Thanks
Roland

Squirtin Thunder
10-11-2004, 07:12 PM
OK,
Here ya go what you do is start your engine and slowly pull a plug wire off while one wet hand is on the valve cover. If you get a weak shock it is going bad, so test again this time grab closer to the spark plug and hold the valve cover real tight, because if the first test was a fluk it may want to throw you a few hundred feet.
Good Luck
Jim
Rated (R) parental supervision required

Taylorman
10-11-2004, 07:16 PM
OK,
Here ya go what you do is start your engine and slowly pull a plug wire off while one wet hand is on the valve cover. If you get a weak shock it is going bad, so test again this time grab closer to the spark plug and hold the valve cover real tight, because if the first test was a fluk it may want to throw you a few hundred feet.
Good Luck
Jim
Rated (R) parental supervision required
LMAO. I got shocked once by mine and that shit hurt.

clownpuncher
10-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Thanks S.T.!! Great tip. I'm thinking that the intensity of the shock is directly related to the amount of beers on board?
FOCKER! :D